PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tenkiller

Largo
04-26-2008, 16:14
I understand that Tenkiller is 20 feet higher than normal.

Does anyone have photos?

jwdizney
04-26-2008, 17:07
These pics are from last weekend at a cove just north of cookson bend. there's another lower road (underwater down near the boat docks in the pics..) water is like dark chocolate milk.....

Largo
04-26-2008, 18:12
How long do you think it will be before it is diveable again?

texdiveguy
04-26-2008, 18:25

When ever they dam up the creeks flowing chicken **** into the lake--serious!

jwdizney
04-26-2008, 18:28
they're releasing water, but limited. potential for flooding downstream too. i'm guessing late May before it gets any reasonable settle to it. (if we don't get another bunch of rain!). I haven't seen the scuba park, but I heard the water is up by the bathhouse. lot of floating debris too..:smiley19:

jwdizney
04-26-2008, 18:30

When ever they dam up the creeks flowing chicken **** into the lake--serious!

So true, Tex!... that's the consensus around the lake that the chicken **** is gradually causing the loss of vis!

fire diver
04-26-2008, 18:34
Just wait until the Zebra collonies take off! If may become like diving the great lakes in another decade.

Largo
04-26-2008, 18:36
Hopefully, the water hasn't hit the septic system for the cabins at the park there. Is the water as high as the rental cabins?

jwdizney
04-26-2008, 18:52
i haven't heard of any cabins being affected. we have a trailer in cookson bend, but it's well above lake level. most of the camping areas around the lake are flooded, though...

texdiveguy
04-26-2008, 18:54
Just wait until the Zebra collonies take off! If may become like diving the great lakes in another decade.

Oh boy more razor blades!

fire diver
04-26-2008, 20:04

Yep, we may get the beautiful, clear waters, but everything will be encrusted with those little slicing demons. Maybe the deep-water will remain free of them. I've heard that deeper wrecks in the Great Lakes don't have the zebra problems.

texdiveguy
04-26-2008, 20:42

Yep, we may get the beautiful, clear waters, but everything will be encrusted with those little slicing demons. Maybe the deep-water will remain free of them. I've heard that deeper wrecks in the Great Lakes don't have the zebra problems.

Not all portions of the Lakes have them....but most areas do....they will not host on copper!

Largo
05-02-2008, 21:09
Any change?

jwdizney
05-02-2008, 21:54
haven't heard anything since last weekend, we're not going down this weekend, but i'll see if I can get an update tomorrow from local DS..

mpd525
05-07-2008, 02:02
still 0 viz, hopefully the rain will stop so it will turn over again, and it should start clearing up in the next couple of weeks, depending on the rain that is.

Largo
05-07-2008, 19:34
Does anyone know where the submerged town is located in Tenkiller?

What is the depth?

DOWNDEEP73
05-07-2008, 21:07
Does anyone know where the submerged town is located in Tenkiller?

What is the depth?
Old Cookson @ 40'

Largo
05-08-2008, 10:22
Thanks!

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 10:29
Thanks!
Not a problem! :smiley20:

wolfen42
05-08-2008, 11:08
When it's not flooded, what's the diving like at this lake? (Yes, I admit I have a dream of touring the continent diving at all the local interesting locations in the U.S. :) )

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 11:21
When it's not flooded, what's the diving like at this lake? (Yes, I admit I have a dream of touring the continent diving at all the local interesting locations in the U.S. :) )
I could tell you, but that would take to long......Here check out this link!
Lake Tenkiller OK page (http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations/LakeTenkillerOK.html)

wolfen42
05-08-2008, 11:35
Lake Tenkiller OK page (http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations/LakeTenkillerOK.html)

Ok... that is seriously cool... A drowned town too! Yup... definitely going on the list :)

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 11:40

Ok... that is seriously cool... A drowned town too! Yup... definitely going on the list :)
Here is the site for Diving USA that I got that link from. It is very useful to me when I travel......Lets me know some of the dive sites that are in the area that I'll traveling too.
Diving USA (http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html)

wolfen42
05-08-2008, 11:49
Here is the site for Diving USA that I got that link from. It is very useful to me when I travel......Lets me know some of the dive sites that are in the area that I'll traveling too.
Diving USA (http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html)

Thanks again, I've got to get that added to my diving bookmarks :)

(Begins plans to become a diving nomad... Now where can I get a yurt?)

fire diver
05-08-2008, 15:01

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

They seriously need to update that info. I would for anyone to show me where the native american pottery and jewelry are at the bottom of the lake? Then again, they used to call Tenkiller "the Caribbean of Oklahoma". The lake hasn't been that nice since..... ever. It USED to have 40-50 foot vis though. Hasn't been that nice since the 70's though.

Don't get me wrong. I got certified in Tenkiller. I love diving in Tenkiller. It's just not all that the promo's make it out to be.

DOWNDEEP73
05-08-2008, 15:07

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

They seriously need to update that info. I would for anyone to show me where the native american pottery and jewelry are at the bottom of the lake? Then again, they used to call Tenkiller "the Caribbean of Oklahoma". The lake hasn't been that nice since..... ever. It USED to have 40-50 foot vis though. Hasn't been that nice since the 70's though.

Don't get me wrong. I got certified in Tenkiller. I love diving in Tenkiller. It's just not all that the promo's make it out to be.
I agree....maybe it was wrote up in the late 70's or early 80's....But I've only seen 20'+ vis a couple of times in the last 5 years. I can't even imagine it with 40'-50' vis.

mpd525
05-08-2008, 19:23
old cookson is not really a town, it's an old house with a fire pit, and chimnet and stuff like that. The mob house is a really good dive, and there are a few others, but i'm not gonna give those spots out yet, not done diggin for stuff. Tim (nautical adventures owner) found an old wagon in one of the creeks last year with his side scan but i can't remember where it is. The islands are really good dives. If you want to get away from the crowded scuba park, and crappie point, it you go across the cove from the park where the swimming area is, there is a great wall dive, that usually has better viz, bigger fish, and it's alot of fun. And since it's right next to the swimming area, you never know what you will find. In my case a pair of oakley's.

Largo
05-08-2008, 20:57
What kind of Oakleys?

I lost mine (in Florida, probably not the same pair).

I don't want to pay full price for a new set.

EuphoriaII
05-13-2008, 17:51
Those Okleys are probably mine. I can describe them:
The frames are silver...or gray or black...maybe brown. And the lenses are blue..or amber or smoke. And they have an 'o' on each temple.

Did I describe them exactly?

Largo
05-13-2008, 18:01
Has the water cleared up yet?

jwdizney
05-13-2008, 19:13
going down there this weekend (unfortunately, not diving...) i'll try and get an update. last I heard, lake level was still up about 9-10' and zero vis...

DOWNDEEP73
05-13-2008, 19:16
going down there this weekend (unfortunately, not diving...) i'll try and get an update. last I heard, lake level was still up about 9-10' and zero vis...
Let us know.....I found a really nice pond on 61st....if things are still bad!

Largo
05-13-2008, 22:15
Nope. Flatheads and Blues, only.

Wait, does that count?

DOWNDEEP73
05-13-2008, 22:17
Nope. Flatheads and Blues, only.

Wait, does that count?
Maybe!!

jwdizney
05-18-2008, 14:51
Well, just got back from weekend retreat down by Cookson. didn't do any diving, but lake is looking better. looks about 5-7' above normal, and it's losing that brown, chocolate milk color. it's actually greenish again in most areas, except around shallows where it's still above normal and a lot of sediment. vis don't look too good on north end of lake, I didn't get to south end around dam though. Tim at Nautical Adventures is reporting 0-2' vis on his site:
Nautical Adventures SCUBA Diving Services and Supplies (http://divetenkiller.com/lakecond.htm)

hopefully it gets better soon!

DOWNDEEP73
05-18-2008, 15:04
Well, just got back from weekend retreat down by Cookson. didn't do any diving, but lake is looking better. looks about 5-7' above normal, and it's losing that brown, chocolate milk color. it's actually greenish again in most areas, except around shallows where it's still above normal and a lot of sediment. vis don't look too good on north end of lake, I didn't get to south end around dam though. Tim at Nautical Adventures is reporting 0-2' vis on his site:
Nautical Adventures SCUBA Diving Services and Supplies (http://divetenkiller.com/lakecond.htm)

Thanks for the report!
Sure wish it would hurry up and clear up!

fire diver
05-18-2008, 20:00

Thanks for the report!

I'm thinking this might not have been such a bad year for a deployment

DOWNDEEP73
05-18-2008, 20:34

Thanks for the report!

I'm thinking this might not have been such a bad year for a deployment
Agreed!
I'm thinking that if a person got deployed now......the water might just be clear enough to dive when they got back!

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 15:11
Any word on how the viz is?

Largo
05-30-2008, 20:10
How about now? 30 May

RoadRacer1978
07-22-2008, 17:38
Last dive wasn't all that bad. Water temps were good. 75 deg at 57'. Vis wasn't good at all from surface to 20'. It was about 3'. Once I got down near 30' the vis got alot better as was around 8'. Water lvl was higher than last year when I was there, but I dive there so little I really don't have much of a reference.

jwdizney
08-04-2008, 10:24
anyone know if the conditions have improved? (8-4)

DOWNDEEP73
08-04-2008, 14:16
anyone know if the conditions have improved? (8-4)
Sat 8/2/08
0'-40' deep had 6'-8' viz
40' and below had 15'+ viz

Soonerwink
08-04-2008, 21:15
That sounds like pretty good conditions for Tenkiller. We are going there on Thursday. Not too many boats,divers, or swimmers there in the middle of the week.