PDA

View Full Version : Good things you've seen divers do

crosseyed95
04-27-2008, 17:37
With all the "bad things you've seen divers do" threads out there, especially when you look at other boards, it makes me somewhat disheartened. I tend to be positive. Life is full of people who are selfish and overconfident. Why should diving be any different. However, life is also full of people who are caring, nice and helpful to others. So here's what "good things I've seen divers do".

1. I saw a whole group that paid for a charter. However, a handicap diver was diving that day and everyone "helped" get that diver suited up and in the water. Upon completion they reversed the process. They didn't know the guy but they helped out of concern for a fellow diver.

2. I've been a part of a group that buoy'd several wrecks and ran lines to different "items of interest" so that newer divers can locate them. This was totally a volunteer effort.

3. I've taken my boat to a wreck to find that it already had a dive boat tied to the buoy. I was willing to wait but they yelled out and told me to throw a line. We tied up to them and had a wonderful dive.

4. Another time I was tied to a boat and when we all finished, they broke out food and offered some to me and the wife. We shared our drinks with them and had an informal party. Didn't know them but we shared diving stories.

5. Back when I was new to diving, I had several, what I thought of as senior, divers take me under their wing. They taught me many things and tricks. I wouldn't be the diver I am today without them. Not to say I know everything, but I learned many tricks that aren't in a book. I'm a safer and better diver today because of their time and help.

6. During a trip, two divers made a mistake and ended up drifting away from the boat. They also had an equipment malfunction. The entire boat swung into action. I was amazed how everyone turned into a "crew member" with the total focus (and concern) being on the two divers. Not one person complained about diving time lost or how "they must of screwed up".

These are just 6 of my "good things divers do". I have many more of them than I have "bad things".

texdiveguy
04-27-2008, 17:43
This is a great thread....'positive' thoughts for a change!!!!

I too have witnessed many fellow divers lend gear....friendly advise and help to others in need. Mentor newer divers and comfort those in need of a bit of encouragement.

There are some crummy folks whom have diving cards....but those whom are giving and helpful sure out number the bad apples.

:)

crosseyed95
04-27-2008, 17:49
This is a great thread....'positive' thoughts for a change!!!!

I too have witnessed many fellow divers lend gear....friendly advise and help to others in need. Mentor newer divers and comfort those in need of a bit of encouragement.

There are some crummy folks whom have diving cards....but those whom are giving and helpful sure out number the bad apples.

:)

You mention lending gear. Many times, I have pulled out my "save a dive" kit and repaired something or loaned something. Just as soon as I started thinking "boy, I've got my SH** together", I showed up to a dive and realized I'd left an entire bag at home. God, was I embarrassed. How could I have done something so stupid? Well the entire group started digging in bags. One guy had some fins, another a mask and the list went on and on. I dove on schedule. Course, I had to buy some beers afterwards but that was more to save my ego than to pay them back.

Splitlip
04-27-2008, 18:19
My buddy Steve McKenna rescued Cupid the turtle. (see link)

Loggerhead Marinelife Center of Juno Beach - seaturtlehospitalCupid (http://www.marinelife.org/seaturtlehospitalCupid)

He has also cut a pound or so of weight, leader and hook from a Manta Ray that had been snagged by a fisherman.

Largo
04-27-2008, 18:44
I did Aquatic Safari's (Wilmington, NC) annual Safari Hunt on the Alexander Ramsey. The shop had placed tokens on the wreck for divers to find. The tokens had numbers on them, and later you got a prize for the token. You could get three. One of the junior divers didn't find any tokens, but another diver gave him one of his. The prize turned out to be a membership with a boat-towing company. The kid didn't have a boat, and he ended up trading the membership to another diver, for a BCD.

reactive
04-27-2008, 19:20
My girlfriend rescued a nurse shark that had managed to beach itself while accompanying a friend on their certification dive on the Navarre Pier in Florida.

She also rescued a remora that a fisherman had hooked.

Smashee
04-27-2008, 19:31
Good things I've seen divers do?
Take a noob diver, show them all the cool things on a site, not complain when the dive is only 25min due to noob's high air consumption, teach them skills, know when to offer advice and when to let them figure it out by themselves, not bitch when the noob is learning to lead a dive and gets them slightly lost and just generally be a top buddy.

Cheers+beers to them! Which reminds me, I've got some paying forward to do...

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
04-27-2008, 23:14
The divers around here kitted up a new diver who had just returned from Afgahanistan.

fisheater
04-28-2008, 00:21
The divers around here kitted up a new diver who had just returned from Afgahanistan.

Along those lines, Scott Zeagle set up a combat vet who lost his right arm with a left-armed, custom BC, complete with his unit's patch on it.

Gombessa
04-28-2008, 01:58
Nothing quite as heroic as some of the great stories here, but one of my regular dive buddies picks up random bits of garbage (mainly those foil potato chip bags and plastic shopping bags) in the water and on the walk back up the beach so he can throw it away properly.

Osprey
04-28-2008, 15:32
Nothing quite as heroic as some of the great stories here, but one of my regular dive buddies picks up random bits of garbage

Not as heroic? Tell that to the turtles they saved :)

Everyone can be a hero to someone or something else, it's the variety in the stories that make them so nice to hear

TX1Chica
04-28-2008, 16:05
This is a great thread! I like hearing about all the positve things people are doing. After hearing about all the bad stuff we need to be reminded that their are still good people out their doing good things.
Keep it up guys!

harb99
04-28-2008, 16:08
Along those lines, Scott Zeagle set up a combat vet who lost his right arm with a left-armed, custom BC, complete with his unit's patch on it.

that is awesome! :smiley20:

fisheater
04-29-2008, 01:32
Nothing quite as heroic as some of the great stories here, but one of my regular dive buddies picks up random bits of garbage (mainly those foil potato chip bags and plastic shopping bags) in the water and on the walk back up the beach so he can throw it away properly.

And you DON'T? :smilie40:

jwdizney
04-29-2008, 08:36
When I was still a bubble-watcher, I accompanied Disneymom to our local lake scuba park to "watch bubbles' as she met up with a couple of other divers, she'd never met in person, but had met on this board (MPD525 (and wife) & FireDiver) she and MPD/wife were relatively new divers and FD was an experienced diver. not only was there an instant camaraderie between all divers, FD was almost nuturing in his patience, encouragement and support of the less experienced divers. I expected the more experienced divers to want to go dark and deep, but FD seemed content to just be in the water and definitly gave Disneymom some calmness, plus watching helped me decide to face my own fears and learn to dive myself. I know that we can't expect all experienced divers to be so 'patient' (i've read posts on SB!).. but these guys were definitely ambassadors for the sport!

Splitlip
04-29-2008, 11:08
Everybody should do that as a matter of course. If time and conditions permit, I will also clean up monfiliment.

navyhmc
04-29-2008, 11:33
When I was a very young diver in both dives and age, a local hubby and wife dive team took me with them on a local club trip to Kino Bay Mexico. One of a kind trip! Nothing like sleeping on a boat too.

RikRaeder
04-30-2008, 03:24
It's always nice when they puke over the leeward rail.

cutter77
04-30-2008, 22:07
The "nicest" thing I've ever seen a diver do was thoroughly clean the communal shower on a Blackbeard boat after they were finished so it was nice for the next folks.
Above and beyond the call of duty.~

crosseyed95
05-01-2008, 21:00
The "nicest" thing I've ever seen a diver do was thoroughly clean the communal shower on a Blackbeard boat after they were finished so it was nice for the next folks.
Above and beyond the call of duty.~

That's one of those things you don't appreciate until you are the next one in line!!

longtailbda
05-23-2008, 17:57
20+ years ago when I was younger and poorer and I had an old hand lend me his then almost new equipment no questions asked no expectation of return till I could afford my own "...because everyone should be able to dive."

Charles R
05-23-2008, 18:23
I did a dive with this guy this was a great thing. YouTube - Koie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJmh0DUbxmQ)#

scubasamurai
05-23-2008, 19:00
having the more experienced folks "show you the ropes" before you make a complete fool of yourself

and
recently on a live aboard nobody touch a large seaturtle that was swimming through out group!!! no one took a ride on him or her hahaha.

elijahb
05-23-2008, 19:05
wow all I have seen divers do is look for other peoples lost dive knifes and a weight belt during a dive.

Geoff_T
05-23-2008, 23:01
Also had other divers loan me equiptment when I was in a pinch. Had other divers help me out out of the water when I needed it.

LCF
05-24-2008, 04:53
The last several years, we've had some organized dives in our area called, "Big Buddy" dives. The idea is to match up new or novice divers with experienced buddies, for a dive and a few tips on equipment or technique. This has gone over very well.

I was at a dive site once with a friend, only to discover she had forgotten her gloves. The guy in the truck next to us said, "Oh, I'm done for the day, use my gloves." I asked him how we would get them back to him, and he said, "Oh, I'm from Montana, just mail them to me."

A couple of months ago, a local guy lost an heirloom reel casting off the local fishing pier. The area is off limits to divers. One of my buddies contacted the Harbor Patrol and made arrangements to close the pier for an hour, and a dozen of us spent that time searching for the reel. We found the pole, but the reel was missing. BUT . . . my buddy had also contacted a publicist who got the story on TV, and the guy who had the reel saw it and returned it to the owner. That was a fun thing to be part of.

USF_Diver
05-26-2008, 14:41
One of my friends picked up a beer bottle from the reef and another friend helped cut the line a fish had from a hook in its mouth.

jtkkym
05-26-2008, 14:57
It seems the divers are pretty good helping each other. When I go to a dive trip, there mix of experienced and inexperienced divers and generally experienced diver helps other people needs help without asking.
Thanks for the positive thread!

mm2002
05-27-2008, 07:55
Wow, what a cool thread to read first thing in the morning! Nothing like starting your day off with positive thoughts!

My story isn't anything spectacular, but it was cool to me. On our last day of OW, this older gentleman on vacation showed up at the lake looking for a dive buddy. We were the only ones out there that day, so our instructor invited him to come along with us. He had a great time watching us noobs, and did a fun dive with the wife and I after our last OW dive. He had many stories to tell, and listened patiently to a lot of questions from us. Our first day being certified divers, and we'd already made a new friend. That was cool.

I have met more nice folks since we started diving then I've ever met in any other hobby/activity. It's like one huge family.

Geoff_T
05-27-2008, 08:47
Wow, what a cool thread to read first thing in the morning! Nothing like starting your day off with positive thoughts!

My story isn't anything spectacular, but it was cool to me. On our last day of OW, this older gentleman on vacation showed up at the lake looking for a dive buddy. We were the only ones out there that day, so our instructor invited him to come along with us. He had a great time watching us noobs, and did a fun dive with the wife and I after our last OW dive. He had many stories to tell, and listened patiently to a lot of questions from us. Our first day being certified divers, and we'd already made a new friend. That was cool.

I have met more nice folks since we started diving then I've ever met in any other hobby/activity. It's like one huge family.

I agree it is one of the things that I do love about diving. I kind of wish other things in life worked this way.

wood1612
05-29-2008, 22:18
I was diving out at Lake Medina, and some nice diver loaned me a pair of fins, as I had lost 1 out in the lake. I was able to dive for the rest of the day thanks to him.
PS. Last time I buy negatively buoyant fins!

rawalker
05-29-2008, 22:48
I've been part of a Project AWARE clean up dive at a local lake and I think those type of project are very good things for the environment.

Geoff_T
05-30-2008, 01:13
I've been part of a Project AWARE clean up dive at a local lake and I think those type of project are very good things for the environment.

I am also a big fan of these projects. Am actually hopeing to get involved with some of these now that I live in DFW.

rawalker
05-30-2008, 02:02

I am also a big fan of these projects. Am actually hopeing to get involved with some of these now that I live in DFW.

I was amazed at the amount of junk we brought up last time.
People just don't realize that because you can't see the stuff on the surface doesn't mean it is biodegradeable and will not harm the environment. It isn't just bottles and cans either we brought up boomboxes, cellphones, sunglasses, fishing rods(which I recycled), a shopping cart, a road sign, it really is sad. If it weren't for divers some in land waterways would start to fill with trash.

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 01:55
I love to see divers cleaning the reef as they go and I do see it alot so that's a real positive for me.

scubadiver888
09-06-2008, 10:07
I've seen more good than bad behaviour.

- We were tied off at a buoy diving a wreck. Some other boat comes along, boat master tells him to tie off to our stern.
- Diver from a different boat breaks a fin strap, everyone on our boat pulls out a spare strap and offers it for free.
- EVERYONE helps EVERYONE close drysuit zippers, tuck in hoods, pull on gloves, etc.
- Commercial ship traffic ripped the buoy off a wreck. The current is strong enough that the boat cannot turn off the engine without drifting out into the shipping channel. Two tech divers drop off the boat, no air in wings so they can get to the bottom, find the wreck in 10' viz and shoot a line up. That was so cool.
- Lugging all my equipment back from a shore dive (up a hill 100' high). Diver arriving at the site see this, drives his car down the hill and MAKES me put my gear in the trunk. Thanks Terry.

vanessar
09-06-2008, 23:59
Once in
Puerto Rico, a fellow diver went back in to retrieve my weight pocket (settled at 50ft) I dropped on ascent.

I didn't even ask, what a guy.

vanessar

NeveSSL
09-07-2008, 02:36
I did my OW in a university setting. I'm not exactly thin and a lot of times I was (and still am ;) ) the last one out of the pool. I would struggle with the long swims (had to do 900 yards for our final skills test) and just had a hard time keeping up in a lot of things. On top of that, I wasn't comfortable in deep water to begin with. It was often embarrassing, but I was absolutely determined to get my cert, so in my mind they would have to get over it and so would I. ;)

However, toward the end of the semester we had finished a difficult drill that I had struggled on and one of our assistant instructors gave me a pep talk and just encouraged me to keep on keepin' on. It really made a difference and really helped me to finish the class. Then, on the final skills test, we were supposed to do 900 yards in 20 minutes. It took me until 25 minutes! :D But, the student assistant who was counting my laps kept encouraging me to finish and would count down the laps each time. I didn't think I'd be able to finish it quite honestly... 900 yards is a LONG WAY to swim! But he was encouraging while everyone else in the pool was silent. Good stuff! :)

Brandon

drako
09-07-2008, 07:43
I usually just pick up trash, whenever I find a detached coral or sponge I try my best to re-attach it somewhere where it would be favorable.

bubble-head
09-07-2008, 15:05
I like positive threads like this one too. When I was a new diver in the mid-80's, members of my scuba club and other divers on charters would help me out and give me lots of good advice. As a teen, my LDS owner took me under his wing and introduced me to ocean diving from lake diving. I've seen countless divers share gear, parts, etc with others. Taking trash out of the water is also a common practice. I think most divers are good people and enjoy the company of other divers.