PDA

View Full Version : if money wasnt important...Pinnacle evo 2 or DUI?

paintsnow
05-02-2008, 09:09
if i could get a top of the line DUI suit for the same price as a Pinnacle Evo 2 which one should i go with? ive heard amazing things about the Pinnacle, but the DUI could have zipseals, although i dont know how much of a difference that would make since i would be getting the si tech dry glove system with the Pinnacle, or zip on drygloves with the the DUI.
What are your opinions on this?

fireflock
05-02-2008, 10:27
Which DUI?

If money is not important, custom cut is the way to go, regardless of brand.

Gombessa
05-02-2008, 10:31
Which DUI?

If money is not important, custom cut is the way to go, regardless of brand.

That is, assuming you get sized correctly. I would not go custom cut unless I got fitted by a reputable, experienced representative.

Also, some people have differing opinions about the workmanship/fitting of some manufacturers' custom suits. Any issues here can result in a ton of non-directly-money-related headaches, including sending the suit back in for alteration, dealing with the shop/manufacturer for a poorly-made/fit suit, lost time, etc.

I feel that generally, if you fit a stock suit well, you're best off going for it. If you're highly demanding or have specific needs for something like a cave-cut specification, then you're probably already willing to accept the potential downsides with going custom.

CompuDude
05-02-2008, 12:05
if i could get a top of the line DUI suit for the same price as a Pinnacle Evo 2 which one should i go with? ive heard amazing things about the Pinnacle, but the DUI could have zipseals, although i dont know how much of a difference that would make since i would be getting the si tech dry glove system with the Pinnacle, or zip on drygloves with the the DUI.
What are your opinions on this?

By top of the line, I assume you're talking CLX450, which is the usual suit compared to the Evo2, since they're both cordura.

I would go with the DUI, given equal costs (or even unequal), because of the zip seal option. No option for the Pinnacle.

I would look at the DC glove ring system over the si tech. Much more people happy with it. And you can actually use it in conjunction with zip seals... install the DC ring into the zip seal, and then you can freely swap your suit between a "permanently" installed glove ring and regular seals, easy breezy.

I'd avoid the DUI zip gloves. Very few people I know actually like them. You can't pop them on and off easily, so you have to suit up with heavy drygloves on rather than waiting until the last minute. There is also no barrier between the glove and the rest of the suit, so a torn glove= flooded suit. And the gloves are stupid expensive, compared to $3 for a pair of widely-available replacement Atlas gloves for the DC rings.

cummings66
05-02-2008, 16:13
I'd say the CLx450 but without zip seals. I prefer them on the suit because it's cheaper to replace. I'd also make them add a latex dry hood as standard. None of that tucking in the neck stuff.

elijahb
05-02-2008, 22:37
I love the DUI suits comfort is important.
The zip seals are a nice addition.

snagel
05-03-2008, 07:43
What about the DUI 350 as an option? One thing I keep hearing about the 450 is that it is very stiff because of the Cordura and many tell me that the 350 is a much better suit because it simply isn't as stiff. I too have my eye on the Evo 2. I haven't seen the suit is real lift and it looks great in pictures, but how stiff is it?

S. Nagel

fireflock
05-03-2008, 08:38
The Evo 2 is very durable, and a bit stiff. That's why it's often compared to the CLX-450.

The 350 is light and flexible, but not as durable.

Like everything else in life, there are trade offs. Different choices for divers doing different things.

FishFood
05-03-2008, 09:12
According to the OP's profile, his age is 16. Unless you're 100% you're done growing, I wouldnt put much money into a drysuit.

RoyN
05-03-2008, 09:35
Even if money isn't important, I STILL get Pinnacles. :D

paintsnow
05-03-2008, 22:29
i got a job that supplies me disposable income, no bills to pay, so i really dont care to be honest, im just having fun right now, and im pretty sure im done growing, but if i do grow a lot more i can just sell it.
ive been told by a doctor that i probably wont grow much more though so its not an issue.

Docwagner
05-03-2008, 23:24
My shop sells both Pinnacle and DUI so I guess I have an interesting perspective. I personally dive the EVO 2, but we were selling Pinnacle before we started selling DUI. In comparing the two companies, DUI has been selling dry suits way longer than Pinnacle and essentially that is all they do. Consequently you will see plenty of DUI dry suits out there. DUI is a great company to work with offering excellent service and support. They have lots of accessories and options. Expect to pay $500 to $1000 more for a DUI suit than a Pinnacle.
Pinnacle started out as a wet suit company making excellent wet suits. They added dry suits to their line recently and initially we saw some quality control issues, most notably seems and zippers leaked. I believe those issues are resolved. The good news is that Pinnacle is also an excellent manufacturer to work with and they stand by their products 100%. They have also recently introduced a custom suit feature, where for a few dollars more they accept measurements and make your suit to your specifications. Zip seals are not an option, but the seals look and feel quite durable and Pinnacle offers factory repair services similar to DUI, they also use good quality parts.
Comparing the suits discussed, in order of stiffness and assumed durability, the EVO 2 is the heaviest material and consequently is stiffer. I like to poke around wrecks and a suit with heavy material makes sense to me. The CLX 450 is the next heavy and is comparable to the Pinnacle Evolution (shoulder zip). I like the CLX450 although I haven't had on in the water yet. The TLS 350 is much lighter weight, less stiff and is not cordura material. It is quite popular with our cave divers.
I like the Pinnacle rock boot better than DUI's and Pinnacle makes a better cold water undergarment.
There's my 2 cents worth.
Hope it helps.
Pete

paintsnow
05-04-2008, 01:17
docwagner, are you talking about the vulcanized rubber boots on the Pinnacle? is that what you like better then DUI rock boots?

also how much faster does the trilam pinnacle evo 2 dry then the tls 350 crushed neoprene?

snagel
05-04-2008, 09:04
i got a job that supplies me disposable income, no bills to pay, so i really dont care to be honest, im just having fun right now

Paintsnow - You're my hero! Enjoy this while you can and you are absolutely right - have fun. There will be a day when you turn into me and you are hiding money for dive equipment behind the vacuum cleaner so your wife doesn't find it.

S. Nagel

huvrr
05-05-2008, 01:36
behind the vacuum cleaner! I never thought of that. thanks

CompuDude
05-05-2008, 15:16
I dove with my friend who has the EVO 2 again this weekend, and I'll say this: That's one stiff suit. Seems to trap more air than my DUI CLX450, although it's possible there's some technique issues since he's newer to drysuit diving than I am... he's a good diver, however, so I can't say that with much certainty.

He needed a LOT of weight to sink it, though... and he's both smaller and more muscular than I am.

The TLS350 is a nice suit, comfortable and incredibly lightweight. That definitely comes at the cost of durability, though. I think considering the rough ocean conditions we frequently dive here in SoCal I would not want that suit for local diving. I can see how it would be great in more peaceful waters like lakes, quarries and caves (even those of the high-flow variety).

SHAGGY
05-05-2008, 17:31
Recently I had to make a similar decision. Money really wasnt an object, since my employer was the one writing the check. But the suit had to meet certain criteria since I would be using it for my work, Police Search & Rescue,. It is noticably stiffer than most any drysuit that you will find but its tuff as nails. I looked at several different models of suits and I really liked DUI TLS 350 because it was lighter weight and not as stiff, But,.... I knew that for "MY" type of diving the EVO2 was the best suit for me. Now, for recreation diving if I were spending my own money I would probably buy one of the Bare suits, or if money wasnt an objective I would probably have a TLS350 with zip seals.

shaggy