PDA

View Full Version : how do you wear your seven foot hose

aprilgoddess1987
04-23-2008, 22:29
How do you wear your 7foot hose?

aggie99
04-23-2008, 23:15
How do you wear your 7foot hose?

Check out this link: Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers (http://www.gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html)

They have some good picks which will explain it much better than a written explanation.

CompuDude
04-24-2008, 01:57
Good pics on the GUE site.

More good pics here: Equipment Images (http://baue.org/images/galleries/v/equipment/)

But, in essence, the hose comes down from your reg down your right side, loops under the canister light on your right hip, comes diagonally across your front to the left of your neck, loops behind your head, around to the right, and then the reg goes in your mouth. :)

Also, in the fullsize shot from my avatar:

http://h2ogeek.com/KPtech3_IMG_2691-sm.jpg

Note, hose doesn't look fully tucked under can light yet in this shot... I can't recall if it was or not.

UCFKnightDiver
04-24-2008, 02:31
also in abscense of a can light on your waist you can tuck the excess slack into your waist band/cumberbund

mm_dm
04-24-2008, 14:04
Just like C-dude shows it. Or, excess tucked into waistband on your right side if you don't have a can light yet.

RoyN
04-24-2008, 22:32
Just tested my 7ft hose. Its gonna loop in my harness to keep it from being drag.

mobeeno
04-24-2008, 22:54
Just tested my 7ft hose. Its gonna loop in my harness to keep it from being drag.
I read somewhere that the DIR divers loop it around the cannister. Not sure about Hogarthian

fire diver
04-24-2008, 23:28
I wear mine just like CompuDude. With excess tucked into the belt until I get my can light. Just make sure you remember to take the bungie off your neck before you doff your gear. Don't ask how I know......

texdiveguy
04-25-2008, 00:00
I probably have no clue as to what is going on here since I don't dive the DIR method and have not taken Fundies :) .....but in the absence of a cannister light ..... and the presence of a R hip d-ring, you can secure the hose under a clipped off reel/spool or even a slung R side bottle. If you have none of the above mentioned simply tuck it in the waist belt as others have mentioned. What ever method you use just ensure its freedom from entrapment so in the event of needing to deploy it in an OOG situation you are not wasting time having to free it up for full length use.

mobeeno
04-25-2008, 00:02
Just make sure you remember to take the bungie off your neck before you doff your gear. Don't ask how I know......
Been there done that. (More than once)

Skyjunky
04-25-2008, 09:02
Just make sure you remember to take the bungie off your neck before you doff your gear. Don't ask how I know......

I think we all have.

aprilgoddess1987
04-25-2008, 11:07
I probably have no clue as to what is going on here since I don't dive the DIR method and have not taken Fundies :) .....but in the absence of a cannister light ..... and the presence of a R hip d-ring, you can secure the hose under a clipped off reel/spool or even a slung R side bottle. If you have none of the above mentioned simply tuck it in the waist belt as others have mentioned. What ever method you use just ensure its freedom from entrapment so in the event of needing to deploy it in an OOG situation you are not wasting time having to free it up for full length use.

Only reason I use a 7 foot hose is its required for cavern and cave

texdiveguy
04-25-2008, 11:32

Actually I hope you find yourself continuing to use it throughout your daily diving as it is a much better system over the more 'traditional' octo set-up. Have fun and be safe!!

fire diver
04-25-2008, 14:50

Use it for all your diving. Why bother with changing out hoses and regs when you switch diving types. The 7 foot is better for OW OOA than the short hose. Besides, it makes sure that you are used to always setting up the same, and reacting/acting the same every time.

CompuDude
04-25-2008, 14:54

Use it for all your diving. Why bother with changing out hoses and regs when you switch diving types. The 7 foot is better for OW OOA than the short hose. Besides, it makes sure that you are used to always setting up the same, and reacting/acting the same every time.

Agreed. :smiley20:

I'm getting to the point of being reluctant to dive with someone with standard hoses, since air share, however unlikely, is such a PITA.

This is outside of working with classes, of course, where they don't have much choice yet.

(And note I said "reluctant", not that I would not)

mwhities
04-25-2008, 14:59
I don't dive with a 7' hose.

fire diver
04-25-2008, 15:02

WHAT?! OMG! You are going to die!!!

Just kidding, I couldn't refuse. I thought you used a 7-foot hose. Must be remembering wrong. Just curious why? Have you tried and didn't care for it?

mwhities
04-25-2008, 15:12

WHAT?! OMG! You are going to die!!!

Just kidding, I couldn't refuse. I thought you used a 7-foot hose. Must be remembering wrong. Just curious why? Have you tried and didn't care for it?

Sorry, got asked a question at work... ;)

I now dive with a 8' hose. ;) My SP MK17 allowed the 7' hose to work perfectly worn as one is supposed to. When I switched to DiveRites, I can barely turn my head to the left. I saw a guy buy a reg setup with an 8' hose and PMed him asking if he'd consider trading... viola! He has a 7' hose with 6 dives on it and I have a new 8' hose. :)

Michael

terrillja
04-25-2008, 15:21
I'll end up with a 7' hose, though ironically it will prob be my backup when I'm diving ffm. If I'm going deep though, or without my regular DB, I'll be on the 7' primary with a bungeed octo, at least until I get more time in the ffm and am confident enough in it.

cummings66
04-25-2008, 18:17
I like my 7' hose, wouldn't dream of diving without it. I have a FFM that I no longer use because it's not really compatible with my theory of diving.

mobeeno
04-26-2008, 01:17

I think we all have.
Always makes my buddy laugh.

Scubastud16
04-27-2008, 17:00
Routed just like it's supposed to. Down the right side, tucked under the can, up across left shoulder and behind neck. Clipped off to right D ring when not in use.

mm_dm
04-27-2008, 19:31
This is outside of working with classes, of course, where they don't have much choice yet.[/quote]

We finally got it worked out where I can use my 7 footer in OW. I still use my basic BC and reg set up in the pool...mainly because it's simpler for me to do so and I want to avoid distracting from what the Instructor is teaching. Eliminating the little problems so the students and the Instructor can better interact is what I feel I'm there for. Just my 2psi.

CompuDude
04-28-2008, 18:05
This is outside of working with classes, of course, where they don't have much choice yet.

We finally got it worked out where I can use my 7 footer in OW. I still use my basic BC and reg set up in the pool...mainly because it's simpler for me to do so and I want to avoid distracting from what the Instructor is teaching. Eliminating the little problems so the students and the Instructor can better interact is what I feel I'm there for. Just my 2psi.

Yes, I use my long hose rig for classes in open water (bp/w, too). Short hose in the pool, however, where they're first learning and studying up close, and I'm demoing using gear that is a closer match to theirs.

We have a few-tech-friendly instructors who will allow the long hose in OW, but it does complicate some required skills from PADI, so I can see the argument for the short hose in the short term. We go over the options, however, and point out the differences, so it's not a new concept either way.

cummings66
04-28-2008, 22:00
I'm curious, what skill does the long hose complicate in OW?

RoyN
04-30-2008, 10:28
Always makes my buddy laugh.

Yep it sure does!! :smiley36:

Anyways, back to the topic. I agree that if you put the 7ft hose on the regulator, probably just use it for all the other dives. I'm going to use it for cozumel too so might as well get comfortable in it. Just used it on Saturday and have to say, it was very easy and comfortable to use.

mwhities
04-30-2008, 10:40
Yep it sure does!! :smiley36:

Anyways, back to the topic. I agree that if you put the 7ft hose on the regulator, probably just use it for all the other dives. I'm going to use it for cozumel too so might as well get comfortable in it. Just used it on Saturday and have to say, it was very easy and comfortable to use.

Glad to hear Roy. You sure are advancing nicely. :)

DallasMarineBio
06-27-2008, 22:51
When not using a light canister I just tuck it into my belt. I have used a 5' hose for single tank open water diving in the past, and was pleased with the routing, but now I just use my 7' all the time and find it no less difficult ...train like you race, race like you train (to shamelessly quote someone else!)

joeSteve1006
06-29-2008, 11:55
http://forum.scubatoys.com/regulators/14629-7ft-hose-crowded-dive-boat.html#post193133

another thread, might be useful.

JahJahwarrior
07-01-2008, 20:54
Some people have suggested to me putting a knife in the place of the canister light on the right harness and tucking the 7' hose under that, but I personally found it worked well to tuck it under the BP/W harness and run it around the 5# weight on my belt. Now I use a can light and have no need, but it worked well for me when I needed to run it that way.

I see no reason to not use a primary on a 7' hose for most all recreational diving. Seems safer to me, and I would be hard pressed to dive without it :)

CompuDude
07-03-2008, 00:19
Some people have suggested to me putting a knife in the place of the canister light on the right harness and tucking the 7' hose under that, but I personally found it worked well to tuck it under the BP/W harness and run it around the 5# weight on my belt. Now I use a can light and have no need, but it worked well for me when I needed to run it that way.

I see no reason to not use a primary on a 7' hose for most all recreational diving. Seems safer to me, and I would be hard pressed to dive without it :)

I generally loop my hose the same way (under the belt and around a weight) when I bring the long hose rig into the pool, where I generally don't bother with the can light. Works well.

cummings66
07-03-2008, 22:53
Yup, same as I do. If I've got weights and no light on me then I loop it that way. Sometimes I'll tuck it if there's no weights.

finflippers
07-03-2008, 23:59
I route my 9' hose off the left side port of my regulator through a loose bungee (surgical tubing), down to the bottom of my tank tucked into a tight bungee, back up through the top bungee, and then secure it on my right side.

Darthwader
06-23-2009, 07:19
CDude, that's my setup!. . . eventually.
is it relatively universal or does it change with doubles?
also, would this set-up be considered hogarthian?

Good pics on the GUE site.

More good pics here: Equipment Images (http://baue.org/images/galleries/v/equipment/)

But, in essence, the hose comes down from your reg down your right side, loops under the canister light on your right hip, comes diagonally across your front to the left of your neck, loops behind your head, around to the right, and then the reg goes in your mouth. :)

Also, in the fullsize shot from my avatar:

http://h2ogeek.com/KPtech3_IMG_2691-sm.jpg

Note, hose doesn't look fully tucked under can light yet in this shot... I can't recall if it was or not.

navyhmc
06-23-2009, 15:01
I've seen a few folks loop the 7' primary on a bungee on the Left tank of doubles and route it normally and they say it's comfortable. I go with the basic configuration and found it very comfortable.

CompuDude
06-23-2009, 15:28
CDude, that's my setup!. . . eventually.
is it relatively universal or does it change with doubles?
also, would this set-up be considered hogarthian?

Other than adding an additional first stage and swapping hoses around a bit to split them up between the two, the configuration is identical for doubles and singles. That's the whole point... no changes to how you wear your rig no matter what kind of diving you are doing. Everything is always in the exact same place. (singles vs. manifold differences aside, of course)

The setup is DIR, which is a slightly-modified Hogarthian rig. It's based on the Hogarthian setup but not identical.

Tassie Diver
06-23-2009, 18:28
I don't have a light cannister, so I just come down the right hand side of my right hand tank around the front, over the left shoulder, behind the neck, over my right shoulder and into my mouth.

Never had an issue with hose floating up or giving me grief.

Use the same method for single tanks too.

Cheers

TD.

j1j2j38
01-18-2010, 14:54
Would you still use 7' over a 5' primary if you weren't planning penetration dives?

CompuDude
01-18-2010, 19:15
Would you still use 7' over a 5' primary if you weren't planning penetration dives?

Yes. You never know where your diving wants and needs will be in a year (or less), and 7' is the where most end up anyway. Might as well start off on the right path. If you REALLY hate it and want to switch, a 7' hose will be a lot easier to sell off than a 5' hose.

Jack Hammer
01-19-2010, 15:35
My first experience with a long hose was a 5' hose on my singles rig. I liked it right away and found it much better than my stock configuration. When I went to doubles I put a 7' hose on that setup, and found it even better. I hadn't dove a singles configuration in a while until recently and found that I really prefer the 7' hose to the 5' hose by quite a large margin. After being used to the way the 7' hose routes I don't like the way the 5' routes nearly as well and intend to replace it with a longer version. YMMV

Atomic_Diver315
02-06-2010, 15:34
down along the side of the tank, up at the hip, across the chest behind the neck, and into the mouth...