PDA

View Full Version : Why dating makes me laugh

dallasdivergirl
08-03-2007, 12:52
Let's just start with my previous dating situation was less than ideal. When you meet guys in bars expect for them to be there every night with or with out you.

My office has 14 people, all of whom are married.

My friend pool is so shallow bugs don't even want to hop in.

So, in the lovely age of internet, I tried on line dating.

I am very specific about what I want & don't want & things I do like & don't like. It's amazing who can & can't read. Some of the responses were down right funny.

One if the pictures I have posted is this one

http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/64/464/1/65/92/2654165920054995981AnFTKv_th.jpg

Great for finding divers!

and others I found out.....

For some reason his reply just cracked me up.

On 07/12/2007 10:39 pm CDT, Charles wrote:
I'm never sure what to say but I like your profile and would like to know more about you. It sounds like we have several similar interests. So what kind of music do you enjoy? How about movies, what kind do you enjoy?
Hope to hear back from you,
Charles

On 07/13/2007 01:40 pm CDT, you wrote:
Thanks, but I've just met someone and want to see what develops.

On 07/13/2007 08:27 pm CDT, Charles wrote:
Thanks for the update. I like the picture of you with the sharks. I'm a bit of a shark fan; I have a tattoo of sharks chasing each other around my left bicep and never miss a shark week on the discovery channel.

Good luck with the new relationship
Charles

I started to ask him if he wanted to see my shark dive video but I was afraid that he would just fall hopelessly in love. :smilie39:

Illini_Fan
08-03-2007, 13:02
I feel for ya -- I travel roughly 30+ weeks of the year, which makes it very challenging. At least my office pool where I typically travel to is nearly 10,000 strong.

but it is a cool photo :)

the gooch
08-03-2007, 13:22
A tattoo of sharks chasing each other around his bicep, you can't write comedy that good.

BTW do you have a full size version of the pic you posted?

No Misses
08-03-2007, 13:25
Oh come on. Give the guy a break. He is trying. So his first attempt was lame. That first impression thing can be tough. :smiley13:

Happy hunting. Let us know how it goes
:smilie40:

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 13:29
but who says... "i see we have a lot in common" and then has to ask "what do you like"
in other words... he didn't know anything about having anything in common with someone!

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 13:36
Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

You should have replied: "Don't come at me with that weak a$$ pickup line! You got no game!"

We love it when you girls throw down a challenge like that.

thor
08-03-2007, 13:43

[/I]

:

That's harsh. That's almost as painful as "it's not you it's me" or " I just want to be friends, shark biceps guy"

dallasdivergirl
08-03-2007, 13:48
The Gooch: A tattoo of sharks chasing each other around his bicep, you can't write comedy that good.

BTW do you have a full size version of the pic you posted?

if you click on my avatar it takes you to a bigger pic of that shot.

I have a whole cd of that dive, my dive master was there with his camera and took tons of pics. That by far was my favorite shot.

Thor Thanks, but I've just met someone and want to see what develops.

that is one of the standard answers that you can give some one on the site. I didn't know what else to say besides "can you read??!?"

mike_s
08-03-2007, 16:25
I started to ask him if he wanted to see my shark dive video but I was afraid that he would just fall hopelessly in love. :smilie39:

maybe he didn't read this part of your profile: :smilie39:

Gear Info: All nice new stuff thanks to the guilty ex-husband!

thor
08-03-2007, 17:16
[I]Thor Thanks, but I've just met someone and want to see what develops.

that is one of the standard answers that you can give some one on the site. I didn't know what else to say besides "can you read??!?"

Wait, so is there like some check list on that dating site where you can give standard blow off lines, kind of like the polls on these forums.
_ Its not you its me
_ I'm already in a relationship...
_ I've joined a convent
_ I've contracted a rare disease and can't be around people with shark tats

cummings66
08-03-2007, 17:35
It's been a long time since I've been looking for dating, but I'm wondering what kind of line would you be looking for anyhow? Isn't dating via some sort of site like whatever it is kind of difficult anyways.

When I met my wife it was because I had asked her for a ride and one thing led to another. You talk and discover interests.

How does it work online? I mean you have a profile, it sounds like something he'd be interested in so what would he need to say to convince you he's a nice guy worth checking out?

ertechsg
08-03-2007, 18:16
but who says... "i see we have a lot in common" and then has to ask "what do you like"
in other words... he didn't know anything about having anything in common with someone!OK not fair she could have said I like sitting home and watching movies or I injoy music the poor guy was just trying to start a conversation. But I feel sorry for yhe guys or girls that have to start dating again. :smiley28:

ScubaCrash
08-03-2007, 18:32
Dallas, I certainly feel for ya. Being hopelessly single myself and the prospects I've found trying internet dating being from the extremely shallow end of the gene pool, I've pretty much taken the attitude of letting things just run their course and see what happens. Good luck to you in your search though!!

Cichlid
08-03-2007, 22:35
Hey guys check out my tattoo. :smiley20:

http://www.greatwoodworks.com/images/aqua8.jpg

What? :smiley5:

thor
08-03-2007, 22:40
Ahhhh. I think we're going to need a bigger boat

Venio
08-03-2007, 22:41
OMG!!!:smilie39::smilie39:

TxHockeyGuy
08-04-2007, 00:14
No disrespect to any of the females on this board from the DFW area. But I've completely given up on dating in this area. Now realize I'm about to make a few generalizations that in my experience apply to most BUT NOT ALL females on the dating scene in the DFW area.

I haven't had a truly descent relationship since 2002. I've been in other relationships since then that have ran the entire gambit of the spectrum as far as relationships go, and no I will not give specifics, and have found that MOST of the woman, and I'm sure men too, in the area I'm in here are looking for nothing but a cheap relationship, I'm sure most here know what I mean. Frankly I've run into nothing but people who are in it for a physical relationship or when I run into someone who isn't they seem to be in it for the money. If you're not rich it seems you can't keep a woman around here. I'm sure there are exceptions to this but frankly I've gotten off this merry go round. I am so tired of playing the games and as I'm not a religious person and don't do that scene apparently I'm just screwed. So be it, I'm not playing the game and I'm not going to pretend to be someone I'm not. Some day I hope to have enough money to move away from the city where the game isn't played. Of course that's just my experience and my opinion, I could be wrong.

dallasdivergirl
08-04-2007, 09:13
yes there are standard "it's not you it's me" replies and "hey you are cute, let's get some coffee" ones too. i had some guys that really did read & i did go out with them. all divers i might add. i am very specific about no kids for them or for me in the future. some of them seemed offended that i did want to carry their spawn. some of them had "must love kids" & pics with theirs. wasting everyone's time.

to tx hockey guy.... it goes both ways here. right after my divorce i had a guy through work ask me out & i figured out he had some girl going through med school he was going to marry but he just wanted to get some local play. i personally have dated rich, poor, short, tall,skinny, fat, and the whole gamit of crazy. i am lookimg for a real guy who shares intrests with me be it books or diving or skiing or cycling or travel. i grew up in a small town on a ranch, i am about as real as it gets. i don't wear makeup and i am happy eating at sonic with someone. i think you maybe need to find new tactics to find the right woman.

about the guilty ex husband quote I could change it to overly generous due to having a relationship with another woman....

my first two on line daters were very different. one was a guy's guy & i don't think i met his "hotness" requirement or high maintenence enough. the second guy is an instructor & was ready to take me to hawaii or coz or the flower gardens & deleted his profile before our date due to he was just interested in me. he scared me off. my third date went really well. we went on several dates per week & now we are headed to bonaire in october & i met his family last night. so things are very good. he's a brave man.

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 12:55
No disrespect to men anywhere, but I have explained to my 15 year old daughter that all guys are animals. It is just that some of us make better pets.

Cheddarchick
08-04-2007, 15:30
Man I am so glad to be old and married......

CompuDude
08-04-2007, 16:42
No disrespect to men anywhere, but I have explained to my 15 year old daughter that all guys are animals. It is just that some of us make better pets.

LOL good one!

techgnostic
08-04-2007, 17:30
Maybe ST could add a dating/activity partner module to the forum software...provided one exists. Or would that just lead to disaster?

the gooch
08-04-2007, 18:30
That has disaster written all over it

thor
08-04-2007, 20:21
Man I am so glad to be old and married......

Amen brutha

DirtyWaterIL
08-04-2007, 20:24
I am so lucky not to be single anymore. Althou8gh i still have to deal with crazy women from 5-6 years ago who spuraticaly decide to go on stalking binges again :(

frankc420
08-04-2007, 21:10
Erm, the biggest problem with dating is everyone has the ideal person in their head, and when they meet someone, be it by the internet or friend, they have high hopes. You have to have the mindset of, "wonder what this guy/gal is going to be like" instead of "i hope he/she has this, this this this this this this" ... Don't set yourself up for failure.

Vercingetorix
08-06-2007, 18:01
Man I am so glad to be old and married......Amen, sister. Amen.

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 18:29

I'm never sure what to say but I like your profile and would like to know more about you. It sounds like we have several similar interests. So what kind of music do you enjoy? How about movies, what kind do you enjoy?
Charles

Thanks for the update. I like the picture of you with the sharks. I'm a bit of a shark fan; I have a tattoo of sharks chasing each other around my left bicep and never miss a shark week on the discovery channel.

Charles

wow, i'm not sure what this guy did so horribly wrong here...

and i find it funny that a dude scared you off because he was "interested" in you.

techgnostic
08-06-2007, 19:06
That has disaster written all over it

Thought so.

dallasdivergirl
08-06-2007, 20:20
i really was seeing someone, probaby on our 3rd date about that time. i finally figured how to turn off the profile. I read his profile and I knew a) that we had nothing in common b) that he wasn't going to beat out the guy I was seeing.

I am not a shallow person but i don't watch tv or movies. heck i just have rabbit ears & no internet at home. he had no physical activities listed, i am outside as much as possible. i know opposites attract but that was just a little too polar opposite.

thor
08-06-2007, 22:46
: I read his profile and I knew a) that we had nothing in common b) that he wasn't going to beat out the guy I was seeing.

Beat out? Did you have them compete in feats of strength also?

dallasdivergirl
08-06-2007, 22:55
geez...nothing like that. i was very interested in the guy i was & still am seeing. there was no contest to even begin with. i had found someone that i had similar interests and common goals.

but a good arm wrestling might have been nice to see as well.

thor
08-06-2007, 22:59
You don't really know someone until they fight someone else for your honor.

Cheddarchick
08-07-2007, 05:24
Us girls don't need anybody fighting for our honor...We protect our own honor...

Harshal
08-09-2007, 11:44

Is that the shark chasing shark guy............lol sorry no offense I just find this post funny.

dallasdivergirl
08-09-2007, 12:49
No Harshal this is not the guy from my OP (or at least I don't think so),

Harshal
08-09-2007, 12:55
No Harshal this is not the guy from my OP (or at least I don't think so),

Cool...... have fun dating and keep us posted.......:)

Can't say much on it I have lived in Dallas forever, but not dated much, happy with my GF........lol

cshel
10-16-2007, 22:13
Boris42 and I met online... about 3 years ago. I was married and he was involved. We met in a Yahoo forum for a mutual investment project. We were friends. We had many, many things in common... as we later found out. Actually went to the same high school in Texas (7 years apart). When you aren't looking is when it happens. Just be open and genuine. The universe will provide. (Thank you, Michael!) Love you Boris! :smiley31:

pnevai
10-16-2007, 23:14
Sheesh, This thread is starting to sound like a soap opera.

Defman
10-17-2007, 16:56
You know, DDG, based on this thread and your other thread I may have a solution for you; two words...

!!SUGAR DADDY!!

Certainly not suggesting that you violate any personal limits here, I'm just sayin'!! Well played and you can probably get away without having to "tho down"...

dallasdivergirl
10-17-2007, 17:22
Sheesh, This thread is starting to sound like a soap opera.

more than you even want to know. I was the one living it!

Needless to say this drama reached it's end. OH, the lessons you learn in your life's journey.

Men who introduce you to their entire families, go with you on dive trips, ask you for a committed relationship, ask you to move closer to them, and get a job closer to them don't want to be tied down. Go figure!

Sugar Daddy?

Ha! I would much rather support myself than feel beholden to any one.

freediver
10-17-2007, 17:41
Why don't you just get a hamster and call it a day? :smiley36:

dallasdivergirl
10-17-2007, 17:46
Why don't you just get a hamster and call it a day? :smiley36:

I am sure the two dogs on my signature would love a living squeak toy:smilie40:

If I just called it a day then he would win. I can not let that happen.

freediver
10-17-2007, 18:05
Ohh I'm sorry, I thought those WERE hamsters in your signature! :smiley36:

BuzzF117
10-17-2007, 20:19
married 15yrs and still dating.....my wife

MSilvia
10-18-2007, 12:12
When you meet guys in bars expect for them to be there every night with or with out you.
My wife and I met at a bar, and we've only been back once. A mutual friend's band was playing at the local House of Blues twice on the week before they closed. :)

RoadRacer1978
10-18-2007, 12:31
Such drama. Glad to be out of that scene. Been married for 7 years and happier today than I was the day before.

Good luck DallasDiveGirl. Someone is out there but finding them can be like finding the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Worth looking though it can lead to a rich experience. :)

cyclone
10-18-2007, 15:48
:smiley14:
Let's just start with my previous dating situation was less than ideal. When you meet guys in bars expect for them to be there every night with or with out you.

My office has 14 people, all of whom are married.

My friend pool is so shallow bugs don't even want to hop in.

So, in the lovely age of internet, I tried on line dating.

I am very specific about what I want & don't want & things I do like & don't like. It's amazing who can & can't read. Some of the responses were down right funny.

One if the pictures I have posted is this one

http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/64/464/1/65/92/2654165920054995981AnFTKv_th.jpg

Great for finding divers!

Charles

Charles

Hello Dallasdivergirl...:smiley2::smiley9::smiley31::smi ley2: Mind if I ask you for a date...:smiley2::smiley9::smiley2:

Tableleg
10-18-2007, 16:30
cyclone, aren't you married? lol...

cyclone
10-18-2007, 16:42
cyclone, aren't you married? lol...
Bwa hahaha:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: You got me...:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Okey, I'll just ask if I can be her dive buddy. Much safer.:smiley20::smiley2:

Athena2c
10-18-2007, 19:47
When you meet guys in bars expect for them to be there every night with or with out you.
My wife and I met at a bar, and we've only been back once. A mutual friend's band was playing at the local House of Blues twice on the week before they closed. :)

Hmmm..my husband and I met in a bar too. We went back on our first anniversary-he fondly refers to it as "the scene of the crime"
:smiley2:

divingmedic
10-19-2007, 14:13

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39:

cyclone
10-19-2007, 14:50
Oh my god... Sign of infinity, yinyang and pices in the form of a shark. Not good for chinese culture. But respecting what you want and your choice, I don't care. It's a good art anyways...