PDA

View Full Version : Wreck found off Namibia

terrillja
05-01-2008, 10:40
Just saw this:
Shipwreck loaded with treasure found off Namibia - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/05/01/Namibia.shipwreck.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories)

Who's in for a treasure trip?

WINDHOEK, Namibia (AP) -- Geologists searching for diamonds have stumbled upon a shipwreck loaded with gold and silver coins, ivory and cannons to fend off pirates.
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/WORLD/africa/05/01/Namibia.shipwreck.ap/art.shipwreck.ap.jpgAn archaeologist displays shipwreck loot: a Spanish gold coin, three Portuguese silver coins and brass dividers.

An archaelogist told The Associated Press on Thursday that the ship dates back some 500 years -- around the time Vasco de Gama and Columbus were plying the waters of the New World.
The Namdeb Diamond Corp. had reported Wednesday that geologists discovered the shipwreck on April 1 during a search for diamonds off Namibia's southwest coast.
Astrolabes and other period navigational tools were discovered.
An astrolabe was the forerunner of the sextant and was used to measure the maximum angle between the sun and the horizon, thus enabling the seafarers to establish how far north or south they were.
Spanish gold coins, Portuguese silver coins minted in the late 1400s or early 1500s were found, as well as dividers used for measuring distance on a map during navigation.
The reverse of the some of the gold coins depicts Ferdinand and Isabella, two Spanish monarchs of the time.

Dive4Fun
05-02-2008, 09:05
I'd definitely love to stumble across that.

matt151617
05-02-2008, 12:09

Yeah same here. That'd make a dive trip just a bit better.

elijahb
05-25-2008, 06:13

Yeah same here. That'd make a dive trip just a bit better.
I think it might be the trip

scubasamurai
05-25-2008, 10:58
better be quiet because the spanish goverment might seize all that gold because they have rights to it!!! time to do some reasure hunting ourselves as well