PDA

View Full Version : Pain, pain, pain.....

fire diver
05-01-2008, 23:38
Have any of you ever wondered what it feels like to be sprayed with OC spray? Read my latest blog to find out! I'm in no shape to re-type it all. I'm going to go curl up in the fetal position now...

MySpace.com - SCUBA dude - 35 - Male - ENID, Oklahoma - www.myspace.com/solo_diver (http://www.myspace.com/solo_diver)

texdiveguy
05-01-2008, 23:44
Have any of you ever wondered what it feels like to be sprayed with OC spray? Read my latest blog to find out! I'm in no shape to re-type it all. I'm going to go curl up in the fetal position now...

MySpace.com - SCUBA dude - 35 - Male - ENID, Oklahoma - www.myspace.com/solo_diver (http://www.myspace.com/solo_diver)

Back in the 70's-80's when I was a young street cop I recall early on in my training going through a similar ordeal---I 'cry' with you! We also had some pranks we Sr. guys later would pull on rookies with Mace--lol. Hang tough!

matt151617
05-01-2008, 23:55
People don't believe me when I tell them it really is that bad. My story:

My girlfriend carries a small container of pepper spray for personal protection. She was talking about how powerful it was, and I thought it was hot, but not that hot. So we decided she'd spray a small amount on a piece of paper, and I'd dip my finger in it and wipe it across my face. I did it, it wasn't that bad, felt like hot sauce from chicken wings. But it got worse. Then really bad. Then horrible. Then excruciating. Within 2 minutes it felt like someone holding a lighter to my face.

The worst part? There's nothing you can do! Water makes it worse, I tried milk, which didn't help, and holding ice on it, it just burned through the ice. AND it gets into your respiratory tract, so you gag and cough and feel like something is caught in your throat. It was so bad I ran outside in the rain and lied with my face on the ground, and about 30 minutes later it finally died down a bit. Keep in mind this was a small smear on the side of my face. I can't imagine that in your eyes. Awful, awful stuff, if someone ever threatens you with it, do what they want!

Ryanh1801
05-02-2008, 00:12
Yes that stuff sucks.. I got sprayed with it in HS when a security guard thought spraying it all over the place when some people got into a fight was a good idea. Not looking forward to it next year when I go through academy.

Murloc
05-02-2008, 07:16
when I was a younger man in college I had a job driving around checking water meters....most of the guys would carry mace but an "old timer" used a stun gun, one of those with the little probes on the end that you touch to someone and press a button and ZAP!..reason for these tools was for dog control..no fun bending over a meter and getting your a$$ bit

me, thinking it would be cooler to have a stun gun went out and bought the same type...so far, so good

one day I got into the truck and took the stun gun and put it between the center arm rest (console) and the seat belt so it was on my right side down by my elbow..still so far, so good

I'm tooling down the road and shifted in my seat and somehow the button on the stun gun was pressed and at the same time my elbow was touching the prongs on the stun gun and....well....now it's not so far, so good

I thought my elbow exploded....

my advise?...play with mace..leave the stun gun for those with more brain cells then yours truly...

Osprey
05-02-2008, 08:27
My brother was shot in the face with mace a his high school when the security guard missed his target (GENIUS). He called me later yelling, "HOLY CRAP! That stuff SUUUUUCKS" He spent most of the day in the Nurse's office trying to get his eyes to stop watering

EuphoriaII
05-02-2008, 08:41
Ohhh that sucks. Best of luck to you

skippy11
05-03-2008, 23:03
Man that sounds awful! I have heard the Law Enforcement guys at work talk about having to go thru this type of training. They had pretty much the same experience. I feel for you.

Navy OnStar
05-04-2008, 10:21
Before deploying to the Persian Gulf, I had to go through training to be a boarding officer, to check out/stop anything that approached the Iraqi Oil terminals in the gulf. In addition to firearms we also carried pepper spray and had to be sprayed ourselves. We go sprayed and then we had to go through an obstacle course which included guys hitting us with padded batons. In short it sucked. After the initial feeling where I thought my skin was peeling off and my eyes were melting, the sweat from the course and the sting of shaving that morning were intense. once done with the course we had a wash station with baby shampoo and a cool hose. That made it flare up again and then I went to sit in the shade. Just walking back out into the sun brought it all back again. Not as intense as first being sprayed but still uncomfortable. I decided to just bear the pain and I washed continously for about 30 minutes. About 80 gallons of water later and a bottle of baby shampoo I finally felt....O.K. Several guys couldn't complete the course and failed the training.

I have a much bigger respect for pepper spray and will do anything a cop asks if ever threatened by it.

OnStar

hooligan
05-04-2008, 17:45
I was a cop before my wife and I moved to Japan. I carried pepper spray for about 2 years then I took off my duty belt. It never really seemed to work right. The bad guys that we would use it on were usually either drunk off their ass or on drugs, so the pain didn't really do anything except piss them off. Then the spray ends up contaminating all the cops dealing with the douche bag. Once we got tasers, I never used pepper spray again. It sat in the bottom of my warbag in the patrol car. The only thing the pepper spray was good for was dealing with dogs.

elijahb
05-10-2008, 15:32
I have heard that tasers are really bad

fire diver
05-10-2008, 18:00
After firing tasers, I can say that I do not want to experience that either. I've seen the barbs, and thier penetration. I've also seen way too many that spread the darts, one in the chest, one in the head when aiming center mass. That dart in my face with 50,000 volts is not a pleasant thought.

texdiveguy
05-10-2008, 18:28
I have heard that tasers are really bad

They are a far improvement over the older methods of compliance once widely used in many locals.