PDA

View Full Version : H valves

cummings66
07-10-2007, 16:26
I'm probably going to be needing an H valve for my tanks, they're true 3500 psi tanks, one of the is a Genesis by PST and the others are Genesis by Norris. They do not use the common valves most tanks now use, so where can I find them. A search here didn't turn up anything nor did it elsewhere.

JahJahwarrior
07-10-2007, 18:59
When in doubt, try
http://www.thedecostop.com
or
http://www.scubaboard.com

Both of them have gear exchange sections that are very active. SB is down at the moment, but should be up soon (hopefully!)

Post a "WTB" thread and someone probably has what you are looking for. It will help you to know the thread size--does HP use 7/8 threads? I remember something about older tanks using a different thread, maybed it was tapered? I honestly don't know, but hopefully you do. Otherwise, post inthe tank forum section with your tank info, or thenumbers on the neck, and someone can tell you what valve you need.

And they are 3500 psi for sure? I know that 3442 is common and hve heard of 3460, I think, but haven't seen any 3500. I think they might have been made though, as someone did reference them in a thread on the Deco stop at some point in the past.

For the moment, you can check http://www.scubaboard2.com and their gear exchange. The ST exchange might get big, but this forum hasn't been around too long. Still, you could put up a WTB thread here as well.

cummings66
07-10-2007, 19:19
Yes, the 7/8-16 thread is what's used on the true HP tanks, the 3442 tanks are pseudo hp tanks, IMO at least. Some others share that opinion as well so I'm not totally out in left field. In any event the major difference is that the 3500 psi tanks use a valve thread thats hard to come by.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yup, if SB was back (hope to see it soon) it might be easier. I didn't think to post on thedecostop, but I might. I'm a member of all of them, not so active on thedecostop. That may change later on as I move into technical diving.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>At one time all the HP tanks (read older ones) were 3500 psi. It's only been recently that you have 3442 tanks. All of the older PST, Genesis, Sherwood, Norris, etc. tanks were 3500 psi. My Norris tanks from 2004 are 3500 psi as well. Of course the thing to keep in mind is Sherwood and Genesis didn't make their tanks and sourced them out to places like PST back then.</DIV>

cummings66
07-23-2007, 19:07
I think they do too, the V131. However, I should have posted back that shortly after I made this posting Shane had 2 of them hanging around and I bought them from him so I'm good for now.

medic001918
07-23-2007, 21:40
Glad you got them and they worked out for you.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shane</DIV>
<DIV>
PS - If anyone Matthew offer's to buy something from you, he's a great buyer. An easy transaction to say the least.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 13:56
Out of curiosity, why do you want H valves? Hose routing tends to be something of a soup sandwich. I'd rather just do doubles.

texdiveguy
08-03-2007, 14:50
Out of curiosity, why do you want H valves? Hose routing tends to be something of a soup sandwich. I'd rather just do doubles.

I dive a HP st. 130 with a H-valve...no problems on hose routing...??

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 14:57

Not so much a problem as a hassle. I don't see the need. And it is true, however, that a double manifold puts the 1st stages a good foot apart, which is pretty different from what an H valve does to it. *shrug*

If I'm doing a dive that has me concerned about safety enough that I feel I need a second 1st stage, I'd rather use full-blown doubles.

texdiveguy
08-03-2007, 16:58

Not so much a problem as a hassle. I don't see the need. And it is true, however, that a double manifold puts the 1st stages a good foot apart, which is pretty different from what an H valve does to it. *shrug*

If I'm doing a dive that has me concerned about safety enough that I feel I need a second 1st stage, I'd rather use full-blown doubles.

There are a lot of instances in my experience were a H-valve is great on a larger single cylinder. Granted it is not the afforded redundancy of a set of doubles....but I dive in topo areas that it is very diffecult to get 'in & out' with doubles. The larger single with the added protection of a second first stage is great....every dive I do concerns me enough for a second first stage regardless of its nature...rec or tech. I also carry a slung pony bottle on all rec dives...buddied or solo.

cummings66
08-03-2007, 20:51

Because I don't want to dive doubles just yet. If I had two HP100's I'd probably double them up but I don't. The technical course I'm planning on taking near the end of the year requires doubles or an H valve for safety. Nothing wrong with an H valve, it does give you two first stages and the ability to shut one down if needed. It's really practice for doubles, but most of my technical buddies dive H's when not diving doubles, in fact not one of them dives a single valve outside of doubles. The reasons vary a bit from needing to stay in practice for valve drills to needing the additional safety.

For me it's a class requirement if I don't dive doubles. Right now my back is tender from an earlier injury and I don't want to risk hurting it again this soon after it's healed up so I also don't want the additional weight.

I don't think it's exactly messed up as bad as you say, doesn't look that way. I don't have them on my tanks yet and probably won't until the vis sometime next month.

texdiveguy
08-03-2007, 21:00
There is nothing thats going to be messed up by using an H-valve unless the gear conf. is just crazy to begin with---lol!

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 22:13

Because I don't want to dive doubles just yet. If I had two HP100's I'd probably double them up but I don't. The technical course I'm planning on taking near the end of the year requires doubles or an H valve for safety. Nothing wrong with an H valve, it does give you two first stages and the ability to shut one down if needed. It's really practice for doubles, but most of my technical buddies dive H's when not diving doubles, in fact not one of them dives a single valve outside of doubles. The reasons vary a bit from needing to stay in practice for valve drills to needing the additional safety.

For me it's a class requirement if I don't dive doubles. Right now my back is tender from an earlier injury and I don't want to risk hurting it again this soon after it's healed up so I also don't want the additional weight.

I don't think it's exactly messed up as bad as you say, doesn't look that way. I don't have them on my tanks yet and probably won't until the vis sometime next month.

I did the same thing before I had my doubles. Had mine on LP95's and it worked out great. I liked the additional safety and it was my baby steps towards doubles.

Ron