PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Evolution 2 or Fusion?

Scoobidoo
04-23-2008, 22:37
Hey all,

I've had a post on Fusion vs DUI before, but due to the cost of DUI suits, I've given it up. Now, I'm split again, Evo 2 or Fusion?? I've heard good stuff about both, especially the durability of Evo 2.

Any ideas welcome...convince me!

terrillja
04-23-2008, 22:44
I submit the BARE Trilam HD for consideration. The things are built like a tank and are reasonably priced.

msprzeor
04-24-2008, 02:24
Pinnacle Evolution 2, then you can post a snazzy report so we know whether or not we should buy them!

CompuDude
04-24-2008, 02:55
I've seen, but not dove, both. Totally different suits.

The Pinnacle is a traditional drysuit, and tough as nails. Long track record, many solid reports that it is a very good suit with a good track record. Not sure what Pinnacle's track record is re service, but I haven't heard many complaints.

The Fusion is a radical new concept that has some great features and some drawbacks. It hasn't been around long enough to know much about long term durability. Whites has a very spotty track record with service. I require pockets in a drysuit, so the tech skin is mandatory for me, which eliminates some (but not all) of the design advantages of the suit. And the pockets are not the best I've seen, and when wet and fully loaded, and heavy with water (when exiting, let's say), reports of sagging have given me still more concern about long term durability.

The Fusion will be a lot more flexible than the Pinnacle. But everything else about it is pretty unknown at this point.

I prefer a more traditional suit, so I'd go for the Pinnacle (between the two) if I was buying now. It's similar to my DUI CLX450, so I know what I'm getting into.

I will admit to still be curious about the Fusion, though. I'd love to dive one sometime and see what they're like first hand.

LCF
04-24-2008, 05:19
I absolutely LOVE my Fusion. I don't have any experience with the other suit.

The Fusion is amazingly comfortable, and the mobility in it is more like a wetsuit than a dry suit. Like CompuDude, I require pockets, but I'm using X-shorts over the Fusion and it works fine. From the report I read of the tech skin, I may be happy to continue this arrangement long term.

I've owned a Mobby's trilam, a Diving Concepts compressed neo, and the Fusion. I'll never dive either of the first two again, unless the Fusion is out of action for some reason.

Scoobidoo
04-24-2008, 07:01
The Fusion is a radical new concept that has some great features and some drawbacks. It hasn't been around long enough to know much about long term durability. Whites has a very spotty track record with service. I require pockets in a drysuit, so the tech skin is mandatory for me, which eliminates some (but not all) of the design advantages of the suit. And the pockets are not the best I've seen, and when wet and fully loaded, and heavy with water (when exiting, let's say), reports of sagging have given me still more concern about long term durability.
Those are my concerns too. I had my mind set on the Fusion for quite a while, but after calming down a bit, I start to worry about the possible-cons for the suit. So far, I've heard a lot of good reviews about it, but like you mentioned it's not around long enough to say for sure....that's why I'm trying to open myself up to options again.

The Fusion will be a lot more flexible than the Pinnacle. But everything else about it is pretty unknown at this point.
Yes! That's THE thing that drew me to Fusion, and also the fact that it's easier to manage air in the suit. This will be my first dry suit, and it seems like Fusion will be less of a learning curve for someone coming from a wetsuit, less bulky and more flexible! Every time I list the pros, I wanna put an order through straight away, but then I don't want to kick myself after a few dives (on a wreck, maybe...) for not getting a more durable suit...life is miserable!

I prefer a more traditional suit, so I'd go for the Pinnacle (between the two) if I was buying now. It's similar to my DUI CLX450, so I know what I'm getting into.
And DUI vs Pinnacle? Which one would you pick, CompuDude? ....I'm open to good advices!

Scoobidoo
04-24-2008, 07:03
I absolutely LOVE my Fusion. I don't have any experience with the other suit.

The Fusion is amazingly comfortable, and the mobility in it is more like a wetsuit than a dry suit. Like CompuDude, I require pockets, but I'm using X-shorts over the Fusion and it works fine. From the report I read of the tech skin, I may be happy to continue this arrangement long term.

I've owned a Mobby's trilam, a Diving Concepts compressed neo, and the Fusion. I'll never dive either of the first two again, unless the Fusion is out of action for some reason.
Hey, thanks for the feedback! What report are you referring to about the tech skin? Is it not good?

K9Pig
04-24-2008, 08:02
Are you able to dive each of your choices from your LDS? I have the EVO2 and love it. It is the only DS that I have used, so not much help about the others.

CompuDude
04-25-2008, 14:32
Yes! That's THE thing that drew me to Fusion, and also the fact that it's easier to manage air in the suit. This will be my first dry suit, and it seems like Fusion will be less of a learning curve for someone coming from a wetsuit, less bulky and more flexible! Every time I list the pros, I wanna put an order through straight away, but then I don't want to kick myself after a few dives (on a wreck, maybe...) for not getting a more durable suit...life is miserable!

And DUI vs Pinnacle? Which one would you pick, CompuDude? ....I'm open to good advices!

You know, there is the thought that if the Fusion really is all it's cracked up to be, and super easy to dive, you may do yourself a disservice by NOT diving a "regular" drysuit first, to learn how to actually manage the DS when all is not perfect. After all, there may come a time when your Fusion is not available and you have to borrow or rent a standard DS, and then you won't actually know how to dive it properly. Something to think about.

I chose DUI because I want the option of zip seals. It's that simple for me. I like the DUI pockets better than the Pinnacles, too... the Pinnacle pockets a a tad on the small side, IMO. There's no question the DUI costs more, however, so that may rule it out for you.

That Pinnacle is a nice looking suit, though, and easily as tough as my DUI. I have a friend with one who loves it. Lack of flexibility is an issue, though... he's having a hard time reaching his valves. Hard to say how much of that is the suit and how much of that is him, though.

imasinker
05-11-2008, 08:10
I agree with Compudude! I am new to drysuits and I looked at the fusion watched a few video's and seem to be hard suit to don and doff. I didn't like the way it was held together with velcro straps. It is a bilam suit (shell). If your a new drysuit diver the suit doesn't look as forgiving to abuse as the EVO 2 or Bare Trilam. Then It comes down to the type of diving you do. Maybe you don't want a heavier suit. I have personally seen whites customer service and will say they are not the best. I looked at the Pinnacle EVO 2 and will say I was really impressed with the build of the suit for sure. It looks to be tough as nails and I have read great reviews. Then I checked out the Bare ATR HD. Again another well built suit with excellent warranty and reviews. I tried on one and loved it. I was deciding between the two. I bought a Bare ATR HD trilam. Quite simular to the Pinnacle EVO 2. My LDS gave me a great deal and alot of the divers I have talked to like and use the suit as well. I would recommend either suit, read some more reviews here. Price wise they are worth it.

skdvr
05-11-2008, 09:53
Well I dive the Fusion w/ the lycra skin and I love my suit. I think it is very durable so far (only about 10 dives on it). I been walking trough brush while wearing it and bumped into a jagged airplane wing while wearing it and no rips or tears. Obvioulsy it has not been through a few hundred dives yet but I am confident that it will last. I heard from someone the other day on Scubaboard that has over 100 on his suit and it is still going strong. I just ordered the Tech skin for mine. I too have heard concerns about the sagging of the pockets, but from a few people that I know that have dove it said it really is not nearly the issue that a lot of people thought that it would be. As to the Fusion being tough to put on I really do not think that it is. It is different that putting on a traditional DS but not difficult. here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaqL24uoyA) is a little video that I put together for a little bit of fun to see how fast you can put the fusion on. The skin is not held on by Velcro straps, but rather velcro cuffs. Saying velcro straps makes it sound (to me anyway) like the skin is dangling loosly from strips of velcro. Once I get my teck skin I will put a video up of replacing the skin and you can see exactly how it all goes together. To the Bilam material under the skin I have no question to its durability. It has been around for a long time and is used by the Canadian Millitary.

Now I have never dove the Evo 2 but I have also never heard a bad thing about it, except for being kind of bulky. I do not know if they offer custom suits that may get rid of some of the bulkyness or not. I really do not think you would regret purchasing either suit. I really love my Fusion and have no problem recommending it to anyone.

If you have any specific questions about the Fuison feel free to ask away and I will answer them if I can.

Phil