PDA

View Full Version : Michigan vs Florida

crosseyed95
04-24-2008, 20:53
I just got back from a Florida (get ready to dive here) trip. During my trip, I pondered the fact that Florida can sink ships for diving but the Great Lakes can't seem to even have a pattern to buoy wrecks even in our preserves.

I know this has been beat over on SB many times over. I know that with the current political system in Michigan that divers probably don't have a chance in he!! of changing anything. Most wrecks get a buoy by divers like myself going out there and sticking our own used detergent jugs on them.

But just for conversation, what ideas or thoughts are out there on how to fix our problems? I have a couple:

1. Michigan can charge a yearly fee to dive anywhere in Michigan waters. What divers would get would be a guarantee that "at least" in the preserves the wrecks would have a buoy. The State wouldn't have to do this but could contract it out to a dive shop. DOWNSIDE: we all know that Michigan has a history of doing a fee (tax) and then not delivering a return.

2. Don't want a fee? The State could at least assign a volunteer(s) to buoy the wrecks. Publish a buoy on/buoy off schedule so that those wishing to dive in the fall know that they have a buoy until X date. The State could provide assistance if needed and would have a contact that the volunteer could call. DOWNSIDE: who is going to pay for the buoy. I'm happy with detergent bottles but what if the wreck needs something bigger?

3. Divers create their own website and volunteers report in as to whether a wreck has a buoy. This way if you head to so and so wreck you can look to see if it's buoy'd. (maybe this is out there but I haven't found anything reliable) DOWNSIDE: What if we divers can't get our act together and report in.

If you have an idea, throw it out here. We can't hope to change the system but it would be interesting reading while we wait for it to snow again. :icon_wink_xmas:

crosseyed95

Bert
04-25-2008, 14:40
In the state capitol there a bill that would increase the protected area and set up a volentary fund to pay for the marking of wreck sites, Divers Training had an artical about it a few months ago.

DarinMartell
04-28-2008, 19:04
As far as your idea about a website, why not start a "sticky" post and have it here? I know what you are talking about. I have nly done 2 wrecks in Lake MI but one (the biggest) only had a laundry bottle. While the other had a nice bouy.

crosseyed95
04-28-2008, 20:33
As far as your idea about a website, why not start a "sticky" post and have it here? I know what you are talking about. I have nly done 2 wrecks in Lake MI but one (the biggest) only had a laundry bottle. While the other had a nice bouy.

Does anyone else agree that a "sticky" post would be of benefit?

BusDiver
04-29-2008, 11:36
Doesn't number 3 exist already? I posted a new website a few months back. I believe it is called **********************. I do not support a fee of any type to dive. The money will be misused.

crosseyed95
04-29-2008, 20:08
Doesn't number 3 exist already? I posted a new website a few months back. I believe it is called **********************. I do not support a fee of any type to dive. The money will be misused.

hey busdiver,

Is there a way on that website to show what has buoys and what doesn't? I went and looked and I see it shows whether there is mooring or not but will this be updated to show recent info.

Don't worry about misuse of money. Just send $200 to "crosseyed95 c/o Scubatoys". Guarantee it will be well spent..:smiley20: