PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitors

WaterRat
08-04-2007, 00:42
Looking to pick one up. Is Polar the best bet?

Ron

Rockhound76
08-09-2007, 12:28
Polar is very good. Go with one that has anti-crosstalk coding if you plan to workout near others with HRM's or ride a bike with a wireless computer.

Also look for waterproof models.

I have a cheap A5 (non coded). It works well enough for spin classes and swimming.

Fox
08-10-2007, 07:34
As with all purchases try to buy one that will meet your future needs as well as today's, I've got the base model Polar and it's very good but I should have got one that does lap times, now I've had to buy a lap time watch as well.

I've learnt my lesson and will be buying a nitrox computer even though for the time being I'm only qualified to dive standard air.

creggur
08-10-2007, 08:35
:smiley36:Have used a polar for 5 years now with no problems....Solid unit, but they start doing goofy things when the battery gets low, guess that's how you know when it's time to change it..

bperrybap
08-10-2007, 13:53
Polar is very good. Go with one that has anti-crosstalk coding if you plan to workout near others with HRM's or ride a bike with a wireless computer.

Also look for waterproof models.

I have a cheap A5 (non coded). It works well enough for spin classes and swimming.

I haven't looked at the newer Polars but the older
ones didn't have replaceable batteries in the chest
strap. This is the main thing I didn't like about the
Polars.
This is a deal killer for me. I had a polar years ago
and when the chest strap died, I bought a different
brand and made sure that the chest strap had a
replaceable battery.
(New batteries are cheap, new chest straps are not)

I also am not a fan of the digital coding or anti cross
talk models. not because I don't like the feature, but
because I use mine pretty much exclusively in the gym
and the equipment in the gyms like treadmills,
elliptical, bicycles, cardio equipment etc.. have heart
rate capabilities that will work with heart rate monitors
but not the coded/digital ones.
So if you want the convenience of integrating your
heart rate using a wireless chest strap into the cardio
machine, get a non coded version.
My wife and I go to the gym and use treadmills that
are so close together that they are touching and we
have no crosstalk issues.
The only time we see crosstalk is if we stand close
together. This might be an issue if you run/jog outside
with a partner, but in the gym it doesn't seem to
be an issue.

I like the cardiosport models. Inexpensive and the
chest straps have replaceable batteries.

--- bill

gsdive
08-10-2007, 20:24
I have used a heart rate monitor for years. As a matter of fact I have worn out two. My latest one is the polar S725X which links to my PDA and computer to transmit my workout data to my Vida one fitness software. Best investment to maximise your fitness program I have ever done.

techgnostic
08-10-2007, 21:04
Polar's are rock solid...having said that, my partner's died today (I bought if for her 6 years ago).

comet24
08-15-2007, 18:59
I use a Polar one. Not sure the model but never had a problem.

CompuDude
08-15-2007, 19:14
Or wait until the Galileo Sol is released in the US (UK only at the moment, supposed to come over later this year) and you'll have a Polar heart rate monitor your dive computer can read.

http://www.scubapro.co.uk/Default.asp?MIS=287

:icondrool:

uzzell20
08-15-2007, 19:21
never used apolar but i know there are others on the market that work very well, just kep looking, im sure youll find one to meet your needs

Rockhound76
08-15-2007, 20:43
That was a good point regarding the coding. It is one of the reasons I take my polar to the gym on "stairmonster" days. The stairmaster reads straight off my chest strap.

I've had my polar for about 3-4 years. The battery went out in the watch last year (receiver), but a local watch shop replaced it in an hour. (Polar says only they can do it, but I couldn't wait that long. Why worry?) The chest strap is still working fine. I forget what a new strap runs for, but i bet it's less than $20. Not much cost when annualized over a few years. Still, it would be nice to be able to change the batteries (for the same reason I wish my old Monitor I Deco computer had changeable batteries. I love the longevity (5yrs.) but when I find out I need it, its just before I REALLY need it. Because of that, I also dive with a backup capsule computer (Datamax) that has a battery I can replace. Still, I prefer the big numbers and conservative model on the Monitor I.

My Cateye dual cadence cycling computer and my HRM crosstalk when I'm riding, so I'm having to go to a coded unit for HR monitoring while riding.

I forgot about the coded transmitters being invisible to gym equipment. Thanks for the reminder.

Dash Riprock
08-16-2007, 21:38
Another great option if you are not going to be only in the gym and will be running or bicycling is the new heart rate monitors that include GPS.

they give great workout reports and can track alot of HR information over your courses

TAH 73
08-16-2007, 22:01
Another great option if you are not going to be only in the gym and will be running or bicycling is the new heart rate monitors that include GPS.

they give great workout reports and can track alot of HR information over your courses

My Suunto has that and it's also damn accurate as well.
I do sailing with Laser2's and Hobie 16's, and with the class it's not permitted for electronic's to be on the boat, but with my Suunto and the GPS pod.....
Suunto HRM's have user changeable batteries in the chest strp as well.

DivingCRNA
08-20-2007, 17:29
I have had the same polar HRM for 7 or 8 years. It is great. Still works with machines in the hotels.

I have thought of wearing it under my drysuit to track my HR during deep dives to check stress level.

meesier42
08-25-2007, 13:25
I have been using polars for years, they seem to work wonderfully, and they are compatible with most of the gym machines (the HR ones) that I have seen which is always kind of nice.

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 13:31
I was the head of sales for heart rate monitors for a company here in NY. The Nike are the most user friendly. When compared people would return polars often for the Nike product. Hand held GPS tends not to be reliable. it won't tell you that it lost signal but it will make up numbers to trick you. We were running one da and our pace dropped to 7 min. (lost satellite) then it found us and we were running 4:15 pace. We were running 6:30 miles the whole time. The nike elite is a lot of money but the best IMHO. I've used it for years and has amazing capabilities. Its an SDM and HRM

Flatliner
08-25-2007, 14:14
Looking to pick one up. Is Polar the best bet?

Ron

Nope, that title would go to the Philips MP90. I work for Philips and should be able to get you one, depending on options, in the 40k -50k range.

http://www.medical.philips.com/main/products/patient_monitoring/assets/images/OrlandoLaunch2006/MP90_photo5.jpg (http://www.medical.philips.com/main/products/patient_monitoring/assets/images/OrlandoLaunch2006/MP90_photo5.jpg)

Charles R
08-25-2007, 14:37
I have the Nike Triax C8 and have been using it for 3 years now and would not trade it for any of the Polar ones it works with the watch and with the machines in the Gym it has user changable bateries and is water proof. Also I can were the watch every day.:smiley20:

Mtrewyn
09-17-2007, 10:17
I have a Nike one also, never thought about using one while diving...intersting thought, IMHO water would not be the only issue with that, pressure would play a role too, are the polar ones that water proof that you can take them to the bottom with you? My Nike one I can swim with but I would not want to take it to the bottom of the pool, it's said to be "resistant" not "proof"

jo8243
09-17-2007, 17:15
I'd recommend one of the garmin GPS units that has a HRM. The Garmin wireless stuff seems to be less prone to interference than the polar. Plus you get the added benefit of GPS tracking of your route.

Kidder
09-17-2007, 18:29
I might sound like a complete rube here, but woul;d you get a heart rate monitor just to track stress? IS there any other reason? I never even thought of one before.

jo8243
09-17-2007, 18:44
I might sound like a complete rube here, but woul;d you get a heart rate monitor just to track stress? IS there any other reason? I never even thought of one before.

To monitor if your workout is doing you any good from a cardio point of view. It's very good info to have.

Mtrewyn
09-18-2007, 00:02
Cardio work is one of those things from what I gathered, that you can truly get too much of a good thing, you can work your self with a high hart rate for too long and you won't get as much benefit as if you work for less time at a lower rate, It has to do with aerobic VS. anaerobic respiration at the cell level of your body, I don't cleanly understand it, but since I have been working around 150-160 bpm, I have greatly improved my BP, dropped 75 points on my chol, and lost around 15lbs in about 12 weeks. Before I was working my rate around 170-180 bpm for 30-40 minutes on a bike three times a week and not making any progress.

It may not work for every one but it sure did for me.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 06:39
Cardio work is one of those things from what I gathered, that you can truly get too much of a good thing, you can work your self with a high hart rate for too long and you won't get as much benefit as if you work for less time at a lower rate, It has to do with aerobic VS. anaerobic respiration at the cell level of your body, I don't cleanly understand it, but since I have been working around 150-160 bpm, I have greatly improved my BP, dropped 75 points on my chol, and lost around 15lbs in about 12 weeks. Before I was working my rate around 170-180 bpm for 30-40 minutes on a bike three times a week and not making any progress.

It may not work for every one but it sure did for me.

I think the reason you didn't make progress was because you weren't excercising long enough. Fat doesn't really start burning until about 30 or so minutes into a workout. I don't think it had much to do with 20 bpm difference.