PDA

View Full Version : How many of you

boates
04-24-2008, 18:39
practice to be green? You know, turning off lights, recycling,etc, and the biggest thing...... turn off your computer.
I think lotsa us fail here.
not a criticism, just an observation. :smiley11:

FishFood
04-24-2008, 18:48
I try to be green, but only to save money. Most of my electricity comes from nuclear, so flipping a light switch wouldnt "save the earth" anyway. (as compared to something like coal)

One thing I have done lately is started to drive less. It's hard to do, but at 12mpg I really have no choice.

Oh, as far as recycling: Cans only. Not sure of a plastic recylcer around here... Who here takes their plastic bags back to Walmart to be recycled?

terrillja
04-24-2008, 18:54
Well I use fluorescent bulbs whenever possible. They are better energy-wise, but have other problems (Hg [mercury] being one).

Texas Girl
04-24-2008, 19:12
I recycle newspapers, cans, glass, and plastic bottles, and have for many years. I take all grocery style bags back to Walmart/Albertsons, except for the ones that have been used for trash, etc. Don't ever turn off the computer, unless I am going out of town, try to turn lights off when not in the room (was raised with this), don't unplug unused electrical appliances, and I have started replacing regular light bulbs most of the time.

Charles R
04-24-2008, 19:25
All light bulbs in the house are florescent, turn off lights when leaving the room, and we only own laptops and they don't always get turned off but they get closed so the go into hibernation mode.:smiley20:

mm2002
04-24-2008, 19:54
This thread has made me too ashamed to tell the truth.

Garrobo
04-24-2008, 20:21
I use what I need and then pay the bill. No extra special attempts to save. Just common sense.

nashwl
04-24-2008, 20:35
Im with you Garrabo. I dont believe in Global Warming, sorry but the people who ram that down your throughts have zero evidence (in fact this last winter was one of the coldest on record) and all stand to profit from it, but I do believe in not paying huge power bills because I am too lazy to turn lights off.

jbres1
04-24-2008, 21:05
Funny you ask, I will be getting a new car on Friday so that I can drive my truck less. My truck gets 15 mpg, the car will be getting about 30 mpg.
I will be saving enough gas each month to cover all but $50.00 of the car payment.
Also my family recycles alot. We have 1 garbage can of trash and 1 of plastic/glass/ metal, and 1 of paper each week on trash pick-up day.
Jim Breslin

divergirl
04-24-2008, 21:12
My family's always been really environmentally friendly.. so we haven't really changed any of our ways with the "going green" trend.

We recycle anything that's recycleable.. use cloth bags for grocery shopping... we don't eat much product that comes in packaging and we have our heating set on a regular temperature everyday which drops at night... we also don't use lights in the house much and if we leave a room we turn it off.

Probably our biggest problem is leaving the computers on and all the plugs connected for our fish tanks and my gecko's night light.

Osprey
04-24-2008, 22:15
Why do people think the world has to heat up before we should put in an extra effort to make it a cleaner place??

It doesn't matter if the earth is getting hot or cold, there's no reason not to try and be nicer to the environment.

Beaucoupfishies
04-24-2008, 22:30
If you're not using the computer, turn it off. Knock the a/c up a degree because it doesn't make that big of a difference. Recycle because even if you don't believe in global warming, we still don't need bigger landfills.

You don't have to completely change the way you live. Just do a few small things that help and you're helping yourself in the process.

JediShack
04-24-2008, 23:22
Even though I live in government housing (barracks :smiley19:) I still make sure I turn off the lights and don't leave the water running. But that has more to do with how I was raised than anything else. If you think recycling has a big positive impact on the environment you should watch this video. YouTube - Penn & Teller: Bull****! - 205 - Recycling 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHAuU5JjRyQ) YouTube - Penn & Teller: Bull****! - 205 - Recycling 2/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if2MfYqJgAI) YouTube - Penn & Teller: Bull****! - 205 - Recycling 3/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtex699GyEc)

cmburch
04-24-2008, 23:49
My home and rentals use fluorescent lighting, electronic ignitions on furnaces with programmable thermostats, cleaning filters, efficient AC, automatic lighting, efficient frontloading washer and dryers, tankless water heaters (use less gas but more water), programmable sprinklers, attic fans, double pane windows, additional floor insulation, etc. This has to do with saving money on utility costs, PG&E rebates and tax incentives. Even my 10 year old computers have sleep/power down modes. They do not require to be switched off. They power down automatically.

ChrisA
04-25-2008, 00:39
Here in Redondo Beach, everyone recycles. The city providea a blue trash can and all recycleables (paper, plastic, metal and glass) are to go there. We get a green trash can for all yard trimming like grass and tree branches and leaves. They mack multch out of this and sell it. Recycling helps to lower the cost of trash pickup and keep most of the stuff out of land fills.

I have also replaced all of the lights with fluorescent. Well there is one bulb I've not been able to.

I'm typing this on an Apple iMac. The computer uses all of abut 60 watts of power

I may look into solar power. I think it has just crossed the line into being cost effective

Beaucoupfishies
04-25-2008, 09:12
Here in Redondo Beach, everyone recycles. The city providea a blue trash can and all recycleables (paper, plastic, metal and glass) are to go there. We get a green trash can for all yard trimming like grass and tree branches and leaves. They mack multch out of this and sell it. Recycling helps to lower the cost of trash pickup and keep most of the stuff out of land fills.

I have also replaced all of the lights with fluorescent. Well there is one bulb I've not been able to.

I'm typing this on an Apple iMac. The computer uses all of abut 60 watts of power

I may look into solar power. I think it has just crossed the line into being cost effective

Yeah I wish I was going to be staying where I am for more than a couple of years. The roof of our condo faces East and slopes to the West, so it would be PERFECT for solar cells. The energy savings would be huge but I can't justify the set up cost for two years. Oh well, something to look for in our next place.

Let us know how it works out for you if you decide to do it!

Beaucoupfishies
04-25-2008, 09:13
My home and rentals use fluorescent lighting, electronic ignitions on furnaces with programmable thermostats, cleaning filters, efficient AC, automatic lighting, efficient frontloading washer and dryers, tankless water heaters (use less gas but more water), programmable sprinklers, attic fans, double pane windows, additional floor insulation, etc. This has to do with saving money on utility costs, PG&E rebates and tax incentives. Even my 10 year old computers have sleep/power down modes. They do not require to be switched off. They power down automatically.

That's really awesome. :smiley32: Did the house come that way or have you been updating everything yourself?

dallasdivergirl
04-25-2008, 09:22
I got nylon bags for shopping with (the people who check/bag look at me like I am nuts unless I go to whole foods or central market), I use the cf bulbs, I rarely have lights on due to my huge windows, I haven't used a/c or heat in probably 2 months(my electric bill was $50 last month).

My major down fall is driving. I have to drive a lot to get to my new job (last commute was 2.2 miles, this one is 28!) and for work. I am looking to move as soon as I can to cut down on at least the commute but I can't get as close as I was. The new job is in a not so great area.

I think part of it is common sense and part just taking a moment & thinking about what you are doing/eating/buying.

scubasamurai
04-25-2008, 12:45
replaced all the light bulbs with the fluorescent lights, the swimming pool is salt water, everything sealed up tight and if its yellow its mellow if it is brown flush it down!! motto.

DUnder
04-25-2008, 14:52
I am not real green. I do use compact fluorescent bulbs in my house, water saving appliances, recycle pop cans thats about all.

CompuDude
04-25-2008, 15:33
My home is new construction, with high R values everywhere. It stays a comfortable temperature most times without the air coming on. The air is left on most of the time, however, but this magic thing called a programmable thermostat ($50 at Home Depot) means it only kicks on when actually needed.

I have compact fluorescents everywhere I can, and where I can't, the lights are on dimmers preset to roughly 60% full brightness.

Our trash collecting service sorts and recycles for us... this is mandated now, may be a state of California thing, I'm not sure. Before that I separated Alum, glass and plastic and recycled it separately.

My main computer stays on 24/7. I'm accessing it remotely from various locations at any random time, and sharing files to my in-house network, so it stays on, period. The LCD monitor kicks into low power, however, and I manually turn it off most of the time anyway. My other desktop system is a Mac that goes to sleep (almost no power) after 20 minutes of disuse, and all other systems are laptops that standby or sleep when not being used.

DollFin
04-25-2008, 15:44
While I don't believe all the global warming propaganda, I DO believe that it's just common sense to be as environmentally responsible as you can. I do what I can to recycle and be energy efficient, but I'm not fanatical about it.

BuzzF117
04-25-2008, 16:17
Not me im not green at all. I change my oil in my vehicles and let it run straight on the ground so that the impurities can get filtered out and then in the future we can repump the oil............Im just kidding but im not green at all Global warming is mostly a hoax put forth by a bunch of rich poeple that fly around in their private jets and want you to save on toilet paper and gas but they don't practice what they preach. When Al Gore and Sharol Crow move into a 1200sq ft house and start towing their own line then maybe I would condisder it.

What does piss me off is when people don't do the little things like keep there trash cans covered so animals can't get in them or a psycho fishermen thinks he is a stud because he can haul in a 1500lb shark for pictures.

cummings66
04-25-2008, 16:35
I haven't turned off my computer in so long it's been forgotten. To be honest, the only time it's off is when there is a major lightning storm. My sat gear gets turned off when there's a storm.

Storms, that's the thing that makes me turn things off.

FOUNDATIONER
04-25-2008, 17:01
I don't do anything special that I haven't always done, lights off when not in use, that kind of thing. Probably the most important thing I do is NOT
buying fuel mixed with ethanol. It's more expensive to burn regular gas
but burning our food in cars is about the stupidest thing I can think of.
Thank you Congress for mandating that madness!

Dieseler
04-26-2008, 09:15
I won't call myself overly "green" but as with many others; florescent bulbs everywhere, use as few lights as possible, re-use my plastic bags for all sorts of things. There's not a recycling program around here, so I don't do that though I should find a station on my own.

I got rid of my old 3/4ton diesel truck and drive a much more "sensible" car. Though a turbocharged 4cyl isn't exactly a Prius, it's a heck of alot better than my old truck! I tend to walk to most places anyways.

My computer stays on, but goes into sleep mode.

And yes, ethanol is a joke and I hate it with a passion! So many better options for alternate fuel sources!

cmburch
04-26-2008, 10:57

That's really awesome. :smiley32: Did the house come that way or have you been updating everything yourself?

These homes are over 30 years old. The house that I am currently in is an old farm house over 60 years old with upgraded plumbing, windows, electrical (I'm still working in the attic and basement to abandon some old wiring). I have rabbits, chickens, dog, etc. The first year my water heater failed. My sister had a tankless water heater and was happy with it, so I began replacing as needed over the past 5 years. There have been PG&E rebates and/or tax incentives for compact fluorescent bulbs, wall and ceiling insulation, tankless waterheaters, programmable thermostats, front loading washers, fans that exhaust the attic, etc. Example - I need attic exhaust fans on houses $100 fan $50 PG&E rebate and maybe a tax write off if a rental or on list of tax incentives like tankless waterheaters. Frontloading washer and low flow toilets had rebates through the water company.

cummings66
04-26-2008, 12:44
A lot of people retrofit older houses like that, when you're replacing it anyhow it's not a bad idea.

skippy11
04-27-2008, 22:03
You know, we are not extreme green practicing people either. However, we do small things that can be seen as green. Recycling paper/cans, energy saving appliances and lights. We have stopped driving as much too. To and from work only, except the occasional Walmart trip. We have also started carpooling when we can. Before gas prices shot up, we used to keep the roads hot.