Eurodiver
04-28-2008, 11:08
Have a blond questions:

Does any one use this computer?
Does it come with everything you need?
Likes / Dislikes?
Any information would be so awesome.
Mares M2 Nitrox / Air Dive Computer

I want to get this, it will be my first dive computer. I can't stand consoles I don't like hanging on to stuff when I dive.

LOVE and PEACE :smiley2:
Eurodiver

Bigg_Budd
04-28-2008, 11:20
As far as wrist computers, this one is pretty bulky.

texdiveguy
04-28-2008, 11:29
It's a good basic wrist model dive computer....will work well for you and at around $200US not bad.

mixahl
04-28-2008, 11:32
It is bulky but basic and will do the job....not a bad choice..

reactive
04-28-2008, 11:32
I spent $260 (10% forum discount + $10 gift card from reaching 10 posts) and got the Oceanic Geo. (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Oceanic_Blue_Geo)
It's as good or better than the mares, and a lot smaller.

Bigg_Budd
04-28-2008, 11:46
Another Oceanic fan here. But if your motivation is price, then I'm sure it will do the trick.

Eurodiver
04-28-2008, 12:12
This whole buying gear thing is really getting to me. I live in Germany and with the current Euro rate you don't dare buy this stuff on the German economy with or with out a VAT form. So I have to rely on buying things on the net or wait until I move back next year {maybe}.

Most places here if you want to try gear out you have to put down a deposit, book an appointment blah blah blah.

Don't get me wrong I love living in Europe and want to hit a few more places for Diving before we leave like Malta, Spain {again}, Greece and Croatia but I want my own gear. Rental gear grosses me out.

I was looking at getting this
Scuba Packages, BC & Regulator Packages Dive Systems (http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Package_BC_Reg.asp)
The Mares Sport package
thought it would be ok for my "first gear set" and what I was wanting to know is not so much if the thing is bulky but is it ready to get a tank of air and Woo Hoo go diving or do I need anything else {other than the obvious boots, wet suit, snorkel, fins, mask etc. I am not that blond /insert some credit here} Do I need any other pieces parts to go with the Mares M2 Nitrox / Air Dive Computer.

The wet suit is a pain too. I have implants and you just can't zip these bad boys up into any size.
:icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface:

Ryanh1801
04-28-2008, 12:21
I have the M2, I like it a lot for the price. It does everything I need it to do. The display is easy to read both during the day and at night or low visibility.

Things I don't like about it
Not to user friendly, manual is not the greatest.
Buttons can be hard to press, but I have noticed mine have either gotten better, or I have just gotten used to it.

All in all its a good dive computer and I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon.

reactive
04-28-2008, 12:31
You man want to look into the Zeagle Zena since you mention that you have comfort problems with your lady lumps.

There is a package for that rig too: Womens Zeagle Zena and Tusa Regulator Package, BCDS: Women, Zeagle, Womens Zeagle Zena and Tusa Regulator Package (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WomenPkg1)

You can add the mares computer separately and come out to about the same price.

Otherwise, the mares sports package looks like an all inclusive bit, and other than the basics, you're all set.

Eurodiver
04-28-2008, 12:47
Lady lumps?
Ha ha that is cute.

My question is the non blond version
Does it come with the sending unit?

I drew a mind blank on what that piece was called.

reactive
04-28-2008, 13:20
The computer is not air integrated. This means that it doesn't monitor your air supply. You will still need to rely on your good ole SPG for that function.

ChrisA
04-28-2008, 13:37
Any information would be so awesome.
Mares M2 Nitrox / Air Dive Computer

Yes. I have one

The good features are : I do a lot of night dives and on this conputer the backlight will stay on full time so I can use it one handed, not having to alway hit the botton. Yes this eats batteries but the computer takes AAA size and you can change them quickly with no tools. The price was right. $200 was a grat deal.

Bad points. The bottons are hard to press, takes abit of force. (2) the menu system is not easy to remember, keep the instructions handy

ChrisA
04-28-2008, 13:40
The computer is not air integrated. This means that it doesn't monitor your air supply. You will still need to rely on your good ole SPG for that function.

Yes but you'd need a "good ole SPG" to monitor your air even if you have an AI computer. I'd not trust anything as complex as a computer for that

No Misses
04-28-2008, 13:42
Lady lumps?
Ha ha that is cute.

Sending Unit = Transponder.

I don't believe that the M2 supports air integration :smiley13:

Here are my DC "wants" in order of importance to me.
Nitrox/EAN capable
PC download
Air integrated
Price

There are other considerations
Which algorithm is used? (conservative or not)
Wrist or console mount
If you choose wrist mount, remember that you will still need some way to monitor cylinder PSI/BAR. You can use a standard SPG (console) or a Transponder (assuming your DC supports AI Transponder). Where will you mount/carry your compass (Wrist mount, retractor, console)?

I chose the Aeris Atmos AI. It gives me everything I want, in a small package. Aeris Atmos AI Nitrox Computer, Computers: Nitrox, Aeris, Aeris Atmos AI Nitrox Computer (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AtmosAI)

P.S. ST will work with you to come up with a package that works for you. You can mix and match.

Good Luck

texdiveguy
04-28-2008, 13:49
If the OP is up to suggestions on another unit...then by far one of the best units on the market is the Dive Rite Nitek Duo's (branded under other names also). Very effective 2 gas dive computer in a VERY simple package....a wee bit more $ than the Mares but a few steps above. PM me if you are interested in any details and user experience on the Duo's, would be happy to help.

divergirl
04-29-2008, 13:26
I love my mares puck computer.. very simple and straightforward, has the EANx option as well.

CompuDude
04-29-2008, 14:45
Lady lumps?
Ha ha that is cute.

The transmitter? I don't think the Mares M2 is air-integrated, nor can it be upgraded to AI. You need a different computer if that's what you're looking for. So there is no transmitter... you need a separate gauge to show your remaining air pressure.

As a standalone computer, reports of the M2 have generally been good. I don't care for the algorithm, which, if I'm recalling correctly, is similar to Suunto's in terms of conservatism. I'd rather get an Oceanic and crank up the conservatism settings than get stuck with a computer that won't let me loosen it up to better match other computers.

I agree that it looks a little bulky... it'd be one thing if you had a huge screen to account for all that bulk, but the screen takes up a relatively small amount of real estate, considering.

Still, for $200 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2), that's a nice deal, if it gives you want you're looking for.

Edit: Whoops... post from yesterday still on my screen! Didn't see others have already responded, sorry.

Eurodiver
04-30-2008, 01:22
Thanks for all the replies.
I have come to realize that this whole gear buying thing is giving me a headache. :bonk:
Can't find the right size wet suit cause the boobs won't fit and I am short {5'4" respectively}
Can't find a AI wrist thing cause most are stupid expensive and I don't care for something I have to hang onto while diving.
Can't just buy gear in Europe cause WOW the Euro rate bites.

I am really not the typical air head blond. I don't get in my car have a can of biscuits explode and think it is my brain.

All I know is I love to dive and want my own gear.

Again many thanks for the info.

Peace and Love
:heartpump:
Eurodiver

CompuDude
04-30-2008, 01:57
If you're really curvy, a custom wetsuit might end up being a better option for you. Many good custom suits don't cost much more... if at all... than good off the shelf name brand suits.

Eurodiver
04-30-2008, 02:09
I will look into that next year IF we get to come back to the US. For now it has to be and "off the shelf" kind of thing.

CompuDude
04-30-2008, 03:03
I will look into that next year IF we get to come back to the US. For now it has to be and "off the shelf" kind of thing.

LiquidFit specializes in over-the-phone fittings and measurements. Just sayin. ;)

msprzeor
04-30-2008, 05:38
If the OP is up to suggestions on another unit...then by far one of the best units on the market is the Dive Rite Nitek Duo's (branded under other names also). Very effective 2 gas dive computer in a VERY simple package....a wee bit more $ than the Mares but a few steps above. PM me if you are interested in any details and user experience on the Duo's, would be happy to help.

Agreed on the Duo- my husband and I have them and they are fantastic. He had been using a Nitek Plus and convinced me to try the Dive Rite line and I'm impressed. Packed with features, yet simple to use, I can't say a bad thing about it so far!

RetroVertigo
05-05-2008, 13:06

I dont know if this has been mentioned before , but I have a Henderson Hyperstretch and it fits GREAT. I am 5'5" and wear a 38DD so I am a similar body type. If you try one on, go about 2 sizes smaller than your dress size and work from there.

Diver Kat
05-05-2008, 23:02
Ditto on the Henderson Hyperstretch - I'm 5'4" and all over well rounded :smiley3: and the HH is the most comfortable wetsuit I've found. Well worth the price.

Martin2
05-08-2008, 13:45
I'd also recommend the Henderson Hyperstretch. I tried pretty much everything else and it was the best off the rack fit.

georoc01
05-08-2008, 15:34
Check out the Implants thread below. BeachBunnyCrissy is a huge fan of the Henderson Hyperstretch for the same reasons you are talking about.