PDA

View Full Version : Weights for al80's

DarinMartell
04-29-2008, 12:44
Another thread asking about cutting weight reminded me of a product I have seen on e-bay: NEW PRODUCT Neutrl Buoyancy Weight 4 Scuba Diving Tanks - eBay (item 190214103233 end time Apr-21-08 13:30:38 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRODUCT-Neutrl-Buoyancy-Weight-4-Scuba-Diving-Tanks_W0QQitemZ190214103233QQihZ009QQcategoryZ7400 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

It is a 3.7 lb 1/4th inch disk that is 7.25" in diameter. The idea is slit it into your tank boot and create a neutral bouyency tank.

What do you think?

mike_s
04-29-2008, 12:52
Another thread asking about cutting weight reminded me of a product I have seen on e-bay: NEW PRODUCT Neutrl Buoyancy Weight 4 Scuba Diving Tanks - eBay (item 190214103233 end time Apr-21-08 13:30:38 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRODUCT-Neutrl-Buoyancy-Weight-4-Scuba-Diving-Tanks_W0QQitemZ190214103233QQihZ009QQcategoryZ7400 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

It is a 3.7 lb 1/4th inch disk that is 7.25" in diameter. The idea is slit it into your tank boot and create a neutral bouyency tank.

What do you think?

This is an "solution in search of an accident waiting to happen".

What happens when the extra weight caused the boot to slide off? Not all tank boots stay on well. Diver is positive buoyant and then you have a weight falling that can hit another diver in the head/body.

Also... not all boat tank racks can accomadate boots on tanks. (example the round PVC insert tank holders on Newton Dive boats).

DarinMartell
04-29-2008, 13:07

What do you think?

This is an "solution in search of an accident waiting to happen".

What happens when the extra weight caused the boot to slide off? Not all tank boots stay on well. Diver is positive buoyant and then you have a weight falling that can hit another diver in the head/body.

Also... not all boat tank racks can accomadate boots on tanks. (example the round PVC insert tank holders on Newton Dive boats).

good point on the rack issue. As far as falling off I think I would take the suggestion and run a bead of caulk to adhere the disk to the tank. I don't really see the benifit that this gives you over removable tank weights but I thought it was interesting.

RoyN
04-29-2008, 13:08
I wouldn't really bother with it. Its just one of those sharper image type gadget. :D

Leisurepro has something like that and it has a pull tab to release the weights in case of emergency.

Black-Gorrilla
04-29-2008, 13:42
just put a few pounds on your tank strap...
when i dive aluminum on charters... i put 2 pounds on each strap to make me right.

mike_s
04-29-2008, 13:46
good point on the rack issue. As far as falling off I think I would take the suggestion and run a bead of caulk to adhere the disk to the tank. I don't really see the benifit that this gives you over removable tank weights but I thought it was interesting.

I don't think the caulk would be well advised either. Then you couldn't take them off for rinsing after a saltwater dive.

I doubt some shops would give a visual sticker if they couldn't check the bottom of the tank for pitting....

I still think that this is a "solution in search of an accident waiting to happen".

It is interesting. but... It's just something that someone is trying to sell as a gimmick. Just like the "roller tank boot" that came out a year or two ago.

cummings66
04-29-2008, 17:47
If I got a cylinder in for vis with a caulk bead around the bottom and a lead plate secured to it, the first step would be to remove it to check and see how much corrosion set in. First, many caulks contain an acid base and will attack Aluminum so I'd be wary.

However, the idea does work, sort of. I made a sand casting of the bottom of a cylinder, my lead weight conformed to the cylinder perfectly. The boot was very secure and would never fall off, in fact it was just as hard to get off as before. The cylinder sat higher, that's about it.

The problem, I didn't need lead down that low, it made my feet hang low. Trim was all screwed up. Nice idea, but for many I'm not sure it's the best.

mangrovejack
04-29-2008, 20:20
I would just use trim weight pockets that attach to the cambands so you have can at least move it around a little to perfectly balance your trim. Or failing that, just get a neutral buoyancy AL tank to begin with if you really need it.

WD8CDH
04-30-2008, 16:04
I think weighting a regular aluminum tank is a better idea than getting a neutral buoyant aluminum tank. Both the regular 80 and the neutral 80 are within about 1/2" in height but neutral tank only really lightens your wallet and opens you up to underfills if the shop doesn't realize that the tank is 3300psi.

Grin
05-01-2008, 10:01
I have a few of the ones LP sells. They are a tank boot with a 5 lb weight on the bottom. They are made with a release on them. I cut the release off and tie wrapped and wired them to the boot permanent. The LP settup keeps the metal weight off the tank so no dissimilar metal corrosion will occur. The 5 lbs on the bottom of the tank is a great place for it. This makes my AL 80s very close to the same bouyancy as my Steel tanks. Close enough that I don't have to add or remove weight when switching between the two.
I wouldn't put any sealer on there. And the dissimilar metals might cause corrosion also.
I like those LP gimik things I have. I thought they would be junk and discarded. They actually are pretty damn nice. To bad they don't make them without the release gimik. I didn't like that idea at all.

longtailbda
05-31-2008, 06:17
Just add trim weights much cheaper and less grief. Although I saw 1 person strap 4 pounds to the mid portion of their tank claimed it solved the bouyancy problem and helped distribute weight more evenly.

CaptRoger
06-04-2008, 12:30
I just put two 2lbs weights on my tank strap, helps with trim also.
The weighted boots have the added weight at the bottom of the tank, not really where you want to add weight, unless you like draging your feet on the bottom.