PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Payed for Posts"

Osprey
08-03-2007, 13:42
How, exactly, are those monitored? It seems like it would be easy to just spam the forum and get rewarded for it. Is that something that is looked for? It would upset me to see the site and community get ripped off :smiley11:

Of course if that's a super secret ordeal, then don't mind me lol. My mind goes a million places a minute, I often get questions like this rattling around!

TxHockeyGuy
08-03-2007, 15:39
How, exactly, are those monitored? It seems like it would be easy to just spam the forum and get rewarded for it. Is that something that is looked for? It would upset me to see the site and community get ripped off :smiley11:

Of course if that's a super secret ordeal, then don't mind me lol. My mind goes a million places a minute, I often get questions like this rattling around!

It is easy to spot people doing that. Larry's all over this board so he knows who is doing such. Also, if you click on a persons name in a thread you can then click on find more posts by "user". That will bring up a list of all posts that user has posted making it simple to track down people. I fully admit to trying to respond to as many posts as possible in a bid to get to my 250. I need some more gear for an upcoming trip and that $50 gift cert will really help. At the same time though I try to add meaningful posts and not abuse the system. At any rate even with the $50 gift cert ST certainly isn't losing any money on me, that's for sure. :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 15:50
Besides... If someone tries to rip us off... we send Joe to your door... He's 6'8" 280 lbs, and normally looks like this:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/customprofilepics/profilepic19_1.gif

except with less hair. :smilie39:

ReefHound
08-03-2007, 15:53

I doubt they care if a dozen or so of your 250 posts are meaningless drivel but are more interested in seeing a good faith effort to be involved in the forum community. Anybody making hundreds of worthless posts will be run off by hte other members anyway.

Illini_Fan
08-03-2007, 15:55
Besides... If someone tries to rip us off... we send Joe to your door... . :smilie39:

Excellent -- free delivery :smiley32:

creggur
08-03-2007, 16:12
Besides... If someone tries to rip us off... we send Joe to your door... . :smilie39:

Excellent -- free delivery :smiley32:

Depends on what that big boy is delivering:smiley18:

medic001918
08-03-2007, 16:14
I fully admit to trying to respond to as many posts as possible in a bid to get to my 250.

Also guilty...but like you said, Larry knows who's who here. It's a good system. And I'd be surprised if they ended up giving many (if any) gift certificate's to people who werent active in contributing to the forum.

Shane

PS - Yup, it's another post for me...on my way to 250.

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 16:39
Besides, we're working on a ban filter that automatically kicks in at 247 posts. :smiley2:

kevinj1
08-03-2007, 16:59
hahaha-----Seriously---thats not funny Larry.

Kevin
p.s. yes it is...

Dive-aholic
08-04-2007, 01:01
I better get to posting more before that ban filter gets installed!

Brewer
08-05-2007, 06:44
Ban filter I love it

Harshal
08-07-2007, 16:31
Besides, we're working on a ban filter that automatically kicks in at 247 posts. :smiley2:

I need to get my 250 fast before he comes up with this filter.

Vercingetorix
08-07-2007, 17:23
I waited until I had 290 posts before I applied for the $50 gift cert. Thus, in case some (or many of my posts were drivel or extraneous, such as the "three-word game"), I'd be covered.

ReefHound
08-07-2007, 18:45
I waited until I had 290 posts before I applied for the $50 gift cert. Thus, in case some (or many of my posts were drivel or extraneous, such as the "three-word game"), I'd be covered.

You don't think they actually look at your posts and evaluate them, do you? What they do is look at your avatar and think "do I like them or not". :smilie39:

cummings66
08-10-2007, 23:40
Now that I've passed the 250 mark, when I was nearing it and got the you can't post that fast message was that real or something you did Larry?

ScubaToys Larry
08-10-2007, 23:56
It's an anti spam thing... that way a bot can't sneak in and make 200 posts in a few minutes.

TommyB
08-11-2007, 00:19
It's an anti spam thing... that way a bot can't sneak in and make 200 posts in a few minutes.

like the last 1000 of larry's 1 million posts

:spam::spam::spam:

dludwig
08-29-2007, 20:27
Does being paid for posts make me a whore

ScaredSilly
08-29-2007, 22:30
We are all whores (see the second definition)- we just sell ourselves in different ways.

whore |hôr| noun derogatory a prostitute. • a promiscuous woman. verb [ intrans. ] (of a woman) work as a prostitute : she spent her life whoring for dangerous men. • [often as n. ] ( whoring) (of a man) use the services of prostitutes : he lived by night, indulging in his two hobbies, whoring and eating. • debase oneself by doing something for unworthy motives, typically to make money : he had never whored after money.

Theepdinker
09-22-2007, 19:57
Does being paid for posts make me a whore
What, you've never heard of a Post Whore ?

Theep

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 22:51
Sorry double post, see below. You can dock me for this one.

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 22:52
So that explains why a friend of mine got a couple PM's from you. He was having a hay day with the forums and then...the dreaded PM. BTW, he is PO'ed and may not be back. Don't know details and I really don't care so don't ask.

ReefHound
09-23-2007, 09:03
Then why bring it up?

This is a community and there are a few things that go into being a successful part of that community. One is following the rules. Warning PMs aren't sent out randomly for fun. Another is accepting friendly advice. I'm sure any "dreaded PM" would have had a friendly and understanding tone. No need to pout over it.

Yet another is listening to what others have to say. This isn't a blog but a forum. We all know those types that walk into a room and talk, talk, talk. Never shutting up long enough to listen to what anybody else has to say. On an active day I might make 10 or 25 posts max and even then worry people are getting sick of the sound of my typing.

dludwig
09-23-2007, 09:21
Wife:Have you got anything without spam?
Waitress:Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.
Wife:I don't want ANY spam!:smilie39:

crpntr133
09-23-2007, 09:57
Then why bring it up?

This is a community and there are a few things that go into being a successful part of that community. One is following the rules. Warning PMs aren't sent out randomly for fun. Another is accepting friendly advice. I'm sure any "dreaded PM" would have had a friendly and understanding tone. No need to pout over it.

Yet another is listening to what others have to say. This isn't a blog but a forum. We all know those types that walk into a room and talk, talk, talk. Never shutting up long enough to listen to what anybody else has to say. On an active day I might make 10 or 25 posts max and even then worry people are getting sick of the sound of my typing.

Ah good ole ReefHound. Glad to see that you are over here as well. :D BTW, I think you missed a few good deals from SB. See ya.

datamunk
10-06-2007, 20:53
haha jeez.. 6'8" thats a big guy.