PDA

View Full Version : Perth Diving?

buddhasummer
04-23-2008, 03:28
Thinking of moving to Perth later this year, can anyone tell me what the diving is like around Perth...thanks:smiley20:

TheAlchemist
07-20-2008, 12:51
Yea, I'd like to know too. The Family is thinking about going over around Christmas time for some diving. Would be nice to know some good spots so I can plan our trip (Parent's are too lazy to do that one....)

TheAlchemist

PlatypusMan
07-20-2008, 23:42
Thinking of moving to Perth later this year, can anyone tell me what the diving is like around Perth...thanks:smiley20:

Lucky stiff...wish I could move to Perth.

PPM

Captain Starfish
10-06-2008, 21:37
Diving in Perth can be pretty good, but you need a boat.

The shoreline reefs are pretty boring, and people who shore dive tend to do so either for crays (early in the season) or as a "I have to have a dive" fix when they can't get on a boat.

The nice diving is on the reef system about 5km offshore, incorporating a belt of islands (Garden, Carnac, the Stragglers and Rottnest).

Once you get out there, the Leeuwin ocean current running south from Ningaloo makes diving a lot more pleasant (19-24C across the year vs 13-22 on the shore) and makes the fauna a lot more colourful and interesting.

MOST Perth diving is off Rottnest, the largest of the islands, as it ensures that there's a sheltered bay in which you can dive on most days. The water can get pretty lumpy out there.

Limestone reefs mean large stretches of 1' high kelp beds and sea grass, boring boring boring unless you can find a hole (there are many) which opens up into a big, wide and open cave system. These are just awesome, and can be found ranging in depth from 5m to about 35m.

As far as getting access to a boat is concerned, there are a few clubs in Perth and many shops with boats. Most take you out to Rotto for two dives and lunch, a full day trip, for about AUD100.

Of course I'm biased coz I live here :)

Lj82
10-06-2008, 23:18
I heard a lot about Rottnest.
Wish I had been more enthusiastic about visiting my brother when he was residing in Perth. At least I would have free lodging there then. LOL

mariav
04-04-2009, 12:44
If you move to Perth there are quite a few REALLY good sites to visit. Bunbury is about 16-170km south - Lena, recently sunken Russian pirate ship is nearby in shallow waters. Busselton Jetty is a bit luther - 180km south aprox, the longest jetty in the souther hemisphere - 2km, covered with colourful coral -just amazingly beautiful and easy access from beach and by boat.
Also THE SWAN, accessible form Busselton - military ship, now artificial reef covered with coral, abundant fish life, you need a boat for that one but it is a beauty, great viz normally.

There are few good shore dives in Perth too - Rockingham foreshore - 3 small wrecks - training playground, O'Connor Beach - old jetty, Point Peron - Marine reserve, reef with swim-throughs, but the viz tends to be 1m-12m, depending on the place/weather/how many people go there.

Blue_Water
04-06-2009, 05:12
Check out the local forum for Perth Divers I got alot of infor off here when I did a trip to Perth last year
West Australian Divers • Index page (http://www.wadivers.com.au/forums/)

Blue_Water
04-06-2009, 05:14
Double post sorry