PDA

View Full Version : Blood Donation & Diving

jterry
04-30-2008, 04:10
Okay, this may sound like a crazy question but someone must know the answer. I give blood regularly and they called me in for a donation right before I was to leave for a dive trip. I didn't go in but it did bring up the question of whether there is an appropriate amount of time there should be between giving blood and diving (with nitrox). I know there is a recommended 24 hour wait before doing any heavy lifting and the like but that is so you don't re-open the entry site and bleed.

Any idea?

JT

obrules15
04-30-2008, 07:47
Okay, this may sound like a crazy question but someone must know the answer. I give blood regularly and they called me in for a donation right before I was to leave for a dive trip. I didn't go in but it did bring up the question of whether there is an appropriate amount of time there should be between giving blood and diving (with nitrox). I know there is a recommended 24 hour wait before doing any heavy lifting and the like but that is so you don't re-open the entry site and bleed.

Any idea?

JT

No problems like that, just how you feel. I tend to pass out three days or so after I give blood so if it leaves you feeling weak I'd wait but as far as the puncture site there is no risk.

MD,MD

John Yaskowich
04-30-2008, 08:53
From the DAN Medical FAQ:
Diving After Donating Blood

Q:If I donate a pint of blood how soon afterward is it safe to dive? A:Immediately following blood donation, the volume of circulating blood is reduced. Provided the donor eats and drinks normally, blood volume returns to normal within 24 hours. Diving within the first few hours after donating blood is not advisable because of the possibility that reduced blood flow could cause impaired inert gas washout after a dive, and thus an increased risk of decompression sickness. We have no reason to believe that it is necessary to wait more than 24 hours after donation before scuba diving.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=201

Doesn't directly answer about reopening the puncture site but IMO/IME if it will survive heavy lifting / exercise after 24 hrs, diving should be OK. (I dove about 48hrs after my latest donation - no problems)

jterry
04-30-2008, 09:23
Thanks! That answers my question!

DUnder
04-30-2008, 09:37
Thanks good topic, answered questions I also had.

reactive
04-30-2008, 11:37
Drinking lots of water immediately replaces the "fluid" you lost during a blood donation. I think if you hydrate yourself properly as you would normally before diving, you should be fine.

cummings66
04-30-2008, 12:28
It takes time to up your blood volume, but the general rules which say 24 hours are good to abide by. I do it that way and I'm fine, never had a problem to date.

matt151617
05-08-2008, 16:23
Personally, I wouldn't do it, because it makes me feel weak and lethargic. I wouldn't worry about the puncture site. Unless you have clotting problems or take blood thinners (don't forget aspirin is a blood thinner), you shouldn't have to worry. The water pressure is pressing down against the puncture site anyways.

terrillja
05-08-2008, 16:45
Haven't had any issues with diving 48 hrs later. As long as I drink lots of water and get electrolytes back into my system I'm good.

Sounder
05-08-2008, 17:38
I've donated many gallons of blood since I was 17 years old and haven't had real issues diving afterward. I try not to dive the same day I donate, and always hyper-hydrate before and after I give. Other than that, occassionally I'll feel a bit more tired but nothing uncomfortable.

lisacay
05-15-2008, 12:40
hey, good question, i usually just avoid giving right before a trip, but it is nice to know it would be ok.

elijahb
05-15-2008, 13:39
From the DAN Medical FAQ:
Diving After Donating Blood

Q:If I donate a pint of blood how soon afterward is it safe to dive? A:Immediately following blood donation, the volume of circulating blood is reduced. Provided the donor eats and drinks normally, blood volume returns to normal within 24 hours. Diving within the first few hours after donating blood is not advisable because of the possibility that reduced blood flow could cause impaired inert gas washout after a dive, and thus an increased risk of decompression sickness. We have no reason to believe that it is necessary to wait more than 24 hours after donation before scuba diving.

DAN Divers Alert Network : Diving After Donating Blood (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=201)

Doesn't directly answer about reopening the puncture site but IMO/IME if it will survive heavy lifting / exercise after 24 hrs, diving should be OK. (I dove about 48hrs after my latest donation - no problems)

Thanks I was wondering about this