PDA

View Full Version : Tusa IQ-700 or Dive Rite NiTek Duo? same computer?

mike_s
08-03-2007, 16:11
So let's compare two computers.

Does either have a benefit over the other or are they just simply the same comptuer with a different brand name on it.

Note: they bost cost exactly the same ($389)

Tusa IQ-700
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IQ700
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/gauges/pics/tusa/iq700.jpg

Dive Rite Nitek Duo
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=NiTekDuo
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/bcds/pics/DiveRite/NiTekDuo.jpg

texdiveguy
08-03-2007, 17:00
They are exactly the same computer with different logo's stamped on them,,inner working are made by Seiko.

They are a great dive computer or bottom timer in gauge mode. They don't have all the rec fluff that many rec divers seem to feel they need....but these are super reliable and effective....easy to operate, and have plenty of 'alarms' for those wanting to use them.

I would recommend them....I use them both in recreational and technical diving.

MxDiver
08-03-2007, 18:36
One difference: Tusa offers a two year warranty, Dive Rite 1 yr.
The Cressi Archimede is also the same computer.

texdiveguy
08-03-2007, 19:03
One difference: Tusa offers a two year warranty, Dive Rite 1 yr.
The Cressi Archimede is also the same computer.

Good info.,,,I forgot about the Cressi.

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 19:09
Without question, of the 3 companies marketing that computer - Tusa is by far the best warranty and customer service.

mike_s
08-03-2007, 22:35
so are all the screens, options/settings (user programable), algorithmns, the same?

I was curious if one company might have a different firmware that had different options than the other? (for example, it appears that there is at least a minor difference in the Cressi Archimede becuase it has the 'CRESSI' Logo appear on their LCD Screen.)

thanks for the replies folks

ianr33
08-03-2007, 22:40
The early versions of these computers had a LOT of problems.Supposedly that has all been fixed now.

I were to buy another one I would get the one with the longest warranty.

Anybody want to buy a slightly used Tusa IQ-700? Works great (except for the right button! ) one of my not so good Ebay purchases

texdiveguy
08-03-2007, 22:41
so are all the screens, options/settings (user programable), algorithmns, the same?

I was curious if one company might have a different firmware that had different options than the other? (for example, it appears that there is at least a minor difference in the Cressi Archimede becuase it has the 'CRESSI' Logo appear on their LCD Screen.)

thanks for the replies folks

I know that the Dive Rite and Tusa are EXACTLY the same.....I would assume the Cressi is also....but not 100% on that...maybe someone here knows. I have been using the Dive Rite and Tusa for 4 years now.

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 22:56
I don't know what the cressi is now. That was another company we carried for a while - and back then their computer lacked a few features - but that was a rev ago... we don't carry them now - they really have dropped off in the US as far as distribution. Used to be a bunch of dealers - now - not so many.

Dive-aholic
08-04-2007, 00:55
They are the same computer. I bought the Tusa version a few years ago. I was going to buy the Diverite version, but Larry talked me into the Tusa. He saved me some money, got me an extra year warranty and a few extra accessories. I've never had problems with its function.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 08:46
One more question about these... what kind of case/box do they come in?

Does either come in a nice hard case to protect it in your dive bag or just a cardboard box?

texdiveguy
08-07-2007, 09:46

Does either come in a nice hard case to protect it in your dive bag or just a cardboard box?

Mike... my Dive Rite Duos came in a nice small padded zipper pouchs sim. to a very small reg. storage case.

badfrog88
08-07-2007, 10:55
I'm guessing that since they are the same computer, the docking stations are compatible with both. Is this true? How do the prices compare for the docking stations?

Also, will either upload data to DAN?

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2007, 11:03
I'm guessing that since they are the same computer, the docking stations are compatible with both. Is this true? How do the prices compare for the docking stations?

Also, will either upload data to DAN?

The Tusa is a bit cheaper and has their software as a free download from their site.

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 23:17

The Tusa didn't come with a box, but they're pretty rugged. I just toss mine into one of those small collapsible lunch box cooler with my wrist compass, dive watch, uw mp3 player and camera housings.

badfrog88
08-19-2007, 09:01
I'm interested in the compatibility of the TUSA with DAN's Project Dive Exploration.

On the DAN website (http://www.dan.org/research/projects/pde/participate.asp), they list DiveRite computers as being level 3 compatible. There is no mention of TUSA. My guess is something to do with a difference in the software and how it downloads/stores the data from the computer.

Could I use the DiveRite software with the TUSA computer?

I would like the additional year warranty from the TUSA but I would really like to participate in the PDE.

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 09:10
I'm interested in the compatibility of the TUSA with DAN's Project Dive Exploration.

On the DAN website (http://www.dan.org/research/projects/pde/participate.asp), they list DiveRite computers as being level 3 compatible. There is no mention of TUSA. My guess is something to do with a difference in the software and how it downloads/stores the data from the computer.

Could I use the DiveRite software with the TUSA computer?

I would like the additional year warranty from the TUSA but I would really like to participate in the PDE.

I've had people use the Tusa software with the dive-rite so I assume there would be no problem going the other direction. Might also be worthwhile calling DAN to get their take on whether the Tusa works - they just don't list it.

kancho
12-19-2007, 12:05
Do anyone know where I can find an inexpensive cable?

whitworthsa
06-16-2008, 19:53
What about the Zeagle N2ition that's the same too isn't it? and a little less expensive.

ianr33
06-16-2008, 20:46
There have been quite a few reports of failures on these computers.

The Deco Stop (http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8779)

The 2 year warranty on the TUSA is worth having.

ScottZeagle
06-17-2008, 08:54

That thread was started in 2004...FYI.

ianr33
06-17-2008, 10:32

That thread was started in 2004...FYI.

.............and the last post reporting a failure was 16 days ago.

Dont know if the failure rate of these computers is higher than average or not,but either way the free extra years warranty on the Tusa has to be worth having.

mike_s
06-17-2008, 15:10
I was on a liveaboard boat last summer when one locked up on a normal dive for someone.....

They ended up having to take the batteries out of it to get it to reset.

buddhasummer
06-17-2008, 20:09
I read that thread and yes although started almost 4 years ago it is still running. I havent seen a thread on a computer that is as long or has so reported problems. Given the current info I wouldnt consider this computer. Having "free extra years warranty" doesnt really mean much if you have to send it back numerous times, its like Apples extended optional warranty program on their ipods when they first came out, it was like they were saying "actually we know our product is not so reliable so (lucky you) we are giving you the option to buy a greater warranty period coz you're probably gonna need it", I know the TUSA warranty is free but the reason for it may well be the same. No thanks.

crpntr133
06-19-2008, 21:08
So Scott, is the N2ition the same as the DR Duo and Tusa 700?

Black-Gorrilla
06-20-2008, 00:03
So Scott, is the N2ition the same as the DR Duo and Tusa 700?

yes it is... i had asked that a while back and was told that the tusa, DR and Zeagle are the same guts....

Dive-aholic
06-23-2008, 10:39
I've had 2 IQ-700s for over 3 years now. The only problem I had was several months ago my 700 started freaking out and giving me depth reading fluctuations of 10-40' every couple of seconds. Turns out the battery was low and needed to be changed. No low battery indicator on the display. Battery replaced, no more problems. Maybe I just got lucky. I will say that I only use this computer about every 3-4 months over the past year during salt water recreational dives.

terrillja
06-23-2008, 10:50
I just put in a week of diving in the USVI and BVI with my n2ition, and it was great. The only problem I had was when I somehow changed the mix1 to 100% o2, and the computer got mad at me, for obvious reasons, since I realized what was wrong when I was at 60', so it had locked up with a Po2 alarm.

Other than that, I loved it, and I'll be diving it more in the next few weeks, and will be using 2 gasses, where my VI diving was done on 1 gas.

Dive-aholic
06-23-2008, 11:03
I just put in a week of diving in the USVI and BVI with my n2ition, and it was great. The only problem I had was when I somehow changed the mix1 to 100% o2, and the computer got mad at me, for obvious reasons, since I realized what was wrong when I was at 60', so it had locked up with a Po2 alarm.

Other than that, I loved it, and I'll be diving it more in the next few weeks, and will be using 2 gasses, where my VI diving was done on 1 gas.

That happens when you forget to check the percentage setting before diving. It's a safety measure. The computer will automatically default to 99%. It's a PITA. I have forgotten once!

zahgurim
07-21-2008, 09:32
How long are the batteries good for in these things?

I've been running a Tusa for almost a year with no probs to speak of, other than wanting a wrist mount! Next order: Zeagle tech mount :)

I have spare batts on hand, am just wondering if I should change the battery out before the next liveaboard trip or if it's still good for a while yet...

mike_s
07-21-2008, 14:45
battery life will depend on the time since the battery replacement and usage. They might last a couple years if you don't dive much or 6 months if you dive all the time for example.

if the battery indicator shows less than 100% then I'd consider changing it before any normal trip.

before a liveaboard you might want to consider a new set as you might be doing 25 dives or so and you don't want it to run low on battery and loose all your nitrogen loading info and have to sit out a couple dives. (just my opinion).

hawkenph
07-21-2008, 19:08
According to their website. The Zeagle N2ition batteries last for around 3 yrs (but, than again I agree with Mike) and the also offer a 2 yr. warranty. I am looking to make this my Primary Computer when I buy my gear. Seems that Sunnto's are having alot of problems,etc..

fire diver
07-22-2008, 03:39
According to their website. The Zeagle N2ition batteries last for around 3 yrs (but, than again I agree with Mike) and the also offer a 2 yr. warranty. I am looking to make this my Primary Computer when I buy my gear. Seems that Sunnto's are having alot of problems,etc..

The Zeagle is a great computer. Exactly the same as several other brands (listed above) but Scott gives a 2 year warranty. If my DR Duo dies, I'm buying the Zeagle model.

buddhasummer
07-22-2008, 05:22

What problems are suuntos having?

mike_s
07-22-2008, 15:58
I think they were having lock up problems... there were some recalls on them..

the Tusa/DiveRite/Zeagle computers made by Seiko have had a few minor problems also..... (to be fair).

Mase
07-22-2008, 19:00
I have the Dive Rite. Well over 100 dives and no problems. Love the big display.

Mase
07-22-2008, 19:07
battery life will depend on the time since the battery replacement and usage. They might last a couple years if you don't dive much or 6 months if you dive all the time for example.

if the battery indicator shows less than 100% then I'd consider changing it before any normal trip.

before a liveaboard you might want to consider a new set as you might be doing 25 dives or so and you don't want it to run low on battery and loose all your nitrogen loading info and have to sit out a couple dives. (just my opinion).

Where on the computer do you find the battery indicator?

mike_s
07-22-2008, 20:41
[quote=mike_s;203857]

Where on the computer do you find the battery indicator?

see page 9 of the manual.... I'd post it here but cut-n-paste from that PDF file sucks...

http://www.tusa.com/pdf/IQ-700manual.pdf

hawkenph
07-23-2008, 02:34
Hi all,
Sorry. I haven't responded earlier. I was reading from one of the other forums on line. With over 225 replies. With the computer's locking up,sensor error's. The company not responding and or not fixing the problem when under warranty and or changing the length of warranty,etc... Their were changing from like a 2 yr down to 3 months,etc....That's my understanding of what I read....

oddbod
07-23-2008, 03:08
Hi all,
Sorry. I haven't responded earlier. I was reading from one of the other forums on line. With over 225 replies. With the computer's locking up,sensor error's. The company not responding and or not fixing the problem when under warranty and or changing the length of warranty,etc... Their were changing from like a 2 yr down to 3 months,etc....That's my understanding of what I read....

What model is it? or which forum?

hawkenph
07-23-2008, 03:52
www.scubaboard.com under computers,etc.. title: Beware of Sunnto computers D9 and Vytec. Its on page 2.

Mase
07-23-2008, 14:41
Thanks Mike S. I see the battery icon doesn't show on the face of the computer until it needs to be changed.

mike_s
07-23-2008, 15:18
Thanks Mike S. I see the battery icon doesn't show on the face of the computer until it needs to be changed.

still might not be a bad idea to change it before a liveboard. it appears that if it's even "low" that it won't go into dive mode.

you don't want it to go into "low battery" mode while on the trip and loose your dive/nitrogen/o2 data and have to sit out dives for a $2,500 liveaboard because of a $3 dollar battery.

I'd suggest buying replacement batteries at a place that sells them often and "rotates stock" often, such as Walmart. No offese to your LDS, but chances are the batteries they stock have been sitting on their shelf for 6 months to 2 years because their sales volume on them is prob pretty low.

according to the manual, the battery used is the CR2032. might use 2 of them, so buy a two pack. You can pick these up at Walmart, Target, etc for under $5 bucks. If they aren't in the main battery section, check in the watch/jewelry section. I'd buy a spare set and put them in a ziplock bag (to keep moisture off them) and keep in your dive/regulator bag.

Looks like you need some silicon grease to lube the o-ring at the time you change it also. you can pick up a small tube of that at your LDS.

Dive-aholic
08-17-2008, 02:48

When I was diving a Duo on a regular basis, the battery lasted about a year and a half (but I do about 150 dives a year). The last time I changed my battery, the low battery indicator wasn't indicating low battery, but the computer was acting up. Changing the battery fixed it.

You won't lose any of the information when you change the battery. I had my battery out for several minutes and all the information in the log was still there when I put a new one in.

mike_s
08-18-2008, 10:13
[quote=mike_s;203857]

You won't lose any of the information when you change the battery. I had my battery out for several minutes and all the information in the log was still there when I put a new one in.

when you say "information", do you mean Logged dives or does that include Nitrogen and O2 loading for dives in the last 24 hours?

For example, I think on one of my computers, if you change the battery you won't loose dives in the log, but if change it between multiple repetative dives, you might loose that info regarding getting back in the water with already nitrogen and F02/Po2 loading in your system.

Dive-aholic
08-22-2008, 00:51
I don't think you lose any information, but I can't say for sure. I've used my Duo maybe 3 times in the past 12 months. It's a back up/recreational profile computer for me now. The 2 times I've had to change the batteries, they were changed during several surface interval days.