PDA

View Full Version : Do you rent O2 cylinders?

Largo
04-25-2008, 19:55
This probably doesn't belong in this section, but I was wondering if anyone has had trouble renting O2 from a medical supply store?

Largo
04-25-2008, 19:56
I should add, that I produced my DAN O2 provider certification, and they said that I had to get a prescription from a doctor.

Rainer
04-25-2008, 20:45
I rent them (for mixing nitrox). At the place we're using now (a welding supply company) we get med grade. Walked in, asked for what we wanted, and pointed at the car. No questions, no problems.

CompuDude
04-25-2008, 22:45
Contact DAN, they might be willing to have a doctor call the store on your behalf.

Education re scuba concerns is far from universal...

I generally get my o2 tank filled at my LDS, though, so no worries there.

cummings66
04-26-2008, 09:26
It depends on the state. Here we have to get a prescription, but some states don't require that. I can get Aviator's grade with no hassle, don't even need to prove I'm a pilot. I asked them if they needed a photocopy of my certification and they said no.

Medical, forget it. You got to have a doctor sign off on it.

fkostyun
04-26-2008, 10:21
Here in AZ there's a few places that are pretty good about O2 for divers. There's one here that will also fill with (from what I've heard) a rescue diver card.

Largo
04-26-2008, 11:17
At the medical supply store, the first thing out of the lady's mouth was "Sorry, you can't get our regulators wet." It took me a moment to figure out what she was talking about. She thought that I wanted to use it to breathe on while diving.

I usually rent a DAN O2 kit from the LDS, when I want to go dive with buddies, but sometimes they don't have one available.

Rainer
04-26-2008, 11:28
Medical, forget it. You got to have a doctor sign off on it.

You'd be surprised in most areas that have the same "law"...

cummings66
04-26-2008, 13:24
Is that the wink nod good ole boys network?

If so, I think if you know somebody there's always a way around the rules, rules only apply to the unknown or poor. So it seems.

Rainer
04-26-2008, 23:34
Is that the wink nod good ole boys network?

If so, I think if you know somebody there's always a way around the rules, rules only apply to the unknown or poor. So it seems.

Nah, it's the power of the might dollar. Lots of places simply rather not ask questions and do business. We had to go to a couple of shops before we found our source, but in the end, it wasn't that hard. Our cost for 32% in doubles went from $30 a fill (LDS) to $5.

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 22:30
As a Rph, O2 is a medical product requiring a prescription, now laws do vary from state to state - but I could see it being slightly difficult.

CompuDude
05-15-2008, 01:34
As a Rph, O2 is a medical product requiring a prescription, now laws do vary from state to state - but I could see it being slightly difficult.

Not to mention the aviation and welding communities, neither of which need a prescription.

Geoff_T
05-15-2008, 01:36
just a stupid question but is there any difference in purity and such between aviation or welding o2 and that for medical?

CompuDude
05-15-2008, 01:44
just a stupid question but is there any difference in purity and such between aviation or welding o2 and that for medical?

Often, no. Sometimes, yes.

It really depends on the individual vendor. Often they all come from the same place (places like Praxair), but sometimes there are different protocols for filling the bottles of the various grades.

WD8CDH
05-15-2008, 15:59
Usually if they fill medical, they fill everything the same way so I get welding O2 from the welding/medical/avation gas supply shop since it costs less and comes from the same whip hose.

WD8CDH
05-15-2008, 16:05
Sometimes I do rent size D O2 cylinders for my rebreather when I travel. I have an adapter from medical yoke to DIN for use with medical post valves on my rebreather. I get an Rx from my doctor before I go but I haven't had to use it yet.

matt151617
05-15-2008, 16:09
You don't need a prescription... you can buy the equipment online for any state w/o prescription. Most places that have medical-grade oxygen (like a welding shop) will only have bigger bottles. Try a medical supply store, like where people on home oxygen would go.

cummings66
05-15-2008, 18:58
Different states different rules. In MO you need a prescription, but you can get aviators O2 without hassle.

huvrr
05-15-2008, 19:23
I'll let you know tomorrow there is an O2 supply right next to the LDS here.

in_cavediver
05-16-2008, 18:32
I go to a gas supplier not an LDS or Home health care place. Never had an issue. I told them I wanted it for diving and asked for aviators and they insisted on med o2 since they stock med o2 or welding, not aviators (its paperwork issue for them).

To them, its the same gas from the same source for the same price but they don't do aviation business so they don't stock the stuff for aviators. They also are the primary supplier for the counties EMS units. Again, they said it was paperwork/stock issue and they didn't want me breathing something saying welding o2. (potential liability if I do something stupid). Kinda funny in a way since it all revolved around the sticker on a particular tank not the contents of said tank.

I could get a K bottle for $20 or from a home health care place a E-bottle for $19.99 and a bunch of hassles.

cummings66
05-16-2008, 18:46
I use Linweld in MO but airgas has it too. Never go to any place other than the direct supplier, you'll pay a lot less for it.

The basic differences revolve around moisture content and how the cylinder is handled.

Aviators is dry so that you don't have freeze ups at altitude, medical O2 has a little more moisture in it and the cylinders are vacuumed down before filling to insure it's good for you. Welding O2 is normally good for breathing but there is no guarantee it's good. In welding if you contaminate the O2 you can get poor welds so it's usually pretty clean gas, but there just is not a guarantee.

I have got contaminated gas from Airgas in the past, Argon if you're curious about it so it does happen.

So for me it's either Aviators or Medical, and since our state won't allow them to give medical out without a prescription then for me it's aviators.

redrover
05-23-2008, 18:54
Much has been discussed already, but in Canada I haven't had a problem. Went to the local welding gas supply store and was able to rent a K cylinder of medical oxygen no questions asked.

For my O2 first aid kit, usually just get that filled at the dive shop.