PDA

View Full Version : Suprema Pixsea 5.0 Megapixel Camera

mselizann
05-02-2008, 06:57
Does anyone have any experience with this camera? It's on sale for $99....

dinger340
05-02-2008, 08:06
I saw the same ad for this camera but have not been able to find any info online so that makes me leery of it. It does seem like a good price for a simple camera good to 115 ft.

mselizann
05-02-2008, 09:11
I do a lot of local quarry diving- and a lot of snorkeling while in Cayman- so it may be perfect for that....
I'm going to buy it- free shipping too

ScubaToys Larry
05-02-2008, 09:54
If you can spring about 80 bucks more... you could go with the SeaLife SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321, Underwater Cameras, SeaLife, SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeECOshotDigitalCamera) which we have had very good luck with. And the 75 foot rating on that is a tad conservative - as it's really the same housing as their 150 foot model....

So getting 6 megapixel with the features of the zoom, UW settings etc might be worthwhile, but I have no experience with the one you mentioned but I see it has no optical zoom - and on any digital... never use digital zoom, and no real accessories like flash, lenses, etc, and it does not mention focal lengths or macro modes.

Mike Mayfield
05-05-2008, 15:52
Be careful of the Suprema Pixsea camera from Scuba.com. There are several "confusing" items in the description. First, it is really a 3.2 megapixel camera, not 5.0. Also, it does not have an optical zoom at all. Ignore the information about having a "digital zoom", since all that really means is that the camera will throw away up to 87% of the useful pixels while pretending to zoom. This makes it the same as a 0.4 megapixel camera.

On the plus side, the camera is really rated to 130 ft, not 115 as listed. Also, you can add any standard SD memory card, so you can go beyond the 1GB card suggested on Scuba.com and get a 2GB card. For more information on the camera itself, see Digital cameras repository with reviews, views, news and information - DCVIEWS (http://www.dcviews.com/cameras.htm).

If you just need a simple, low-end camera, this is a good price. Just be sure you know what you are getting and don't expect great, magazine-quality pictures.

Note that this confusion is based on information from the manufacturer, not Scuba.com. I have always had good luck with Scuba.com.

mselizann
05-06-2008, 06:37
thanks- that is very helpful. I would just like a low-end camera, I'm not really into underwater photography- but if I see something neat I'd like to remember it....

hoobascooba
05-06-2008, 07:49
[edit: nevermind... i forgot to calculate 10% discount ;)]

looking for a good camera. But Larry, please clarify... what do you mean 80 bucks more, when the SeaLife ECOshot is listed "on sale" for $199?

Hate to be rude, but don't you mean 100 bucks more?

If you can spring about 80 bucks more... you could go with the SeaLife SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321, Underwater Cameras, SeaLife, SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeECOshotDigitalCamera) which we have had very good luck with. And the 75 foot rating on that is a tad conservative - as it's really the same housing as their 150 foot model....

So getting 6 megapixel with the features of the zoom, UW settings etc might be worthwhile, but I have no experience with the one you mentioned but I see it has no optical zoom - and on any digital... never use digital zoom, and no real accessories like flash, lenses, etc, and it does not mention focal lengths or macro modes.

Soonerwink
05-06-2008, 21:09
I think Larry is subtracting the 10 percent forum discount. That would make it about 80.00

harryjbrown
06-16-2010, 09:57
I followed this thread and started looking at the Sealife Eco Camera. They no longer make that model and the least expensive one they now make is in the $300 range (from $80 to $300):smiley5:.

Anyone have another recommendation? Just looking for a camera to take some pics and video for personal use.

Thanks!