PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit size?

DarinMartell
04-28-2008, 19:23
Ok, I am about to order my first wetsuit. Over the last year my weight has fluctuated between 205 - 235. I am currently around 226 but am going to join Foo2's weekly weigh in and hope to get down to 200 but would be happy at 210 (my peak was over 260 a couple of years ago).

The suit I am getting is not one of the "super stretch" types. Should I buy it with my current weight in mind and risk it being too loose in the near furture. Buy it with 210 in mind and risk it being too tight. Or hold off buying it until the weight is off?

terrillja
04-28-2008, 19:25
I'd consider thermoprene. More stretchy than regular neoprene, and ST has them on sale. My XL is a little bit loose on me. (6', 200)

FishFood
04-28-2008, 19:26
A suit that is too loose will not insulate properly, which is not good. Why not buy a "super stretch" suit?

DarinMartell
04-28-2008, 19:49
Why not stretchy? Comes down to $$$. ST's least expensive 7mm is a Neosport (not stretchy) or a XXXL thermopane each at $150. Next least is $250. I am looking at getting a generic brand for $80 Low Priced Wet Suits at Tommy D Sports ~ Get Your Diving, Snorkeling, and Water Sports Gear (http://www.tommydsports.com/products/pages/8802.htm)

I know the quality might not be as good, I know it might not last as long, but I just can't spend more than $150 on a suit right now.

So now I need to figure out which size. Thanks for the thoughts so far.

leesanhua
04-28-2008, 21:00
if you don't want to get super stretch then i would say wait till you drop your weight.
or you can go ahead and buy the wetsuit that can fit 200-210 which kind of encourage you to loose your weight when you need to wear the suit.

WaterRat
04-29-2008, 12:50
I just picked up one of the 2007 model Thermoprenes from ST this weekend. $107 on clearance for the 3mil. IT stretchy enough that youcan get it a little tight and it will fit good. I was amazed at how well the Thermoprene fit. 2 thumbs up for sure.

Ron

skippy11
04-29-2008, 22:16
Ok, I am about to order my first wetsuit. Over the last year my weight has fluctuated between 205 - 235. I am currently around 226 but am going to join Foo2's weekly weigh in and hope to get down to 200 but would be happy at 210 (my peak was over 260 a couple of years ago).

The suit I am getting is not one of the "super stretch" types. Should I buy it with my current weight in mind and risk it being too loose in the near furture. Buy it with 210 in mind and risk it being too tight. Or hold off buying it until the weight is off?

Darin,
I purchased mine when I was almost 20lbs lighter, but I bought the "super strechy". You know it was a little tight in January (since I had gained the 20 extra lbs), but it was not constricting, bothersome, or unbearable.

It is starting to fit better now, but that is one of the things driving me to loose weight before my June Vacation. Good Luck and I will be seeing you at Foo2's Weigh In!