PDA

View Full Version : Best way to attach/wear a compass?

TX1Chica
05-01-2008, 14:19
You guys may have answered this before, but I can't find it. I would like to get a new compass, what is the best way to attach/ wear a compass? (if it matters, I have a wrist computer)

Sounder
05-01-2008, 14:28
You guys may have answered this before, but I can't find it. I would like to get a new compass, what is the best way to attach/ wear a compass? (if it matters, I have a wrist computer)

I always keep my compass on my wrist. When I'm going very exact navigation (like a flag course or research survey), it's easy to just take it off and hold it. For all over navigation, I just run it on my wrist.

DiverMAN
05-01-2008, 14:31

I always keep my compass on my wrist. When I'm going very exact navigation (like a flag course or research survey), it's easy to just take it off and hold it. For all over navigation, I just run it on my wrist.
I also say wear it on your wrist too...

CompuDude
05-01-2008, 14:45

Yup, me too.

Best compass rig out there is the Suunto SK-7 in a DSS mount. Low profile, glows brightly for a long time when charged, reads well even tilted. Durable. Seriously the best way to go, IMO... and many others.

I know people who really like their compass on a retractor, but I've seen too many retractors fail to trust them.

Only downsides are (a) it's one more thing to strap on your wrist, and (b) as with anything on your wrist, you have to be momentarily careful when putting your arm through the shoulder straps of your rig. As far as downsides go, that's pretty slim. ;)

ChrisA
05-01-2008, 15:01

On the left wrist, attached with bungee cord.

This is as simple as possable because any other type of compass mount still requires you to place your hand where you can see it but also rquires you to to first grab the compass, with compas on the wrist you get to skip the "grab" step. So there is less motion, less drag, less effort and less air used. The compass is likey the one instrument you look at the most.

ChrisA
05-01-2008, 15:07
[quote=TX1Chica;166886]
I...When I'm going very exact navigation (like a flag course or research survey), it's easy to just take it off and hold it. For all over navigation, I just run it on my wrist.

I do the same thing but haven't seen anyone else who takes their compass off. Locally we have a few reefs that reqire a few minutes of swimming over featurless white sand. With a compas hand held I can usaully hit these even if the vis is poor. I used to own and sometimes race a sailboat. Spent many hours and days following a compass.

TX1Chica
05-01-2008, 16:13
OK, so wrist it is. Now if I can just remember how to use the thing, I'll be alright.
I'll practice next dive.
I almost have enough posts that maybe Larry will be buying me a new compass:clap::partysmiley::partyguy:

TX1Chica
05-01-2008, 16:24
"Best compass rig out there is the Suunto SK-7 in a DSS mount. Low profile, glows brightly for a long time when charged, reads well even tilted. Durable. Seriously the best way to go, IMO... and many others."

I'm guessing Larry won't have one of these?

CompuDude
05-01-2008, 16:41
"Best compass rig out there is the Suunto SK-7 in a DSS mount. Low profile, glows brightly for a long time when charged, reads well even tilted. Durable. Seriously the best way to go, IMO... and many others."

I'm guessing Larry won't have one of these?

Sadly, no. Aqualung distributes the SK7 in the US, and ST won't have anything to do with AL (and thus Suunto) for various policy reasons.

You can get the SK7 at LeisurePro (twitch) or a local shop, and then order the DSS mount from DeepSeaSupply directly.

mixahl
05-01-2008, 16:48
Why won't scubatoys be a dealer for suunto?

Charles R
05-01-2008, 16:51
There is an option the ST dose carry Dive Rite Compass, Accessories: Compass, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Dive_Rite_Compass).

I do recommend the Bungee Idea.

Splitlip
05-01-2008, 17:07
:smilie40:

CompuDude
05-01-2008, 17:11

Because the only way to carry Suunto is to be a dealer for AquaLung.

And AquaLung has some truly terrible policies that they inflict on their retailers. ST used to carry AL, but there was an "issue" and they have since sworn off any dealing with AL.

Larry has posted info about the split in a couple of threads if you want to search for it, but suffice to say they won't be carrying AL any time soon.

Personally, aside from the SK-7, I don't have much use for Suunto or Aqualung, so it suits me fine.

Dive Rong
05-01-2008, 19:10
You can also get the SK-7 pre-mounted in the DSS Boot from Dive Rite Express (http://www.diveriteexpress.com)

elijahb
05-02-2008, 19:53
Why would you want a separate compass I like one integrated with my air and depth gages

mitsuguy
05-02-2008, 20:30
Why would you want a separate compass I like one integrated with my air and depth gages

a little harder to nav with is the only issue I have there...

however, scubatoys has: Dive Rite Compass, Accessories: Compass, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Compass (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Dive_Rite_Compass) as someone already mentioned... the cool thing about it is that it comes with a HP hose mount, standard wrist band watch, and the ability to bungee it as well... for most diving, I leave it on the HP hose and if I need it, its there, and if I need/want to do something nav specific, I bungee it on my wrist... its one less step when getting suited up...

rawalker
05-02-2008, 20:32
I have a compass on a small diving slate with a retractor. I know a lot of people have problems with retractors but so far with the light weight of the slate/compass on the retractor is working out well. I find the retangular shape of the slate helps me to keep the compass positioned well and having the slate for nav notes isn't a bad option.

Splitlip
05-02-2008, 21:03

a little harder to nav with is the only issue I have there...

however, scubatoys has: Dive Rite Compass, Accessories: Compass, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Compass (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Dive_Rite_Compass) as someone already mentioned... the cool thing about it is that it comes with a HP hose mount, standard wrist band watch, and the ability to bungee it as well... for most diving, I leave it on the HP hose and if I need it, its there, and if I need/want to do something nav specific, I bungee it on my wrist... its one less step when getting suited up...
:smiley20:
Very good points.

Fireplug
05-05-2008, 18:14
Isn't the quote, "You can get a good look at a rump roast by sticking your head up a cow's ass, wouldn't you rather take your butcher's word for it"?

Who'd want to stick their head up a butcher's rear end?, I don't believe that is physically possible,...

Halleluia, where's the Tylenol?!!! :smiley2:

spatman
05-05-2008, 18:36
Best compass rig out there is the Suunto SK-7 in a DSS mount. Low profile, glows brightly for a long time when charged, reads well even tilted. Durable. Seriously the best way to go, IMO... and many others.

i'm one of those others. i have the same compass setup, and i love it.

hooligan
05-05-2008, 18:43
My wife and I both have Suunto SK-7s in DSS boots. That compass is pretty sweet. The fit and finish on it just seems a bit better than other compasses. But for what they charge for them, they should be. Also, DSS makes a pink boot for the SK-7 if you're into that....

dallasdivergirl
05-05-2008, 22:02
I took the top off of my veo 180nx console & ran a bungee thru it & then that is on a retractor.

One side is compass, the other is my back up computer. I wear my watch & my atom 2 on my wrists.

wolfen42
05-05-2008, 22:52
When we were doing our navigation dives it was actually very easy to have the compass on our wrist and hold that wrist with your other hand to put the compass in a nice usable position while swimming horizontally.

texdiveguy
05-05-2008, 22:53

A wrist mounted compass is best in most situations.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-06-2008, 09:14

I also have one of those. I don't like it at all. It's fine for getting your bearings occasionally and horrible for navigation. A "real" compass, like the SK-7 mentioned, is on my buy list.

Edit: Sorry- I think I misunderstood your post. I am railing against the electronic compass intgrated in my dive computer. I have no problems with a console mounted "real" compass.

spatman
05-06-2008, 09:20

personally, i found adding the compass to the console mount made it cumbersome and bulky. also, to hold the console out in front of me while navigating required a longer hose than what i currently have on my SPG. this longer hose creates more drag, which means more work, therefore faster air consumption.

NucMed Man
05-06-2008, 10:06
Ok, if most of the recommendations are for wrist model, does this mean that most of you are using console mounted computer (if have one)? My reason for asking is that I am trying to decide which way to go for the computer and don't want to have both wrist full of gear.:help:

spatman
05-06-2008, 10:12
Ok, if most of the recommendations are for wrist model, does this mean that most of you are using console mounted computer (if have one)? My reason for asking is that I am trying to decide which way to go for the computer and don't want to have both wrist full of gear.:help:

i have my compass on the left forearm and computer on the right forearm. i wouldn't really call them "full of gear", since both are basically like wearing big watches.

btdiver
05-06-2008, 13:13
I made my own using 3/16" Bungee. Bought 5 Feet from here for $1. Worked pretty well for a cheap solution
3/16" Black Bungee Shock Cord - Great Prices - eBay (item 320244743477 end time May-25-08 19:49:11 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/3-16-Black-Bungee-Shock-Cord-Great-Prices_W0QQitemZ320244743477QQihZ011QQcategoryZ109 492QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)

CompuDude
05-06-2008, 16:47

i have my compass on the left forearm and computer on the right forearm. i wouldn't really call them "full of gear", since both are basically like wearing big watches.

Ditto. Not really an issue to have gear on both wrists, and better than having gear running all the way up your arm. Plus some things do better on one arm than the other (computer is best on right arm, which leaves left arm free for holding light to shine on computer, and for manipulating inflators and dump valves for adjusting bouyancy).

A friend of mine rigged up a compass mounted to his computer's wrist strap so he has them both on the same arm just by tilting. Pretty nifty for a quick reference, but I don't think it would be great for longer navigation runs.

imasinker
05-06-2008, 19:17
I use my dive computer on my right arm so my left is free to use the inflator deflator when ascending and descending. I use a wrist mount boot compass with bungee straps on my left since I don't use the compass alot and It keeps from having a bunch of gear on one arm. Also when i am using the compass, I can also see my computer at the same time while diving normaly ( hands semi clasped out front). I like this because i dont have to reach down to grab my consol when I need to use a compass. Just a different preference that works for me. I have a dive x compass. Not that I think It is any better than other brands but it came with a lp hose adapter, wrist boot, and watch style band for 60.00 canadian. that means you can try a few different stlyes to see how you like It. Luminous and hey It works well enough.

TX1Chica
05-12-2008, 14:55
ok, thanks for all the advice. I haven't been on the board for about a week (had to actully work). I think I will get the compass from ST. I think the suunto one sounds pretty good, but for as much as I plan on using it I think the ST one will work fine. And with my $50 gift for my post count, it will be pretty cheap:)

DOWNDEEP73
05-12-2008, 14:57
ok, thanks for all the advice. I haven't been on the board for about a week (had to actully work). I think I will get the compass from ST. I think the suunto one sounds pretty good, but for as much as I plan on using it I think the ST one will work fine. And with my $50 gift for my post count, it will be pretty cheap:)
You Go Girl!

Geoff_T
05-12-2008, 15:42
I might be the acceptation here when I say that I keep mine on the back of my pressure gauges. I do sometimes use the wrist boot but for simple day-to-day use it stays on the gauges. Now that is only really because I do not have a computer yet. When I stop being stingy and when the wife lets me spend the money on a comp I will be putting that on the back of my analog gauges (I like the idea of a backup for if the comp dies. And permanently moving the compass to my wrist.

huvrr
05-13-2008, 09:37
I wear mine on the wrist because I can get it further out in front of me and it is easier to see than when on my console.

maddhadder
04-27-2009, 11:35
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it made sense to post my question in this one. To all those who use a wrist mount, do any of you wear it on the back side of your hand? There was an instructor teaching a class this weekend and it looked like he was demonstrating how to use it as if it were on the back of his hand. I've been thinking of going the SK7/DSS route, and now seeing this option pushes me more in this direction. Any opinions/experience wearing a compass on the back of your hand?

CompuDude
04-28-2009, 02:58
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it made sense to post my question in this one. To all those who use a wrist mount, do any of you wear it on the back side of your hand? There was an instructor teaching a class this weekend and it looked like he was demonstrating how to use it as if it were on the back of his hand. I've been thinking of going the SK7/DSS route, and now seeing this option pushes me more in this direction. Any opinions/experience wearing a compass on the back of your hand?

Nope, on my wrist. Normal wrist watch position, although an inch or two farther up up my arm to stay clear of the wrist seals on my DS. Sometimes I'll turn it in a bit, though, so I can look down and see it from a bird's eye view instead of looking across it through the side window.

ColdPass
04-28-2009, 12:29
I've been diving with mine on a retractable lanyard. I've never tried the wrist. I typically have a bottom timer/thermometer on one wrist and my computer on the other, though, so those spots are getting crowded.

Scout
04-29-2009, 14:29
I have a compass on a small diving slate with a retractor. I know a lot of people have problems with retractors but so far with the light weight of the slate/compass on the retractor is working out well. I find the retangular shape of the slate helps me to keep the compass positioned well and having the slate for nav notes isn't a bad option.

I've got one of these too. Theoretically, it's a great combo. Practically, though, the compass can't be tilted at all, in my experience, without it sticking. Until I buy a SK-7, you'll be able to recognize me as the diver constantly banging on his compass to get an accurate reading.