PDA

View Full Version : Great Lake Diving

r1cook
04-27-2008, 10:11
Who's done it?:smiley20:

r1cook
04-27-2008, 10:13
My dad and I are planning to do some diving specifically in the north shore in lake Huron. Just wondering if any one has any tips or suggestions. anything about gear or locations.

texdiveguy
04-27-2008, 11:00
http://www.tobermoryscuba.com/

Lots of great diving done in Huron......tons of info. on the internet for charters and sites. Let us know how it goes....one of these years I would love to hit Tobermory myself!

r1cook
04-27-2008, 13:51
hey thanx 4 the site

r1cook
04-27-2008, 14:24
http://www.tobermoryscuba.com/

Lots of great diving done in Huron......tons of info. on the internet for charters and sites. Let us know how it goes....one of these years I would love to hit Tobermory myself!

You ever dive around manitoulin or the spanish river

BusDiver
07-14-2008, 20:21
I know this is an old thread but Tobermory is amazing diving. My buddy and I are going to head up on Saturday for a quick shore diving adventure. We will spend about 10 hours in the car for 10 hours of diving. Worth every second.

Sasha_K
07-15-2008, 17:37
Tobemory is very well known for ship wrecks. Ontario Underwaters Explorers club is going up there on Aug 2,3,4 - the cost is $70 per day.

I'm thinking of going, but may actualy go on a business trip then :-(

Sasha_K
07-15-2008, 17:38
O ya, and I did my first 4 OW dives in the great lakes too :-)

Please see my thread here for the list of clubs and stores

http://forum.scubatoys.com/canada/13981-toronto-gta-area-scuba-clubs-shops.html

mselizann
07-15-2008, 17:56
I shore dive Lake Erie a couple times a week

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
07-15-2008, 18:16
I dove last year and am again this year in Lake Michigan. Was surprisingly clear, 30-45' or so.

Huron is pretty cold all the time isn't it?

MSELIZANN:

How is Erie?

Webfeet
09-03-2008, 18:27
are you braggin or complaining?

Penetang - Georgian Bay - Huron - unbelievable. Big vis, nice topside too. Now is the time for the best surface water temps. Cold at depth and lots of wrecks. Try a 2 day live aboard.

Lake Erie - great dives for all abilities, Try the Dean Richmond for a challenge. On a good day the Dean will come into view about halfway down the mooring line (tied to its screw) to it's 110 depth. It will lay out below you upside down showing its hull. Cold (again) and air goes fast moving around this wreck. Watch for the treble hooks. The Cribs are off of Lawrence Park - a good shore dive. depth at 20 - 30 feet. Park at the LP boat launch and swim out w/ your buddy, float and a big innertube. Lots of fishing poles, anchors... use the innertube to haul your finds back to shore. Pick a nice flat day and the swim will be no sweat. Stop at Ricardo's on East Lake Rd. and have some spags on the way home.

Have fun

texdiveguy
09-03-2008, 18:41
are you braggin or complaining?

Penetang - Georgian Bay - Huron - unbelievable. Big vis, nice topside too. Now is the time for the best surface water temps. Cold at depth and lots of wrecks. Try a 2 day live aboard.

Lake Erie - great dives for all abilities, Try the Dean Richmond for a challenge. On a good day the Dean will come into view about halfway down the mooring line (tied to its screw) to it's 110 depth. It will lay out below you upside down showing its hull. Cold (again) and air goes fast moving around this wreck. Watch for the treble hooks. The Cribs are off of Lawrence Park - a good shore dive. depth at 20 - 30 feet. Park at the LP boat launch and swim out w/ your buddy, float and a big innertube. Lots of fishing poles, anchors... use the innertube to haul your finds back to shore. Pick a nice flat day and the swim will be no sweat. Stop at Ricardo's on East Lake Rd. and have some spags on the way home.

Have fun

Are not the Indiana and SK Martin in that 'general' area of the Richmond if memory serves me correct ..... have you visited these sites??

scubadiver888
09-03-2008, 18:50
I just started diving at home, i.e. Lake Ontario. Did 7 dives over the long weekend. Beautiful weekend for diving. Was still 45F in some areas but shore diving was 71F Saturday night.

texdiveguy
09-03-2008, 20:02
I just started diving at home, i.e. Lake Ontario. Did 7 dives over the long weekend. Beautiful weekend for diving. Was still 45F in some areas but shore diving was 71F Saturday night.

That's not really bad temps at all for the north country!! I saw 48f in an Oklahoma lake just a few weeks back. Have fun.

Webfeet
09-04-2008, 12:29
if you are in 71 degree water in any one of the Great Lakes - its called SWIMMING - not diving. New divers are always lulled by surface temps. They are really irrelevent. Even in August at 30 ft you will be past a couple of thermoclines. Anything past that will always be bone chilling cold. I have tried to tell newbies to 'wear everything you have' and the ones that listen buy a dry suit the next week anyway. Thats how I came to dive dry.

To Texdiveguy: yes I have been on the Dean, the Martin and the Indiana (we call it the stone wreck) many times. The Dean is my favorite.

texdiveguy
09-04-2008, 13:42
To Texdiveguy: yes I have been on the Dean, the Martin and the Indiana (we call it the stone wreck) many times. The Dean is my favorite.

What in your opinion sets the Dean as your favorite of these local sites? Is it it's combo of deepish and turtled condition . :)

Webfeet
09-04-2008, 15:08
Yes, plus the visibility is usually excellent. I have seen it push 60 plus. Overall its a real challenge. I like that. It feels deeper than 110. It demands real planning and discipline to be done safely. Its a big wreck and I usually don't get around it in one dive (something for next time). It will come into view about halfway down on descent - an impressive site

I did my grad work at Gannon in the early 80's when Dave Frew and Dave Stone started writing about the eastern basin wrecks. I had Frew for many classes (he taught in the Bus. school) They regularlly held evening presentations with slide shows on the various wrecks. Loran coordinates (this was before GPS) were being circulated for years prior among serious divers - traded like currency. At the lectures we found that we had been on many already. I moved away in 1990 but still go back in the summer and dive often. No shortage of boats or wrecks in Erie. One summer we dove almost every weekend looking for a revolutuonary war wreck that went down 4 miles off of Presque Isle loaded with weapons. I thought if I could just find one sword...

lots of fun

texdiveguy
09-04-2008, 19:22
Yes, plus the visibility is usually excellent. I have seen it push 60 plus. Overall its a real challenge. I like that. It feels deeper than 110. It demands real planning and discipline to be done safely. Its a big wreck and I usually don't get around it in one dive (something for next time). It will come into view about halfway down on descent - an impressive site

I did my grad work at Gannon in the early 80's when Dave Frew and Dave Stone started writing about the eastern basin wrecks. I had Frew for many classes (he taught in the Bus. school) They regularlly held evening presentations with slide shows on the various wrecks. Loran coordinates (this was before GPS) were being circulated for years prior among serious divers - traded like currency. At the lectures we found that we had been on many already. I moved away in 1990 but still go back in the summer and dive often. No shortage of boats or wrecks in Erie. One summer we dove almost every weekend looking for a revolutuonary war wreck that went down 4 miles off of Presque Isle loaded with weapons. I thought if I could just find one sword...

lots of fun

Wreck diving and in particular those of The Lakes are some of the worlds finest. Keep up the diving and ENJOY!!!!

scubadiver888
09-06-2008, 19:16
if you are in 71 degree water in any one of the Great Lakes - its called SWIMMING - not diving. New divers are always lulled by surface temps. They are really irrelevent. Even in August at 30 ft you will be past a couple of thermoclines. Anything past that will always be bone chilling cold. I have tried to tell newbies to 'wear everything you have' and the ones that listen buy a dry suit the next week anyway. Thats how I came to dive dry.

Actually, my shore dive was 43' deep. We went in just down the shore from where the dive boat was anchored. The guy who owned the site had dredged the harbour so it dropped away fairly quickly.

I was just talking to some guys who dove the Arabia in Tobermory. Tobermory in general is really cold. The Arabia is at 106'. They said it was only 51F this past weekend. Tobermory is north of Lake Ontario and it was 45F at 100' in Lake Ontario.

Temperatures around my area seem to be totally out of whack lately.

Webfeet
09-07-2008, 15:17
Methinks they jest with thou.

It would be very atypical. When I dove Arabia (over a Labor Day weekend in the late 90's) it never got over 40 (at depth). I have also dove Penetang several times and ditto for the 100 footers there. Incidentaly, I am also an ice diver. You are in a great spot for great diving but it is serious stuff. Here a clip on the Arabia:

Inexperienced diver dies exploring 'Arabia' wreck