PDA

View Full Version : Amphibian Flip Fins

james.earnhardt
08-04-2007, 12:16
Don't know if anybody has noticed but there is a new fin out on the market. This cool design allows the fin to flip upwards so you can walk on the shore, boat and even walk in dives. Once you hit the water the flin flips downward and locks into the normal position. More information about the fin can be found using the google search bar and Sport Diver magazine did a review about them in June 2007. Price is hi around 289.00 a pair but we all remember how expensive the split fins were when they first came out. Hey Suba Toys, when are you going to sell these?

Omega Aquatics Amphibian Fin

thesmoothdome
08-04-2007, 12:52
I ran into a pair of these at the Long Beach Scuba Show a few months ago. Their interesting to say the least. They definately seemed well constructed. I think they'd be real good for people with limited flexibility who can't get into the fins while standing on the swim step of a boat or while entering from the shore.

ScubaToys Larry
08-04-2007, 13:11
I actually invented that about 20 years ago... about the same time I came up with the scuba tool... I had some pictures I took to dema, then decided it would be a small market with a large manufacturing costs - so I blew off the idea... and now they surface 20 years later!

I saw them at the last dema - if anyone really wants them, we'll get them in. (but may have to leave them in the back room until you order!)

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 21:34
I actually invented that about 20 years ago... about the same time I came up with the scuba tool... I had some pictures I took to dema, then decided it would be a small market with a large manufacturing costs - so I blew off the idea... and now they surface 20 years later!

I wouldn't loose any sleep over that one Larry. I don't think they will be a home run.

Judestudio
08-05-2007, 00:32
http://www.divernet.com/data/images/707_tests_omega.jpg
(Photo from Divernet.co.uk (http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=6156&sc=2013&ac=d))

Clever idea. But the price tag on it could have easily gotten 2 pairs of high end fins. $289 for convenience...

Osprey
08-06-2007, 00:49
You know what's kind of funny is when I first saw that they "flipped up" I imagined them curling up.. like giant finny elf shoes! Time for bed I think...

Phestr
08-08-2007, 05:20
How good is the locking mechanism on these? I mean, if I accidently roundhouse kick my buddy in the face (Chuck Norris is my hero), will they just flip up, or can I immediately go into my combo move?

nferra2
08-08-2007, 08:44
Looks like it would be more difficult to walk with them flipped up...

namabiru
08-10-2007, 12:03
I'd love to try them. But here would be my thing. I would be strolling along, and somehow one fin would magically malfunction, flipping back down and causing me to literally hit the deck. That would sure be charming.

I could, however, be of some use by being thrown directly to the water so everyone else could enjoy a nice shark seeing dive. :D

deepdiver47
08-10-2007, 12:18
sorry guys, it's too weird for me

dallasdivergirl
08-10-2007, 12:25
$289

I don't think so.

reservecops
08-10-2007, 17:12
How good is the locking mechanism on these? I mean, if I accidently roundhouse kick my buddy in the face (Chuck Norris is my hero), will they just flip up, or can I immediately go into my combo move?ROTFLMAO! If Larry and Co had the reputation system turned on for vBulletin, you'd have gotten some positive rep from me! :smiley16:

kevinj1
08-10-2007, 17:47
How good is the locking mechanism on these? I mean, if I accidently roundhouse kick my buddy in the face (Chuck Norris is my hero), will they just flip up, or can I immediately go into my combo move?

What a good question with a nice hint of comedic genius to it... I too, am a Chuck Norris fan...

namabiru
08-11-2007, 11:29
$289

I don't think so.

*nods*

Yeppo, so it's better that a LDS purchase them for their rental gear and then you can charm the folk into letting you dive them once or twice. :smiley2:

Or hit the clearance sale, when it's realized that no one likes them and they won't sell :smiley36:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-11-2007, 11:33
they just look like theres more that can go wrong with them.