PDA

View Full Version : Water park with Scuba Lagoon in AZ??

Cichlid
08-04-2007, 20:56
April 24, 2007

Water park to offer scuba lagoon, wave pool
Jason Massad, Tribune

The Scottsdale developers of a $250 million water park resort proposed at Mesa’s Riverview area revealed some details of the one-of-a-kind attraction at a neighborhood meeting Monday — an effort to gather support for a project likely headed to the November ballot.

A scuba lagoon featuring coral and depths up to 33 feet would be one of the venues at Waveyard, which also would feature a wave pool and a white-water river, plus an office, retail and residential complex with condominiums towering up to 10 stories.

An indoor aquatic center, a resort hotel and a spa-andwellness center would be other cornerstones of the project designed to attract tourists and day users to 125 acres at the Riverview area near the loops 101 and 202.

The project is unlike traditional water parks in the area, Ralph Pew, a land-use attorney for Waveyard, told the 35 attendees of the meeting at Whittier Elementary School. Nationally, Charlotte, N.C., and Maryland host the only other man-made white-water rivers like the one Waveyard wants to open in 2010.

“It’s frankly hard to grasp for those who haven’t seen it,” Pew said.

The park is estimated to use roughly the same amount of water annually as an 18-hole golf course, said Richard Mladick, one of Waveyard’s principal developers. That could equal about 100 million gallons to fill the water attractions and replenish them after evaporation and splash loss. Mesa would sell the park the water and can support the capacity, he said.

The project is expected to receive Mesa’s first official scrutiny May 8, when it goes to the Planning and Zoning Board. The property, now home to Riverview Golf Course and Riverview Park, would need to be changed from a public-use zone to a private commercial one.

If Mesa officials approve the changes and a development agreement with
Waveyard, the project could proceed to the November ballot.

The city offered a $20 million tax rebate to lure the development away from competing cities, triggering a vote on the project.

Residents at Monday’s meeting broached practical concerns. David Coats, 31, purchased a home a few months ago in the under-construction Villagio development, south of the project site near Eighth Street.

He queried Pew about the park’s large aquatic center location plotted on a rough map of the development. He worried how the project could affect his home’s resale value.

“Basically, am I going to lose money or make money on my home?” he asked.

Nicole Macias, 26, also lives in Villagio. A former resident of Ahwatukee Foothills, she said she moved to Mesa’s Riverview area partly for the convenience of living close to two freeways.

Preliminary traffic counts show the Waveyard project could draw 11,000 cars off Loop 202 and 9,000 cars off Loop 101 on the weekends. But Macias said it was difficult to gauge how the water park, plus the Mesa Riverview retail complex and Tempe Desert Marketplace, would affect overall traffic.

Macias said she worries, too, about property values but believes Mesa needs more recreational outlets. “A lot of their answers were that they were still figuring it out.”

Anybody heard any more on this???

Dive-aholic
08-05-2007, 00:04
I've been on the website. Can't remember the url now, but they did list prices. It was in the range of $40 to dive there. I think I'd rather drive the extra distance and dive Lake Pleasant for $5!

diversteve
08-05-2007, 00:30
http://www.waveyard.com/

No fish in the scuba park since it's probably chlorinated water. Be a fun place to check out your gear pre-trip. Although I can do that at my LDS for free.

94GTStang
08-05-2007, 02:09
Looks kinda interesting. Maybe good for one dive and that's about it

Dive-aholic
08-05-2007, 04:56
http://www.waveyard.com/

No fish in the scuba park since it's probably chlorinated water. Be a fun place to check out your gear pre-trip. Although I can do that at my LDS for free.

But they will have a sunken city (http://www.waveyard.com/scuba.html)!

I think this place may try to market as a place to do OW check out dives. I don't think it will fly with most agencies, though. I don't see how they can say it's an OW site, especially with chlorine. Although, they can always do salinated water instead.

I'm looking forward to reading a report from someone who dives it.

BuzzGA
08-12-2007, 13:46
As much as I love to dive and miss the water...I moved to southern AZ from Florida...I have to admit the park bothers me. C'mon its a desert that gets only about a foot of rain a year and is in the midst of a huge drought and somebody wants to build a multi-million gallon pool...that just doesn't make sense to me. I know the owners say the park will only use as much water as an 18-hole golf course so I have to wonder if they will use the same water source. Many golf courses are switching to "reclaimed" water...recycled from treatment plants...probably not since most people won't want to swim in that.

Dive-aholic
08-13-2007, 13:12
From Florida to Tucson?!? I just moved from Tucson to Florida!

BTW, I agree. If you haven't been to the valley (Phoenix area) yet, you'll be sickened by all the grassy yards. Many HOAs actually require people to keep lawns there. No wonder Lake Mead is over 100' below full.

diversteve
08-13-2007, 16:08
From Florida to Tucson?!? I just moved from Tucson to Florida!You got the better end of that deal buddy...

BTW, I agree. If you haven't been to the valley (Phoenix area) yet, you'll be sickened by all the grassy yards. Many HOAs actually require people to keep lawns there. No wonder Lake Mead is over 100' below full.I'm doing my part by not watering my yard for the last couple of years...:smilie39:

How's Florida?

BuzzGA
08-14-2007, 00:30
From Florida to Tucson?!? I just moved from Tucson to Florida!

BTW, I agree. If you haven't been to the valley (Phoenix area) yet, you'll be sickened by all the grassy yards. Many HOAs actually require people to keep lawns there. No wonder Lake Mead is over 100' below full.

Check out some of the Spring Dives in your area, Blue Spring in Jackson County is beautiful...it was my last dive in Fl. I'll be heading back to the Panhandle this fall so my wife can defend her thesis at FSU and we are both hoping to hit the water while we are there. As for why I moved...the job. But since I was born about 30 minutes from Pennekamp my heart will always be in the water.