PDA

View Full Version : Pressure on Back after surgery

Oldsboy455
04-25-2008, 07:51
I am in the process of getting certified. I had back surgery on Feb 7 08. (Microdisectomy) Will the pressure of being under water be a problem?

Skyjunky
04-25-2008, 10:00
I had a level 4 cervical dissection with fusion. I was back in the water 5 months later with no issues underwater. Only issue you might have is on land humping the gear around.

scubasavvy
04-25-2008, 11:10
Yeah, I would suggest speaking with your instructor and putting most of your gear on in the water.

mixahl
04-25-2008, 12:06
It should be no problem at all....

EuphoriaII
04-25-2008, 12:10
I would think the only difficulty would be getting the gear to the water and wading back out of the water (or climbing a boat ladder)

Seniordiver
04-25-2008, 14:02
I had the tendon connecting the thigh muscles in my left thigh to the knee. Eight months later I was diving off Cozumel, and after each deeper dive (90'+/-) the leg would go numb from the toes to the buttock for an hour or so, or even longer. My Dr determined that it was the anestethic (epidoral) that was still in my system. I respect the other answers here, but you might want to check what the gas passer is going to give you.
P.S.-dove a year later with no problem

Oldsboy455
04-25-2008, 15:42
Thanks for all the input I go see the Doc on the 30th and i plan on asking then. I think it will be fine but I am a newbie so I'll take things one step at a time. You get answers quick around here !!!!!

CompuDude
04-25-2008, 15:52
This definitely falls into the category of "check with your doctor" and not "ask the anonymous internet people". ;)

Probably not an issue, but this isn't an area you want to have any question.

My wife had 2 microdiscectomies last year. Her doctor has said she can dive as soon as she has had enough physical therapy that her back can take the weight. That part is going slowly, sadly.

It's a shame, she was all set to get certified... we were in the process of scheduling private instruction for the following week when her doctor pulled the plug and said she'd need surgery, and should avoid diving due the ambient pressure squeezing her spinal column, since she already had a nerve that was impinged. Said the pressure could exacerbate the problem. Whodathunk?

awb
04-25-2008, 21:07
I had surgery in 2001 and was diving 3 months later. Did advanced and rescue back to back. The only problem I ever had was the weight belt putting pressure on my lower back. Integrated weights or a weight system will work very well.:smiley20:

cutter77
04-26-2008, 03:56
I've got great info here for my medical diving concerns......

Scubadoc's Diving Medicine (http://scuba-doc.com/)

cummings66
04-26-2008, 09:28
Advice here can give hope that if others made it in a short amount of time so can you. I wouldn't use it as a basis for my treatment however.