PDA

View Full Version : first reg

KACY
05-03-2008, 00:13
ok, so I am an advanced diver and am just beginning my SSI assistant instructor training. ergo, i have to buy my own gear. I already have some crap gear that I have been using, little better than rental, and am looking at getting my next piece of equipment to be a regulator. The shop i am going to work for asks us to have gear that is available at our store (oceanic, aqualung, apeks). I am a college student so I dont have to money to get the top of the line, but i do want something that I can use for the next while. I am going to be instructing in the pool and warm water, but recreational in some deep and colder water. any advice/suggestions. been looking at the oceanic GT3, how does that compare to alpha 8. Also, has anyone used apeks before any thoughts on the xtx40 as opposed to the xtx50?

Black-Gorrilla
05-03-2008, 02:36
the oceanic cdx5/gt3 is a nice reg. i bought one last x-mas and have used it and like it. has nice features and is well made. 0 problems so far. cost of it is not bad either.
i was shopping for some Apeks regs (just wanna spend money i guess)
i like the way they make their stuff and they have a bug tech following...

Apeks is more expensive than Oceanic (even used....) and you said you don't wanna spend a lot.

wolfen42
05-03-2008, 18:57
I've been looking at the same set of regulators and they bundle the alpha 8 with the cdx-5 now so maybe that would be a good option pricewise.

BSea
05-03-2008, 20:29
I can't remember the price difference, but it is nice to have the adjustable 2nd stage like the xtx50. I have the DS4 with the xtx50 2nd. I really like the reg. Now I've never used a 40, but I have had non adjustable regs in the past, and never had any complaints. So, if the money is tight, get the 40, It's a great reg.

terrillja
05-03-2008, 21:17
I'd do the GT3 over the Alpha 8 due to the adjustable 2nd stage. This is a great feature. The GT3 has many of the features which make the Delta IV appealing, but for less.

ratown
05-03-2008, 21:30
I have the GT3. I can't compare it to anything, but I can say it's a solid regulator and a great price.

Fireplug
05-03-2008, 21:38
I have used an xtx50 for my past 25 or so dives. Been in fresh and salt water, 116' deep, up side down, stood on my head, over on my back, every which way. Never had it breathe wet, never felt it pull or breathe hard. I know guys that will dive with nothing but apecks. I realize that budgets need to be followed but I guess I don't want to think about saving $100 at depth when my reg goes south. :smiley13: Rather stretch to reach for better life safety equipment. Been in the fire service for 25 plus years and have always wanted to use the best equipment I could get my hands on. Just my opinion.

Have fun and dive safe. :smiley20:

frogman159
05-04-2008, 21:52
I've got a gt3 too..waiting for the water to warm up a bit here to try it out...the waiting is killing me! :)

harb99
05-05-2008, 08:33
I've got a gt3 too..waiting for the water to warm up a bit here to try it out...the waiting is killing me! :)

in the same boat here - just purchased the GT3's for my wife and I and are waiting for it to warm up a bit before going to the quarry

wolfen42
05-05-2008, 09:54
I'd do the GT3 over the Alpha 8 due to the adjustable 2nd stage. This is a great feature. The GT3 has many of the features which make the Delta IV appealing, but for less.

Thanks for the suggestion... I think you've bumped me over into getting the GT3 over the Alpha 8... I feel like such a waffler on this...

huvrr
05-07-2008, 09:09
you can't go wrong by getting a really good reg as it should last years. I have always subscribed to the school of thought that this is one item where it is good to get top of the line quality.

frogman159
05-07-2008, 19:44
you can't go wrong by getting a really good reg as it should last years.

Agree:smiley20:

elijahb
05-07-2008, 21:18
If there was a set of rental gear you really liked see if the shop will sell you that package. My shop will sell there rental gear sets for reduced prices though you might want to get the regs and bcs serviced and inspected.