PDA

View Full Version : Almost popped my...

Goober
04-22-2008, 17:50
salt water cherry Saturday, but with a nor-easter blowing and seas rolling 6-8 (and every 3-4 secs) it was a long boat ride only to be canceled when we got 20 miles out to the wreck:smiley19:. I was pumped, and was ready. Even in those conditions. I figured (all the way out there)...hey dude, keep your $h!t wired tight follow the lines and after this one they will all be gravy:smiley36:. Sadly it was not meant to be...but hey I didn't puke:smiley20:, and on a 36 foot boat too!

One very weak trip report:smiley9:.

Some guy called,

Goober

FishFood
04-22-2008, 18:03
What, they waited untill yall got to the wreck to call it? What'd they expect, seas to magically calm down?

Sounder
04-22-2008, 18:05
Yeah really - seems if they're refunding charter payments, they'd do well to save on the gas and cancel it at the dock.

CPTOZZY
04-26-2008, 02:25
salt water cherry Saturday, but with a nor-easter blowing and seas rolling 6-8 (and every 3-4 secs) it was a long boat ride only to be canceled when we got 20 miles out to the wreck:smiley19:. I was pumped, and was ready. Even in those conditions. I figured (all the way out there)...hey dude, keep your $h!t wired tight follow the lines and after this one they will all be gravy:smiley36:. Sadly it was not meant to be...but hey I didn't puke:smiley20:, and on a 36 foot boat too!

One very weak trip report:smiley9:.

Some guy called,

Goober

was on that trip with Goober. Was supposed to be a Wreck Dive. 6 Paying Divers, 3 DM's, and the Boat Captain. This was going to Be Goober's first Ocean Dive (He did his Check out dives at Troy Springs, and Since then We have done Ginnie Springs and some Local Lakes), and My first Atlantic Dive North of the Keys.

Myself, A Spearfisherman who was going to try out his new doubles, and the Head Divemaster were Puking (Not sure if there were any others puking since I was busy.....well....Puking) Once we got to the site it took the DM 3 trys to swim against the current to hook up (ie: got swept away, and we had to pick him up and fight the seas back to the site). Once he got down and hooked up he said there was no real current below 15-20 feet, but the Viz was non-existant "I Couldn't see me Bleedin' Fins" (he's English).

At this point the Head DM decides we aren't going to dive this site, and he asks for a vote for us going further out into the Atlantic in hopes of Better Viz (But we knew the Seas would be even worse) or just calling it a day and scrap any further attempts.

I voted to scrap this dive because:
1) The surface current was obviously much too fast - way past my comfort zone (and I can maintain about a 1 1/2 MPH pace in the pool for 45 min to 1 Hour)
2) The Viz sucked, and there was no reason to think it was getting any better
3) I had been puking so Violently that my Oropharynx was sore and inflamed -- and probably my Nasopharynx was too; thus my eustachian tubes would be blocked and I would have trouble clearing
4) the way the boat was rocking I felt as if I was on an episode of "Deadliest Catch"

Anyway, we voted to turn around. DM said he would Credit (not refund) our $$ less $40 per head for expended gas. I thought this was fair - But I was a bit Pissed Off because he had told me the day before that if conditions seemed sub-optimal he would turn it around sooner rather than later.

Goober was pissed because He really wanted to bust his Big Water Cherry - and I was Pissed becuase I wasted an Entire Day, and My throat was still hurting 3 days Later (an yes I took Dramamine/Meclizine prior to getting on the Boat).

Anyway That Was Last Weekend's "Dive Trip"

FishFood
04-26-2008, 07:08
CPTOZZY, thanks for the clarification. It sucks when you pay money and go a long distance only to scrap or have a bad dive. Happens all too much though :smiley5:

Goober
04-26-2008, 15:14
Yes... CPTOZZY.....is always there with a "Moment of Clarity" state of mind. Excellent dive buddy.

Bad @$$ avatar too there killer!

Black-Gorrilla
04-26-2008, 15:47
what you guys need to do is get in the car and drive down to the keys... your not that far :)
they got warm water and vis. down here :)

Goober
04-26-2008, 18:00
what you guys need to do is get in the car and drive down to the keys... your not that far :)

Funny....the call thursday evening was to do just that....bolt to the keys........However, that moment of clarity thing that he has going on pissed on the parade........

I wound up in 6' seas thanks to that one....gezz...sobriety sucks:smiley21:

fire diver
04-26-2008, 18:40
Sorry to hear you missed your dive. I LOVE ocean dives. The water feels different on my skin. Saltwater just feels better to me.

Hope you get that dive soon!

CPTOZZY
05-05-2008, 19:50
Yes... CPTOZZY.....is always there with a "Moment of Clarity" state of mind. Excellent dive buddy.

Bad @$$ avatar too there killer!

You KNOW its a Baddass Avatar because you took it Goober !! (Way to Go :smiley20:)

I've had this Camera for over 6 months - and taken hundreds of pictures....most are mediocre. I'm Diving Ginnie Springs with Goober, and fumble fingers I Dropped my Camera:smiley19:.
Goober snatches it, and snaps this Picture ----Best shot the camera's Taken:smilie39:

CPTOZZY
05-05-2008, 19:53

I'm thinking about heading south to the Keys this Weekend. I got a 4 Day weekend :smiley20:

I wanna try out my latest Scuba-Toys Purchase

Goober
05-05-2008, 19:56
Hey Capin just got the word...a bunch of people from Camden Motorsports are going there memprial day weekend camping.....an invitation has been extended.....there are no divers in the group....just many going down there for the topside activities......things that make you go ....hemn......

Goober
05-05-2008, 19:57

I'm thinking about heading south to the Keys this Weekend. I got a 4 Day weekend :smiley20:

oh sure...now he wants to go:smiley32:

CPTOZZY
05-05-2008, 20:07
Hey Capin just got the word...a bunch of people from Camden Motorsports are going there memprial day weekend camping.....an invitation has been extended.....there are no divers in the group....just many going down there for the topside activities......things that make you go ....hemn......

Memorial Day Weekend isn't good for me. May 23rd is My son's last Day of High School......., May 24th He Graduates High School,
May 25th He Turns 18.:smiley_party:

............May 26th He moves out !!!:smilie39: :fulle:

(actually he stays for another few weeks)

CPTOZZY
05-05-2008, 20:09

Goober - You up for the Keys?? We could Leave Early Friday - I get off Call at 07:00 Friday Morning.....

oh sure...now he wants to go:smiley32:

Goober - You up for the Keys?? We could Leave Early Friday - I get off Call at 07:00 Friday Morning.....

Doug B
05-06-2008, 22:21
The boat captain kept $40 per head for gas? With 6 divers on the boat, that's $240 in gas.

How far out to see were you? Me thinks he was buying dinner and beer for the crew too.

I could see $20/head for gas... but not $40. He shoulda called the dive over earlier.

No Misses
05-07-2008, 08:44
The boat captain kept $40 per head for gas? With 6 divers on the boat, that's $240 in gas.

How far out to see were you? Me thinks he was buying dinner and beer for the crew too.

I could see $20/head for gas... but not $40. He shoulda called the dive over earlier.

Let's see? 20 miles out + 20 miles back = 40 miles. Figure on .75 miles per gallon in rough seas. Fuel at the marina is a buck higher than at the pumps.

40 miles = 60 gallons = $300 in fuel costs
6 divers * $40 = $240

I don't think that $40 per head is overcharging.

I own a boat. I know what it costs every time that I leave the dock.

P.S. No flames intended. I am just trying to put the cost in perspective.

spatman
05-07-2008, 08:45

i agree. he should have called it earlier. if he's a decent charter operator, he would have been getting reports and known that the day would be a bust. no need to waste your time, money, and puke on a trip like that.

elijahb
05-07-2008, 13:39
They should have called the dive earlyer due to the rough sea. when the sea is rough vis is often bad. what was the name of your dive charter?

CPTOZZY
05-07-2008, 13:47

I wonder about Diving over a Holiday .... I imagine Boats would be packed like Cattle cars, and Hotel rooms would be Expensive.

Anyone have any input / experience with "Holiday Diving"

CPTOZZY
05-07-2008, 14:11
They should have called the dive earlyer due to the rough sea. when the sea is rough vis is often bad. what was the name of your dive charter?

I'm NOT flaming the Dive-op !! This was not a dive resort dive trip, we were the only dive boat in the area, So the only way to TRULY know how conditions would be was to do what they did.

That being said, what you say is true (Rough sea + poor vis). I would have preferred turning around sooner, but that was me. A couple of the Guys were ready to dive in those conditions. My personal comfort level had been exeeded, so I had already decided that even if others dove, I wouldn't dive in what appeared to be excessive conditions for my comfort zone.

All -in-all....$hit happens ----But I think the Dive shop guys did OK by us ($40 for our next offshore dive)

Doug B
05-07-2008, 21:03

Let's see? 20 miles out + 20 miles back = 40 miles. Figure on .75 miles per gallon in rough seas. Fuel at the marina is a buck higher than at the pumps.

6 divers * $40 = $240

No flames taken. I wasn't expecting a 20 miles boat ride each way.... I was thinking more like 10 or less each way. I also forgot that the fuel docks rape the price tag too.

Goober
05-18-2008, 17:43

6 divers * $40 = $240

Hear, hear!