PDA

View Full Version : Tangled hair ugh!!

KACY
05-03-2008, 00:03
Ok, so I have tried just about everything. What are your secrets from not getting your hair caught up in your mask when taking off/putting on. I have long hair, and am incapable of doing french braids which seems the best idea. I have used the soft mask straps and no luck there either. i suppose i could wear a beanie or doorag type thing but i'd just like to see if anyone else has the same problem and what they've done about it.:smilie40:

obrules15
05-03-2008, 07:47
I use a speedo LYCRA swim cap, that keeps things under control.

BonDiver
05-03-2008, 09:24
My wife uses aloe/conditioner gel in her hair before she dives. Helps with the tangles and what salt water does to color treated hair.:smiley20:

Athena2c
05-03-2008, 09:44
Well, I have the same problem, but no real solution. I just get tangled, and then brush it out between dives-if I leave it until the end of the day it is just too awful!

I have tried the conditioner in first, and I still get tangled. I have just decided I have to live with it if I want to dive. But I will be checking back to see if anyone has any other ideas!

Navy OnStar
05-03-2008, 18:59
I, too, have this problem. I have tried the french braid, but the mask strap pulls the hair out of the braid. I even use a neoprene strap cover. I have just been dealing with it and like someone else said just brush it out after diving. I will try to conditioner and cap. If anyone else has any suggestions, let's hear them!

By the way, I am Mrs. OnStar. Didn't want to confuse anyone that is familiar with my husband!

DollFin
05-03-2008, 19:57
By the way, I am Mrs. OnStar. Didn't want to confuse anyone that is familiar with my husband!

Thanks for clearing that up! :smilie39:

dallasdivergirl
05-04-2008, 07:02
for the record seeing navy onstar writing about hair scared me!

I used the little clear or black rubber bands and make a series of pony tails that go down the middle of my head. I will make the first at the top a few inches from my hair line & then the next a few inches farther with the tail of the previous pony tail in it. I willtake the last tail and flip it back up in end to keep the ends from getting tangled. also the elastic sport head bands help. I keep a bottle of conditioner in my bag & at the end of the day finger comb it in. otherwise I will be frightening more people than I already do.

Navy OnStar
05-04-2008, 08:49
That is the last time I leave myself logged in!!!!!!!!!:smilie39:

bostondivegirl
05-04-2008, 09:05
I wear a squid cap. It's less dorky than a beanie and really helps with my hair.
Here is a link in case anyone is interested.
Highfeedback's Squid Cap is for scuba diving, water sports & paintball! (http://www.highfeedback.com/page2.html)

Diver Kat
05-04-2008, 23:11
I wear a squid cap. It's less dorky than a beanie and really helps with my hair.
Highfeedback's Squid Cap is for scuba diving, water sports & paintball! (http://www.highfeedback.com/page2.html)
Thanks for the link .... was always curious about these, but most places that carry them were pretty pricey. These are a great deal, so I ordered 2! I've used Dee Rags for a couple of years and they work pretty well, but these have the added bonus of keeping the head warm a bit, so I'm giving them a shot.

boates
05-05-2008, 06:06
Make sure you wet your hair and push it straight back off your face. Then place the mask on your face and pull strap up and over! This will not only relieve the tangles, but makes sure you get a good (hairless)seal on the mask. My hair isn't only long (by times) but curly as well.

maggs_the
05-05-2008, 09:03
too hot natured to put on a wetsuit most of the time, so i dont see me putting on head gear.
i tried the doo rag but couldnt keep it on...

and actually, my biggest pain was the boat ride back whipping the wet, salty hair into such a tangled mess that i would miss out on supper trying to get it untangled.

okay, not really.. anyone who's met me knows i've not missed many suppers :D

but i finally just cut it all off... been thinking of letting it grow but the tangles.. ugh.. so, i'll be watching to see the magic tricks others use.

BlueC5Kitten
05-05-2008, 10:03
I do the french braid thing, but it doesn't help much, so now I just do a pony tail and then either wear a beanie or one of these: SCAP Head Wrap, Boots Hoods Gloves, Deep6 , SCAP Head Wrap (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SCAP)

For the boat ride back, I ALWAYS have a ball cap handy...works two-fold...keeping my hair in some control and keeping the sun off my nose!

bostondivegirl
05-05-2008, 10:11
Thanks for the link .... was always curious about these, but most places that carry them were pretty pricey. These are a great deal, so I ordered 2! I've used Dee Rags for a couple of years and they work pretty well, but these have the added bonus of keeping the head warm a bit, so I'm giving them a shot.

Just make sure you pull the mask strap over the cap. It keeps it from floating up.

divechaplain-sara
05-09-2008, 23:08
I usually do a French braid. I also take along a bottle of the stuff I used as a kid, No More Tangles. It works well but you can make your own by diluting any brand of conditioner with water and putting it in a spray bottle.

ChrisA
05-09-2008, 23:13
Ok, so I have tried just about everything. What are your secrets from not getting your hair caught up in your mask when taking off/putting on.

You list you location only as "United States" but I think FL and HI are the only US locations where you might not be using a hood. I'd think the hood would keep the hair in place.

Diver Kat
05-09-2008, 23:32
Ok, so I have tried just about everything. What are your secrets from not getting your hair caught up in your mask when taking off/putting on.

You list you location only as "United States" but I think FL and HI are the only US locations where you might not be using a hood. I'd think the hood would keep the hair in place.
I have a hood, but hate the thing. The water has to be cold, cold cold before I'll put on that sucker! Felt the same way when I tried a beanie on - could stand it on my head. That's why I try all the other hair control options ...

divechaplain-sara
05-09-2008, 23:41

I have a hood, but hate the thing. The water has to be cold, cold cold before I'll put on that sucker! Felt the same way when I tried a beanie on - could stand it on my head. That's why I try all the other hair control options ...

You don't have to have a hood for summer lake diving in a lot of places--Texas for sure. I'll wear mine sometimes though just to keep the fish away from my ears.

aaronle06
05-10-2008, 00:56

You don't have to have a hood for summer lake diving in a lot of places--Texas for sure. I'll wear mine sometimes though just to keep the fish away from my ears.

thats just a creepy feeling...(fish swimming in and out of your ears.) I used to swim with a gal who had really long hair (to the small of her back) and she used a silicone swim cap by speedo. to this day I have no idea how she ever got all that hair into that cap without looking like she had a 60s style beehive.

Diver Kat
05-10-2008, 23:19
You don't have to have a hood for summer lake diving in a lot of places--Texas for sure. I'll wear mine sometimes though just to keep the fish away from my ears. Yeah .. I've worn the hood a few times in the lake late in the year, but mostly stick with the Dee Rags 99% of the time. Never had the fish go for my ears yet. Fingers, and a few nipped fins, but that's about it.

IrishSquid
05-11-2008, 10:43
I used to have a 2.5ft -3ft braided ponytail. It was a PITA. I have a shaved head nowadays and can't believe I went so long before cutting the ponytail and shaving my head. Of course women don't usually care to be that drastic.

Eurodiver
05-12-2008, 02:26
I posted this in the Hair up Hair down forum
I love these things for keeping wispy pieces in control
These are life savers.
Collections - StayPut - Womens (http://www.goody.com/Products/Collections/StayPut/Womens/Womens.aspx)

As a hair stylist I recommend these to all my clients with long hair. They do stay put. If you need to reposition a pony tail ALWAYS take it all the way out and start over. Don't pull on your hair like we did when we were kids. You are only causing damage to the cuticle and THAT is how split end get their start. The Black elastic flat head band on page three is the one I use for the little wispy bang area. Do a pony tail, then gear up put one around your neck they are big enough to not choke you, once you have your mask on and in place the way you want just before going under pull the band up. There are not so tight that you can't clear you mask and stuff but will keep the wisps out of the way.

I can give all the hair advice in the world but unless you try it for yourself then you have no basis for comparison.

This is my 2 cents worth.
If you don't want your hair to turn green in pool sessions then I recommend Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three even after salt water diving it is awesome gets all the nasties out of your hair.
If you ask me what you can get OTC for shampoo and conditioner have no idea I only use professional. Not just because I am a hair stylist but professional stuff lasts longer cause it is concentrated you don't need as much. I order a liter at a time and my hair is very thick and almost to waist at the longest point, a liter of shampoo and conditioner lasts me ALMOST 2 and a half months and that is using it on my clients as well.

IF you want my recommendation use the StayPut to keep hair in place.
after diving for shampoo and conditioner:
Small bottle of this
Sukesha All Nutrient Active Clarifying Shampoo on Sale (http://www.spiralhaircase.com/products/haircare/sukesha-all-nutrient/shampoo/active-clarifying-shampoo.html)
Or any CLARIFYING Shampoo to get the nasties out
then shampoo again with something like this
Pureology Hydrate Shampoo on Sale (http://www.spiralhaircase.com/products/haircare/pureology/shampoo/hydrate-shampoo.html)
it is expensive but soooooooooo worth it and 33 oz should last around 3 months for long thick hair and longer for mid to short lengths.
Conditioner:
Pureology Hydrate Conditioner on Sale (http://www.spiralhaircase.com/products/haircare/pureology/conditioner/hydrate-conditioner.html)

Sukesha All Nutrient Active Clarifying Treatment on Sale (http://www.spiralhaircase.com/products/haircare/sukesha-all-nutrient/conditioner/active-clarifying-treatment.html)

Biosilk Filler on Sale (http://www.spiralhaircase.com/products/haircare/biosilk/conditioner/filler.html)

Biosilk Hydrating Conditioner on Sale (http://www.spiralhaircase.com/products/haircare/biosilk/conditioner/hydrating-conditioner.html)

You buy good scuba gear, you clean it and protect it and take care of it why not do the same for your hair?
So remember CLARIFY HYDRATE REPLENISH MOISTURIZING RECONSTRUCTING are all good choices.

Hope it helps with the wispy piece and may you have healthy happy hair!

:party::party:

Eurodiver

::::PS:::::
I am not affiliated with Spiral hair case at all or Paul Mitchell. I use Spiral hair case cause they ship to an APO AE address and Paul Mitchell is just a good product that I prefer.

fisherdog
05-12-2008, 13:46
I also have long hair and find it difficult to maintain on dive days.... Last year I used a beanie, which worked out fairly well, but I found that I still had a fair amount of tangles.... Haven't used it yet, but I bought a Scuba-do rag (yup... stupid name..) @ ocean fest last month.. Will let you know how that works out..

ScubaDoRag™ : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce (http://www.scubadorag.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2)

Diver Kat
05-12-2008, 15:23
Well these guys are fast! Got my order delivered on 5/9.:smiley20: Ordered 2 caps for under $16 total, and that included the shipping. They're well made, and I like the band of textured rubber that circles the hatband. Now I just have to wait till my Keys trip next month to give them a try!

Thanks again Bostondivegirl!!

mauiiop
05-13-2008, 11:01
I find it easier to put on a doo rag and put some leave in conditioner in my hair, there are several brands that you can find at walmart or beauty shops that do not hurt the water enviroment. This will make it easier to keep your hair from tangling.

Martin2
05-13-2008, 13:56
I second Goody's StayPut band. I don't particularly like anything extra on my head (it has yet to be cold enough for me to tolerate a hood). StayPut works fabulously.

kayak32
05-21-2008, 15:37
Like others have said I use conditioner before I go in. Sometimes I wear a dorag. What I have been doing lately is pulling my hair back, putting it up with a clip and this seems to work for me. The thing that really made a world was to not wear a snorkel. The snorkel was the worst culprit in causing me to pull my hair out when removing my mask.

MSilvia
05-21-2008, 15:44
I had that problem once. Shaving my head solved it quite nicely. YMMV.:smiley2:

mona
06-07-2008, 09:57
If there is a secret I haven't found it yet. Most of my dives are in cool water and I wear a hood so no trouble there (well, almost no trouble as hair still ends up tangled but not around the mask strap). In situations when not wearing a hood it was a pain to get hair stuck in mask strap...I use a neoprene mask strap cover and that reduces the problem somewhat. I did buy a 'squid cap' but haven't used it diving...as a newer diver I didn't want to end up with one more possible thing to fuss with if it didn't work underwater for me.
I have bought inexpensive hair conditioner (watch for sales or clearance items especially if you have a preferred more expensive conditioner you like; for me for diving the stuff found at department stores works fine....I dilute some with water and keep in a spray bottle to spray on hair before and after dive. Then when time to shower I put lots of the conditioner in my hair and try to rinse out the tangles and then wash with shampoo. Otherwise I've given up on avoiding tangles...if I want to keep lmy hair long and dive I'll have to put up with the tangles!

tinkerbell
06-18-2008, 17:00
I have the same problem - don't think there is a good way to solve it unless you wear a swim cap - I ALWAYS take a hat / visor, when on the boat, my hat is on as soon as I get out of the water.

bottomdweller
06-18-2008, 21:03
I use the extra conditoner & a beanie also. I am a guy with long hair although The hair is starting to get a little thin up top!!
but I also use a ponytail holder from the Harley shop that is made for people with long hair riding bikes. works pretty good to keep the ponytail in a ponytail while diving!!
If anyone else has a better idea I am all ears! (with a ponytail of course)

P.S. The women like to pull on long hair!!! trust me!!!

Osprey
06-18-2008, 23:09
I finally just said "SCREW THIS" and cut all my hair off. Living in Florida, I realized this was a comfortable move

Before that a thin dive cap worked

jimmysdevoted
06-29-2008, 10:33
I havent used them, but modest world has these awsome snoods.

i just fund the divers baseball caps.
What i ahve been doing is putting my hair in a pouny tail that I pull through the double strap or the buttyon hole i made in a neoprene slap strap. then we take a variety of tight fitting bands and go all teh way down teh pony tail. slick back withs ome glue and its good to go.. the glue evn holds the strap in place. its called got2be spiking glue......

j

singalullabye
07-13-2008, 17:58
Hi ya'll!
I'm new but I've found that putting my hair into low pigtails (right over my ears) and then using 2-3 more bands about an inch apart going down the tails works really well. My hair stays out of the mask bands and not to messy to comb out after I dive! :smiley20:

Waterlover
07-30-2008, 08:37
I had the same problem. My hair is past my waist and would get tangled in the first stage regulator, parts of my BC, snorkel clip, everywhere. Plus, the mask strap would always pull my hair.

I began wearing a cap (Oneill 1mil) and using a "Hair Glove" (Better than a Scrunchie | Hair Accessories and Jewelry by Hair Glove (http://www.hairglove.com/)) that holds your ponytail and hair together. It works great! They come in different lengths so you can tailor it to your hair.

The idea of putting conditioners and stuff in your hair doesn't sound too eco-friendly since the water will only wash it out when diving.

acceb0721
08-03-2008, 21:24
I cannot do my own french braids, but when I have someone with me who can, those are the best. When it's just me and my husband, I will do two single pigtail braids behind my ears, and then my hood when it is cold. I still have to use the neoprene mask strap to keep the plastic strap from pulling the hair out of the braids, but it usually works well.

Truered1
08-13-2008, 08:19
I, like Dallasdivergirl just put ponytails in. Starting at the top I put one as far back as I can, then I put them every 2 inches to the base of my head (about 4) then i braid the bottom and turn the braid up and fasten with an additional elastic to the last ponytail at the base of my head. I use the goody elastics that are a little on the thick side, they don't pull on the hair much when taking them out and create a nice place to but the straps between when putting on my mask. I no longer have my mask moving up on my head that I did with the doorag. Hope this helps.

InflationImpossible
09-05-2008, 22:38
Making a pony tail doesnīt really help, I always find a hood the best solution. If you donīt like the normal ones, there are very thin hoodies from Pro-Dive that donīt even have a neck-bit attached, only a little rim around the chin, so you donīt feel like your head is pulled back all the time, which I find uncomfortable with a lot of hoods. My boyfriend owns one of those (no, not to tame his wild hippie-hair thankfully) and finds it pretty comfy, even for diving in relatively warm water.

Hummm, I guess I should nip it...:smiley13:

Splitlip
09-05-2008, 23:01
I found this article. Hope it helps.

Tangled hair if not addressed can cause health issues including skin rashes, pain and discomfort, and it can attract bugs which can lead to complicated health issues. Even short hair may get tangled during a weather change due to shedding. As a tangle is formed, the skin may actually be pulled toward the tangle. This can be painful and it is why you need to be careful when trying to remove a hair clump or tangled hair. It’s best to avoid tangles and hair clumps by brushing the hair on a regular basis. As spring and fall approach increase the frequency of your brushing. As soon as you notice a small tangle forming, address it as quickly as possible.
If there is a tangle that needs to be removed with scissors, there are a couple of things you can do before you go to a professional:
1. If the tangle is small you may be able to get it out by using a small amount of hair conditioner. Rub the hair conditioner in your fingers and stroke it into the tangle. Take a flexible wire brush and start slowly trying to comb through the tangle at the far edges (not next to the skin). Make several small passes and see if any hair comes out now that there is conditioner in the hair. As the knot loosens get closer to the skin, but never pull hard on the skin. When the tangle is removed, take a warm wash cloth and remove the conditioner so it will not be ingested while grooming. If this does not work, and you can tell where the skin is located, move on to the step below.
2. If you are right handed, hold your left hand flat. Place the tangle between your index and middle finger on the left hand. With your right hand cut above your index and middle finger and remove as much of the tangle as you can. Usually, once you cut a tangle to within ― and inch from the skin, you can brush out the rest with gentle strokes and a flexible wire brush.
3. If all else fails, you can place one side of the scissors against the skin and cut away from the skin (away from your body) and through the tangle. You follow the natural growth of hair. It’s as if you were cutting air between two hairs. Do not cut across the body because you may cut the skin. Make several cuts through the tangle. Eventually, you’ll have several smaller tangles. After that very gently try to brush out the tangles with a wire brush.
If these steps don’t work, please consider grooming by a professional. If you use hair conditioner or any product not designed to stay on the hair, you must rinse it out so that it will not be ingested while grooming. During the spring and fall take a few minutes every day to pet or brush on the neck, belly and back legs (inside and out). This will quickly help you identify any new tangles that need to be removed before they become problematic.

Lj82
09-05-2008, 23:48
My girlfriend used to have similar problems and would complain to me that her hair gets entangled on her mask and she was becoming bald on the sides due to this.
Her solution was to wear a bandanna.
Maybe you can try that

thevalkyry
09-12-2008, 13:10

Just as a total aside - theiving fish bit out my cuff earring I forgot to take out at Clear Springs this week. Grrrr......

James1010
09-12-2008, 13:15
Shave your head...lol..joking, I couldn't resist.

nubie1541
09-13-2008, 17:50
I bought a cotton do-rag in Bonaire -- as long as it is pulled tight and tied, it's great. The mask does not slide. However, the design leaves something to be desired -- it is black, with silk screened wolves on the side, and Legends NeVer Die written in white across the front.
Hey, it was 6 bucks instead of 35 in a dive shop!

BlowingBubbles
09-15-2008, 12:06
I didn't find the french braid to be a cure-all. I was able to do my own for diving and the #!@* snorkel always ripped out what the mask didn't. It was better than nothing at all but I finally got so tired of the hair problem that I cut it off. I like it much better now anyway, whether I'm diving or not. My hair is a lot healthier too.

gthomas
09-15-2008, 16:23
I puchased a Squid Cap in Bonaire a few weeks ago. I liked it on some of the dives but there was a few where the currant was very strong and swimming against it pulled the cap off. I found putting it back on in the water hard to do. I've also used hubby;s du rag and couldn't keep that on either. I think I'll just cut my hair shorter and see what happens.

Diver Kat
09-15-2008, 17:20
So far I've had pretty good luck with the squid caps ... but haven't been in too strong a current. We'll see how they do on our next Coz trip ...

Did the local lake clean-up recently and another diver cracked up that I jumped in with the 'cap' on ... I guess he thought is was a regular cap at first ...

divingyogini
09-16-2008, 21:55
I use lycra swim caps often, but speedo now makes a silicone cap for long-haired people with extra room in the back. I like that one a lot. Only problem is you are wearing a swim cap, and some people don't like the aesthetic. Though with a mask on and a reg in the mouth, how good do you look anyway?

lemon lime
09-16-2008, 23:24
I really like the idea of the ScubaGoodHood (http://www.scubadorag.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_3). It's from the same maker of ScubaDoRags. Do rags and caps tend to slip off my head.

BlowingBubbles
09-17-2008, 09:35
I use lycra swim caps often, but speedo now makes a silicone cap for long-haired people with extra room in the back. I like that one a lot. Only problem is you are wearing a swim cap, and some people don't like the aesthetic. Though with a mask on and a reg in the mouth, how good do you look anyway?

That's true enough! I don't think anyone wearing full scuba gear would ever win a beauty contest. Good thing the fish don't care. :puh:

gthomas
09-17-2008, 12:30
Thanks for the sight from scubagoodhood. I took a look at that but I'm not sure about all the fabric around my neck. I tried someones thin hood with a strap. It was alright but it also would take some getting use to. I kept pulling the fabric away from my ears. It did cut out a lot of the bubble noise.

Souvy
09-18-2008, 13:14
My girlfriend uses Origins Knot-Free shampoo and swears by it. She just showers with it after and no worries. It's a bit pricey but, according to her, this works and is totally worth it:

Origins | Knot Free® Shampoo (http://www.origins.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY5984&PRODUCT_ID=PROD198)

thevalkyry
09-26-2008, 17:35
After reading this thread, I decided to try the rubber bands every couple of inches on my pony tail. As long as I use a big tooth comb rather than my fingers it works very well. I was pleased. I didnt go back to see who originally posted that idea, but whoever did my thanx. I have new scuba-do thanks to you.

Did I say that out loud??

scubajane
10-05-2008, 21:42
I got a squid cap in Hawaii at Maui Dreams scuba shop. it has no strap under the chin. it is like a bathing cap with some slight extensions over the ears. I can't seem to find them anywhere. It is better than my beanie because it covers more of my head and therefore more of my hair. when I wear my beanie I don't fasten my strap until i have to and then underwater i don't notice it at all.

gNats
10-06-2008, 10:53
I have a mess of shoulder length curly hair. Yesterday, I tried the rubberbands down the back as a false-french braid. I love it. I left them in after my dive was finished and felt like I didn't look like a soaked raggedy ann doll.

Before the rubberbands, as soon as my dive ended, I would rub a no-rinse conditioner through my hair before I even tried to comb/shake it out. I use a salon product by ISO to put the spring back in my curls, although any no-rinse would do.

I liked the no-rinse solution because it counter-acted the lake water on my hair and allowed me to easily comb through the curls without ripping out the tangles.

icandy6298
10-14-2008, 23:31
I put a low pony tail in and use a neoprene strap. After I get out of the water I saturate my hair with leave in conditioner like the johnsons no more tangles for kids. It works well and I have very long thick hair.

sea princess
10-31-2008, 12:06
It is nice to know I am not the only one struggling with my hair being ripped out from the mask and a tangled mess after diving. French braids fall out on me and one pony tail is not enough. I started putting leave in conditioner and then making two braids (like pippy long stocking) or two low pony tails with elastics going down each tail. It has definately helped. I keep a large tooth comb and more condioner on hand for after the dive. when all else fails i put on a hat and say the heck with it. At least I got to dive!

terrapinwetsuits
11-06-2008, 09:30
Another option (similar to squidcap) is a Terrapin custom minihood or headband (see Accessories (http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm)). Both these are available in 3 mm or 5 mm, depending on how insulated you want to be. The minihoods offer a range of styles and colors, so your buddy can find you easily underwater and on the surface.

If you want "freeflowing hair" (most photographers want their model's hair to show), the headband covers your ears for warmth and can be positioned over your head where the mask strap goes, so that there's a layer between your hair and the strap.

mz kitty
11-14-2008, 19:31
I also have long hair. Cutting is not an option. I do 2 braids down the sides and dont take them off until I am off the boat. My hair is thin and it breaks and tangles easy. I use fructis sleek and shine. I put that on my hair after I take out the braids. If you slick up your hair you can brush through it and then wash and condition as usual. I dont care to be a fashion model I just want to dive.

Diver Kat
11-14-2008, 22:36
Another option (similar to squidcap) is a Terrapin custom minihood or headband (see Accessories (http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm)). Both these are available in 3 mm or 5 mm, depending on how insulated you want to be. The minihoods offer a range of styles and colors, so your buddy can find you easily underwater and on the surface. Okay ... these things are downright scary!!

scubatam
11-15-2008, 10:58
I have long hair that hangs down to about the middle of my back. I've tried french braiding and it does work pretty well. However, after I had layers cut, they wouldn't all stay in the braid. I also have a squid cap and several doorags, but don't like trying to get mask strap in place without "dislodging" the cap or rag. Most often I pull my hair into a ponytail on top of my head. Then I braid the tail and twist it around in a bun effect and secure with a scrunchie. Works very well. I also strongly recommend Paul Mitchell's detangler. It work wonders for tangled hair and also contains a sunscreen for hair.

sea princess
11-15-2008, 13:23
That is an idea i could try too. thanks.

as for those minihoods they are scary but some like them since it identifies them. my friend emailed me the one with the princess crown as a joke and triple dog dared me wear it! umm no!

BlowingBubbles
11-17-2008, 06:34
That is an idea i could try too. thanks.

as for those minihoods they are scary but some like them since it identifies them. my friend emailed me the one with the princess crown as a joke and triple dog dared me wear it! umm no!

Since you are "Sea Princess" it seems that a crown would only be fitting. :smiley36:

sea princess
11-18-2008, 23:29
I know it would be but i just don't think i could do it! LOL My girlfriends who don't dive gave me that nick name and it has stuck. I wouldn't be surprised if one ends up as a gift someday...then i would have to wear it at least once!

Zenagirl
11-19-2008, 07:22
I pull my hair into a high ponytail so my mask strap (neoprene) sits under it. Then I use a HAIR GLOVE to cover the top 4" of my ponytail. This is not only keeping my hair out of my mask strap, but virtually eliminated all of my tangles.

The Deerag/headcover thing never worked for me. :(

scubajane
11-22-2008, 15:00
please use caution with blobbing tons of conditioner on your hair before diving. some of those conditioners are not good for the fish. I'm not sure which.
maybe we can send one of the lurking men to do some research and attempt impress us with their knowledge
.:bear7:

Diver Kat
11-22-2008, 15:42
please use caution with blobbing tons of conditioner on your hair before diving. some of those conditioners are not good for the fish. I'm not sure which.
maybe we can send one of the lurking men to do some research and attempt impress us with their knowledge
.:bear7:

First you might have to explain what conditioner is to them .... OR POST A PICTURE!!!! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 16:27
was that a shot?

Diver Kat
11-22-2008, 20:13
was that a shot?

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

scubajane
12-05-2008, 21:47
was that a shot?

actually that was a request for information. (she smiles sweetly and ducks her head hoping that he will search for the info she requested)

Italianprincess
12-21-2008, 15:10
I have done doo rags, purchased the cloth/foam mask strap,etc. Finallywent to a dive cap. But after diving...let me tell you....I use hair milk and guess what....no more tangles!! Learned that on a dive trip to Cozumel!

Splitlip
12-21-2008, 15:20
I hear ya sista!

(Oh come on you guys. Don't come down too hard on me. New girl here)