PDA

View Full Version : Dallas guys, hydro question.

Ryanh1801
04-29-2008, 10:52
Where do you take your tank to get hydrostatic tested in the area, I was looking for a place I could just get it done, instead of dropping it off at a scuba shop. Also how much did you pay?

Thanks
Ryan

cummings66
04-29-2008, 17:50
Look here, they're all here.
http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/approvals/hydro/cyl_tx.pdf

Ryanh1801
04-29-2008, 17:51
Look here, they're all here.
http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/approvals/hydro/cyl_tx.pdf

Thank you!!!!!

texdiveguy
04-29-2008, 18:28
I use Kimbrough Fire Extinguisher Company, Inc. in Arlington...$16.50 a hydro.

doczerothree
04-29-2008, 20:12
just about any fire extinguisher place or fire house can give you that imformation.

cummings66
04-30-2008, 12:26
It's best to use the DOT list I posted and then call up the ones that can do HP cylinders.

I know of a place not far from me that isn't qualified to to HP cylinder testing, yet they do. Yup, it's one of those fire extinguisher places.

Get it from the horses mouth like I posted and call, verify, you'll be good that way.

ScubaToys Larry
04-30-2008, 12:54
You may want to think of the scuba shop though... For example, if you go get your hydro some place - and they clip you 16 or 18 bucks... then you need your vis and fill... probably another 15 or so, and we do a hydro, vis and fill for $30... and if you need to borrow a tank while it's being done, we lend you one no charge, and with the price of gas... driving around to "save" money can cost you more!

Just a thought... and a blatant advertisement...

fireflock
04-30-2008, 12:57
I agree. Unless you have a bunch of tanks, or do your own vips, the difference is only a buck or two in most cases that I've seen.

Ryanh1801
04-30-2008, 12:59
You may want to think of the scuba shop though... For example, if you go get your hydro some place - and they clip you 16 or 18 bucks... then you need your vis and fill... probably another 15 or so, and we do a hydro, vis and fill for $30... and if you need to borrow a tank while it's being done, we lend you one no charge, and with the price of gas... driving around to "save" money can cost you more!

I was wondering how much yall charged. 30 is very reasonable. I had called another shop by my house and was told 60 which I thought was insane. Anyways the tank I was suppose to buy got sold before I could go pick it up. So im still looking around for another tank.

Larry is their a spot on your site with service prices? Just wondering if I am missing something.

ScubaToys Larry
04-30-2008, 13:13
Larry is their a spot on your site with service prices? Just wondering if I am missing something.

Not really... we have the reg repair out there... $49.95 - but no place where it lists hydro's, vips, etc... Just give us a shout. And I guess when I get time I'll have to toss that out there!

No Misses
04-30-2008, 13:59

That's a good price! I have been checking around Fort Lauderdale and many shops do not include VIP and Fill with Hydro-Static testing.

Example
Hydro...$29
VIP.......$15
Fill.........$5.60

Thats a $50 charge per cylinder. I have 4 cylinders that are due for Hydro this year.
Scuba Toys (4 cylinders) $120
My LDS (same 4 cylinders) $200

In my case, it makes sense to do my own O2 cleaning and VIP. If ST was close by, it would be a different story.

cummings66
05-01-2008, 11:27
That's the thing. ST's just can't be everywhere. I wish they had a branch next door to me as well. However, my LDS charges $33 for a hydro, vis, and fill so it's not a bad deal. But, since I'm a psi inspector I don't need to have somebody do that for me, all I need is a hydro and fill. Still, not much cheaper but I get the piece of mind knowing it's done right.

I hasten to add, I am certain Scuba Toys doesn't short change the visual inspection. Not all shops are that good however.