PDA

View Full Version : Who all here has/had diving parents? a.k.a. it's in the DNA!

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 14:46
I was looking over the 'who would you want to dive with?' thread, and saw Big Budd's response, which coincidentally mine was the same as his. Which, in turn, led me to this question - how many of you have/had a parent or parents that were divers?

When I made the decision that I wanted to learn to dive, I shared it with my father, who is now almost 85 and my only living parent. He said he thought that was great, wished me the best with it, and proceeded to tell me that he was a diver. Now this, at my ripe old age of forty-something, came as a complete surprise to me. He's done some great stuff in his lifetime: WWII vet, overcame cancer in the 60's, taught me to water ski when I was in my teens, learned to snow ski at the ripe old age of 72. But this revelation just blew me away. It had never been mentioned!

Turns out, he dove a lot back in the late 1950's - before I was born. He was an active member of a local scuba club, taught diving, dove Lake Erie a LOT (up to 100 ft), went ice diving, and did rescue/recovery diving with local law enforcement.
He quit diving in the very early 60's after he moved to Arizona - apparently my mother didn't like him doing it. He kept all of his photos, articles, and mementos, which he is slowly emailing to me bit by bit.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/disneymom62/IceDiving4X5.jpg

It's just reinforced my drive and desire, and provided a great inspiration to me. I just wish there was a way to find out if any of his buddies were still around, or if any of their kids or grandkids dive.

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 14:53
my dad used too... but stopped a long long time ago.
one of my friends dives with both his mom and dad (and his dad is a dive master/instructor) even though he does not teach.

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 14:55
Ice diving in a wetsuit. Brrrrrrrrrrr. That's an awesome story and picture.

Ron

TxHockeyGuy
08-03-2007, 15:07
Both my parents dived and I'm going to get the chance to finally dive with my father next month in Turks and Caicos. He hasn't dove in 20 years but did a lot of diving back in the late 60's up till the late 70's. I did convince him to take a refresher course (up at ScubaToys no less) and apparently he flew through the refresher. That doesn't surprise me a whole lot as I know the training he went through initially. I'm really looking forward to getting to dive with my brother and father on our upcoming vacation, it should be great. Sadly I'll never get the opportunity to dive with my mother as she died a little over 4 years ago.

MEL-DC Diver
08-03-2007, 15:27
Similar experience here. My old man dove in the sixties and that was it. A few years ago I took it up and he decided he would get back into it. Now we go on regular trips together. Great father/son time.

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 15:44
Ice diving in a wetsuit. Brrrrrrrrrrr. That's an awesome story and picture.

Ronyeah, brrrrrr..... thanks, but no. Thanks, Ron!

Similar experience here. My old man dove in the sixties and that was it. A few years ago I took it up and he decided he would get back into it. Now we go on regular trips together. Great father/son time.

Both my parents dived and I'm going to get the chance to finally dive with my father next month in Turks and Caicos. He hasn't dove in 20 years but did a lot of diving back in the late 60's up till the late 70's. I did convince him to take a refresher course (up at ScubaToys no less) and apparently he flew through the refresher. That doesn't surprise me a whole lot as I know the training he went through initially. I'm really looking forward to getting to dive with my brother and father on our upcoming vacation, it should be great. Sadly I'll never get the opportunity to dive with my mother as she died a little over 4 years ago.Sorry about your mom.
See, I think that is just cool. (diving w/ dad or mom) I kind of wish I had decided to take this up a long time ago when I was still living in the same state as he. Even up to a few years ago I think he could have dived - he was in good enough physical and mental health until maybe the last few years - starting to slow down a bit. I'll never get to do it, but I love his stories.

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 15:48
My dad doesn't dive. But he's my hero, and it would be cool to share the experience with him.

My boys (5 and 3.5) will be divers, and after this weekend, my wife will be a diver. If it wasn't in our blood before, it is now...

Harshal
08-03-2007, 15:52
First ever diver in the Family, none of my parents ever dived nor anyone I know in my family ever dived. First person to be certifed as diver, I think my nephew would pick it up from me and then may be my kids one day........lol :)

creggur
08-03-2007, 16:07
Neither of my parents dived, but we were always around the water growing up.. I have every intent of sharing this wonderful sport with my son/daughter when the time comes.... My wifes biological clock has gone off, and we will be adding to the clan hopefully next year..

BSea
08-03-2007, 16:12
I was looking over the 'who would you want to dive with?' thread, and saw Big Budd's response, which coincidentally mine was the same as his. Which, in turn, led me to this question - how many of you have/had a parent or parents that were divers?

When I made the decision that I wanted to learn to dive, I shared it with my father, who is now almost 85 and my only living parent. He said he thought that was great, wished me the best with it, and proceeded to tell me that he was a diver. Now this, at my ripe old age of forty-something, came as a complete surprise to me. He's done some great stuff in his lifetime: WWII vet, overcame cancer in the 60's, taught me to water ski when I was in my teens, learned to snow ski at the ripe old age of 72. But this revelation just blew me away. It had never been mentioned!

Turns out, he dove a lot back in the late 1950's - before I was born. He was an active member of a local scuba club, taught diving, dove Lake Erie a LOT (up to 100 ft), went ice diving, and did rescue/recovery diving with local law enforcement.
He quit diving in the very early 60's after he moved to Arizona - apparently my mother didn't like him doing it. He kept all of his photos, articles, and mementos, which he is slowly emailing to me bit by bit.

It's just reinforced my drive and desire, and provided a great inspiration to me. I just wish there was a way to find out if any of his buddies were still around, or if any of their kids or grandkids dive.
He doesn't have any old gear he want to dispose of does he? :)

thesmoothdome
08-03-2007, 16:22

Oh no!!! They have their masks on their forheads!:smilie39::smilie39: Here we go again!:smilie39:

Very cool picture. That must have been some cold diving!

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 16:31
He doesn't have any old gear he want to dispose of does he?
That's the one thing he doesn't still have.... unless I run across some whenever I have to go through all his stuff in the distant future - he's a pack rat.

Oh no!!! They have their masks on their forheads!:smilie39::smilie39: Here we go again!
:smilie39:
You know, I thought about that when I was posting that shot.... that's back before it was uncool to keep your mask on your forehead...
I'm surprised he hasn't asked me why mine is on backwards in my shore photos! "Honey, where's your mask?" "It's on backwards, where it should be dad! Duh!"

Thanks, SD!

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 16:34
It's uncool to keep your MOF?

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 16:41
maybe not uncool. bad form? frowned upon by some? not part of DIR as taught in OW? eek! :hideing_behind_comp
you know - the old MOF debate - currently debating on another thread...

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 16:44
I don't think the world will end if my mask ends up on my forehead. Let them frown...

BSea
08-03-2007, 16:45
I don't think the world will end if my mask ends up on my forehead. Let them frown...

You need to read the thread about MOF. It's at least entertaining.

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 16:50
I know the thread. I know the debate. It is, as you say, entertaining.

Sorry Disneymom. Didn't intend to hijack your thread.

===MOF DEBATE OVER===

BSea
08-03-2007, 16:51
Actually I never answered the question on this thread.

Neither of my parents were divers. When I was a kid, I loved Sea Hunt. It got me hooked on the idea of diving, and it just never went away. My Dad was in the Air Force, and we lived on Guam when I was in junior High. I really wanted to learn to dive then, but my parents said no. There were too many horror stories of people drowning, or being shark bait. Lots of rumors, but I don't ever remember a real story of anything actually happening to a diver.

To make a long story short, I had to wait till I was in college in Arkansas before I was certified. My goal is to someday go back to guam & that area to dive.

Disneymom
08-03-2007, 16:55
I know the thread. I know the debate. It is, as you say, entertaining.

Sorry Disneymom. Didn't intend to hijack your thread.

===MOF DEBATE OVER===
Oh, no, it's OK Budd, you didn't. I was actually having a good laugh about it. and yes, I agree that thread is, if nothing else, entertaining.

BSea - I see so many references to Sea Hunt - but all I remember is Jacques Cousteau - my mom loved Jacques Cousteau. I'm familiar w/ Sea hunt, but never watched it. Now I need to see if that old series is on DVD!

DUnder
08-03-2007, 17:09
My parents have never scuba dived, but I used to skin dive with my father alot. Thats where my interest in diving started.

BSea
08-03-2007, 17:10
BSea - I see so many references to Sea Hunt - but all I remember is Jacques Cousteau - my mom loved Jacques Cousteau. I'm familiar w/ Sea hunt, but never watched it. Now I need to see if that old series is on DVD!
It is. You can find it on Amazon or E-bay

I also watched all the Jacques Cousteau specials. I recently went to a vintage scuba gathering and met a guy that is working with the Cousteau Society. He had one of Jacques actual wetsuits, along with a ton of really cool hard hats with lights & the enclosed tanks that looked like a turtle shell. He gave a long talk about all the things they let him borrow. He couldn't keep anything, but they let him borrow almost anything he wanted.

It you're interested, look at his website called FlashBackScuba.com (http://www.flashbackscuba.com/)

reservecops
08-03-2007, 19:52
My father was a certified diver back in the early and mid 1960's. I believe he was NAUI certified back then.

I remember coming across some old Super-8 films that he and his friends had taken UNDERWATER. They designed and built their own Plexiglass case to put the Super-8 movie camera in. (For those of you who don't remember, it was a movie camera that you had to put actual film in, take a few minutes of video, then take the film in to be developed, just a like a picture. Then you had to play it back on a projector -- no sound, of course).

Anyways, the films were really green - they dove/dived some local lakes in SW Michigan. I remember them vividly.

He quit diving when me and my siblings were very young, in the late 60's or early 70's.

Anyways, fast-forward to more modern times.

I had always wanted to SCUBA dive, but never told my Dad about it. When I finally decided to take the plunge and get certified, I asked my Dad if he ever considered getting certified again (35 years was a long time!).

Long story short, my Dad - who lived 1,200 miles away from me now that he was retired - got certified within a week or so of my certification.

He was 66 years old when he went through the entire certification process.

So ... as far as I'm concerned ... my Dad is my favorite diving buddy ... :)

Then again, I live in Michigan, and he lives about 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, near Venice and Sarasota, Florida ... and he has a dive buddy with a boat who is also an Instructor :)

(P.S. - When I did all my research and bought all my own gear, he did the same -- right from SCUBATOYS.COM! The tables have turned, and my DAD is now taking MY advice!)

dmdoss
08-04-2007, 01:17
My dad was, two uncles, several cousins. Now my son is, third gen.

DirtyWaterIL
08-04-2007, 10:42
my dad stayred diving in the late 70s as a pubhlic safety diver then contiunued uintil the mid 902. He gained interest again when I signed up for OW but now seems to have no interest at all. Kind of a bummer.

the gooch
08-04-2007, 19:40
First generation here. I can't think of anyone in my family that is certified besides me.

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 19:56
Nope, no other divers in my family. I tried to get my parents into it, but my mom's heart would forbid her. My dad on the other hand could probably do it.

Black-Gorrilla
08-06-2007, 00:34
oh, i do dive with my brother... and am trying to get dad out there again... but he refuses to do it.

foo
08-06-2007, 02:16
First gen here, 2nd gen are my 2 daughters, who both dive (Foo2 & Foo3, ha!) My husband, son in law, cousin and his kids all dive, so we've done dive vacations together, which is way cool.

Expecting a video any day now of our recent dive (our immediate family of 5) in Cozumel, can't wait to get it!

Foo

Foo2
08-06-2007, 21:13
I'm a 2nd gen diver. My mom, dad, hubby, & sis are all certified. I'm never going to be without a dive buddy. :smiley2:

3rdEye
08-07-2007, 00:00
nope....first in my family that I know of.

my mother is deathly afraid of water....i doubt she would get in the deep end of a pool, much less 60ft or more of water.

She confronted that fear though, took swimming lessons, me and my sis got swimming lessons young as well.

I just love the water

lucidblue
08-07-2007, 00:50
First scuba diver in the family, but the love of water is in my DNA. My dad and his family were all about water activities... boating, water skiing, jet skiing, swimming, fishing and now my dad is really into sailing. I spent every weekend on the water growing up. My dad did a resort scuba course on vacation once, but never got into it. I think he liked it, but he barely has time to sail, so any free time would go to that.

For some reason even though I did all of those water activities growing up, I thought I'd be scared while diving. Turns out I was wrong.

CompuDude
08-07-2007, 01:07
Yup. My dad was among the early pioneers, certified by the first scuba certification agency, L.A. County Dept. of Parks and Recreation.

http://www.kalani.net/ebay/Dad-CertCard-LACounty-lg.jpg

In 1987, since he had not dive in years, he went through a PADI certification course with me. He was my first dive buddy. :)

Disneymom
08-07-2007, 09:02
I'm a 2nd gen diver. My mom, dad, hubby, & sis are all certified. I'm never going to be without a dive buddy. :smiley2: Foo2, I just think that's cool that your whole family dives. I wish I could get my daughter to dive. She's 17, and at the moment, not remotely interested. I think she'd like it if she'd try it! Husband? Nope, never. Afraid of the water, plus a medical condition I'm not sure he could dive with. I'm just now getting him comfortable being in water he can't stand up in - and that's in a pool!

Compudude - awsome post!

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 00:54

thats really cool.

My mom and dad have never dived but iv'e had alot of family who were in the british navy who served in submarines in the world wars.

Phestr
08-11-2007, 01:02
My father dove, mostly out of boredom, while he was stationed in Micronesia. He's the reason I got into diving, now I just have to get him to fly out here and dive with me.

WV Diver
08-11-2007, 08:26
No way, my dad couldn't even swim, mom could but just wasn't that interested in the water. I'm a fish. Nothing genetic going on here.

quarrydiver
08-11-2007, 17:45
no divers but my grandfather was an adrenaline junky, flying cropdusters and riding motorcycles into his early eighties so i'm just expanding the frontier

whitworthsa
06-10-2008, 07:11
I'm 21 and my dad dove for a several years in the '80s. He actually gave me my first taste of scuba in the shallow end of a swimming pool when I was younger. I'm trying to convince him to dust off the old gear (which I'm sure he's still got kicking around) and come for a dive but he doesn't seem too interested.