PDA

View Full Version : Haigh Dive Report

snagel
04-27-2008, 19:12
Just got back from a trip to Haigh (Northern Illinois). Oh my god!!!! The viz was fabulous 30+ feet. Water on the chilly side about 42 degrees, but great diving.

1st dive visited a couple swim throughs and a sunken cabin cruiser. 2nd dive swam along wall, great wall dive just under the docks. 3rd Dive went to the rock crusher. A spoonbill came by to see what we were doing and entertained us for about 10 minutes. My dive buddy was trying out his new video camera and got some great shots. I'm sure this will be posted on the video board soon.

Haven't updated any pictures yet, but will in the next couple days.

If you haven't been to Haigh this is a great quarry with typically great viz; especially if you can get there on a week day. Many students on weekends that "muck" things up. A little on the coolers side; so drysuits or heavy neoprene is a must. The owner (I think her name is Tina) is a great host who does everything she can to make your stay enjoyable. She also will give you a great deal on equipment if you need anything.

During the busy season they have a hamburger shack or you can grill your own. They provide many grills for you to use. There is also a covered meeting room with a fire place on the cooler days. Admission is $20. They currently are only open on weekends, but start weekdays (except Tuesday) on May 1st.

This is located in Kankakee, Il about 50 miles south of Chicago. A little on the long drive side for me in Central Missouri, but well worth the trip. The quarry is basically in Kankakee; so, many hotels to pick from. We stayed at Lee's Inn. Nice place that gives a divers discount and buffet breakfast in the morning.

S. Nagel

mixahl
04-27-2008, 19:18
Thanks for the report!!

skdvr
04-27-2008, 19:55
Thanks for the report... I have been wanting to get up there and just have not made it yet. I will have to make sure I make it up there this year...

Thanks

Phil

snagel
04-27-2008, 19:57
Pic's now available on my album. Click below and go to "Haigh April 2008"

S. Nagel

SteveC
04-27-2008, 22:50
I’ve got the video uploaded to the Lake Divers category. The online resolution is not the greatest, but the footage of the Spoonbill came out pretty good. All in all, it was a great day of diving.

davis73
04-27-2008, 23:16
Very cool video,especially liked the spoonbill. Was there last summer didn't get to see the spoonbills, will try again this summer.