PDA

View Full Version : Hey

bates28
04-26-2008, 06:38
WHo has been on a cruise are they nice?

texdiveguy
04-26-2008, 07:03

My wife and I took a 5 night Carb. cruise several year ago...it was fun....I did a day of diving at one stop while she did a beach party thingy.

jwdizney
04-26-2008, 07:19
We love em!.. wife is a certified cruise counselor so we're always being tempted by "deals"! it's like an all-inclusive resort at sea! and with the economy being the way it is, good value for vacation planning.. only problem is you're somewhere different every day, but if you like a port you visit, you can always come back and take a land vacation!... we're cruising again at end of may... (disney, of course...).....:smiley36:

Zenagirl
04-26-2008, 08:07
We've done a bunch of cruises in the past, but after we got dive certified, we found that cruising and diving didn't mesh well for us. We then tried a liveaboard and found that was the perfect type of "cruise" for us to dive and still relax a lot.

Definitely still love cruises and would go in a heartbeat, but our vacation dollars are now spent on dive vacations instead.

Beaucoupfishies
04-26-2008, 10:46
We're looking in to doing a day cruise later this year. You basically cruise for the day, stop at an island where you can spend the night for a little extra, and then cruise back. With a one night stay it only ends up being around $120 and you still get all the meals included.

Course, it's only worth it when you live close enough to the port to drive. I've heard no end of good things from friends that have gone aboard a few of the different normal cruise lines though.

skippy11
04-27-2008, 23:56
I love cruises! However, my vacations now tend to be planned around diving, so recently we have not been on a cruise.

Depending on who is traveling w/ you, would depend on which company to look into. Meaning...some are geared towards familys, singles, couples, etc. We have traveled w/ Carnival...no complaints...In fact, it was a blast!

CFDAlden
04-28-2008, 00:13
Wife and I did a 7 day Eastern Caribbean that was fantastic. :)

John Yaskowich
04-28-2008, 09:31
We have been on 2 so far (Celebrity Millenium in 05, Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas in 06) with a 3rd booked for Feb 09 (Celebrity Solstice). Love the relaxation and sun. You have to go in knowing that youare only going to see a little bit of a number of places. As a previous post said if you like someplace you can always go back for a land vacation later. I have dives booked in a couple of the ports in 09.

Check out Cruise Critic - Cruises, Cruise Ship Reviews, Ratings, Cruise Deals, Cruise Forums (http://www.cruisecritic.com) for news, reviews, boards (including a Scuba board) etc. We have booked a couple of cruises through Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation (http://www.vacationstogo.com) and have been happy.

Penguino
04-28-2008, 09:58
Cruises are fantastic if you are wanting to see a lot of different places in a short amount of time and aren't too concerned about diving (you may only get the chance to go once on a 5 day cruise). As far as entertainment, it can't be beat. Food is great, staff always friendly. If you are looking to get away then go for it!

fire diver
04-28-2008, 14:43
Cruises are awesome! My wife almost had to drag me onto the first one, but I'm hooked. Nothing but relaxation. The food is awesome. The cabin stewards and waiters learn who you are by sight almost the first day. They are always friendly and helpfull. You trully feel like they are there just for YOU. PLus you get to visit beautiful places like Coz, the Caymans, Belize, Roatan, Honduras, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, etc. You just have to find the ship that has the itenerary you want.

We are deffinately taking another cruise as soon as I get home next year.

ratown
04-28-2008, 14:51
I have been on about five cruises. The best one went to Jamaica and Grand Turk. I also went to Roatan before and that was awesome. However, I would much rather fly to these places and spend extended amounts of time. Definitely give it a try. The five days seem to be a good medium. The seven days kind of drag on but if you hate your life then that might be the way to go. I have been on both.

fisherdog
04-28-2008, 15:16
Been on a couple and liked em all- Where are you planning to cruise out of and what types of activities do you likes (well... Besides diving?) Also, how long of a cruise?

We are taking one in September from Miami to the Bahamas- Not a bad deal ($250 pp) leaves on Friday comes back on Monday- We chose this one because it lets us stay in Nassau for 24hrs, leaving us plenty of shore time to get in some dives or snorkling, instead of just running around buying crap!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any question

fire diver
04-28-2008, 16:59
For some reason, Florida seems to always have cheaper deals on the cruises that leave from there. Saldy, the cost of getting to Florida from Oklahoma would offset the savings, so we always embark at Galveston.

We have been on several different lines, and liked them all the same. I didn't really notice any differences.

longtailbda
06-07-2008, 15:06
With all the traveling I've done, never been on a cruise. I'd still assume go to a particular island and enjoy it, but with the cost of flying it seems to get more and more appealing.

Vercingetorix
06-09-2008, 19:39
I'm a travel agent and diver. I've been on about a dozen. There's something for everyone aboard the boat. If you do the Western Caribbean, you dive Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. Eastern Caribbean means you dive the Virgin Islands. Southern Caribbean has its own stops.

Cruises are great because the non-diving spouse can go ashore to do her/his thing while you're 60 deep.

Empacher
06-09-2008, 19:40
I've been on one and felt rushed during my dives... Had to be back on the boat at a certain time or you were swimming home

scubasamurai
06-09-2008, 21:56
i always like the disney cruises, great service and never had a problem, but their boats are small 1500 people only, but that will change they are coming out with 2 new ships 3500 people on each.
if your really want a cruise do the aggressor, can't wait to go back

crgjpg
06-11-2008, 18:05
Our neighbors go on cruises regularly. They want us to go with them. My hesitation is that from what I have seen you have to pay extra for diving on cruises. What I have seen is that we can go to an all inclusive for the same price or less and get the diving free.

Skinsfan1311
06-13-2008, 11:05
Our neighbors go on cruises regularly. They want us to go with them. My hesitation is that from what I have seen you have to pay extra for diving on cruises. What I have seen is that we can go to an all inclusive for the same price or less and get the diving free.

We've done both cruises, (5 of them), and all-inclusives, (3 of them). With the exception of the Sandals resort in St. Lucia, the diving at the all-inclusives seems somewhat restrictive. They hold your hand and don't let you dive your computers.

You can get some great diving in on cruises too. I've done dives on a couple of cruises, through operators that I booked myself, and have never felt rushed.

bassplayer
06-13-2008, 12:28
Did our first cruise with Disney in February. The three of us were all adults no children...it was great...the adult only areas were practically ours alone, because almost everyone on the cruise had children.
The cruise gave me the desire to get back into scuba after snorkeling in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

rawalker
06-13-2008, 12:55
My wife and I love to cruise to an area and get a feel for in and then pick spots to spend more time on later vacations.
Also after taking a 15 day cruise we noticed the average age of passangers on the longer cruise goes up. This didn't stop us from having fun but we at mid 40's felt like the kids on the ship.
We now limit the length of our cruises to 12 days and prefer 10. It seems to put a greater variety of people on the ship without it being all very young or retirees.