PDA

View Full Version : Poll! Ladies - what size hoods do you wear?

Panchita
04-22-2008, 12:11
I'm considering another "take-a-chance-without-trying-on-first' purchase and I'm surprised that hoods come in so many sizes. I think my head is on the small size, but what exactly constitutes small? My neck is long - what the heck do I do about it? What do you wear?

DollFin
04-22-2008, 12:39
Try a Henderson Hyperstretch hood. Sunce you think you're a small, order that and it's plenty stretchy and comfy. I am also a "swan neck" and mine fits great.

Eurodiver
04-22-2008, 14:03
I have very thick hair and a medium head {I guess} and I have to have a large or XLg depending on who makes it.
It's like shoes it all depends on the manufacture.

TRACI
04-22-2008, 14:31
I just ordered a Henderson 5/3 Hyperstretch, should be here tomarrow. I ordered a medium, so we will see.

In the past when I wore a hood, I felt really claustophobic, so maybe the Hyperstretch will be more comfortable.

dallasdivergirl
04-22-2008, 15:36
My hood comes with my 5 mm. Keeps my neck nice & warm.

I did try the Pinnacle hood when I was in Cozumel. It was ok but not nearly as warm as my 5mm hood.

ScubaJenn81
04-23-2008, 11:13
I think I have a normal sized head, I ordered a large, and it is fine, as I like to be able to move a bit.

mselizann
04-23-2008, 12:55
I have a big brain (that's what my husband says when he tries to make me feel better about my big head) and my ears have many piercings- I have 2 hoods, a L and a XL

TRACI
04-23-2008, 13:31
I got my medium hyperstretch in today from ST, I think it fits ok. It feels so much less confining then the other hoods I have tried on, I think I will like it alot. Will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can try it out.

ChrisA
04-23-2008, 13:43
I'm considering another "take-a-chance-without-trying-on-first' purchase and I'm surprised that hoods come in so many sizes. I think my head is on the small size, but what exactly constitutes small? My neck is long - what the heck do I do about it? What do you wear?

I have a bunch of hoods that were donated to a fundraiser. Of course these are hoods people could not use. All are S and XS. I've been trying to unload these with offers like "make any donation and get a hood" but I still have a half dozen because S and XS rarely fit anyone except children. If you've got kids I've got a deal. So I'd say you'd have to be the exception to need a S or XS

This is not the item to order over the Internet unless you are replacing a hood and know your size in that brand (yes sizing varies by brand). Go and try on some hoods. Getting one that is either to small or to large is not good. To small restrict blood flow in the neck the other lets water flsh in and is not warm. Fit has to be perfect. Try before you buy and keep it on for five minutes of so. (Yes you'll look goofy walking around the store with a hood on.)

Also note that custom hoods are not really all that expensive. $45 will get you one that is made to order in the color you like and is thick enough to be warm even up in No. Cal.

Panchita
04-24-2008, 11:51
...I went ahead and ordered the henderson hyperstretch 3mm in Small. We'll see how it feels when it gets here. Boy will I be disappointed if it's was too big... :smiley29:

jimmysdevoted
04-27-2008, 14:23
I make dolls and when i ahve to find a wig to fit one i have to measure around their head at an angle.. My hat size is like a 7, and it's 21 inches around, measuring the same as for a doll.........
dont they have a chart for the hood sizes..
after going out yeatsrday this woudl have been a welcome item!

I wonder if i could punch a hole in for my pony tail??? or better yet make one.........
j

Panchita
04-30-2008, 14:47
That Henderson stuff sure is stretchy! The small fits fine and seems to be comfortable around the neck as well, so now I just have to go home and poke holes in it - wish me luck! :smiley31:

DiverMom
04-30-2008, 19:33
I was thinking of getting a hood for the OW cert if the DM doesn't provide them. Does it really help with warmth? I'm really nervous because one of the guys said it is so cold at the quarry that it is painful. Ouch!

ChrisA
04-30-2008, 19:40
I was thinking of getting a hood for the OW cert if the DM doesn't provide them. Does it really help with warmth? I'm really nervous because one of the guys said it is so cold at the quarry that it is painful. Ouch!

What temp is the water? you need a hood, I'd say even if the water is 60F. I think peoplesay 20% of the heat is lost through the head. So yes hoods are effective.

If the only water near your home is the quarry then invest in a good hood and wetsuit as that is where most of your diving will take place. Most of us don't have the time or money to make frequent longer trips, so i's the local water.

julz
04-30-2008, 21:52
i took ow last year at this time you will definitely need a hood now and probably year round it stays pretty chilly

ParrotheadDiver
05-01-2008, 11:48
That Henderson stuff sure is stretchy! The small fits fine and seems to be comfortable around the neck as well, so now I just have to go home and poke holes in it - wish me luck! :smiley31:

how did that hole punching thing go....I need to do that to my beanie:smiley20:

Panchita
05-01-2008, 14:12

how did that hole punching thing go....I need to do that to my beanie:smiley20:

I used a small, hot nail and just punched it through. The tricky part is not stabbing the sucker..er...volunteer you get to hold the thing tight for you... :smiley36:

KACY
05-02-2008, 23:58
i just got a large 6.5mm Deep See hood, and I didn't think I had that large of a head. but i went to my LDS and that's what fit with my hair- because I throw it up in a ponytail or braid it so i dont have a cone head :smiley2:

it's super warm and great for keepin the cold out. i reccomend those vent holes at the top. really makes a difference.