PDA

View Full Version : Richie Kohler

CPTOZZY
05-02-2008, 20:58
Richie Kohler spoke at our Scuba Club tonight (Blackbeards Scuba Club, Savannah GA). Tomorrow and Sunday Richie and several of our club members will be diving the PECONIC, an 1800's steamer in 70 feet of water Off the Coast of Georgia. Alas, I just had dental surgery and Can't dive for another week at least (I'm also on-call for the next seven days). But the dive(s) sound exciting.
Richie spoke about his life, the dives and details of the wreck outlined in "Shadow Divers" and also about his Dives on the Titanic. He spoke about some fascinating insights into the Events leading up to and following the sinking of the Titanic that will be outlined in his next book - due in September (I can't wait and I don't want to steal any of his thunder, but I'm definitely buying it as soon as it hits the bookstand !!).

A very interesting evening !!

FishFood
05-02-2008, 21:02
Wow, that must have been a great club meeting! How'd yall arrange for him to speak? Im jealous! From reading his posts at ScubaBoard he seems like a good guy.

Oh, what's the book called?

CPTOZZY
05-02-2008, 21:06
Wow, that must have been a great club meeting! How'd yall arrange for him to speak? Im jealous! From reading his posts at ScubaBoard he seems like a good guy.

Oh, what's the book called?

Wow ! I didn't even ask the title (Derp - Dee- Dee). He is a very nice guy, seemed very down to earth

cummings66
05-02-2008, 21:13
I'd love to hear some tales from him, I bet there's a lot of things he's seen that defy normal explanation.

As to dental surgery, bummer. Must be beyond what I've had with crowns and fillings. Still, I'd be tempted to dive it.

Ryanh1801
05-02-2008, 21:41
very cool, I would love to hear one of his speeches.

DollFin
05-02-2008, 22:03
He's actually going to be teaching an advanced wreck diving course next year at a dive shop in Gulf Shores, AL.

CPTOZZY
05-02-2008, 23:09
I'd love to hear some tales from him, I bet there's a lot of things he's seen that defy normal explanation.

As to dental surgery, bummer. Must be beyond what I've had with crowns and fillings. Still, I'd be tempted to dive it.

I had a Bone graft in my Jaw.

I asked the Oral Surgeon pre-procedure and he said absolute minimum 2 weeks, but he'd prefer 4 weeks. I had my 1 week post op yesterday and he said I'm healing so well that after one more week I should be good to go.

The issue is the resupply of blood vessels to the (surgically) injured area. Additionally you need to ensure that all potential air pockets have been filled with tissue---I don't want a reverse squeeze to blow out the Bone Graft

texdiveguy
05-02-2008, 23:12
He's a genuine down to earth fellow and offers some excellent course work and trips. I might suggest if you are interested, you log on to Rich's web site and sign-up for his newsletter and announcements.

Richie Kohler: Official Site of Technical Diver & Shipwreck Researcher (http://www.richiekohler.com/)

texdiveguy
05-02-2008, 23:13

I had a Bone graft in my Jaw.

I asked the Oral Surgeon pre-procedure and he said absolute minimum 2 weeks, but he'd prefer 4 weeks. I had my 1 week post op yesterday and he said I'm healing so well that after one more week I should be good to go.

The issue is the resupply of blood vessels to the (surgically) injured area. Additionally you need to ensure that all potential air pockets have been filled with tissue---I don't want a reverse squeeze to blow out the Bone Graft

Dang... hey I wish you a full and fast recovery!! Alan

cummings66
05-02-2008, 23:48
I too wish you a speedy recovery, that sounds like my nightmares come to life. It had to hurt. I know what it feels like getting a tooth prepped for a crown, that had to be intense. I'm sure they knock you out, but still, when you wake up.

Speedy recovery, I'm sure you'll be back soon enough.

CPTOZZY
05-03-2008, 08:36
Thanks Guys -

It sounds worse than it feels....Surprisingly minor discomfort. Just wish I could dive this weekend - But I'm on call anyway so I can't do much of anything:smiley11:

Scubastud16
05-04-2008, 20:43
What type of submersible did he dive in on the Titanic?