PDA

View Full Version : Reckless Divers

imasinker
04-28-2008, 09:54
As a new diver I took a vow to protect and treat the underwater world as I would myself in a safe and friendly manner, after all we are only guest when we are there.

My question is this, If you saw a diver(s) being reckless, prying up coral grabbing marine life, pulling or stabbing or just having no regards to there doings, would you say something to them?

what would you do?

mixahl
04-28-2008, 10:01
There is not much you can do underwater, except maybe alert the divemaster. You might pose danger to yourself and others. I would approach them on the surface and let the boat captain know.

Splitlip
04-28-2008, 11:16
I know a DM who "tackled" a patron under water and put him in a bear hug.
The guy was grabbing on to sea turtles and had been warned. DM wanted to get his point across and see how the animal feels.

A little impulsive and maybe a little risky, but feel good non the less.

I have pushed people's hands away and wagged my finger at them like they are little kids

Bigg_Budd
04-28-2008, 11:22
In my opinion, that person is asking for an ass whoopin. It would take every ounce of control in my body to refrain from throttling their sorry ass.

reactive
04-28-2008, 11:23
Cut their air hose (the low pressure side, as this will drain their tank faster)!

DevilDiver
04-28-2008, 12:09
I would suggest to signal the DM first and let them handle. If the DM is not close or you can't get their attention. Get the offending divers attention and signal to stop and inform the DM topside.
The DM/diveshop should be responsible and handle the situation and speak with the individual. If the DM/diveshop doesn't adress the issue you have the right voice your oppinion to take your business elsewhere....

:smiley20: I really like this as a back-up option though!
In my opinion, that person is asking for an ass whoopin. It would take every ounce of control in my body to refrain from throttling their sorry ass.

wolfen42
04-28-2008, 12:41
Cut their air hose (the low pressure side, as this will drain their tank faster)!

Nah... cut the high pressure hose. They wont be in any real danger of running out of air but it should dissuade them from further silliness while they head towards the surface... :)

mixahl
04-28-2008, 13:55

Nah... cut the high pressure hose. They wont be in any real danger of running out of air but it should dissuade them from further silliness while they head towards the surface... :)

Or, you can just cut all of them!

fire diver
04-28-2008, 14:03
As a new diver I took a vow to protect and treat the underwater world as I would myself in a safe and friendly manner, after all we are only guest when we are there.

My question is this, If you saw a diver(s) being reckless, prying up coral grabbing marine life, pulling or stabbing or just having no regards to there doings, would you say something to them?

what would you do?

What can you say to a person who doesn't re-surface? :smiley11:

Actually, if I saw that on a dive I would physically grab them and take them back up top or to the divemaster. I'll lose a dive if it means stopping someone like that.

Flatliner
04-28-2008, 14:11
I am ashamed to admit that the one time I did see someone do this I said nothing.

Let the flames begin, I guess I have it coming.

Beaucoupfishies
04-28-2008, 15:42
I agree with looking for the DM first and if there's not one to be found, trying to get the diver's attention and signal them to stop. If they don't, it's not really wise to try to attack them under water. You never know who has had lots of training with their 11 incher.

Of course, if you're 250 pounds of ex-marine, then by all means, exercise your best judgement. :smiley36:

Sounder
04-28-2008, 16:25
I might accidently go OOA next to them... "oh help, I need to share air!" Then we ascend together, then at the surface you tell them not to touch the turtles... and you did him a favor allowing him to practice his OOA drills.

Cutting hoses isn't realistic, but as usual it's always mentioned. If you were to do it, you'd at least be looking at assault, and manslaughter/homicide charges if something bad happened. Moving on...

What I've found is education works the best. If you tell them that turtles, when they feel threatened, will go deeper to get away from you whether they have the breath for it or not, and sometimes will drown themselves... all because you were f-ing with them.

This usually guilts them into leaving the turtles alone.

RikRaeder
04-28-2008, 17:22
I agree with those who say that a physical confrontation underwater is not advisable. I disagree that a physical confrontation on deck or on the beach is advisable at all. At many sites, but not all, there are no laws against disturbing the fauna and while the diver's actions may be against your (or my) personal moral code, it may be quite legal (thus making physical means against them assault). Do you have the right to get out and assault a poor driver because he drives slower than you, or to yank him out of his car and take his keys? Same principle. I think speaking to them quietly is the best course of action. Failing that, I have gone on a tirade to all on the boat about "some divers" who molest fauna and disturb the aquatic ecosystem, without naming names. Maybe I've lived in Japan too long, but I find group ostricization and humiliation therapy work well. It worked on the French Divers, anyway.

fisheater
04-29-2008, 01:34
Do you have the right to get out and assault a poor driver because he drives slower than you, or to yank him out of his car and take his keys?

If only!!

ScaredSilly
04-29-2008, 11:36
Sometimes the DM is the problem. The best course of action is to politely let the offending diver know of their offence by educating them once back on the surface. Underwater give the stop and finger wag. Of course when I saw some folks making a puffer puff up I just rolled my eyes and shook my head and turned way.

reactive
04-29-2008, 11:41
I agree with those who say that a physical confrontation underwater is not advisable. I disagree that a physical confrontation on deck or on the beach is advisable at all. At many sites, but not all, there are no laws against disturbing the fauna and while the diver's actions may be against your (or my) personal moral code, it may be quite legal (thus making physical means against them assault). Do you have the right to get out and assault a poor driver because he drives slower than you, or to yank him out of his car and take his keys? Same principle. I think speaking to them quietly is the best course of action. Failing that, I have gone on a tirade to all on the boat about "some divers" who molest fauna and disturb the aquatic ecosystem, without naming names. Maybe I've lived in Japan too long, but I find group ostricization and humiliation therapy work well. It worked on the French Divers, anyway.

I would compare someone going around knifing the reef or bear hugging sea turtles to a driver that is purposely ramming other drivers and getting out of his car at every red light and slashing everyone's tires, in which case, yes it would be appropriate for you to drag him out of his car and take his keys.

RoyN
04-29-2008, 12:34
If I see someone poking at the marine city, I would tap on their shoulder, give the no-no hand signal. If not, I'll refer them to my naturalist instructor. :D She will give them some words of her own! Oooo....scary...;)

matt151617
04-30-2008, 00:44
Any decent divemaster would make the person surface, and kick them off and not let them dive anymore.