PDA

View Full Version : Post counts??

ScottZeagle
04-22-2008, 13:35
What should the ratio of actual dives to the number of internet forum posts be??

1 to 10,000

1 to 1000?

1 to 100??

1 to 1?

How many times have your read a review of a product, or read advice from a person, only to find out later that they have not even completed their open water classes??

Really, this is an "across the board" question...I just used scuba here, for obvious reasons...

What got me thinking about this was the fact that I was doing some research on rottweiler training and had one guy in particular who was giving me a list of things that I ABSOLUTELY had to do in order to own a rottie...when I went back and looked at his post history, the guy wasn't even a dog owner 8 months prior...and now he is an internet expert.

So come on guys (and ladies) tell me what you think...

:)

DollFin
04-22-2008, 13:42
I've answered questions where I might not necessarily qualify as an "expert", however I may have seen an article, or information on a different forum that had the answers the person was seeking. In those cases, I will ALWAYS indicate that I'm just passing along someone else's expertise and I would never try to take credit for the answer.

Defman
04-22-2008, 13:47
Yeah, I saw a thread like that this morning. The guy was going on about something and his profile says he's got 25-50 dives... I wanted to call him out, but since we're the "friendly board" I didn't.....

obrules15
04-22-2008, 13:59
I don't mind if everybody contributes but I would like people to indicate what their experience is based on. If you are commenting on a product or diving procedure I would like to see a qualification of where and how you got those opinions.

harb99
04-22-2008, 14:20
Yeah, I saw a thread like that this morning. The guy was going on about something and his profile says he's got 25-50 dives... I wanted to call him out, but since we're the "friendly board" I didn't.....

wasnt me was it? If so and I was/am wrong, please do not hesitate to correct me - normally I try to add "IMO" or "I had read / heard this or that" and also try to make sure that I am not spouting off at the head about stuff I shouldn't.

fireflock
04-22-2008, 14:42
I think most people understand that you should treat stuff you read on the internet sort of like stories you hear at a bar (or on a dive boat?). There's some good advice, some bad advice, and some stuff that was just made up for reasons that no one can comprehend.

ScubaToys Larry
04-22-2008, 14:45
Sure... and this thread coming from scott... who talks a big story... but I've never seen him dive. Sure.. pictures... but with photoshop... who knows?

Has anyone actually seen him in the water? Huh?? Have you??

harb99
04-22-2008, 15:01
Sure... and this thread coming from scott... who talks a big story... but I've never seen him dive. Sure.. pictures... but with photoshop... who knows?

:smilie39:

scubasamurai
04-22-2008, 15:01
that is why you take everything with a grain of salt and do your research on top of what people say. personal if i haven't done it or proficent in it, i will not give advice.

ScottZeagle
04-22-2008, 15:09

Joe told me that when I get 250 posts on here that I was going on your next big dive and travel destination as a guest of the store...and no, I'm not talking about the lake!!!

I have never known Joe to lie to me, so I am trying to get my post count up.

And, for the record, I have over 25 dives, so my 1:10 ratio is in full effect!!!

:D

No Misses
04-22-2008, 15:11
1:20 (dives:Posts) seems like a good ratio to me. I think I am currently somewhere around 1:2.

ScubaToys Larry
04-22-2008, 15:17
Heck... we let people teach business classes that have never been in business, my brother prosecutes drug dealers and he never dealt drugs (I think :smiley29:) so why not let people post without a lot of dives! But it is nice when people fill out their profiles.

ScottZeagle
04-22-2008, 15:22
4 posts to go...and I actually filled out my profile a bit - just for you LD!!!

(although I don't log dives and I wanted to have less than you, so I fudged the number a little)

Where we going on the trip and can you tell me if rottweilers are supposed to eat oranges?? My dog loves them...

ChrisC
04-22-2008, 15:25
By any measure I am a newbie, and as such don't feel I am in any position to offer advice. I do try to share information that is relevant based on my limited experience, and what I have learned in my training, or from other divers. I am mostly trying to absorb information from the amazing amount of experience available here. I guess posting here helps to get the diving monkey off my back until I can get under the water again! Just feeding into the addiction! :smiley9:

ChrisC
04-22-2008, 15:28
4 posts to go...and I actually filled out my profile a bit - just for you LD!!!

(although I don't log dives and I wanted to have less than you, so I fudged the number a little)

Where we going on the trip and can you tell me if rottweilers are supposed to eat oranges?? My dog loves them...

I don't know about rotties, but both of my beagles will eat just about anything lying around (or in the garbage!) They can't stand grapes for some reason. It's hysterical to watch them try! Too much fruit though and they need to be outside...a lot!

Sounder
04-22-2008, 15:28
Being a very active poster on several boards, and mod on a couple, I've certainly seen people weigh in on subjects they know nothing about. Recently there was someone on a board telling someone else what kind of HID light to get - this person had JUST finished OW and didn't own a light at all. Folks gently reminded him that perhaps a listen and learn strategy would be better.

I like to comment on things - I'm a talkative, outgoing guy but if I'm not versed on a subject, I try to keep my posts to questions and try not to sound like an expert.

As for owning Rotties, how different can they be from Chihuahuas? I've got a Chihuahua, and Chihuahuas are dogs just like Rotties, so that should make me an expert, right? Whatever - so the only thing I actually know about Rotties is they eat a lot, and so they poo a lot, and they're AWESOME dogs... and my home-owner's insurance won't let us own one.

ScottZeagle
04-22-2008, 15:40
I don't know about rotties, but both of my beagles will eat just about anything lying around (or in the garbage!) They can't stand grapes for some reason. It's hysterical to watch them try! Too much fruit though and they need to be outside...a lot!

My dog jumps up and grabs one off the tree, brings it in the house and lays down on her rug, then peels it with her teeth.

When she is finished, there is only a small pile of orange rinds left...

It is pretty cool, but I'm not sure it is great for her.

ScubaToys Larry
04-22-2008, 15:44

My dog jumps up and grabs one off the tree, brings it in the house and lays down on her rug, then peels it with her teeth.

When she is finished, there is only a small pile of orange rinds left...

It is pretty cool, but I'm not sure it is great for her.

Well actually Scott... My master thesis was on Dogs and fruit consumption. Here's a brief synopsis:

Is it essential that dogs eat fruit?
No. All of the nutrients present in fruit can be obtained from other sources. However, by adding fruit to the diet, we ensure a wide variety of healthy foods. This gives the greatest chance of providing a balanced diet with plenty of longevity and immune system promoting nutrients. Any fruit can be fed to dogs, however tropical fruits are a particularly valuable food as they contain lots of antioxidants. Scientists have discovered that the enzymes and antioxidants present in fruit, many of which have not yet been identified, keep the skin and indeed the whole body free of degeneration and old age diseases.

Whole Apple
Unpeeled apples are especially high in non-pro-vitamin A carotenes and pectin. Pectin is a remarkable type of fiber that has been shown to exert a number of beneficial effects. Due to its gel forming fiber, it can improve the intestinal muscle's ability to push waste through the gastrointestinal tract. Pectin also binds to and eliminates toxins in the gut. Apples are also rich in beta carotene and vitamin C as well as several B complex vitamins including vitamin B6, folic acid and lots of potassium.
Whole Pear
Pears are an excellent source of water-soluble fiber, including pectin, which makes them useful in toning the intestines. Fresh pears contain potassium, which is necessary for maintaining heartbeat, muscle contraction, nerve transmission, and carbohydrate metabolism. Pears also contain Vitamin C. An important antioxidant, Vitamin C is essential for helping prevent free radical damage.

Whole Grapefruit
Grapefruit is a good source of flavonoids, water soluble fibers, potassium, vitamin C, and folic acid. Grapefruit, like other citrus fruits has been shown to exert some anticancer effects in both human and animal studies. Grapefruit pectin has been shown to possess similar cholesterol lowering action to other fruit pectins. The whole fruit contains more pectin than the juice. Recently, grapefruit has been shown to normalize hematocrit levels. The word hematocrit refers to the percentage of red blood cells per volume of blood. Low hematocrit levels usually reflect anemia. High hematocrit levels may reflect severe dehydration or an increased number of red blood cells. Grapefruit seeds are well known as an anti-fungal agent in that their consumption kills many different types of parasites and assists the body in producing beneficial bacteria. A biologically active natural ingredient found in the seeds kills strep, staph, salmonella, e.coli, candida, herpes, influenza, parasites, fungi and traveler's diarrhea, and is used as an antibiotic, anti fungal, antiprotozoan and antiviral.

Whole Orange
Everyone knows that oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, but they have more to offer nutritionally than just this nutrient. One orange contains generous levels of folate (folic acid), potassium, and thiamin, as well as some calcium and magnesium. Equally important to the nutritional value of oranges is their supply of flavonoids, making oranges a valuable aid in strengthening the immune system, supporting connective tissues, and promoting overall good health. Oranges have been shown to protect against cancer, and fight viral infections.

Sounder
04-22-2008, 16:01
Wow. Natural holistic food and supplements for your dog, cat, horse or bird: Nature's Pet (http://www.naturespet.com/barfingredients.html)

...and I found it using the Dogpile Web Search Home Page (http://www.DOGpile.com) search engine (which, BTW, is an awesome search engine).

SkuaSeptember
04-22-2008, 16:44
I consider myself the quiet type of forum member and am running at about 5 times as many dives as posts, but I'll chime in on this one.

Certainly anyone looking for informative replies needs to keep in mind the usual caveats about free advice, but that doesn't mean that even a noobie can't offer up some very insightful and valuable info.

The converse is also true. There are more than a few divers out there with lots of years and lots of dives who haven't learned a thing since their OW class and have forgotten a lot of what they did learn.

Personally, I like to read the posts from those who post frequently, have a good number of dives and seem to be continuing their personal education. They are a lot like the kid in school who always had their hand up and usually had the right answer. Thats the kid you want to help you with your homework!:smiley20:

Excuse me now, I have to go do 5 more dives!

cummings66
04-22-2008, 16:44
I don't mind if everybody contributes but I would like people to indicate what their experience is based on.

But then you get yelled at, like a recent poster told me, I don't want to hear about book learning. I want to know how it's done in real life. The point was, I do it in real life like I learned in class.

There is no pleasing everybody. As to what I think is needed is simple hands on experience. If I say it's better than X then it's because I've used X and Y and know by direct observation.

If I saw it and noticed it was a POS and didn't need to use it I'll also say that. A person can tell when somethings junk without having to endanger their life to prove it. For example, if I say spare air is not worth it at 150 feet then maybe it's because I could do the math and know it's not going to cut the mustard.

However, I do get what Scott's saying and to an extent I agree with it in so far as I believe a person's got to have experience with it to base a conclusion on. I see way too many posts saying a BP/W will make you go face down, and they're from people who've never used one for the most part. I think usage is key.

Largo
04-22-2008, 18:03
The forum is entertaining, but I don't take the advice too seriously.

Lot of questionable info out there.

obrules15
04-23-2008, 08:30
I don't mind if everybody contributes but I would like people to indicate what their experience is based on.

But then you get yelled at, like a recent poster told me, I don't want to hear about book learning. I want to know how it's done in real life. The point was, I do it in real life like I learned in class.

There is no pleasing everybody. As to what I think is needed is simple hands on experience. If I say it's better than X then it's because I've used X and Y and know by direct observation.

If I saw it and noticed it was a POS and didn't need to use it I'll also say that. A person can tell when somethings junk without having to endanger their life to prove it. For example, if I say spare air is not worth it at 150 feet then maybe it's because I could do the math and know it's not going to cut the mustard.

However, I do get what Scott's saying and to an extent I agree with it in so far as I believe a person's got to have experience with it to base a conclusion on. I see way too many posts saying a BP/W will make you go face down, and they're from people who've never used one for the most part. I think usage is key.

I think that is exactly the point, if you say you have dived with a BP/W and have stopped because of how it floats you vs. just that you read that it floats you face down it doesn't change the advice it does however give it the appropriate substance based on the context.

As to people people getting upset because of where the advice came from, well, they are just numnuts. Everything is valuable in context. I was diving last week and there was one person who was doing everything wrong on the boat. It was actually awesome because he became the example of what not to do for everyone on the boat, especially the newbies.

thor
04-23-2008, 09:10
I consider myself the quiet type of forum member and am running at about 5 times as many dives as posts, but I'll chime in on this one.

Certainly anyone looking for informative replies needs to keep in mind the usual caveats about free advice, but that doesn't mean that even a noobie can't offer up some very insightful and valuable info.

The converse is also true. There are more than a few divers out there with lots of years and lots of dives who haven't learned a thing since their OW class and have forgotten a lot of what they did learn.

Personally, I like to read the posts from those who post frequently, have a good number of dives and seem to be continuing their personal education. They are a lot like the kid in school who always had their hand up and usually had the right answer. Thats the kid you want to help you with your homework!:smiley20:

Excuse me now, I have to go do 5 more dives!

Well said. I know plenty of lawyers who have been practicing for 20+ years that are bloody awful. I also know some attorneys that have been practicing for < 5years, that are brilliant. It's a shame because many people would rather hire the former just because they have more experience. Experience definitely helps, but it should not be the only factor. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to do another 5,000 dives to make my dive/post ratio more acceptable, as well as to make my comments on which masks I like more reliable.

Largo
04-23-2008, 09:11
Yeah, but there is a lot of this type of thing:

Post #1: I am thinking of purchasing a jacket-style BCD. Any opinions?

Reply: A jacket-style? You're going to die a horrible death if you use a jacket-style BCD. Only a total nincompoop would consider making such a newbie-mistake.

skdvr
04-23-2008, 10:00

I agree, completely... Some times there is something that one person with YEARS of experience has been doing one way for so long that they have never really thought to try it a different way.

When I was into skydiving, I jumped a lot with the Golden Knights (Army Parachute Team) and all of these guys had thousands of jumps. I remember one day, one of them was packing their parachute and was having a problem with a broken rubberband (tryign to remove it) and it was tied on there so tight he just could not get it. Someone with 5 jumps asked him if he could show him a little trick. The golden knight said "Sure" and the new guy had the rubberband off in about 2 sec. He showed him a simple little thing that no-one else around there had thought about doing, and this guy had 5 jumps and this was only his 3rd weekend at the DZ.

I say it is best to listen to what everyone has to say, but you have to make your own descision based on the other OPINIONS.

That is just my Opinion...

Phil

Foo2
04-23-2008, 10:46

Reply: A jacket-style? You're going to die a horrible death if you use a jacket-style BCD. Only a total nincompoop would consider making such a newbie-mistake.

You shouldn't see any replies like that here...but if you do, please notify a mod or report the post.:smiley2:

Sounder
04-23-2008, 13:24

You shouldn't see any replies like that here...but if you do, please notify a mod or report the post.:smiley2:

WONDERFUL!!! Replies like these suck.

I love responses that include "well there are several jacket-style options and there are these other type of options too. They've all for their pros and cons.... etc. I'm a DIR type but I really try to be inclusive in my postings... this is just part of the new "FUE Movement" - Friendly Underwater Explorers!!!

mm_dm
04-23-2008, 15:48
New diver, old diver, no dives- go for it. Like Jack Handey said, "Remember, amatuers built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic".

Marcus
04-23-2008, 15:53
I don't mind if everybody contributes but I would like people to indicate what their experience is based on. If you are commenting on a product or diving procedure I would like to see a qualification of where and how you got those opinions.

Curious, but why should people have to qualify opinions? Opinion is opinion. Whether one person dove a regulator once or 1000 times. I don't like hot pink wetsuits, and have never been diving in one. You might have 1000 dives in one and swear buy it. Doesn't make you more qualified to supply an opinion on hot pink wetsuits though...you just prefer the color. Get my drift?

Marcus
04-23-2008, 15:57

I agree, completely... Some times there is something that one person with YEARS of experience has been doing one way for so long that they have never really thought to try it a different way.

When I was into skydiving, I jumped a lot with the Golden Knights (Army Parachute Team) and all of these guys had thousands of jumps. I remember one day, one of them was packing their parachute and was having a problem with a broken rubberband (tryign to remove it) and it was tied on there so tight he just could not get it. Someone with 5 jumps asked him if he could show him a little trick. The golden knight said "Sure" and the new guy had the rubberband off in about 2 sec. He showed him a simple little thing that no-one else around there had thought about doing, and this guy had 5 jumps and this was only his 3rd weekend at the DZ.

I say it is best to listen to what everyone has to say, but you have to make your own descision based on the other OPINIONS.

That is just my Opinion...

Phil

Exactly...well put. I have a friend who recently got me back into diving. He's a tec diver, has thousands of dives, and swears by his Transplate and Rec wing. He's been diving the rec wing since they came out. I've read a ton of negative reviews on Rec wing for doubles/singles etc. Who is right? My friend who swears by it after thousand of dives? Or others here who probably have as many? Maybe my friend has never tried other wings?? Point being that experience has little to do with opinions on most topics.

reactive
04-23-2008, 15:59
Keep in mind that there are different strokes for different folks. Ask him to try out his rec wing setup and judge for your self!

obrules15
04-23-2008, 20:52

Curious, but why should people have to qualify opinions? Opinion is opinion. Whether one person dove a regulator once or 1000 times. I don't like hot pink wetsuits, and have never been diving in one. You might have 1000 dives in one and swear buy it. Doesn't make you more qualified to supply an opinion on hot pink wetsuits though...you just prefer the color. Get my drift?

To me knowing why you think what you do adds depth to my understanding. That is actually how I am all of the time not just with posting. Everyone's opinions come from a body of experiences which are different for each individual. It doesn't make them better or worse, just different. So it help's me to know that you hate snorkels because they don't look cool vs. you hate snorkels because one got snagged and pulled your mask off. I don't have a problem with opinions, I just want to know why.

Largo
04-23-2008, 20:58
I think that Scott probably knows what he is talking about.

cummings66
04-23-2008, 21:43
To me knowing why you think what you do adds depth to my understanding.

I think that in some cases an explanation of why is useful, many of my postings state why I like things, especially steel cylinders. But, many of them also just say things like this is how it is.

For example, do I need to say why the sky is blue or can I just say the sky is blue. There are some things that are what they are.

jwdizney
04-23-2008, 22:00
IMO...
I think there are fundamental experiences that only can be learned from many dives, and I seek those experiences within the walls of this forum. I also believe that even then newest of divers will have encounters unique to their own dive experiences that can provide a perspective that may not be so easily understood without actually experiencing it. One thing VERY unique to this forum vs forum "b" is that experiences from all skill levels are offered and we don't have that "my way or the highway" hiearchy from more experienced divers. (for the most part..) personal experiences and opinions are just that.. PERSONAL.. may apply to someone else, may not! nonetheless it doesn't hurt to share and discuss. this is just another way we learn about our sport. some advice is necessary and obvious (i.e. don't go in caves without proper gear and training, be a good buddy, etc..) some should be taken with a grain of salt, but you never know when another diver or diver-to-be will relate to your experience and benefit from your thread.

We can learn a lot from the varied experienced divers on this board! I already have! but we shouldn't totally discount the new divers experiences and opinions. like the earlier post said, "amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic".. (nice quote, by the way!)...

I am, however, concerned that Larry knows WAY too much about fruit! does he ever sleep????..:smiley29:

:smilie40:

Largo
04-23-2008, 22:04
You can learn a lot more by taking a DAN course.

terrillja
04-23-2008, 22:24

Wait, so do you dive a jacket BC!? Foo, you know that you really need a bpw or you'll die! The only hard part with the bpw is where to attach the spare air though... (in all seriousness, I've seen it before though)

Well f I keep posting at this rate, I'm going to need to go do some more diving :)

No Misses
04-24-2008, 09:34
I have to hurry up and make one more post. I just hit 666. I don't want anybody to think that I am the Devil.
:laughpf: :biggrinangelA:

Oops. this is in the man laws section. I'll have to go post in a dive related one.

Foo2
04-24-2008, 10:03
Wait, so do you dive a jacket BC!? Foo, you know that you really need a bpw or you'll die! The only hard part with the bpw is where to attach the spare air though... (in all seriousness, I've seen it before though)

Well f I keep posting at this rate, I'm going to need to go do some more diving :)

No way! I'm not gonna die with my bc. I have a quality made in the USA Zeagle! :smiley20:

DevilDiver
04-24-2008, 10:12
I have to hurry up and make one more post. I just hit 666. I don't want anybody to think that I am the Devil.
:laughpf: :biggrinangelA:

Oops. this is in the man laws section. I'll have to go post in a dive related one.

Hey now.......You worry about your aim and let me handle the Devil thing.:smiley2:

Diver Dennis
04-24-2008, 19:55
Heck... we let people teach business classes that have never been in business, my brother prosecutes drug dealers and he never dealt drugs (I think :smiley29:) so why not let people post without a lot of dives! But it is nice when people fill out their profiles.

I think thats fine too. It is the delivery that can be the problem. A lot of new divers who really get into diving also do a lot of reading about their new found passion so they can be very well informed. What I don't like is when they pass themselves off as experts. I'll listen to any argument or point being made if it is presented in a non-confrontational and respectful way. Experience is an important factor though and 100 dives does not make you experienced. I have over 2k dives and I'm still learning.

You're right about the profile Larry. Most of us can't give much consideration to someone who does not fill out their profile so we can see where they are coming from.

Grin
04-25-2008, 16:27
To be honest, much of the time I see posters with thousands and thousands of posts and I think :smiley29: I don't want to be one of those guys :smilie39:

Largo
04-25-2008, 16:30
My eyes began to cross at about 200.

Splitlip
04-27-2008, 10:13
Provocative post Scott.
I must admit I am somewhat conflicted. In ScubaBoard's great donut v. horseshoe wing thread of 2005-2006, a poster got beat up for offering his opinion. He had used both types of wings, but only had 50-100 dives. And some thought he was not qualified to comment.
OTOH, I am amused when any diver comments on a piece of gear having had little or no experience with it or similar products.
example: "_______ regulator is a great breather (Compared to the rental I used in my open water class)". " I tried it out in the pool (not in 120 ft of water while fighting a fish or a current or anxiety)"

And, FTR, I do feel a little "dirty" because my number of posts exceeds my dives. :)

obrules15
04-27-2008, 13:52
It just really bugs me to see someone with 6 posts, less than 24 dives, pontificate on something that they obviously don't know enough about, because they are mistaken, but when you read the post they act like they are the expert. Everybody should be able to post, and no one should be harrassed for their posts but GEEZ!! I guess if everyone filled out their profiles that solves the problem, but still. :smiley5: I know I should be a better human being and rise above it. Humph!!!!!

Flatliner
04-27-2008, 14:51
Scott,

Does the fact that I have fewer dives than posts mean I have to stop recommending my Flathead VI to people?

matt151617
05-02-2008, 12:16
That's why you need to look at what multiple say. If a new regulator comes out, and one person says "this is the best ever made" and 10 people say it's total crap...

It's the internet though. There will always be someone shooting their mouth off about something they don't know, or e-thugging, etc.

Largo
05-02-2008, 20:04
I think that they put the last gift certificate at 250 for a reason.

You need that many posts to learn the rules.

1. Spare Air is bad, Mkay.

2. Any pony rig less than 20 cu ft is bad, Mkay.

3. Sharing something new that you just learned about is bad, Mkay.

I really think that they should separate this forum into two sections.

Section A: People who want to share information and enjoy some virtual social interaction.

Section B: Know-it-alls who want to belittle each other, and run-down every new product that comes on the market.

Splitlip
05-02-2008, 20:35

Section A: People who want to share information and enjoy some virtual social interaction.

Section B: Know-it-alls who want to belittle each other, and run-down every new product that comes on the market.

Very interesting that you say that.

When this forum 1st started up, a lot of people came over here from Scubaboard because they did not like being bullied. This forum was friendlier.
I said, it is a matter of numbers and as this forum grows there will be negativity, sarcasm and demeaning posts instead of discussion here too.
Well, this forum has grown and discourse will be seen by some as infamatory and argumentative. And there will be bullies.
It is simply the nature of the beast. It needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
I have seen posts which refer to this as a BPW forum:smiley36:. Many of the early members here did not like hearing about BPW every time they asked a BC question on Scubaboard. It is all numbers.

Largo
05-02-2008, 20:48
You are right. This is much better than scuba board.

I like diving in BP/W. It's like you are diving in nothing at all. But, they cost too much.

I want to learn new information from a forum, not be belittled for not already knowing it. And, I've been diving for awhile.

Splitlip
05-02-2008, 20:56
I dive a BPW and use split fins most of the time. I usually use a necklace for my secondary, but have used and am now using an Atomic SS1 as an alternate. I also use a 40" primary hose.
It's all good and works for me.
My 16 year old daughter uses a Scubpro Bella BC. I got hammered and recieved infinite **** for that over on Scuba Board. Even though she used, with my supervision, a BPW and 3 or 4 other BCD before we chose the Bella (which she allso used before buying).
On this Board I only recieved minimal **** for suggesting a 40" primary hose in the "DIR" forum.
Tim

Largo
05-02-2008, 21:03
Are we swimming around a taking pictures on vacation,

or are we infiltrating Beirut to extract stolen Stinger missiles?

How much is enough?

Splitlip
05-02-2008, 21:23

How much is enough?

:smilie39:
Well, I might get flamed for this, but some agencies and philosphies do refer to dives as "missions". Really.

elijahb
05-02-2008, 22:16
The internet is a valuable resource. Beware that there is misleading information. I have limited dives but that does not represent my theoretical knowledge only my practical experience. I spent a lot of time in my dive shop after I did my pool a classroom session. I probably have spent as much time diving in a pool this year as most people spend diving in one year.

LCFrigon
05-02-2008, 23:05
This is an amusing thread....for one thing this is the internet...THE INTERNET!! everything has to be read with a very critical eye and then refferenced and researched. Simple things like "Has anyone had a problem with this mask cracking" are much easier to accept advice and opinions on.

However, when it comes to different theories and idealologies on diving they are, from what i have found, pretty much like a religious following and people have hard times accepting views not similiar to thier own espescially when they THINK they are right.

I follow simple rules:
1) ask questions - it is why i am here is to broaden my knowledge base not show it off.
2) base responses on the merit they offer, not just the # of dives logged since i could easily click 50000+ on the drop down menu.
3) if ever offering an opinion on a subject to make sure I do not come across as an expert and that my opinion is not the law.
4)don't push my beliefs onto others - hate when people try to do it to me so (SO LISTEN TO ME ON THIS!!!!!) ;) just messin with ya:)
5) understand that ALL people can be idiots at times and that miscomunications happen all the time.
6) be true to yourself and understand that posts written here may be taken as literal truths and that in this sport that is dangerous and people can get hurt...with that in mind don't post on subjects I know nothing about unless it is to ask questions to clarify what i do not understand.
7) TO NEVER FORGET THAT THIS IS THE INTERNET!!!!!! I could be your grandma and you would never know!!! ;) well other than my Id is my name and I don't try to hide my identity in my posts......hmmmmm better not be any identity thiefs stealin all my stuff...wait nevermind just remembered i have nothing worth all the effort to streal;)

Anyhoo.....those are my 2cents...and they are worth exactly that;)
love the titanic/arc quote btw

Cheers,
Lorne

harb99
05-03-2008, 16:46

How much is enough?

too funny :smilie39:

fire diver
05-03-2008, 17:18
I don't think the posting ratio really has a correlation. Some people like to spend a lot of time chatting online. Some people are stuck in 3rd world hell-holes and use boards as an escape.

I have been chat-boarding almost as long as I have been diving. One thing I have noticed time after time.... The "know-it-alls" expose themselves. I have seen quite afew people with little or NO diving experience try to act like experts. One even started out by claiming he was a trimix instructor. It doesn't take long to figure out which member have real experience and which are just parroting what they read elsewhere.

fire diver
05-03-2008, 17:24

I've been invloved in every one of those threads, over and over again. The problem that usually comes up is of attitudes. Diver "A" says "I think this is a great piece of gear. The ads look great, and it makes sense, so I will buy one."
Then diver "B", "C", "D", etc come in and say "DON'T DO IT! There are better choices!" The second group tries to help the first to avoid costly mistakes that many of them have already made. Then diver "A" feels attacked and many others come in to defend "A". Then it becomes a battle and nobody wins. Just useless anger and fury.

obrules15
05-03-2008, 19:35
The internet is a valuable resource. Beware that there is misleading information. I have limited dives but that does not represent my theoretical knowledge only my practical experience. I spent a lot of time in my dive shop after I did my pool a classroom session. I probably have spent as much time diving in a pool this year as most people spend diving in one year.

There is a lot you can learn from research and pool diving but there is also a lot you can learn from practical experience. I wouldn't devalue either but I do think that with time comes "more" wisdom. :smiley20: Appreciate what else there is out there to learn and experience.

BSea
05-03-2008, 20:23
No way! I'm not gonna die with my bc. I have a quality made in the USA Zeagle! :smiley20:I may not die in my BC, but my wife says she's going to bury in the damned thing. But the jokes on her.....I don't think she even knows a what my BC is. :smiley5: