PDA

View Full Version : "Mystery" lake diving

mm2002
04-24-2008, 13:40
There's a lake just a couple of blocks up the road from us called "Silver Creek Lake". It has always been a popular little fishing spot for the locals, but about three years ago a local guy and his wife bought it and the land adjoining it. It is spring fed, and I'd say about 5 to 6 acres in size. Recently, the guy approached the wife and I, and asked if we'd be interested in diving it to gather some info. Evidentially, he has been stocking it with several species of fish, and I know in the past I've seen 6 to 7 lb cats, and some decent Bass come out of there. He recently had the water tested, and claims it is some of the cleanest water in the area. I wouldn't doubt it, as it's inlet is a clean rocky creek, and it pretty much has at least some flow all the time. He would like info such as depths, bottom composition, fish species, etc. I don't know how deep it is, but everyone seems to think it ranges from 10 to 20ft+. Right now, with all the rain, we're going to have to wait for it to settle out a bit, but in the next few weeks it should be back to normal. I think it would be some fun and interesting diving, especially at our experience level. If anyone is interested in coming down and checking it out with us let me know. I don't want a huge crowd, because it IS their homestead, but there's a lot of bottom to cover just for the wife and I. Before we actually plan anything, I will find out more regarding vis, etc. If it's all rocky bottom like many of the creeks around here, I'd say it could be really clear at some point in the season. On the other hand, if the vis is total crap we probably won't mess with it.

Penguino
04-25-2008, 01:13
Have they cleared out any of the old hooks from the fishermen? Just something you might want to watch for...

snagel
04-25-2008, 05:05
mm2002,

Sounds like an adventure. I live about 3 hours north of you; so not in your neighborhood. Keep us posted on any plans when they become definate and who knows somebody might be in the area and up for it. Definately, post what you find after the dive.

Last year we dove an abandoned quarry. We had heard that cars had been dropped off into the quarry and we joked about maybe finding dead bodies (we didn't). We didn't even find any cars. We had heard that a train engine was in the quarry, but didn't find this either. The water was super cold. We layerd up pretty good, but my face was numb to the point it felt like I had "an icecream headache".

Point is that it was an adventure and very fun. Yes, be prepared for things like fishing line if has been fished. Had a dive buddy once get tangled up in fishing line, not a huge thing if you keep your head and your prepared.

It ought to be fun and by chance if I'm in the area when you plan this, I just might tag along. Always up for an adventure and something new.

S. Nagel

p.s. - Did you ever get your drysuit cert? I beleive you were going to try and do it during DUI days at TR, but we all know what happened that weekend.

mm2002
04-25-2008, 09:48
mm2002,

Sounds like an adventure. I live about 3 hours north of you; so not in your neighborhood. Keep us posted on any plans when they become definate and who knows somebody might be in the area and up for it. Definately, post what you find after the dive.

Last year we dove an abandoned quarry. We had heard that cars had been dropped off into the quarry and we joked about maybe finding dead bodies (we didn't). We didn't even find any cars. We had heard that a train engine was in the quarry, but didn't find this either. The water was super cold. We layerd up pretty good, but my face was numb to the point it felt like I had "an icecream headache".

Point is that it was an adventure and very fun. Yes, be prepared for things like fishing line if has been fished. Had a dive buddy once get tangled up in fishing line, not a huge thing if you keep your head and your prepared.

It ought to be fun and by chance if I'm in the area when you plan this, I just might tag along. Always up for an adventure and something new.

S. Nagel

p.s. - Did you ever get your drysuit cert? I beleive you were going to try and do it during DUI days at TR, but we all know what happened that weekend.

I'm sure there's PLENTY of fishing line and hooks down there. That's kinda why I'm thinking if the vis isn't real good, we may not mess with it. At this point in my "diving career", I'm pretty sure I'd hit the panic button being entwined in fishing line in zero vis. :smiley36: There's a popular swimming hole upstream from the lake, and that water is usually very clear. The deepest spot there is about 8 ft but you can see the bottom like it was right on the surface. If this lake is anything like that, it could definitely be a lot of fun. I'll let you know how it looks over the next few weeks. I also found out the name of the lake, and edited the original post. I guess they renamed it after the creek.

I still haven't got the drysuit cert. There's nothing diveable down here right now, and the pool isn't open yet.

divingchef
04-25-2008, 11:28
Dude, that sounds pretty cool.......have fun....post your results.....

maverick
04-25-2008, 20:04
Find out about the vis late I might B interested.

Dark Wolf
04-25-2008, 21:22
I would be interested in giving you a hand diving this spot. Please let me know when you are looking at doing this. I have some experience in these types of conditions, and would like to be involved.

DW

mm2002
04-27-2008, 11:45
Sounds good, I'll definitely let you guys know.

davis73
04-27-2008, 23:43
Sounds fun. If I can make it I would go.

cummings66
04-28-2008, 22:06
It could be fun. Jeff, what are all those fish around you? Where was that?

davis73
04-28-2008, 22:28
Hi, Matt. Those are bluegill at the rock crusher in Haigh quarry.

ratown
04-28-2008, 22:38
mm2002,

S. Nagel

There's a quarry where I live that is out in the woods in a city owned no trespassing area. This area has burnt cars and all kinds of weird crap so we could only imagine what's on the bottom of this quarry. We talked about diving it, but getting arrested would suck. The adventure is alluring.

fire diver
04-28-2008, 23:09
There's a quarry where I live that is out in the woods in a city owned no trespassing area. This area has burnt cars and all kinds of weird crap so we could only imagine what's on the bottom of this quarry. We talked about diving it, but getting arrested would suck. The adventure is alluring.

Ohhhh, the allure of the sneak dive. Do you dare? You would be the first? Might see something cool. Might see something horrible. The mystery beckons.....

But not usually worth the trouble of getting arrested.

ratown
04-29-2008, 16:06

Ohhhh, the allure of the sneak dive. Do you dare? You would be the first? Might see something cool. Might see something horrible. The mystery beckons.....

But not usually worth the trouble of getting arrested.

Ya, but I guarantee you, I will be scoping it out a few times this summer...

cummings66
04-29-2008, 19:28
It's not worth it. You realize they can take your gear as evidence, meaning you don't get to dive until they finish and who knows if it'll be usable for diving after that.

I've seen them take guns and when they give them back they're rusted pieces of steel.

It's not worth it. Not to mention the damage it does to your fellow divers. I know of places now off limits because of divers doing the same thing. One bad apple ruins it for the rest. Never trespass, it hurts more than one person when you get caught, it gives us all a black eye.

ratown
04-29-2008, 19:30
bastids...

mm2002
04-30-2008, 18:08
If I really wanted to dive it, I'd check with the authorities and see if it is possible to get special permissions. The "no trespassing" signs are probably there for liability purposes, and to keep kids from swimming in it, but if you were to contact them as a certified diver, you just may be granted permission to dive it with a waiver of some sort. That's what I'd try. Hey, all they can do is say no, and then nothing has changed! Trying to sneak in there though, don't do that.

ratown
04-30-2008, 18:14
It is in like an unincorporated portion of the county. People go mudding back there and burn cars. That's why it's off limits. Part of the fun would be doing something that's against the rules. I'm sure this mentality will wear off in a couple years. lol.

DiverMAN
04-30-2008, 18:57
It is in like an unincorporated portion of the county. People go mudding back there and burn cars. That's why it's off limits. Part of the fun would be doing something that's against the rules. I'm sure this mentality will wear off in a couple years. lol.

It should wear off in like at least 5 years...

Mtrewyn
05-01-2008, 18:18
If I really wanted to dive it, I'd check with the authorities and see if it is possible to get special permissions. The "no trespassing" signs are probably there for liability purposes, and to keep kids from swimming in it, but if you were to contact them as a certified diver, you just may be granted permission to dive it with a waiver of some sort. That's what I'd try. Hey, all they can do is say no, and then nothing has changed! Trying to sneak in there though, don't do that.

I have been amazed with what I can get away with by just asking.

We have some 4x4 trails that are marked as "no trespassing" but we just found out who owned the land and called and he said sure, no prob, and all we have to do is tell the cops when they show up and the do every time that we have permission and give the guys name and they leave us alone.

Mtrewyn
05-01-2008, 18:22
There are some quarries within a short drive of my house, that I have asked about, and no one seems to know anything about other than "bad fishing"...made me think, I may have to explore that a little more.

mm2002
05-01-2008, 18:56
There are some quarries within a short drive of my house, that I have asked about, and no one seems to know anything about other than "bad fishing"...made me think, I may have to explore that a little more.

That sounds like something worth looking into for sure. Ya never know, there may be a killer dive site among those old quarries.

ratown
05-01-2008, 19:16
Ya who knows. Maybe I will find someone to ask.

Mtrewyn
05-04-2008, 15:46

That sounds like something worth looking into for sure. Ya never know, there may be a killer dive site among those old quarries.

The one I am thinking of, they say it is very alkli (basic) so nothing grows in it, but boy is it clear! and I would hate to destroy my gear but, I'll ask around and do some more research, I'll let you all know.

mm2002
05-04-2008, 18:22

The one I am thinking of, they say it is very alkli (basic) so nothing grows in it, but boy is it clear! and I would hate to destroy my gear but, I'll ask around and do some more research, I'll let you all know.

Did you mean Alkaline? I can't imagine it being so alkaline as to damage gear. Sea water is very alkaline (around 8.2 to 8.6 PH), but most fresh water is around 6.5 to 7.0 (acidic). The reason nothing grows in it is because there are very few fresh water species of fish that live in an alkaline environment. I know that Cichlids, and some brackish water fish live in alkaline fresh water, but that's the only ones I know of. Still, I don't know about it harming the synthetic materials most of our scuba gear is comprised of. Interesting though.

Mtrewyn
05-05-2008, 19:22

The one I am thinking of, they say it is very alkali (basic) so nothing grows in it, but boy is it clear! and I would hate to destroy my gear but, I'll ask around and do some more research, I'll let you all know.

Did you mean Alkaline? I can't imagine it being so alkaline as to damage gear. Sea water is very alkaline (around 8.2 to 8.6 PH), but most fresh water is around 6.5 to 7.0 (acidic). The reason nothing grows in it is because there are very few fresh water species of fish that live in an alkaline environment. I know that Cichlids, and some brackish water fish live in alkaline fresh water, but that's the only ones I know of. Still, I don't know about it harming the synthetic materials most of our scuba gear is comprised of. Interesting though.

Yes that is what I meant I could not get it typed with out it looking funny so i gave up, The spell checker did not pick it up. Thanks.

I sent a message to the county to see who owns it, to see if i can get in and take some water samples to get tested, from what I saw I don't think even algae will grow. It still looks very blue in spite of all the rain and run off...could be bad or good I just don't want to have gray gear, bad enough with the pool bleaching over time, don't need it from the other end too.

mm2002
05-05-2008, 20:14
Yeah, I kinda understood what you meant. Yep, if it's fresh water, and above 7.5 (or so) PH, I doubt much would grow in it. I would have to think there may still be some fun diving due to the great vis though. :smiley20:

wolfen42
05-08-2008, 11:24

5-10 with time off for good behavior?

ratown
05-08-2008, 12:10

5-10 with time off for good behavior?

lol hopefully before that.

Mtrewyn
05-10-2008, 20:53
I got permission to do a water test on "my" lake, What things should I test for? I know it would not pass a drinking water, but than table rock and beaver won't ether, any thoughts?

ratown
05-10-2008, 21:17
PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, different bacteria like cyanobacteria for starters.

mm2002
05-10-2008, 21:34
I got permission to do a water test on "my" lake, What things should I test for? I know it would not pass a drinking water, but than table rock and beaver won't ether, any thoughts?

Phosphorous, PH, and bacteria counts are the main things I believe. It doesn't have to be drinkable to be diveable!

mm2002
05-10-2008, 21:39
PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, different bacteria like cyanobacteria for starters.

Sounds like you're testing an aquarium! :smiley36:
Don't forget carbonate hardness, alkalinity, and dissolved oxygen!

ratown
05-11-2008, 00:38
Lol, I didn't realize he was testing to see if it was diveable. There are dudes who dive in poop tanks.

mm2002
05-15-2008, 20:43
Lol, I didn't realize he was testing to see if it was diveable. There are dudes who dive in poop tanks.

Not without the PADI Poop Diver card they don't!

ratown
05-15-2008, 20:58
Haha! I wonder if there is one of those out there..... That might be a good way to make some money... or lose some..:smiley36:

Geoff_T
05-15-2008, 21:16
Sounds like you are describing a limestone quarry. If so I used to dive them a lot in PA. Not quite as bad as the pool for your gear just wash it afterwards. Vis should be good but like you said won't be much in the way of plant and fish life. Do you know what kind of quarry this was it may make a difference in what you need to look for. And it might not hurt to look for arsenic not that you will be drinking this but I would still want to know if I was going to dive it.

Mtrewyn
05-16-2008, 17:47
I'm not really sure what it was used for, it has been out of use for a L.O.N.G time and I was only able to get a name and address of who owned the land, I sent a letter but have not gotten much back in the way of permission other than, if you want to test it go ahead, that was about it, I'm hoping to get more later but I don't want to be too pushy. You know first date and all.

fire diver
05-16-2008, 17:58
I'm not really sure what it was used for, it has been out of use for a L.O.N.G time and I was only able to get a name and address of who owned the land, I sent a letter but have not gotten much back in the way of permission other than, if you want to test it go ahead, that was about it, I'm hoping to get more later but I don't want to be too pushy. You know first date and all.

There you go.. "go ahead" They didn't specify HOW it was to be tested. I say you need to don your gear and take samples at all levels of depth, many times, over many years to gain a true picture of the "water quality". Of course, if you have multiple divers with you for "safety" then so much the better.

mm2002
05-17-2008, 08:40

There you go.. "go ahead" They didn't specify HOW it was to be tested. I say you need to don your gear and take samples at all levels of depth, many times, over many years to gain a true picture of the "water quality". Of course, if you have multiple divers with you for "safety" then so much the better.

I can't think of a better way to test it! :smiley36:

Mtrewyn
05-17-2008, 09:38

I never thought of it that way. I'll have to think about that a little:smiley2: