PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ikelite housing for the G9

MagnaBoxer
04-27-2008, 04:39
Anybody here using the Ike housing with the flat port for the wide angle conversion lens? From what I've read the flat port restricts the full range of zoom and if zoomed out too far the lens will make contact with the flat port resulting in a zoom error and restart of the camera.

I'm looking to upgrade to this set up in the future and it worried me that I might damage the camera, not if, but WHEN I cause the zoom to contact the flat port. Anybody heard of any camera failures do to this problem as I'm sure that this can't be too good on the camera?

DevilDiver
04-27-2008, 08:36
Apparently, due to the length of the stock port on the Ike housing you will need to change out the standard to a shorter port for effective use of the 67mm threaded W/A lens. Doing this will limit the camera's normal zoom range (120mm).
(Info from Ikelite descriptions)

I don't know about the error or restarting as I have never worked with the Ike housing but it would make sense.....

jugglematt
04-28-2008, 04:43
Hi
I dont use this camera but from what i have read from others posted on the net , no damage is caused by the cameras lense hitting the short port.

also are you aware that there are other housings made for the G9
-Sea&Sea
-Patma

Both of these housings are more compact but more expensive than the Ikelite housing , worth looking at before u Buy.

Regards
Matt

MagnaBoxer
04-28-2008, 22:05
Hi
I dont use this camera but from what i have read from others posted on the net , no damage is caused by the cameras lense hitting the short port.

also are you aware that there are other housings made for the G9
-Sea&Sea
-Patma

Both of these housings are more compact but more expensive than the Ikelite housing , worth looking at before u Buy.

Regards
Matt

I've actually been drooling over the S&S housing since I have the YS-110 strobe already. Very expensive however and I'd have a tough time making that leap unless I could find a really good deal. Seems most of the online retailers don't have it in stock.

Thanks for the info on the zoom issue. Would hate to have a problem with the camera over something like that.