PDA

View Full Version : Silver Creek Lake

mm2002
05-01-2008, 20:04
Thought I'd start a new thread as this plan progresses. (see "Mystery Lake Diving")
I just got back from checking things out a little more, especially now that the rains have slacked off a bit. The guy that owns the place was there, and we had a very interesting talk this evening. He say's that it is approx. 8 to 10 acres in size, is fed from two natural underground springs, plus the creek that feeds it. He's done a little more research into the history of the lake, and thinks that is probably 30+ ft deep in the main channels. Since he purchased the land/lake 4 years ago, he has stocked it with approx. 100+ea. albino catfish, channel catfish, crappie, and Bass of various species. As of this evening, I'd say the vis is from 6 to 8 ft. I didn't actually bring a thermometer, but the temp is pretty warm. I'd guess around 60F+. It's much warmer that Table Rock is right now. Anyway, I got clearance for around 6 to 8 divers. The only weekend we couldn't do this is June 7th and 8th. Anything else is pretty much open. I'm thinking June 14th and 15th? It's totally open right now, but I'd like to see what we can put together. The guy wants data recorded regarding depths, fish species, etc., so it isn't going to be a real technical deal. Maybe a lot of fun? Here's some pics I took this evening:

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/silvercreeklake/pic1.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/silvercreeklake/pic2.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/silvercreeklake/pic3.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/silvercreeklake/pic4.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/silvercreeklake/pic5.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/silvercreeklake/pic6.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/silvercreeklake/pic7.jpg

mixahl
05-01-2008, 20:14
I never dove fresh water but it does look enticing...

harb99
05-01-2008, 20:19
looks like fun - wish I lived closer, I would step up and go - just too far away - especially right now with the gas prices the way they are and my 10-15 mpg truck :)

mm2002
05-01-2008, 20:31
I never dove fresh water but it does look enticing... Well, I wouldn't actually call it "fresh". :smiley36:
If ya don't mind a little silt and algae though.....

snagel
05-18-2008, 16:23
Mark,

Any update on when you think you might try and put something together? SteveC and his wife and myself are interested in helping out on this dive.

S. Nagel

mm2002
05-18-2008, 17:25
Mark,

Any update on when you think you might try and put something together? SteveC and his wife and myself are interested in helping out on this dive.

S. Nagel

Yes, and I had every intention of talking to you about it yesterday. I guess it slipped my mind. We're going to plan it on the weekend of June 14th/15th or 21st/22nd. Let me know what would work out best for you all, and we'll go from there. I think it would make for a fun Saturday or Sunday dive, and we could still go the TR on the other day and get in a good dive or three.

skdvr
05-18-2008, 20:52
Is this place near the Branson area??? I will have to look at my calendar at work tomorrow and see what I have going on if you still have room left...

Phil

PepeDiver
05-18-2008, 22:11
same here....wife will be out of town 14/15 with the kids so I'm free to dive. Can only do day trips though so I don't have to kennel the dog.

mm2002
05-19-2008, 07:33
It's about 15 minutes from Branson.

As far as how many divers we need, I think 6 would be good, but a couple more would be fine. I want to make sure everyone is in pairs, because there is probably going to be entanglement hazards. I'm assuming this because it used to be fished heavily, and they've sunk some trees for fish cover. I'm assuming the vis is going to be pretty good, but I don't know.

Right now, the possibil;ities are:

me and wife
snagel
stevec and wife
skdvr
PepeDiver

That's 7, so we'd need one more unless someone wants to do a threesome.

PepeDiver
05-19-2008, 09:09
my mom's husband (feels weird to call him my step dad since I had known him for years before they ever met) is tentatively in with us. He's active duty Army stationed in Mississippi so things could change for him between now and then. But for right now hes in.

edit: my fingers got ahead of my brain! Doesn't take much!!

mm2002
05-19-2008, 09:42
my mom's husband (feels weird to call him my step dad since I had known him for years before they ever met) is tentatively in with us. He's active duty Army stationed in Mississippi so things could change for him between now and then. But for right now hes in.

edit: my fingers got ahead of my brain! Doesn't take much!!

That would make an even 8, so that would work. I think we'll call that the maximum though.

SteveC
05-19-2008, 17:01
I'm up for the threesome, but I'll have to ask my wife first..... :)

snagel
05-19-2008, 17:12
SteveC I know your wife (she's my sister-in-law); somehow, I'm thinking the threesome your talking about is out of the question.

S. Nagel

mm2002
05-19-2008, 18:02
SteveC I know your wife (she's my sister-in-law); somehow, I'm thinking the threesome your talking about is out of the question.

S. Nagel

That coming from a guy who has this as his prize scuba pic:

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/snagelsdream.jpg

I'll have to admit though, it's my favorite in your album! :smiley36:

snagel
05-19-2008, 18:19
Hey,

I'm thinking about buying a nice pair of fins like she had; so, I wanted to get a good picture of them in action so I could send it to scubatoys so they would know what I wanted.

Actually, SteveC took the picture....you see what I have to put up with, with him around. All I'm trying to do is live the good life and read my bible, but no, I'm subjected to the sins of the world.

Okay, wifes gone....

You have to admit, that's a nice butt.

S. Nagel

mm2002
05-19-2008, 19:38
Hey,

I'm thinking about buying a nice pair of fins like she had; so, I wanted to get a good picture of them in action so I could send it to scubatoys so they would know what I wanted.

Actually, SteveC took the picture....you see what I have to put up with, with him around. All I'm trying to do is live the good life and read my bible, but no, I'm subjected to the sins of the world.

Okay, wifes gone....

S. Nagel

Oh, don't hand me that story. Those are full foot fins, and you know damn good and well you don't want 'em! :smiley36:

Another thing you should note; nowhere in the bible does it say that a guy can't enjoy a nice butt. I bet Eve had a nice butt, eh?

harb99
05-19-2008, 20:37

S. Nagel

not bad :)

skdvr
05-19-2008, 22:14
damn it I forgot to look at my schedule today at work... I will check it out tomorrow and let you know...

I promise...

Phil

PepeDiver
05-19-2008, 22:38
damn it I forgot to look at my schedule today at work... I will check it out tomorrow and let you know...

I promise...

Phil

see now if you were to play around on here while at work you would have remembered to check your schedule! Sounds like a good argument for goofing off to me!

SteveC
05-19-2008, 22:56
Looks like we can do the 14th & 15th, but not 21st &22nd.

mm2002
05-20-2008, 06:54
14th and 15th would work for us I think.

PepeDiver
05-20-2008, 08:54
thats the best weekend for me as well

skdvr
05-20-2008, 09:34
I am out for either weekend... I have to work unfortunately....

Have fun and be safe...

Phil

mm2002
05-20-2008, 15:51

Have fun and be safe...

Phil

Sorry to hear that Phil, but we'll still get to dive in July. This little lake thing isn't going to be anything spectacular anyway, so you're not missing much. It'll still be a lot of fun though. Hell, any diving is a lot of fun to me.

snagel
05-20-2008, 16:24
14th & 15th works for me....15th is Father's Day, so, I won't get any crap about going diving...It's my day!!!!!

mm2002
05-20-2008, 17:46
14th & 15th works for me....15th is Father's Day, so, I won't get any crap about going diving...It's my day!!!!!

Yeah, I forgot about that! We can do whatever we want that day!:smiley20:

OK, here's the deal with us. I just spoke with the wife, and she has Sunday off, but works Saturday until 3:00. She can meet us wherever we are after work Saturday, and Sunday is completely open. I was thinking maybe a little diving at Tablerock Saturday, and do the little lake project Sunday. How does that sound? Also, anyone who so desires is invited to our place Saturday evening for a hamburger and hotdog cookout. I'll need a head count for that so I'll know how much food to get. I'll also need to know if anyone needs me to get extra tanks, and what size. I can get as many as we need, but I'll need to know ahead of time so I can have them reserved. That would eliminate the problem of anyone having to run into town for a fill. This is starting to sound like a plan now!

snagel
05-20-2008, 18:40
Sounds good to me. We will probably have to do the Sunday dive early so that we can get on the road heading home. I'll talk to SteveC and see what he has in mind. We may try and camp someplace or get a hotel. It's about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive for me home so probably the latest about 3:00 I'd like to be heading out. I'm thinking it is more like a 4-5 hour trip for SteveC; so, he may want to get going a little sooner. I'm in for the gracious dinner. What are you thinking as far as diving Table Rock - Dewey Short or someplace else?

I think I'm good for tanks. I have 3 tanks and might be able to borrow 1 more. That would get me through one day. Might have to get a couple fills at the end of the day. Is the Marina open, yet?

S. Nagel

skdvr
05-20-2008, 18:52

Have fun and be safe...

Phil

Sorry to hear that Phil, but we'll still get to dive in July. This little lake thing isn't going to be anything spectacular anyway, so you're not missing much. It'll still be a lot of fun though. Hell, any diving is a lot of fun to me.

Just so you know we will be down at Tablerock from July 5th through the 13th. I am planning on probably 2 days during the week of trying to sneak a dive or two in. It will be a little tougher this year since my wife will be unable to dive, but I am going to try. Then at least try to make the 12th a DIVE DAY. We will talk more as it gets closer...

Phil

mm2002
05-20-2008, 19:06
Sounds good to me. We will probably have to do the Sunday dive early so that we can get on the road heading home. I'll talk to SteveC and see what he has in mind. We may try and camp someplace or get a hotel. It's about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive for me home so probably the latest about 3:00 I'd like to be heading out. I'm thinking it is more like a 4-5 hour trip for SteveC; so, he may want to get going a little sooner. I'm in for the gracious dinner. What are you thinking as far as diving Table Rock - Dewey Short or someplace else?

I think I'm good for tanks. I have 3 tanks and might be able to borrow 1 more. That would get me through one day. Might have to get a couple fills at the end of the day. Is the Marina open, yet?

S. Nagel

I was taking into consideration the driving time for you guys. I really think we can do what we need to do at Silvercreek in a couple or three hours, so if we all got there around 9:00ish Sunday, you guys could easily be back on the road by 1:00 to 1:30. As far as the Saturday TR dives, Dewey is pretty much the only place to shore dive right now that I know of. If we go by boat, it's going to make it a little more difficult for me to pick the wife up around 3:30, not to mention that my boat would probably only hold 4 people comfortably with everyone's scuba gear and enough tanks for a days diving, so that would probably mean an extra boat rental. Not saying I'm against that idea, because we've really been wanting to do the Duck Island dive, but I was just trying to keep things simple.

As far as tanks go, yes, State Park Marina is open now, and has fills. It would probably make life easier for everyone if we had a bunch of full tanks ready to go though. It would eliminate a lot of traveling and BS.

PepeDiver
05-20-2008, 21:29
i'm good with doing Silvercreek on that Sunday. The wife is out of town for something like 10 days with the kids so I'm pretty flexible. I just can't do overnight trips so I don't have to kennel the dog! As far as tanks go I'm a poor boy with no tanks to my name yet. That should change in September but until then I'm a renter! So if you can drum me up some tanks and let me know how much $$ I'd graciously appreciate it. My buddy will need tanks too (he'd probably appreciate me mentioning that).

As far as time goes I'm not too concerned on how long it takes to drive back. I live not far from snagel so we've got about the same amount of drive time home.

mm2002
05-21-2008, 07:00
i'm good with doing Silvercreek on that Sunday. The wife is out of town for something like 10 days with the kids so I'm pretty flexible. I just can't do overnight trips so I don't have to kennel the dog! As far as tanks go I'm a poor boy with no tanks to my name yet. That should change in September but until then I'm a renter! So if you can drum me up some tanks and let me know how much $$ I'd graciously appreciate it. My buddy will need tanks too (he'd probably appreciate me mentioning that).

As far as time goes I'm not too concerned on how long it takes to drive back. I live not far from snagel so we've got about the same amount of drive time home.

That sounds good. I'll plan on getting a couple of tanks each for you and your buddy. That should be more than plenty for Sunday.

mm2002
05-21-2008, 07:02
Just so you know we will be down at Tablerock from July 5th through the 13th. I am planning on probably 2 days during the week of trying to sneak a dive or two in. It will be a little tougher this year since my wife will be unable to dive, but I am going to try. Then at least try to make the 12th a DIVE DAY. We will talk more as it gets closer...

Phil

I'll plan on it Phil, just let me know a little closer to time and we'll work out the details.

mm2002
05-21-2008, 18:57
Here's what I have so far. Let's kinda use this list and change it as any plans change, just to stay somewhat organized. This way, nobody will screw anything up (meaning me:smiley36:)

Saturday 14th

Snagel
Stevec and wife
Me
My wife (after 3:30pm)

I bring enough tanks for me and wifey.

Burgers and dogs at our place Saturday eve. (includes free beer and sodas!)

Sunday 15th

Snagel
SteveC and wife
Me and wife
Pepediver & buddy

I bring 4 extra tanks for Peppediver and his buddy

That's what we have for now, eh?

snagel
05-22-2008, 05:00
This is good for me. mm2002, you are going far above. Let us know if we can bring anything for the dinner. I'm thinking we (SteveC, wife, and me) will be camping at the State Park. We will be down Friday night and probably meet up with you at Dewey Sat morning. We can get together on a time as it get's closer. I'm pretty sure we have enough tanks for all of us.

S. Nagel

mm2002
05-22-2008, 09:07
This is good for me. mm2002, you are going far above. Let us know if we can bring anything for the dinner. I'm thinking we (SteveC, wife, and me) will be camping at the State Park. We will be down Friday night and probably meet up with you at Dewey Sat morning. We can get together on a time as it get's closer. I'm pretty sure we have enough tanks for all of us.

S. Nagel

Hey, don't worry about the dinner, it's just burgers and dogs....nothing fancy. I have been told that I make a pretty darn good burger though!
I'll see what time I can meet you guys at Dewey Saturday. That pends only on my baby sitter.

mm2002
06-09-2008, 07:36
Just wanted to update this thread so everyone's on the same page for next weekend. We also have another diver coming out for Saturday, so that'll make an even 6 after my wife gets there. Here's what I have:

Saturday 14th

Snagel
Stevec and wife
Me
My wife (after 3:00pm)
Our friend Brad

I bring enough tanks for myself and my wife, and Brad.

Burgers and dogs at our place Saturday eve. (includes free beer and sodas!)

Sunday 15th

Snagel
SteveC and wife
Me and wife
Pepediver & buddy

I bring 4 extra tanks for Peppediver and his buddy for Sunday.

I'd like to do a little introduction about my friend, Brad. He's been a very close friend since highschool (has it really been 28 years???). He completed AOW cert back in 1986 (back when that wasn't an easy task), and has been diving literally all over the world. Now, he hasn't been in the water for several years, and Saturday is a big day for him! He's the guy who tried to talk me into scuba way back then, but I would never make the time to do it. This will be a cool experience.

I look forward to seeing you all there!

snagel
06-09-2008, 17:50
Sounds Great....old buddies from back in the day are definately important. Glad to hear you guys have stayed in touch. We'll see ya Saturday Morning.

Snagel

PepeDiver
06-10-2008, 08:08
I'm 99% sure my buddy isn't going to be able to get away from the army long enough to come up. I'm having doubts about whether I can afford the drive down and back.....I'm working on it though. MM: let me know what I'll owe ya for the tanks for Sunday should I still be able to make it. Gotta throw an entire sales pitch at the wife to talk her into still letting me come down!

mm2002
06-16-2008, 18:50
I guess I'll cap this thread by saying the Silver Creek dive was a bust. Absolutely zero vis at any decent depth. We'll probably not be diving there again. On the upside, I got to meet Pepediver, and get a little more diving in with Snagel and SteveC. Thank you all, and I really enjoyed getting together! All in all, good times!

snagel
06-16-2008, 19:22
Hey it was still an adventure. Although the viz absolutely sucked, there was great people. Do you think the rain on Friday might have messed it up? I've seen quarry's go completely to 0 viz after a hard soaking rain. I'd keep an eye on it and if we ever have a couple weeks with no rain try it again. You might be surprised.

Snagel

mm2002
06-16-2008, 19:37
Hey it was still an adventure. Although the viz absolutely sucked, there was great people. Do you think the rain on Friday might have messed it up? I've seen quarry's go completely to 0 viz after a hard soaking rain. I'd keep an eye on it and if we ever have a couple weeks with no rain try it again. You might be surprised.

Snagel

Hey brother Nagel, I'm all about giving it another shot if conditions improve. It's hard to tell, but you're right, it could have been the rain. Maybe we'll try it again. At least we all know how to get in and out now! :smiley36:

SteveC
06-16-2008, 22:37
Thanks again for the hospitality. We had a great weekend. Maybe some weekend we can all head over to Mermet or something.

mm2002
06-17-2008, 07:21
Thanks again for the hospitality. We had a great weekend. Maybe some weekend we can all head over to Mermet or something.

No problem, it was my pleasure. It was really great to meet you and the wife. The Mermet deal sounds great, we'll have to plan it.

PepeDiver
06-17-2008, 09:27
Heck it was a good time other than not being able to see anything!! And that storm I drove through on the way home!! If it were to clear up I'd come back down and try it again. I was falling on my face down there before I ever knew I was near the bottom! And getting to meet ya'll finally was worth the trip in itself.

snagel
06-17-2008, 19:16
Talk about a storm....I stopped in Collins to get fuel. When I got back on the road I noticed a wall cloud in front of me. As I drove around the new highway there it was. Fingers coming out of the wall cloud and wham a tornado hit the ground. People in front of me pulled over. Not sure to watch the tornado or because they didn't know what to do. For me, I floored it. I couldn't beleive that old truck could get over 100 mph. It did and I figured no cop would pull me over.

How crazy is that?

Snagel

mm2002
06-17-2008, 19:37
Talk about a storm....I stopped in California to get beer. When I got back on the road I noticed a tall cloud in front of me. As I drove around the new highway there it was. Fingers coming out of the tall cloud and wham a toronado hit the ground. People in front of me pulled over. Not sure to watch the toronado or because they didn't know what to do. For me, I floored it. I couldn't beleive that old truck could get over 100 mpg. It did and I figured no cop would pull me over.

How crazy is that?

Snagel

Wow! reading that story IS crazy!
So.....you're saying that you went all the way to California just to buy beer? Then you saw a tall cloud? Then an Olds Toronado came flying out of the sky? Then you say your truck gets 100 mpg????? Wow man, I guess I really need to party more with you!! :smiley36:

snagel
06-18-2008, 06:42
I think your putting words in my mouth.....kinda like a true dive story, every time it is told it gets a little more far fetched. Must have something to do with the water, didn't the fisherman start that. Anyway, like SteveC says, there a two things divers lie about - one is the visibility.

Snagel

mm2002
06-18-2008, 06:48
like SteveC says, there a two things divers lie about - one is the visibility.
Snagel

There was a guy on SB that claimed he found 30 ft vis on TR last weekend! Man, we've gotta find that spot! :smiley36:

mm2002
06-18-2008, 07:53
Heck it was a good time other than not being able to see anything!! And that storm I drove through on the way home!! If it were to clear up I'd come back down and try it again. I was falling on my face down there before I ever knew I was near the bottom! And getting to meet ya'll finally was worth the trip in itself.

Very cool to get to meet you too bro! We'll look forward to next time! (without the storms and zero vis of course!)

PepeDiver
06-18-2008, 09:16
Talk about a storm....I stopped in Collins to get fuel. When I got back on the road I noticed a wall cloud in front of me. As I drove around the new highway there it was. Fingers coming out of the wall cloud and wham a tornado hit the ground. People in front of me pulled over. Not sure to watch the tornado or because they didn't know what to do. For me, I floored it. I couldn't beleive that old truck could get over 100 mph. It did and I figured no cop would pull me over.

How crazy is that?

Snagel

I thought I saw a wall cloud as I was going through that mess. But with the rain it was hard to tell. It was raining so hard I couldn't really see to find a good place to stop! Then the hail started and I was worried about the sun roof above my head so all I wanted to do was get out of it. My dogs were all kinda mad when I got home since they were outside in it when it passed through the 'Burg. One of them is at least smart enough to get into the dog house. The other one will just stand there in the rain looking in the back door! His name is Pudge but we call him Ed, from the lion king. He's had some surgeries that caused his face to be limp on one side. So his tongue hangs out like Ed's does!

cummings66
06-18-2008, 11:24
I've seen 0 vis in places that normally had 5+ feet so it might have been worth diving, just at a different date.

PepeDiver
06-18-2008, 12:19
like SteveC says, there a two things divers lie about - one is the visibility.
Snagel

There was a guy on SB that claimed he found 30 ft vis on TR last weekend! Man, we've gotta find that spot! :smiley36:

I just saw that. He must have either great eyesight or poor estimation skills!