PDA

View Full Version : where's the damn remote?

Murloc
04-27-2008, 09:17
is it just too friggin hard for anybody to understand the concept of leaving the tv remote in one place? I have placed tv's in every friggin room in the house with cable so that you can watch whatever you want to watch, but when I come home I expect to watch MY damn tv and I need MY remote!

why must it take a bloodhound to track the location of the remote? will somebody answer me as to why it was left in the bathroom?...or the garage?...I even found it once in the damn fridge!...enough!

a few years back I had a magnavox tv that the remote had a page feature built in, kinda like your cordless telephone. press a button on the tv and the remote would chirp until you found it. best damn invention I've seen in a long time and as usual because it was a good idea I have never seen another like it since. why can't all tv's have this feature?...would make my day just a little less stressful.

Bigg_Budd
04-27-2008, 09:27
I feel your pain, amigo. However, I have two backup remotes. One age 6, the other age 4.

Murloc
04-27-2008, 09:32
ages 6 and 4?...yep, it shouldn't take long now. pretty soon your remotes will grow legs and start roaming the house.

CFDAlden
04-28-2008, 00:03
My 11 year old and 9 year old spare remotes put the regular remotes in very odd places. Found one jammed in the recliner mechanisim one time, gumming up everything! :)

mixahl
04-28-2008, 00:06
this is a funnny thread!

CompuDude
04-28-2008, 17:57
That remote pager function was awesome. I remember seeing that and wishing all TVs had it!

Sharper Image sells a little pager tag you can put on your remotes (or anything else, really), but it's just expensive enough that it's not worth it for me. Plus I don't want a little keychain dongle hanging off all my remotes.

Beaucoupfishies
04-28-2008, 18:04
The break room at one of my old jobs used to have a TV up in the corner for everyone to watch. Mostly it got left on sports stations because a few jock types would monopolize the remote during break periods.

Finally someone got sick of it, turned the tv to the Discovery channel, and put the remote in one of those rotating wheel (wheel of botulism) vending machines. Anyone who wanted it had to put $1.50 in to get it out again.

divingmedic
04-28-2008, 18:05
Just go to Best Buy and get one of those programmable remotes. Hide it so when you get home you can use it. I know my daughter has em scattered all over the living room. But I really need a programmable all in one. One remote for the TV, one for the A/V receiver, one for the DVD player, One for the PS3. And I finally found a Wii after trying for months!!

divingmedic
04-28-2008, 18:06
The break room at one of my old jobs used to have a TV up in the corner for everyone to watch. Mostly it got left on sports stations because a few jock types would monopolize the remote during break periods.

Finally someone got sick of it, turned the tv to the Discovery channel, and put the remote in one of those rotating wheel (wheel of botulism) vending machines. Anyone who wanted it had to put $1.50 in to get it out again.
Now that is funny.

mm2002
04-29-2008, 08:25
Man, I feel your pain. I have a 7 and 3 yr old, and I never know where the remote is. I've found that thing in places I wouldn't dream of. Funny, they never seem to know how it got there!

Dieseler
04-29-2008, 09:26
I highly recommend a programmable remote, especially one with user-defined macros. I hit one button and everything turns on ect ect.

That being said, never thought about how much I love having the remote on the coffee table whenever I reach for it!

mike_s
04-29-2008, 09:58
a few years back I had a magnavox tv that the remote had a page feature built in, kinda like your cordless telephone. press a button on the tv and the remote would chirp until you found it. best damn invention I've seen in a long time and as usual because it was a good idea I have never seen another like it since. why can't all tv's have this feature?...would make my day just a little less stressful.

I've thought the same thing. They can do this for my $15 cordless phone, but they can't put a 'page/find' button on my $500 TV? what gives?

Best fun I've ever had with the remote was when I lived in a condo complex that the den/living room was a the rear of the unit and the back wall was a bunch of glass partitions. 30 feet away behind us was the next row of units. You could see what EVERYONE was watching on their TV if they didn't pull the blinds across the row of windows. (or anything else they were doing...)

One night a friend comes over and goes "wow... you can see right into his condo and what he's watching on TV.

Well this was the time when all the cable companies made you use their "box" to get anything above channel 13. Of course it came with a remote also. So all the remotes were on the same frequency.

so when he said the above statement, I said... "watch this". I picked up the remote and held down the change channel button, flipping channels. The guy gets up and goes over slapping the box several times and I stop.

About the time he gets back to his seat, I do it again, but stop as he is about to slap the box again... he waits, hand in mid air, ready to slap the box again if it flips, then cautiously backs away to his seat... eyeing the box/tv to see if it does it again...

Lots of fun, but we didn't do it to him too much.... :smilie39:

DollFin
04-29-2008, 12:18
so when he said the above statement, I said... "watch this". I picked up the remote and held down the change channel button, flipping channels. The guy gets up and goes over slapping the box several times and I stop.

About the time he gets back to his seat, I do it again, but stop as he is about to slap the box again... he waits, hand in mid air, ready to slap the box again if it flips, then cautiously backs away to his seat... eyeing the box/tv to see if it does it again...

LOL, remember the scene from Poltergeist, where he and the neighbor both had the same TV and kept changing each other's channels?

mm2002
04-29-2008, 12:34

I've thought the same thing. They can do this for my $15 cordless phone, but they can't put a 'page/find' button on my $500 TV? what gives?

Best fun I've ever had with the remote was when I lived in a condo complex that the den/living room was a the rear of the unit and the back wall was a bunch of glass partitions. 30 feet away behind us was the next row of units. You could see what EVERYONE was watching on their TV if they didn't pull the blinds across the row of windows. (or anything else they were doing...)

One night a friend comes over and goes "wow... you can see right into his condo and what he's watching on TV.

Well this was the time when all the cable companies made you use their "box" to get anything above channel 13. Of course it came with a remote also. So all the remotes were on the same frequency.

Such cruelty! :smiley36:

ratown
04-29-2008, 13:00
is it just too friggin hard for anybody to understand the concept of leaving the tv remote in one place? I have placed tv's in every friggin room in the house with cable so that you can watch whatever you want to watch, but when I come home I expect to watch MY damn tv and I need MY remote!

why must it take a bloodhound to track the location of the remote? will somebody answer me as to why it was left in the bathroom?...or the garage?...I even found it once in the damn fridge!...enough!

I lose the remote like twice a day. It drives my family crazy so I blame it on my brother.

CompuDude
04-29-2008, 14:58
I highly recommend a programmable remote, especially one with user-defined macros. I hit one button and everything turns on ect ect.

That being said, never thought about how much I love having the remote on the coffee table whenever I reach for it!

It's all about the Logitech Harmony.

LOVE THAT REMOTE.

Geek tested, wife approved! (and parents, and in laws, and sister, and...)

Beaucoupfishies
04-29-2008, 17:03

Should've waited till Outer Limits was on!

CompuDude
04-29-2008, 18:22

Should've waited till Outer Limits was on!

Reminds me of the "torture" I used to put my cat through with a laser pointer.

All kinds of fun to play with, of course. That's common knowledge. The key was that I religiously ended the "play session" by running the light spot up under the sofa and turning it off. I had the cat convinced "it" lived under the sofa.

Countless times I would come downstairs to get a drink of water in the middle of the night, and see the cat, crouched in front of the sofa, waiting to pounce... :smiley36:

DollFin
04-29-2008, 18:54
[quote=Beaucoupfishies;165753][quote=mike_s;165481]

Countless times I would come downstairs to get a drink of water in the middle of the night, and see the cat, crouched in front of the sofa, waiting to pounce... :smiley36:

LMAO!!! I have 2 cats, one LOVES the laser pointer and will chase it all day, the other will be amused for a minute or 2 then he seems to figure it out. I can almost picture him saying "Hey, lady, that's just a stupid dot of light - you got something here a cat can really get ahold of??"

DiverMAN
04-29-2008, 18:57
maybe the Noid took it. Check under the couch, I hear Noids love to hide under couches...

Beaucoupfishies
04-29-2008, 21:28
Reminds me of the "torture" I used to put my cat through with a laser pointer.

All kinds of fun to play with, of course. That's common knowledge. The key was that I religiously ended the "play session" by running the light spot up under the sofa and turning it off. I had the cat convinced "it" lived under the sofa.

Awww.. I miss having cats around the house. When I lived with my parents, there were three cats to harass. I mean that in the nice way of course. :)

mike_s
04-29-2008, 22:09
Heh.... my cat thinks the red laser dot lives under the sofa, under the red chair, and behind the pillows.

The funny thing is that mine 'clicks' when you push the button on the laser. He knows that button noise and his ears perk up and he's on the hunt seeing where the red dot is in the room. He knows it's "out and on the run" and he's going to check it.

After the red dot goes back into hiding, he still hunts for it for a good 30 minutes. checking behind everything, looking up all the walls, checking the ceiling out. it's just too funny.

that's hilarious...