PDA

View Full Version : Headache

bates28
05-01-2008, 06:28
Hey i went diving sunday and every since i have had headaches will these pass by or is this common thanks guys.

Largo
05-01-2008, 08:09
Persistent headache can be a symptom of Decompression Sickness.

You should call Divers Alert Network at 1-919-684-2948, ext. 222 Tell them about your dive, and headaches. It might be nothing, but they are trained to help you determine if that is the case.

If I experienced headaches after diving, I would drink water, avoid strenuous activities, and go see my family doctor without delay.

cummings66
05-01-2008, 12:15
A common reason for headaches is CO2, you get that by working hard under water, or skip breathing, or trying tricks to get better air consumption. Tricks like breathing deep and VERY slow will almost always cause a diver to have a headache. If you were trying to use very little air I'll bet that's why you have a headache now.

However, that is not always the case. Depending on dive profile you can experience DCS. I would call DAN myself and see what they have to say. Download your dive, or have the profile on hand when you talk to them.

A regular doctor may not be familiar enough to correctly diagnose the condition if it was diving related.

Sounder
05-01-2008, 12:46
DAN's phone numbers:
919-684-4326
919-682-8111
(These are great to program into your cell phone!!)

I echo the others. CO2 is a definite possibility and, depending on your profiles, DCS could be too.

What was your diving like that day (profiles)? Have you dived since then?

Breathe normally from now on... time and time again it's proven that if you try to conserve air, you'll end up using more - and you can get headaches and other issues.

I would expect a CO2 headache to have gone away by now, but again, it could still be hanging around. DEFINITELY drink a TON of water and continue doing that until you speak with DAN. I'd also avoid alcohol until you know more.

DUnder
05-01-2008, 12:53
All very good information, if in doubt seek medical help.

mixahl
05-01-2008, 13:27
Echo all the advise given...4 days of headaches is kinda long. How severe is the pain? taking any meds?

cummings66
05-01-2008, 17:26
Looking on the positive side, he could have a sinus problem that the diving made flare up. But, 4 days is a bit long. Here's what a Nurse told me once. If it impacts your enjoyment of life, or what you can do, then you need to seek out a doctor.

Largo
05-01-2008, 20:54
If it impacts your enjoyment of life, or what you can do, then you need to seek out a doctor.

...Or a divorce attorney.

harb99
05-01-2008, 20:56
If it impacts your enjoyment of life, or what you can do, then you need to seek out a doctor.

...Or a divorce attorney.

ouch - but funny :)