PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle used by the military

Largo
04-24-2008, 13:04
I was watching a documentary on the sinking of the Oriskany. The Navy divers were wearing Zeagle Rangers. Also, one time an SF guy told me that the Army used Zeagle. Can anyone confirm the specific models they use?

Largo
04-24-2008, 13:08
By the way, in the documentary, one of the Navy divers suffered some kind of diving-related injury. Anybody see that program?

ScottZeagle
04-24-2008, 13:11
The Ranger is probably the most widely used Zeagle BC in the military...and there are some Tech Bcs out there as well.

I haven't actually seen the show you are reffering to, but I have heard about it.

Largo
04-24-2008, 13:16
What models of Regulators do they usually order?

ScottZeagle
04-24-2008, 13:21
Flathead VI

ChrisA
04-24-2008, 13:43
I was watching a documentary on the sinking of the Oriskany. The Navy divers were wearing Zeagle Rangers. Also, one time an SF guy told me that the Army used Zeagle. Can anyone confirm the specific models they use?

Have you ever sold thing to the military? If the navey is using Zeagle I'd bet that one of the reasons is that some one at Zeagle knows how to do the government paperwork dance to make the sale happen. Not many sellers are will to bother to learn.

Yes they can now make smaller purchases using a credit card now and save tons of time and procurment effort but there are limits on that, basically just ones and twos can be bought that way. A lot depends on the government procurment person. Some are good and know how to cut red tape to get the user what he needs and some are "classic bureaucrats". Basically getting your stuff bought is as much as having a product that is liked by the users as knowing how to work the system. I think Zeagle was been selling non-scuba gear to the government for a long time, maybe from before they got into the scuba gear business?

reactive
04-24-2008, 13:46
That makes me feel even more secure with my decision to go with zeagle.

Largo
04-24-2008, 14:12
It's a lot easier to buy stuff now. They might be able to use an Impac card, not sure. But, they can buy durable goods with O&M funds.

fisheater
04-24-2008, 14:21
When I did my OW check-out dives in Monterey, there were a slew of Navy Rangers drying out at the dive shop.

Largo
04-24-2008, 14:58
The Ranger just feels stronger, to me.

Black-Gorrilla
04-27-2008, 01:12
what was the name of the documentary by any chance? sounds interesting.

Largo
04-27-2008, 11:19
I don't remember. I think it was on Discovery Channel or something like that. I looked at the Discovery Channel website, but I couldn't find it.
They showed the entire process that the ship had to go through to be approved to be sunk. All of the people who I know who have dived the Oriskany as a recreational dive were disappointed. It could have been the time of year, I don't know. I'm speaking from ignorance here, but it seems like a good dive for someone who is into technical diving.

reactive
04-27-2008, 11:30
The dive op that I got certified through in Florida says that the "Big O" has been a very difficult dive for tech divers.

Babster
04-27-2008, 11:40
I don't remember. I think it was on Discovery Channel or something like that. I looked at the Discovery Channel website, but I couldn't find it.

I found a website that mentions the "Sea of Steel" documentary by National Geographic... it also has some pictures of divers.

USS Oriskany (http://florida-divepros.com/ussoriskany.htm)

Largo
04-27-2008, 11:41
From the photos they brought back, the water looked like milk.

Largo
04-27-2008, 11:43
I was just reading my previous post.

What I meant to write was "All of the people who I know, who have dived the Orskinay..."

Apologies.

Babster
04-27-2008, 12:05
I think you missed my post in the middle of that rush of posts! :smiley36:

Penguino
04-27-2008, 22:37
I have seen it. Very cool. It was on TLC I thought... And I'm not sure about the dive injury. So I guess this was a useless post as I'm not sure of anything... But it was a cool show.

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 13:56
dumb question, didn't zeagle used to make parrachutes? Maybe that is how their relationship started with the military?

ScottZeagle
05-14-2008, 15:14
Yes, but not for the military....

We did make body bags for the military though.

fisheater
05-14-2008, 20:25

Thanks for sharing!

You don't have to pass your comments past your marketing deptment, do you?

elijahb
05-14-2008, 20:45
Thanks for sharing!

You don't have to pass your comments past your marketing department, do you?

I wouldn't be surprised if he did.:smiley36::smiley36:

ScottZeagle
05-15-2008, 08:26

Thanks for sharing!

I pretty much just shoot from the hip, then worry about it after the @#$% hits the fan...

Why do you ask? Is there something wrong with making body bags?

fisheater
05-15-2008, 09:11

Thanks for sharing!

I pretty much just shoot from the hip, then worry about it after the @#$% hits the fan...

I can see the new ad campaign now, "Zeagle: Either dive with it, or die with it." :smilie39:

MK27Diver
05-20-2008, 18:30
Watch Discovery Channel on Wed night (21st) at 8PM EST. Sinking of the Oriskany will be on

Black-Gorrilla
05-20-2008, 20:30
Watch Discovery Channel on Wed night (21st) at 8PM EST. Sinking of the Oriskany will be on

DVR is set.
thanks.

ScottZeagle
05-21-2008, 09:02

Thanks for sharing!

I can see the new ad campaign now, "Zeagle: Either dive with it, or die with it." :smilie39:

I don't recall that the bags were even branded. The military needed them, we supplied them....end of story.

blewgrass
05-24-2008, 00:01
My Ranger came from the Coast Guard.

DOWNDEEP73
05-24-2008, 00:40

Thanks for sharing!

I don't recall that the bags were even branded. The military needed them, we supplied them....end of story.
Do the bags come in non-diving house wife sizes too?

Zenagirl
05-24-2008, 07:44
Someone has to make the body bags that are used by the military. Its an awfully noble (and sad) task to have. Kudos to Zeagle for helping to bring ALL of our boys home.

ScottZeagle
05-27-2008, 09:05
We don't make them any longer...

But if they had a need, we surely would.

diver-wife
05-31-2008, 16:44

Thanks for sharing!

Do the bags come in non-diving house wife sizes too?

I resemble that comment

navyhmc
05-31-2008, 17:12
IRT the military procurement of Zeagles and other dive gear, those individual units that are on the no questions asked purchase order list can't go out and buy just anything, there is a list of gear that is approved and if it's not on that list, they have to show a VERY good reason why that and only that peice of gear will suffice "No, really we really, really really, need a Soviet Kilo diesel boat". A large list of Zeagle products in on that list.

rawalker
05-31-2008, 19:13
Is it a special kevlar reenforced model?