PDA

View Full Version : Dived vs Dove

CPTOZZY
04-26-2008, 03:22
Which is Correct (ie: more betterer) Dived or Dove?

Like "I Just _____ Ginnie Springs and when I was there I ______ with my buddy

Bert
04-26-2008, 09:51
I would use dove, dived dosn't sound wright to me

mark44883
04-26-2008, 09:59
dovededdedd or just dove sounds most bestest lol

FishFood
04-26-2008, 10:19
Either is correct.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/1154-dived-dove.html

mixahl
04-26-2008, 10:25
Any english majors out here?? Dove is the more common past tense of 'dive' but both are correct.

SouthernSeas
07-13-2008, 02:49
It depends on what part of the world you are from.

"Dove" seems to be more commonly used in the US, while "dived" is more common elsewhere.

I'm originally from the US, but started diving when I moved overseas... I tend to use "dived" (but I also dive metric too!)

This article indicates that "dived" is technically more "correct" as a point of grammar, but because of common usage "dove" is not unacceptable either: The Grammarphobia Blog: "Lighted" vs. "lit" and "dived" vs. "dove" (http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2006/08/lighted-vs-lit-and-dived-vs-dove.html)

Best,
SouthernSeas

Vercingetorix
07-13-2008, 07:07
Either is correct

dive - Definitions from Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dive)

So...then the past tense of "live" would be "love" (pronounce with long-o) or "lived"
Past tense of "drive" is "drove" or "drived"
:smiley36:

//ain't English fun??

SlvrDragon50
07-13-2008, 21:53
Use both so you can mess with other people's brains :D

Dove sounds odd to me, but it may just be because most past tense verbs have -ed,

captain
07-14-2008, 09:43
Webster's dictionary list "dove" as the bird, different pronunciation, with no reference to diving at all.

Duckydiver
07-14-2008, 15:13
( from my post on the last thread, I think this will help)
I looked up dive in the merriam-webster dictionary online and got this description od its usage http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary)

usage Dive, which was originally a weak verb, developed a past tense dove, probably by analogy with verbs like drive, drove. Dove exists in some British dialects and has become the standard past tense especially in speech in some parts of Canada. In the United States dived and dove are both widespread in speech as past tense and past participle, with dove less common than dived in the south Midland area, and dived less common than dove in the Northern and north Midland areas. In writing, the past tense dived is usual in British English and somewhat more common in American English. Dove seems relatively rare as a past participle in writing.

And being that I live in the north I'll stick with dove.

LRDWILDER
07-14-2008, 15:36
I use "dove" I think dived sounds silly, just me, regardless of if correct, then again, I was never very gud at speling

digitalman
07-14-2008, 16:15
I use a combination of the two. Not sure which is correct, and to be honest, not sure anyone I'm talking to would be able to tell the difference. The general point of the conversation is that I went into the water and looked at some stuff at or nearer the bottom than the surface (usually).

cajunfla
07-14-2008, 16:27
"Hey Bubba, whut'd you do when ya got to da pond?"
"Whut'd ya think I did, I dived in."

I think I will go with dove.

digitalman
07-14-2008, 16:30
"Hey Bubba, whut'd you do when ya got to da pond?"
"Whut'd ya think I did, I dived in."

I think I will go with dove.

I think I know the same Bubba.

texdiveguy
07-14-2008, 16:35
Dove sounds better.

SlvrDragon50
07-15-2008, 00:18
We should take a poll...

Then argue that the members of ST Forum declare _____ is the correct past tense of dive.

stekun
07-15-2008, 23:56
Hmmm.... I say "dove" but my British brother-in-law says "dived"... But then again, I've never really trusted his English much. Every time I talk about a pair of "pants" or a "fanny pack" around him he chuckles...!

Charles R
07-15-2008, 23:59
Tomato Tamata What ever both are as good as peacan pie!

cajunfla
07-16-2008, 00:39
Tomato Tamata What ever both are as good as peacan pie!

Dang, and all this time I thought it was a peecan pie! Thats another one of those words that seperates the South from the rest of the country, thank goodness.

Pecan = pe-cahn for those of us that grew up with the pe-cahn trees in the yard.
Pecan = pee-can everyone else

LOL

mitsuguy
07-17-2008, 09:53
I use dove (with the o as in "oh") but honestly I try to avoid either, and typically arrange my sentences to avoid either... instead of "I dove this past weekend" or "I dived this past weekend" I use "I went diving this past weekend"

sravin1
07-18-2008, 19:12
My British instructor uses dived, but the rest of the class and everybody else use dove.

dictionary.com says that dived is historically more commonly used in edited writing. I guess dove just creeped in later

oddbod
07-20-2008, 00:32
"Dove is an Americanism that probably developed by analogy with alternations like drive, drove and ride, rode. It is the more common form in speech in the northern United States and in Canada, and its use seems to be spreading."
Stop buggering up the English Language.:smiliez.de_2125:

" The past participle of dive is always dived."

Quotes from dictionary.com

rongoodman
07-20-2008, 07:58
I used "dove" on Yorkshire Divers a few weeks back and got ribbed about it(someone posted a picture of a small pigeon in the next response after mine.)

Sasha_K
07-20-2008, 08:28
I learned someting new today then :-)

oddbod
07-21-2008, 06:43
I used "dove" on Yorkshire Divers a few weeks back and got ribbed about it(someone posted a picture of a small pigeon in the next response after mine.)
It's not a pigeon it is a Dove, a universal sign of peace, that is why I dived last week.

somename
10-14-2008, 09:41
FYI although dived and dove are ok in the simple past, the present perfect participle is HAVE DIVED, not HAVE DOVE.

Here is why: English, like other germanic languages, has past participles ending in -n and -ed (compare to German -en and -t). For example, have begun, have run, have done. Exceptions like "have come" (last sound is 'm') came about due to loss of the -en suffix (compare to German "habe gekommen" which still has it).

To have a past participle formed through vowel alternation and ending in -ve is very odd (have dove). It may catch on in time.

Supposedly, people say "have dove" by analogy to "drove". However, the correct form there, too, is "have DRIVED".