PDA

View Full Version : Made in the USA

mm2002
04-23-2008, 17:37
This was just emailed to me, and I got a chuckle out of it. Thought I'd share.

The federal government is sending each and every one of us a $600 rebate.

If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money will go to China.

If we spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs.

If we purchase a computer it will go to India.

If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala.

If we purchase a good car it will go to Japan.

If we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan...

and none of it will help the American economy.

The only way to keep that money here at home is to buy prostitutes, weed, beer, and tattoos, since these are the only products still produced in the USA.

Osprey
04-23-2008, 17:42
Now that's not true

We can buy tobacco as well ;)

mwhities
04-23-2008, 18:04
If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala.

I don't mind helping that one... :)

Great dive sites. :P

Garrobo
04-23-2008, 18:46
Some of the best tobacco going is grown in Honduras. Note their cigars especially. I bought a couple of nice fat stogies from a street vendor in San Pedro Sula one fine afternoon, fired up with the store owner and had a beer with him. Wandering around I looked in the back room and there were a couple of toothless old crones hand-rolling the things by spitting on and licking the leaves to make them stick together. Too late so I just had a couple more beers and forgot about it. Whadayagonnado?

scubasamurai
04-23-2008, 19:05
that is too funny, like the cartoon in the editorial section of a guy protesting china human rights with the olympics and everything he was wearing was made in china hahahah
ps we can still buy newspapers that are made here

Splitlip
04-23-2008, 19:12
Some of the best tobacco going is grown in Honduras. Note their cigars especially. I bought a couple of nice fat stogies from a street vendor in San Pedro Sula one fine afternoon, fired up with the store owner and had a beer with him. Wandering around I looked in the back room and there were a couple of toothless old crones hand-rolling the things by spitting on and licking the leaves to make them stick together. Too late so I just had a couple more beers and forgot about it. Whadayagonnado?

I prefer Hondurans to Cubans.
A lot of hype surounding Cubans because they are banned.

I still won't say no to an authentic Cohiba or Monte Cristo though.

navyhmc
04-23-2008, 19:13
However, if you use that incentive to go diving in Florida, it stays in the US :D

Beaucoupfishies
04-23-2008, 19:19
You forgot whiskey and chocolate.

Beaucoupfishies
04-23-2008, 19:22
However, if you use that incentive to go diving in Florida, it stays in the US :D

Oddly enough, I didn't think of that. *looks out at the bay*

mm2002
04-23-2008, 19:39

Why in the hell did you have to bring Florida into this? :smiley36:

nashwl
04-23-2008, 19:40
Mine will go towards a Kimber. They are still made here :)

mm2002
04-23-2008, 19:42

Yep, Kimber makes some fine stuff. Springfield does too. So we'll have to add firearms to the list!
I'm really surprised nobody has brought up scuba gear.

Largo
04-23-2008, 19:43
Awesome.

mm2002
04-23-2008, 19:44
Awesome.

What, are you hijacking another one of my threads? :smiley36:
Go ahead...I'll talk about anything!

It's cool man, I remember what it was like scrambling to that 250 mark. You need gear huh.......

Garrobo
04-24-2008, 06:46
Splitlip::I understand that most of the Honduran tobacco is grown from Cuban seed.
mm2002::Because the best diving is in Florida, the land of the eternal summer.

harb99
04-24-2008, 08:25

Yep, Kimber makes some fine stuff. Springfield does too. So we'll have to add firearms to the list!
I'm really surprised nobody has brought up scuba gear.

would like for a Kimber to be my next pistol purchase - have to save a while before that happens though

No Misses
04-24-2008, 08:31
Can you say "Zeagle"? Not only made in USA, they are in Florida!!!

About Zeagle Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer (http://zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=AboutZeagle&src=gendocs&link=AboutZeagle&category=Main&PHPSESSID=93d4a929b172f6a1f35b5b6839b4da32)

Charles R
04-24-2008, 09:39
:smiley20:I vote for diving it helps out the small business man, even better we can all make Larry and Joe even more wealthy and buy gear from Scuba Toys.
That stays in the US.:smiley_salute:

DiverMAN
04-24-2008, 09:45
i second that vote...

TX1Chica
04-24-2008, 12:14
I'm spending mine on air fair to Bonaire. So, I'm not really sure who gets my money.

Largo
04-24-2008, 12:22
I think that we should all follow TX1Chica's example, and support the airline industry in their time of difficulty.

ChrisA
04-24-2008, 12:31
Actually if you buy a product that is made in China, lets say an Apple iPod. Almost al of the money goes to Apple in California. Apple buys the parts from vendors all over the world, very few of the high tech parts come from China. They have these parts shipped to China were the iPod is assembled. The company in China who buiilds it makes very little maybe a few percent of the selling prince. Apple keps the bulk of the profit. A lottle over 30% of the retail price is Apple's profit. The money that goes to China is very little.

For all the people who complain that manufacturing has gome off shore to China, I say "do you want it here?" It is a very low margin, low proffet industry. If we could choose I'd prefer all the engineering, marking and design jobs to remain here and all the low pay manual labor jobs to leave. And you know what? With the iPod example that is what's happened.

Ok another way to think about it. Look at anyone at Apple who is working on the iPod. They can afford a house in the most expensive area of the US, They can have a car or more likely two, send their kids to colage and so on. The people in China working on the iPod can't even aford an iPod. I think the money is staying in the US.

Beaucoupfishies
04-24-2008, 13:41
I think that we should all follow TX1Chica's example, and support the airline industry in their time of difficulty.

You know, I was just saying that a couple of days ago when we were buying tickets for a trip later this year. I was saying how I wouldn't mind paying the $300 price for tickets I saw on one site instead of the $150 if I thought it would actually help keep air travel from getting worse.

Unfortunately, I'd be getting the same flight as the $150 fare and they'll probably all still be in trouble since they're going to have to hike rates this Summer due to oil prices.

TX1Chica
04-24-2008, 16:04
Due to the fact that I am buying tickets, their for helping the airlines, would this be charity? Maybe I could claim it on my Taxes as a donation:)