PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Rocks!

Darthwader
04-25-2008, 06:30
Just got back into the pool after a brief hiatus;(boy I missed those laps!). pulled off 28 Laps in a 25yd pool in about 45 minutes, I'm no water rocket, but I sure would love to get a 40 sec lap.
just a thought, but what do you think is more important, speed or endurance?

mitsuguy
04-25-2008, 08:04
Just got back into the pool after a brief hiatus;(boy I missed those laps!). pulled off 28 Laps in a 25yd pool in about 45 minutes, I'm no water rocket, but I sure would love to get a 40 sec lap.

both... you need to be able to have speed when you need it, or endurance when you need it...

without fins, my best lap time is about 23 seconds, with fins, around 17 seconds... but I can't do that for long, 3-4 laps at best...

mm_dm
04-25-2008, 08:12

I would have to say endurance. You never know how far you'll have to swim and it helps to be able to keep on cranking. When I was getting ready for my DM swim test, I stated swimming regularly a few months ahead of time and worked my way to 1000 meters twice a week. Took me around a half hour to complete (I gained speed over time). When it came time to take the various swim tests I sqeaked by on the speed test and finished several minutes early on the longer fin/mask/snorkle test. Once, a guy was in the lane next to me and was determined to beat me from one end to another (he kept lookong over to check where I was at). After a few laps of that he started to slow and I overtook hi with my same plodding rate. He quit about halfway through my session, then looked over and laughed "tortoise and the hare, huh?". Just my 2 psi.

Darthwader
04-25-2008, 08:21
without fins, my best lap time is about 23 seconds, with fins, around 17 seconds... but I can't do that for long, 3-4 laps at best...
My best time was 45 seconds, couldn't seem to break it. My best distance was 80 laps. right now I'm averaging 11 strokes/25yds. I can feel that I'm not pulling hard enough, so I need to improve that. Seems I've been getting my distances up, but not my speed.
I'm pretty certain certain I'll never approach anywhere near the 35sec mark but I need to if I want to average 40sec.
Regardless, I've not found an activity better I'm pumped for the rest of the day after a good pool session.

mm_dm
04-25-2008, 08:25
Check out the book "Total Immersion". I think it has a video as well. It shows you how to better position your body in the water and make better use of your stroke.

Darthwader
04-25-2008, 08:29

I would have to say endurance. You never know how far you'll have to swim and it helps to be able to keep on cranking. When I was getting ready for my DM swim test, I stated swimming regularly a few months ahead of time and worked my way to 1000 meters twice a week. Took me around a half hour to complete (I gained speed over time). When it came time to take the various swim tests I sqeaked by on the speed test and finished several minutes early on the longer fin/mask/snorkle test. Once, a guy was in the lane next to me and was determined to beat me from one end to another (he kept lookong over to check where I was at). After a few laps of that he started to slow and I overtook hi with my same plodding rate. He quit about halfway through my session, then looked over and laughed "tortoise and the hare, huh?". Just my 2 psi.

I never swam competitively, so I have no formal training; consequently, I'm not imtimidated by the swimmers who seem to crank out three laps to my one (seems that way anyway!). I kind of consoled/resigned myself to the fact that, I may never go as fast as I want, but I may atleast go as far as I want!:smiley36: I did notice however that as I improved in the pool, posture, technique, stamina, my times did improve. I think that I just need a good regimen and solid coaching to get my times down. There's an event in Chicago called the Big Shoulders swim that I'd derely love to attend, and complete, so I do need to focus more on the clock.
BTW, it was the DM requirements that got me thinking about distance. I'm not there yet, but I do want my DM cert. eitherway, I've found that swimming allwos me to enjoy diving more.

Check out the book "Total Immersion". I think it has a video as well. It shows you how to better position your body in the water and make better use of your stroke.
Thanks, I'll get it look

frogman159
04-25-2008, 10:53
I used to swim competitvly my best time was 26 sec 50 yard, but that was 10 years ago:smiley5:

Instead of just banging out laps, using a pace clock and a workout will get you more speed and endurance at the same time.

As an example:
10 x 100 Freestyle on 1:40
This means swim ten 100-yard swims in 1:40 including rest. If you swim the 100 yards in 1:20 seconds, you'll have 20 seconds rest. If you swim the 100 yards in 1:35 seconds you'll only get 5 seconds rest.

After this set give yourself 2 minutes rest and do something similair with 50 yard sprints, 200yard swims top it off with a 500 yarder and in no time, you'll be mistaken for a fish

Darthwader
04-25-2008, 11:58
I used to swim competitvly my best time was 26 sec 50 yard, but that was 10 years ago:smiley5:

Instead of just banging out laps, using a pace clock and a workout will get you more speed and endurance at the same time.

As an example:
This means swim ten 100-yard swims in 1:40 including rest. If you swim the 100 yards in 1:20 seconds, you'll have 20 seconds rest. If you swim the 100 yards in 1:35 seconds you'll only get 5 seconds rest.

After this set give yourself 2 minutes rest and do something similair with 50 yard sprints, 200yard swims top it off with a 500 yarder and in no time, you'll be mistaken for a fish

Appreciate the tip, I'll give that a try. So far all I've been doing is "banging out laps." I swap out routines with the kick board and pull float, but for the most part, I don't really have a structured plan. I've been using the book Swimming for Fitness as a guide, but I haven't followed it as closely as I should.
My concern is that if your best was 26sec then I'm not too optimistic that at 46 I'll be able to make a 35 sec goal.

frogman159
04-25-2008, 12:16
My concern is that if your best was 26sec then I'm not too optimistic that at 46 I'll be able to make a 35 sec goal.

You'd be surprised a 35 second 50 yard freestyle is defintely in your reach.

Remember its easier to go from 40 seconds to 35 seconds, than it is to go from 25 seconds to 24

With a decent stroke technique and kickflip I'd bet you can get 35. Once you get around 31 seconds and below is going to require a lot of work.

frogman159
04-25-2008, 12:22
Oh yeah, and although it may not be popular, loose the baggy trunks, its like swimming with a parachute.

You'll probably drop 5 seconds or more off your 50 right there.

Darthwader
04-25-2008, 13:18
Oh yeah, and although it may not be popular, loose the baggy trunks, its like swimming with a parachute.

You'll probably drop 5 seconds or more off your 50 right there.
I can't stand those things! I wear my Navy Dive shorts (UDTs)from my USMC days; According to my daughters they're almost as bad a speedos!:smilie39:
I am, however, looking seriously at a pair of speedo trunks though. they look like they could pull double duty under my wetsuit and since they're just like bike shorts I shouldn't incur the wrath on my teenage daughters:smiley36:
BTW, thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to try that routine, and maybe combine some free weights.

frogman159
04-25-2008, 16:37
Yeah, the speedo's are tough, but that's all there was when I competed. At least now they've got those 1 piece "race suits" that kinda resemble a wetsuit...they streamline and allow you to maintain some dignity:smiley9:

Darthwader
04-28-2008, 11:03

As an example:
just tried your tip FM, it about killed me! I did feel a noticible difference when I was done though. A little tweaking and I'll be on my way!

frogman159
04-28-2008, 12:01
Great to hear it worked for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

You can also do ladder sets. Say 5x100 yrd swims 1st on 1:40 2nd 1:35, 3rd 1:30 etc...then go back up

longtailbda
05-28-2008, 16:54
With my hydrodynamic semi-displacement hull its all about endurance. Definitely tortoise not the hare.

matt151617
06-08-2008, 00:35
Go for endurance. Definitely. It'll help you more.

I love swimming though, it works out pretty much every muscle, and you feel great afterwards. And I LOVE not being all sweaty.

character157
06-27-2008, 00:41
I'd have to say endurance is more important. Being able to swim fast is nice and all but when it comes down to it, if you get tired soon after you complete your descent the dive isn't going to be as enjoyable.

Monkeylemon
06-30-2008, 15:19
Just a swimsuit tip: the company coolibar has an excellent array of chlorine-safe and sun-protective swimsuits. Their stuff can help you from having to apply a ton of sunblock every three seconds.
Sun Protective Clothing, Sun Hats, UV Protection Swimwear - Coolibar (http://www.coolibar.com)