PDA

View Full Version : A few questions.

Ryanh1801
04-28-2008, 22:55
Had a bunch of questions for yall. I am in the process of piecing together some stuff for doubles. I currently have a Bp/W setup with a single only wing.

1. Once you went to doubles did you keep your stuff for single tank diving? Any reason you can think I would want to?

2. I am wanting to use DIN stuff, my current reg is a yoke Mares MR 12, is it possible to get it converted to DIN? Im pretty set on getting a salvo for my new reg, but trying not to spend the money on two regs right now, since I have so much other stuff Im about to buy.

3. So far I know I need to get Tank bands, manifold, another regulator, 7 foot hose, and a new wing. Anything else im not thinking of?

4. If I get a 300 Bar Manifold it will work for Alm tanks and HP steel correct? Im doing Alm, at first but plan on buying some steels latter down the road, and using the alm tanks for other things.

I know their is other stuff I was wanting to know, but I can't think of what it was right now.

texdiveguy
04-28-2008, 23:13
Had a bunch of questions for yall. I am in the process of piecing together some stuff for doubles. I currently have a Bp/W setup with a single only wing.

1. Once you went to doubles did you keep your stuff for single tank diving? Any reason you can think I would want to?

2. I am wanting to use DIN stuff, my current reg is a yoke Mares MR 12, is it possible to get it converted to DIN? Im pretty set on getting a salvo for my new reg, but trying not to spend the money on two regs right now, since I have so much other stuff Im about to buy.

3. So far I know I need to get Tank bands, manifold, another regulator, 7 foot hose, and a new wing. Anything else im not thinking of?

4. If I get a 300 Bar Manifold it will work for Alm tanks and HP steel correct? Im doing Alm, at first but plan on buying some steels latter down the road, and using the alm tanks for other things.

I know their is other stuff I was wanting to know, but I can't think of what it was right now.

Ryan.... do yourself a big favor and sign up for that Intro to Tech class you were posting about the other day....it will afford the answers to many of the questions you ask....get the advise first hand from your instructor. These are all really good thought questions but have many variables in terms of replies that you will get a dozen varing takes from folks on these boards, many times just clouding your thought process even more. Or PM me and I will be happy to spend sometime with you at some point and cover a few of these areas....I have been down this road and don't mind fielding the questions one on one. :)

fire diver
04-28-2008, 23:23

Tex is right. Take the class first. Your instructor should explain all the configurations and the purpose/reasoning behind them.

But.... I still dive singles sometimes, even though I have a doubles setup. Although it's MUCH easier to do with a second BP/W that is dedicated to singles. Just make sure you have dedicated single and doubles wings. don't go for a "combo" wing.

You will need new valves to go with the manifold (although they generaly come as a set). Just make sure your threads are the same between tank and valve. I would also suggest and naked brass/glass SPG with a SS boltsnap. A bungie for your secondary, and another SS boltsnap for the primary.

Ryanh1801
04-28-2008, 23:37
Tex.- Thanks for the offer Im sure I will take you up one that. Right now im just not sure when Im going to be able to take the class, my summer is a no go with all the classes im taking to get done with school, so at the earliest it will be late August.

Fire- Yes I have heard the combo wings don't work the best, and I might end up doing a separate rig, guess ill just see what they say when I get to take the class. I have the quick release on my harness and I know the one instructor at our school said he does not approve of that for his tech classes.

You last part brought up another question I remembered, I have been thinking of switching to the naked SPG, just for the fact im not really liking the big console. If you just use the SPG, do you only rely on your dive computer for depth gauge, or is their something im missing?

fire diver
04-29-2008, 08:41
I have a computer on a wrist boot, and a compass on the other wrist. Some folks prefer to just use a bottom timer instead of a computer. Either way, this lets you know your depth and time. Some also carry a backup depth guage in a pocket.

CompuDude
04-29-2008, 16:01
Tex.- Thanks for the offer Im sure I will take you up one that. Right now im just not sure when Im going to be able to take the class, my summer is a no go with all the classes im taking to get done with school, so at the earliest it will be late August.

Fire- Yes I have heard the combo wings don't work the best, and I might end up doing a separate rig, guess ill just see what they say when I get to take the class. I have the quick release on my harness and I know the one instructor at our school said he does not approve of that for his tech classes.

You last part brought up another question I remembered, I have been thinking of switching to the naked SPG, just for the fact im not really liking the big console. If you just use the SPG, do you only rely on your dive computer for depth gauge, or is their something im missing?

Yes, generally you just have a bare SPG clipped off to the left hip's d-ring, and wear a computer and compass on your wrist.

terrillja
04-29-2008, 16:36
FWIW, I have a 200bar manifold on my lp108s, for 2 reasons:
1. It came on there
2. I read this: Valves, Regulator Fittings, Cylinder Neck Openings -- More than you wanted to know (http://diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml#dinfaq)

I had always thought 300bar was the only way to go, but on LP cylinders, 200bar is an option.

doczerothree
04-29-2008, 16:37

Fire and Tex have really good advise: Take an intro class. During that time you can make imformed decisions regarding gear. A good class is worth the cost and will save you money and time. good luck:smiley20: