PDA

View Full Version : Editing software

tc_rain
05-02-2008, 12:46
I am looking at photo editing software and was looking for some opinions. The only one I am slightly familiar with is the photoshop elements 6 and I just got to play with it on their 30 day free trail download. Now that I am looking to buy, I want to know what else is out there that is worth anything and have you compared it to elements 6?

fisheater
05-02-2008, 13:21
Before you spend the big bucks, download and check out Gimp2. It's free and powerful.

harb99
05-02-2008, 13:37
Before you spend the big bucks, download and check out Gimp2. It's free and powerful.

I like Gimp as well.

mocepts
05-02-2008, 14:47
I also like Gimp, and here is a quick tutorial on touching up underwater photos:

GIMP correct underwater image tutorial Tankedup-Imaging (http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/red_enhance1.html)

terrillja
05-02-2008, 17:47
I personally like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. I have Photoshop CS3, but I like lightroom for its simplified interface. It was also somewhere between $50-$100 for me from the college bookstore.

elijahb
05-02-2008, 22:18

I like Gimp as well.
Gimp is good for most things. What kind of photo editing are you going to be doing?

thesmoothdome
05-21-2008, 08:07
If you have access to an academic discount, you can score Photoshop CS3 for about $300.00. Definately not free, but it sure beats the $900.00+ I see other places.

Geoff_T
05-21-2008, 09:03
If you have access to an academic discount, you can score Photoshop CS3 for about $300.00. Definately not free, but it sure beats the $900.00+ I see other places.

Photoshop CS3 is the way to go elements is ok but you just don't get some of the more advanced options. Now the learning curve is a bit steeper but it is worth it. There is a reason that every professional photographer I know uses photoshop.

tc_rain
05-21-2008, 10:26
I ended up going with Elements 6. I tried Gimp at work and liked elements better but that could be because I was more familar with it. CS3 is way overkill for what I am looking to do, even at 300. I just started taking uw photos and was looking to edit them a little. At this point elements is just about right. Thanks for the input.

ChrisA
05-21-2008, 10:45
I am looking at photo editing software and was looking for some opinions. The only one I am slightly familiar with is the photoshop elements 6 and I just got to play with it on their 30 day free trail download. Now that I am looking to buy, I want to know what else is out there that is worth anything and have you compared it to elements 6?

Elements is about the best thing out there unless you want to go for ther full Photoshop CS3. Elements 6.0 comes with camera raw and Bridge. It doew 90% or what PS CS3 does. And the interface is very much like PS CS3 so if you decide to upgrade it will not be like starting over.

There are many books and tutorials for photoshop and PS really is the "industry standard"

What format do yuo shoot. JPG or RAW? what do you want to do with the images, what kinds of corrections. I use both Aple's "Aperture" and Adobe's PS CS3. But I recommend people start with iPhoto and Element and then move up later if they need to. Apple and Adobe both have a good upgrade path where you don't loose anything. If you are still using a Windows PC The PC version of Elements comes with some organizaional abiliy and it also comes with Bridge.