PDA

View Full Version : ScubaToys Blackbeards Trip

ScubaSteve
08-03-2007, 23:16
Anyone going on this trip chime in! We're out of state so this is the closest thing to a pre-trip get together for us.

We are -

Steve and Michelle. Former Dallasites and ScubaToys alumni. 5th Blackbeards trip for us. First since they relocated to Freeport.

Lookin forward to it! :banana:

woody
08-04-2007, 13:34
3 Spots left!

Zenagirl
08-04-2007, 19:33
Sounds like its going to be a great time. Too bad we can't join you.

namabiru
08-06-2007, 16:24
Not to hijack, but I've got a quick question as I'm thinking about joining the trip :)

$899 doesn't include gratuity, port tax, underwater park tax, etc. However, I'm wondering. Can someone perhaps give me a total price on what it would cost to go on this, after gratuity, etc.? Is $1100 a good guestimate? I'm not trying to be a piker, mind you. Is $1100 a high-end estimate? More like $1050?

mike_s
08-06-2007, 16:33
Not to hijack, but I've got a quick question as I'm thinking about joining the trip :)

$899 doesn't include gratuity, port tax, underwater park tax, etc. However, I'm wondering. Can someone perhaps give me a total price on what it would cost to go on this, after gratuity, etc.? Is $1100 a good guestimate? I'm not trying to be a piker, mind you. Is $1100 a high-end estimate? More like $1050?

have you checked the FAQ on Blackbeards website?

http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/scuba-diving-quest.htm

How much spending money do I need? Spending money for an evening ashore (drinks, souvenirs) and crew tips (15% recommended). You might note some of the smaller Bahama Out Islands do not accept major credit cards. The currency of the Bahamas is the Bahamian Dollar which is on par with the US dollar and is used inter-changeably. There is a 40.00 port tax, $25 fuel surcharge and a 10.00 Bahamas Underwater National Park fee that must be paid at the time of final payment.

Are Crew tips required? The crew relies predominantly on gratuities for income. 15% of trip value is customary in the Caribbean live aboard dive industry. This can be given to the captain at the end of the week.

namabiru
08-06-2007, 21:38
Yeah, I did check it out. I had checked out the site much earlier, forgotten that information, posted my last post here, and then rechecked the site and realized that if I could add ('could' being the proper word in this case) I could probably figure out what I needed for money.

I thought I was about right on my guestimate, but couldn't think of how I got the amounts in my head.

thesmoothdome
08-06-2007, 21:42
Yeah, I did check it out. I had checked out the site much earlier, forgotten that information, posted my last post here, and then rechecked the site and realized that if I could add ('could' being the proper word in this case) I could probably figure out what I needed for money.

I thought I was about right on my guestimate, but couldn't think of how I got the amounts in my head.

Hehe....math isn't my strong suit either :). I always end up overtipping my dive masters. Somehow, I don't think they mind though.

namabiru
08-07-2007, 21:15
I did it! I did it I did it I did it!!!

I just booked one of the last 3 remaining spots for the Blackbeards trip. :smiley20:

I decided, why not treat myself after finishing my grad. school, especially as my job will start in September or October.

So who am I?

I'm Jessica (Jess), Big Sky Country native, citizen of the world, beer appreciation club member, currently residing in the Big Sky Country, and getting ready to relocate to Qatar.

This is my first ever liveaboard, and I must confess my excitement. As you probably gathered.

I hope to enjoy myself immensely, and look forward to getting to know all of you as well :)

As we'd say in Japanese, yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

ScubaSteve
08-08-2007, 22:25
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy. We've been on several Blackbeards... all were memorable.

namabiru
08-09-2007, 11:03
Hehe....math isn't my strong suit either :). I always end up overtipping my dive masters. Somehow, I don't think they mind though.

Ha ha... yeah. I'm sure they chase you down the street to give the extra money back.

I probably tend to overtip too.

I feel, though, that service should be paid what it's worth. If you get good service, and the person cares about doing a good job and working hard, then reward that. The expression I've picked up from my dad there is "piker". So I'm not a piker. There are others, of course, but if I expend myself here I'll have nothing to shock people with on the boat. :smiley36:

(Shock not as in 'impress', but shock as in 'it's amazing what people think these days...')

Allan2591
08-09-2007, 11:37
Hey everyone, this is Allan. I am new to the site and wanted to say hi and let everyone know I am on the Blackbeard trip. I will arrive in Freeport at 11:30 AM on Thursday the 30th and staying at the Port Lucaya Resort and Yacht Club. Been diving since 1988 but this will be the first Blackbeard for me. Since my birthday will be on that Thursday the 6th, don’t be surprised if the Party Parrott shows up. :smiley20: Tom tells me this is one hell of a trip to take so let’s make it one. I will check with Tom to see how many Dallas people are going. I was thinking about having a Pre-Trip Party at my slip at Pier 121 before we go so we can get to know each other. Anyone from Dallas, please drop me a line.

namabiru
08-10-2007, 11:40
Wow... I've been talking to Allan via e-mail, and I *knew* he had class. After reading, though, that he possesses a magic party parrot, I'm definitely going to be living high on the hog that week.

Allan2591
08-13-2007, 11:05
Hey again, I spoke with Tom Ford this morning. I understand a number of the trip-sters are here in the Dallas area. He is going to see about establishing a time for all of us to get together and meet before we leave. Always good to meet and make new friends and share stories. :smiley20: Maybe we need to have a contest and vote on the best Diving story. Anyone that has been diving for a while has one. There is only one rule. Tom Ford can’t play. He would be a sure thing to be the winner. He taught Lloyd Bridges how to dive for the Sea Hunt TV Series. (Ok ok, I am sure there are divers here not old enough to know about Sea Hunt) Anyway, anyone that has been diving so long they have “No in between the Toes” is my kind of diver! Has anyone seen the picture of Tom holding up the giant lobster tacked on the wall at the “Hole in the Wall” Bar & Grill? Is that lobster is smiling????:smilie39:

(I hope everyone knows Tom is a very good friend of mine . . . and the best diver on the planet. Forget about Allstate, you are in good hands when Tom is around.) :smiley32:

BTW, Namabiru must be a hell of a gal. Anyone that dresses in black and totes a sword can’t be all bad . . . hmmmm maybe bad may not be a bad thing after all. Gal, we need to talk more. Freeport may not be standing by the time everyone else gets there. :smiley2:

The Party Parrott

P.S. I’m an old fart. This technology is new to me. (My Jimmy Buffett music is still on cassette) Can I say this stuff on line? :smiley16:

namabiru
08-13-2007, 13:04
He he, just the other day I was listening to Jimmy Buffett to get into trip mode. I'm sure you're shocked, a 26-year-old listening to JB, but I love it! Good times, good times.

Can't do the Kill Bill thing, and bring my iaito with me on the trip. The airline people would flip. Look how vexed they get over bottled water which wasn't purchased at the $2.50 per shop...

Allan2591
08-17-2007, 15:54
I talked to Tom Ford last night. There will be a party at the Scuba Toys shop Thursday night 8/23 around 6 PM. :smiley32: I look forward to meeting everyone. See you there.:smiley20:

namabiru
08-17-2007, 17:21
Aha, the party parrot is back!

For further reference, I am quite sure there will be a small party on 8/30 in Freeport. I will be there, and Party Parrot is also turning up. Dunno who else at this point. If you're arriving in Freeport before 9/1, or know someone who is, give a shout here. Party Parrot and I are both at Port Lucaya.

ETA--Sorry, guess the Party Parrot thing stuck with me. Of course I mean Allan. After seeing his avatar, though, I just can't help but refer to him as the Party Parrot. Hey, he used it first! :)

namabiru
08-19-2007, 13:27
Perhaps this is an irrelevant question, but how will the hurricane currently taking place in the Caribbean affect our diving? I know the hurricane is passing further south than the Bahamas, but it will surely stir up life. Will conditions be settled a bit by the time we set sail? Sorry, not so familiar with the effects of hurricanes on diving, so that's how I've come to ask.

ScubaSteve
08-19-2007, 20:22
Don't expect any effect on the diving.

We're getting in to Freeport on the 31st. Staying in Port Lucaya, too. If some folks are interested in getting together that evening for dinner... etc, we're up for it.

Allan2591
08-20-2007, 10:20
Hey, any where there is a party it is a BIG PARTY when we get there!!! After all, we are . . . . us:smiley37:

See everyone in Dallas at Scuba Toys on Thursday. :smiley20:

namabiru
08-20-2007, 10:20
Sounds good. I'll PM you, ScubaSteve.

Ted S
08-20-2007, 14:56
Warm water and no surface swim, sure sounds nice. Enjoy the trip and be sure to share some photos with those of us who won't be making it!

namabiru
08-22-2007, 17:32
Ah, too bad! Well, maybe next trip, hey? Or perhaps get up a DiveMatrix trip somewhere. There's some lovely folks over there, and a lot of people who would be fun to dive with.

namabiru
08-22-2007, 17:49
Here's an entirely unrelated thing that just dawned on me.

I plan to carry my reg. on the plane, among other things. I'm one of those folk who have a dive knife integrated into the back of the SPG (Aeris Atmos SPG, if you're keeping track at home).

If you are also one of these folk who has an integrated dive knife, or a dive knife which lives in/on your BCD, remember to
remove the knife from your console or BCD and put it in your checked luggage so You-Know-Who don't freak out, and you end up missing the cruise and feeling like a rube.

I'm serious. I was sitting here, thinking about life or whatnot, and for whatever reason, this quite simply dawned on me. So I promptly got up, removed the knife from my console, wrote a post-it note and put it with the knife, and also put a post-it note on my ticket (in case the post-it note ferry comes and steals the first during the night).

So thought I'd remind others, even though I know everyone else is better with the program than I am.

Allan2591
08-23-2007, 09:40
Great point namabiru on the dive knife!

Hey everyone, I plan on going to the the party tonight. I will let everyone know about this thread so we can communicate next week before we leave. I should have some pics to email tomorrow so we can get to know everyone.

This should be a great trip. More here tomorrow.
Allan

namabiru
08-23-2007, 10:53
Yep, we're all already getting excited.

Plus we have one more thing to celebrate--I called Doha last night to ask a completely un-related question, and got some good news. My stuff is processed, so I can go to Qatar now. I will leave on September the 18th. So I'll have about 10 days to wrap things up when I get back to the Big Sky Country.

Allan2591
08-24-2007, 10:43
Well the Blackbeard meeting was more formal and orientational than a get acquainted session. Tom went over the dos & don'ts which he will cover again with everyone when we get there. The good news is the cells phones work in Freeport. The bad news is it costs $6 a minute. (Tom says there is an internet cafe in Port Lucaya that is reasonable for communicating before we leave.)

In light of the cell phone expense maybe those that will be arriving early may need to make some prelim plans to meet at a designated place and time if we want to get together before we launch.

Any thoughts?

porsche060
08-24-2007, 16:08
Def please share photos!

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 16:13
really wish i could go sounds like an awsome time

namabiru
08-24-2007, 16:35
I agree, Mr. Allan. Let's see, I have your e-mail, and ScubaSteve's too. Just a sec--let me move over to GMail and shoot off a e-mail to you both.

If there is anyone else who is arriving early, please PM me with your e-mail address, and I will add you to the e-mail communication.

CaribbeanDiver
08-25-2007, 19:46
more like $1200-1300. Taxes and whatnot make that 899 around 1050 or so and then you should tip the crew at least $100 and really more like 150 or 200. The crew has been great on every trip I have made and they go out of their way to make your diving great, your experience pleasureable and help you get as comfortable as possible.
Plus, you will need some money for port night. Not a lot but a few bucks for a beer or two. If you are a heavy partier, then that amount goes up. You can get beer on Bimini from $3.50 to $5.00 depending on what joint you buy it from.

CaribbeanDiver
08-25-2007, 19:53
The square in Port Lucaya has a free show every Friday night. Starts around 8 or 8:30. There are several little bars there that y'all could meet at. Rum Runners is one. Shenanagans is another but the beer prices at Shananagans is rather high. Rum Runners and most other places have corona, heineken, kalik, and a couple others for 2 for $5 and rum shots for a buck.
The show has dancers, singers, lip singing performances, limbo and some native kettle playing.
Cell Phones work on Bimini too but the cost is outrageous there too. I wasnt aware of the $6 a min but I knew it was high. Gotta be seriously in love to spend that for a few minutes cell time.

Well the Blackbeard meeting was more formal and orientational than a get acquainted session. Tom went over the dos & don'ts which he will cover again with everyone when we get there. The good news is the cells phones work in Freeport. The bad news is it costs $6 a minute. (Tom says there is an internet cafe in Port Lucaya that is reasonable for communicating before we leave.)

In light of the cell phone expense maybe those that will be arriving early may need to make some prelim plans to meet at a designated place and time if we want to get together before we launch.

Any thoughts?

Allan2591
08-26-2007, 14:12
Hey CD,

I am all over those Rum Shots. I assume it being the Caribbean, Tequila Body Shots are in order as well! :smiley29:

namabiru
08-28-2007, 22:03
Yay, I am leaving tomorrow for the trip. In the words of my friend Marui Chan, I am exciting!!!

See you all there!

namabiru
08-29-2007, 10:59
Okey dokey, it's rather official.

Anyone arriving on 8/31 to Freeport, there is a social opportunity if you'd like to attend. Rum Runners at 6 pm. Rum Runners is in the Port Lucaya marketplace. Where exactly, no clue. Just ask someone. We don't have to stay at Rum Runners if it's tacky or wall-to-wall with people. But we're at least congregating there.

You can see a better photo of me on http://namabiru.********.com

I believe I will be wearing either a blue aloha shirt or a yellow polo top. Haven't decided which yet.

Speaking of which, do you all know why women's minds are so clean?

No?

Give up?

Because we change them all the time.

No? Not even a titter?

CaribbeanDiver
08-29-2007, 11:44
if you find the square, you cant possibly miss Rum Runners. I was all for the body shots but as I kept asking the cute ones, all I got was head shots by a quick open hand. I never understood why.