PDA

View Full Version : best sandwich

Murloc
05-04-2008, 08:34
alright gentlemen.....time to lay it on the line. what kind of sandwich is the best sandwich? Cheese steak?...Reuben?...BBQ?...BLT?

list your favorite sandwich and preferred way of having it fixed. Cheese steak with provolone or cheddar for example. any guy who lists monte cristo sandwiches though needs to turn his man card in at the door.

Largo
05-04-2008, 09:46
Down around the Tampa area, they have a sandwich called the Cuban.

I'm not sure what is in it, but it's awesome.

Murloc
05-04-2008, 10:04
cubans are good...roast pork, ham, mustard, pickle...but what makes a cuban is the bread

a lot of sandwich shops in Ybor City makes good cubans, my personal favorite is The Silver Ring Cafe on 7th Av

navyhmc
05-04-2008, 10:09
MMMMMMM!!! CUBANS!!!!

A spicy italian from a little deli here: Cappiocola(?) Homemade pepperoni, Proscuitto(?) sliced mozerrela and provolone with a light marina sauce. Killer!

As for BBQ: Carolina pork sandwich: Pulled Pork, lot's a sauce and cole slaw (garlic coleslaw-even better!)

Murloc
05-04-2008, 10:12
never have gotten the hang of south carolina bbq sauce.....they all go bonkers for their mustard based sauce....I like mine red

navyhmc
05-04-2008, 10:18
never have gotten the hang of south carolina bbq sauce.....they all go bonkers for their mustard based sauce....I like mine red

Being from the midwest, ours is a tomato/brown sugar base, minimal vinegar and it still melds well with the whole pork sandwich theme. Not that there's anything wrong with the Carolina style, but I prefer a local place "Hog Wild Pit BBQ" Dont be late, they close at 8:00!

jeffhodges
05-04-2008, 12:15
Not necessarily a sandwich...but for a damned good burger in Dallas go the Twisted Root Burger Company...most excellent!
Twisted Root Burger Co. / 2615 Commerce St. / Dallas, TX / 214.741.ROOT (7668) (http://www.twistedrootburgerco.com/)

And don't forget to try the Chocolate Shake or Homemade Rootbeer Float!

DevilDiver
05-04-2008, 12:22
Not necessarily a sandwich...but for a damned good burger in Dallas go the Twisted Root Burger Company...most excellent!
Twisted Root Burger Co. / 2615 Commerce St. / Dallas, TX / 214.741.ROOT (7668) (http://www.twistedrootburgerco.com/)

Great burger! If you want to try another great burger look up a place called "Hole in the Wall" on Harry Hines close to 635. Greasy, homemade... Like mama usda make! Ummmmm..

DiverBry
05-04-2008, 12:22
My all time favorite:

San Francisco Sourdough Bread
Vine Ripened Tomatoes
Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
Cream Cheese
Mayo
Oven-Roasted Sliced Turkey
Imported Swiss Cheese
Salt + Pepper

Served with a big dill pickle and a Root Beer!

Ryanh1801
05-04-2008, 12:46
Ruben, have to make it at home though, cause most restaurants make them like crap.

Splitlip
05-04-2008, 13:33
Cubans are the best so long as they are made traditionaly in a press.
Otherwise Philly Cheese Steak.

DollFin
05-04-2008, 13:40
I wonder how long it's going to take this thread to go where I KNOW it will eventually go.

OilfieldTrash
05-04-2008, 14:23
The best sandwich without a doubt...a Muffaletta - a New Orleans favorite

DollFin
05-04-2008, 15:01
The best sandwich without a doubt...a Muffaletta - a New Orleans favorite

I really wish I liked those more, since I live right in New Orleans, but alas, I just don't care that much for olives! Oh well, I'll just have a shrimp po'boy!

OilfieldTrash
05-04-2008, 16:09
Oh well, I'll just have a shrimp po'boy!

Those are pretty good too... depending on where you get them.

DollFin
05-04-2008, 16:27
Oh well, I'll just have a shrimp po'boy!

Those are pretty good too... depending on where you get them.

Ever been to Parasols? I live down the street from there and they have some good ones, plus the St. Patty's Day block party!!

(OK, just decided what I'm doing for dinner!)
:)

OilfieldTrash
05-04-2008, 16:56
Ever been to Parasols?

Never been there. I used to get my Poboys from Salvos when I lived on the Westbank, but haven't eaten there since Katrina. Deanies (in Bucktown) used to have pretty good poboys as well, as did the other resteraunt just up the street(toward the lake, can't remember the name of it). I haven't eaten at those places in years and really do miss the good food.

harb99
05-04-2008, 17:51
a philly cheese steak from a local place, but a catfish po'boy isnt bad either

Largo
05-04-2008, 18:26
Here are a couple of homemades.

1. Fry a burger, dress it up with a little ketchup, fresh spinach, and brie cheese.

2. Toast a bagel. Add a little cream cheese, a little lox, a thin slice of tomato, and a thin slice of onion.

surfsidedav
05-04-2008, 18:30
a double chili cheeseburger with extra chili and a slice of onion about 1/4" thick, topped with mustard and hot sauce, on a toasted bun.

DollFin
05-04-2008, 19:07
Ever been to Parasols?

Never been there. I used to get my Poboys from Salvos when I lived on the Westbank, but haven't eaten there since Katrina. Deanies (in Bucktown) used to have pretty good poboys as well, as did the other resteraunt just up the street(toward the lake, can't remember the name of it). I haven't eaten at those places in years and really do miss the good food.

Deanies is good. I'm not too familliar with places on the West Bank, since I live Uptown and don't get over that way too much, all I really know there is the Dry Dock on Algiers Point by the ferry landing. Only lived here 5 1/2 years so I'm still eating my way through the city :). Mother's is OK, but way overrated for the price and time you spend waiting in line with all the tourists just to get in the darn door.

Splitlip
05-04-2008, 19:12
Here are a couple of homemades.

1. Fry a burger, dress it up with a little ketchup, fresh spinach, and brie cheese.

2. Toast a bagel. Add a little cream cheese, a little lox, a thin slice of tomato, and a thin slice of onion.

Uh... this is the man laws forum.:smiley2: How about a quiche?

(although having grown up in NYC & LI and living in So Fla, I AM a big fan of bagels and lox. But that is breakfast man.)

DollFin
05-04-2008, 19:36
Uh... this is the man laws forum.:smiley2: How about a quiche?

*has a feeling Largo only posted those to pull your chain. ;)

Splitlip
05-04-2008, 19:41
M'thinks you are correct :)

elijahb
05-04-2008, 19:49
cheese steak by far

Mooha182
05-04-2008, 20:36
cheese steak by far

Totaly 100% Correct :smiley20:

I have also been craving Subway melt subs but thats not nearly as good as a nice cheese steak on a lightly toasted bun! Shameless plug for jersey mike subs.

edl
05-04-2008, 20:50
good ole BLT cant go wrong

torrey
05-04-2008, 20:56
Gotta second the muffaletta. A few years ago, I thought I hated olives until I got ahold of one of these. Don't see them too many places around here, but I like Jason's Deli muffaletta's best so far.

matt151617
05-04-2008, 21:21
Big giant hamburger, with tons of cheddar cheese, bacon, and about half a gallon of bbq sauce.

Deli sandwiches? Normally, roast beef with spicy mustard, american cheese, on rye. In New York City? Pastrami on rye with spicy mustard.

CFDAlden
05-05-2008, 00:05
Another vote for a GOOD Ruben. Hard to find, but, when you do.... :)

Defman
05-05-2008, 07:02

Great burger! If you want to try another great burger look up a place called "Hole in the Wall" on Harry Hines close to 635. Greasy, homemade... Like mama usda make! Ummmmm..

Best burgers in Dallas died several years ago, literally. Rose's on Greenville. RIP, Rose!

Defman
05-05-2008, 07:08
Hard to beat a good Cuban sandwich for sure!

I'm a big fan of the Schlotzsky's Texas Special... Basically a hot ham & cheese with jalapeņos, lettuce , tom's, on jalapeņo/cheese bread..... I usually add a little Louisiana hot sauce too...

BSea
05-05-2008, 08:24
For a diving related sandwich, try a lobster rueben. We found this place (http://www.keysfisheries.com/restaurant.html) on Marathon in the Keys. They have a lobster rueben big enough for 2 people. Now it's a must place to eat whenever we go to the keys. And I'm not a huge rueben fan, but I love this sandwich. Maybe it's because the only time I can have 1 is when I go to the keys.

I haven't tried to make one. Mainly it's just to much trouble to get fresh lobster, then turn it into a sandwich.

OilfieldTrash
05-05-2008, 15:43
Gotta second the muffaletta.

You're obviously a person of great wisdom and taste.

Bigg_Budd
05-05-2008, 15:53
Sorry fellas, but this is the undisputed heavyweight for sandwiches: Primanti Brothers Restaurant - Pittsburgh's Most Famous Sandwiches (http://www.primantibrothers.com/)

My personal favorite, the Cheesesteak: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Pit_aug01_024.jpg

mitsuguy
05-05-2008, 16:03
nothing extra special, but my favorite deli sandwich is the Club Royale from Jasons Deli...

Splitlip
05-05-2008, 16:13
For a diving related sandwich, try a lobster rueben. We found this place (http://www.keysfisheries.com/restaurant.html) on Marathon in the Keys. They have a lobster rueben big enough for 2 people. Now it's a must place to eat whenever we go to the keys. And I'm not a huge rueben fan, but I love this sandwich. Maybe it's because the only time I can have 1 is when I go to the keys.

I haven't tried to make one. Mainly it's just to much trouble to get fresh lobster, then turn it into a sandwich.

Great tip. Thanks

cummings66
05-05-2008, 16:14
BBQ Beef Brisket.

Murloc
05-05-2008, 16:39
told ya my favorite cuban was to be had at silver ring cafe...found their website....worth the visit

Silver Ring Cafe (http://www.silverringybor.com/)

Splitlip
05-05-2008, 16:44
My favorite Cuban.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjA5ODYwMjg3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzI4NzQ2._V1._ CR0,0,342,342_SS90_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/rg/photos-name/summary/media/rm964073472/nm0000789)

Murloc
05-05-2008, 17:10
Split, you got some splainin' to do.....

Sounder
05-05-2008, 17:10
There is a drive-in place in Seattle that is an institution. It's called D!ck's Drive-in. There is NOTHING better than grabbing a bag of D*ck's and filling the void that is my stomach!! :smiley20:

They've combined "Double-D's" and "DIR" in the same web address - two of my favorite things!! Dicks Drive In Restaurant (http://www.ddir.com/) :smiley2:

BuzzF117
05-05-2008, 18:58
Im partial to the meatball w/cheese from Gregs Volcano Pizza in Elkhart IN 574-875-6568

Splitlip
05-05-2008, 19:08
Im partial to the meatball w/cheese from Gregs Volcano Pizza in Elkhart IN 574-875-6568
RV capitol of the world.

Largo
05-05-2008, 19:30
I wasn't joking about those sandwiches. I found out about the burger because I was trying to make something out of stuff that I had laying around. Seriously, the homemade burger with brie and fresh spinach is AWESOME. You cannot stand up and eat it. It tastes so good that it interferes with your motor skills.

Splitlip
05-05-2008, 19:44
I wasn't joking about those sandwiches. I found out about the burger because I was trying to make something out of stuff that I had laying around. Seriously, the homemade burger with brie and fresh spinach is AWESOME. You cannot stand up and eat it. It tastes so good that it interferes with your motor skills.

My Mom makes these for her girl friends with stuff she has laying around the house. Hope it helps.:smiley2:

Cucumber Slices (for Garnish)
Parsleys Sprigs (for Garnish)
1 lb. wheat bread
A few tablespoons mayonnaise
1 small onions - grated
12 oz. softened cream cheeses
2 medium cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and grated

Step 1.1
Combine the cucumbers and cream cheese (http://www.ehow.com/how_2732_make-cucumber-cream.html#), then blend in the onion.
Step 2.2
Add in a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise and blend until the mixture is soft and spreadable. Add a little more mayonnaise to soften further.
Step 3.3
Cut the crusts off the bread, then either cut each piece into fourths or cut into diamonds.
Step 4.4
Spread mixture over half the bread pieces, then top with another piece of bread.
Step 5.5
Garnish with parsley or cucumber.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/TeaSandwiches.JPG

DiverBry
05-05-2008, 20:11

My Mom makes these for her girl friends with stuff she has laying around the house. Hope it helps.:smiley2:

Cucumber Slices (for Garnish)
Parsleys Sprigs (for Garnish)
1 lb. wheat bread
A few tablespoons mayonnaise
1 small onions - grated
12 oz. softened cream cheeses
2 medium cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and grated

Step 1.1
Combine the cucumbers and cream cheese (http://www.ehow.com/how_2732_make-cucumber-cream.html#), then blend in the onion.
Step 2.2
Add in a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise and blend until the mixture is soft and spreadable. Add a little more mayonnaise to soften further.
Step 3.3
Cut the crusts off the bread, then either cut each piece into fourths or cut into diamonds.
Step 4.4
Spread mixture over half the bread pieces, then top with another piece of bread.
Step 5.5
Garnish with parsley or cucumber.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/TeaSandwiches.JPG

Sounds good... except I'd substitute it all for buffalo wings.

CFDAlden
05-06-2008, 02:15
If we're going to talk burgers, theres a local place that does ala cart burgers. You get your base 1/2 pound burger, then add your choice(s):

Sauteed onions, sauteed pepers, chili, bacon, jalapenos, chipolte's, slaw, 5 different cheeses, onion rings, fries, lettuce, tomato, onion, sprouts, pickles. I think I hit them all.

Used to be, if you could do a double with all of the above, you ate free. :)

buddhasummer
05-06-2008, 02:16
BLT for sure...

ohiodiver
05-06-2008, 05:33
one of my favorites is the guacamole burger from cheeseburger in paradise in waikiki.........................the only reason I venture into waikiki

hoobascooba
05-06-2008, 07:35
all-around favorite is Arby's Philly Cheese Steak Sub.

Locally, anything from The Shed (http://www.theshedbbq.com/).

DollFin
05-06-2008, 09:46
For burgers, Port-o-Call here in New Orleans is AMAZING!!

mm2002
05-06-2008, 10:08
My favorite sammich in the whole world is a Schlotzsky's original. Yummmm!
I now have to drive 35 miles to get one, but I do it!

thor
05-06-2008, 13:15
Any sandwich served on Italian bread from Arthur Ave. in the Bronx.
Also a turkey club from a good diner can't be beat.

MSilvia
05-06-2008, 14:19
Grilled foccacia bread with fried eggplant, roasted red pepper, fresh buffalo mozarella, and a pile of good prosciutto.

navyhmc
05-06-2008, 15:09
Grilled foccacia bread with fried eggplant, roasted red pepper, fresh buffalo mozarella, and a pile of good prosciutto.

Man you are lucky! if I didn't know what proscuitto was, I would have been sending the man cops your way to tear up your man card. :smilie39:

Does sound good though. Maybe a little Capicola to bring it up a notch 'BAM'!

russp
05-06-2008, 17:36
I haven't been able to find one since moving to Texas but in Jersey, there was nothing like an Italian Hot Dog. It's half a pizza roll (kind of like a pita but thick) stuffed with two hot dogs, fried red and green peppers, fried onions, fried potatoes and lot's of hot mustard.

spatman
05-06-2008, 17:42

dude, you are taking back down memory lane. i haven't been to arthur ave since i was a kid. some of the best fresh mozzarella cheese i've ever had was from arthur ave.

IrishSquid
05-06-2008, 19:59
I wonder how long it's going to take this thread to go where I KNOW it will eventually go.

WELLLLLL......... Since it's the Mans Forum, I shall not disappoint ya Doll.
My favorite sandwich is: Me between 2 hot babes!
:smilie39: :smilie39:

Splitlip
05-06-2008, 20:11

I'm dying here!

Splitlip
05-06-2008, 20:17

Squid Honey, I must admit your post "moved me" and I opened your profile. I was a little disappointed to see just one pic of you and it was in dive gear. Guess I'll have to use my imagination. (teeheehee)

This is me in dive gear. I try not to leave too much to the imagination though. (now you know why they call me "split tail". I mean splitlip :smiley2:.

DollFin
05-06-2008, 20:52

I'm just surprised it took THIS long to get there! LOL!!!

thor
05-07-2008, 09:45

dude, you are taking back down memory lane. i haven't been to arthur ave since i was a kid. some of the best fresh mozzarella cheese i've ever had was from arthur ave.

Ever have a Cannoli from Artuso's? Now that is heaven in a pastry shell.

bullshark
05-07-2008, 10:18
a cheesesteak fron Captain Harvey's subs now thats good cheesesteak

Darth Fishhead
05-07-2008, 10:52
Ruben, have to make it at home though, cause most restaurants make them like crap.
Second that!!!

I am also a fan of the Monte Cristo. I think it has turkey and swiss but I cannot recall the other ingredients, other than that the best one I ever had was on French toast!!! SOOooOOo good!

torrey
05-07-2008, 12:25
One of the best sandwiches I've ever had was the day after Thanksgiving, but it wasn't turkey. We had some spiral-cut honey-baked ham leftover, and my mom had just had her first try at making an olive-loaf in her new breadmaker. The two went together perfectly.

MSilvia
05-07-2008, 15:13

I'm dying here!
Dying from a craving for my delicious sandwich, no doubt.

If you like cubans though, check out a Chilean chacarero sometime. It's different (and spicy), but has a lot of the same appeal.

Black-Gorrilla
05-07-2008, 15:32
Hungry Bear (across the street from miami dade college)
cheese steak and onions with bacon and mushrooms cooked into it.
honey mustard
white bread
mayo
salt and pepper
provolone cheese.
lettuce
(i used to miss class to go there before the rush)

Splitlip
05-07-2008, 16:46

I'm dying here!
Dying from a craving for my delicious sandwich, no doubt.

If you like cubans though, check out a Chilean chacarero sometime. It's different (and spicy), but has a lot of the same appeal.

Thanks. Will do.

Splitlip
05-07-2008, 16:49
honey mustard
white bread
mayo
salt and pepper
provolone cheese.
lettuce

Is it possible to just rub that mixture in to your chest to guarantee a coronary?:smiley36:
Sounds groovy.

IrishSquid
05-07-2008, 20:22

I'd have posted much quicker, but I checked all posts first so I wouldn't be echoing.

mm2002
05-07-2008, 20:29

I'd have posted much quicker, but I checked all posts first so I wouldn't be echoing.

I had something clever to say, but it would probably get this thread deleted.

IrishSquid
05-07-2008, 20:58
Splitlip, these are for you.
As you can see, my favorite sandwich is just an old man's fantasy. Guess it's just a PB & J for me! :smiley36:
I don't have any digitals of my old surfboards or I'd post them.

Splitlip
05-07-2008, 21:43
Splitlip, these are for you.
As you can see, my favorite sandwich is just an old man's fantasy. Guess it's just a PB & J for me! :smiley36:
I don't have any digitals of my old surfboards or I'd post them.

Nice looking scooter though.

I always wanted an FLH. (What model is that? Classic?) Now that I can afford one I am living with a teenaged girl who takes up alot of my time. (my daughter you animals)

I did rebuild a 57 Pan with my bro when I was in high school though. Have owned 2 Sporties and a Super Glide (actually Low Rider). Also had a 125 Rapido :smiley36:.

Like the cage driver tells Michael Parks in Then Came Bronson, "Man, I wish I was you." Another couple years I'll have my knees back in the breeze.

Ride safe.

IrishSquid
05-08-2008, 21:13

I always wanted an FLH. (What model is that? Classic?) Now that I can afford one I am living with a teenaged girl who takes up alot of my time. (my daughter you animals)

I did rebuild a 57 Pan with my bro when I was in high school though. Have owned 2 Sporties and a Super Glide (actually Low Rider). Also had a 125 Rapido :smiley36:.

Like the cage driver tells Michael Parks in Then Came Bronson, "Man, I wish I was you." Another couple years I'll have my knees back in the breeze.

Ride safe.

It's a 2000 Roadking. It was purchased at a police auction (the best way to purchase a Roadking in my opinion). They take pretty good care of them, used one year on the freeway, regular maintenance, and you can usually get them for around 10K to 13K. Put around 2K into paint and chrome, voila; you end up with a Roadking like mine. I got 14K in mine and it has been running trouble free. It's a 1400cc, fuel injected, and runs like a scalded dog. Hell, I got a 1200 Sportster custom also, but I had to give the dealership 12k for it! :smiley29:

Largo
05-08-2008, 21:34
If you are ever in Brazil, try a Bauru.

(Sandwich)

Splitlip
05-08-2008, 21:39

Ride safe.

It's a 2000 Roadking. It was purchased at a police auction (the best way to purchase a Roadking in my opinion). They take pretty good care of them, used one year on the freeway, regular maintenance, and you can usually get them for around 10K to 13K. Put around 2K into paint and chrome, voila; you end up with a Roadking like mine. I got 14K in mine and it has been running trouble free. It's a 1400cc, fuel injected, and runs like a scalded dog. Hell, I got a 1200 Sportster custom also, but I had to give the dealership 12k for it! :smiley29:

Nice!.
Road King. That's it. Used a buddy's one weekend.
You know I did a big job for the local SO motor pool, a few years ago and the local admin guys suggested I do that. Go to the auction I mean. I just might get on the stick here.
Thanks.
Tim

Black-Gorrilla
05-08-2008, 23:00
honey mustard
white bread
mayo
salt and pepper
provolone cheese.
lettuce

Is it possible to just rub that mixture in to your chest to guarantee a coronary?:smiley36:
Sounds groovy.

hearts skip beats as you walk in the door. and yes... that mix on your chest will give you the coronary... but it tastes better if eaten.
it's delicious!! im going there tomorrow for sure... cause my mouth is watering right now!!

Black-Gorrilla
05-08-2008, 23:06
If you are ever in Brazil, try a Bauru.

(Sandwich)

bauru is good... but i preffer pastel de bauru.

there is a little strip in Ubatuba (beach town in brasil.) Silvios... a small kart, thats just a grill with like 6 plastic chairs in front of it.
i wish i had a picture... cause you will not believe me.
and they have a sandwich called a X-Tudao (cheese everything... like cheese burger... but cheese everything.)
its pretttttyyyy BIG... and cheap... like 8 bux (usd)
here is the list...
-Burger Bun
-Cheese (2 types)
-Burger patty
-Chicken
-Sausage (like bbq sausage... not hot dog)
-ham
-letuce
-onion
-mashed potatoes
-onion
-mayo
-ketchup
-corn
and im sure im missing at least 4-5 things that are in there...
one of those is good for at least 2 regular size people...
and yes... ate one alone...

aaronle06
05-09-2008, 01:36
im not much into franchise food, but the royal red robin burger at Red Robin next to the North East mall in DFW has it down.

its like this:
100% beef patty
lettuce
tomato
mayo
and a fried egg with creamy yolk

on top of bottomless fries.

JTMoney
05-09-2008, 01:46
Anything from Firehouse Subs.:yumyum:

Black-Gorrilla
05-09-2008, 02:58

i'll ask since ur in FL...
where can i find one?

Murloc
05-09-2008, 07:33
I know firehouse sub shops are starting to spread...been to a couple in Jax, G,ville, and Tampa(actually Brandon)

thor
05-09-2008, 08:32

I'm sorry, but I can only stand by quietly for so long. I keep hearing people say that franchises like Arby's, Schlotsky's, and now Firehouse Subs have the best sandwiches. That is like saying that Domino's makes the best pizza. People, people. Live a little. There is no way that any of these places compare to the REAL thing. Now go forth and find a real deli, or sandwich shop. Live damn it, Live.

JTMoney
05-09-2008, 10:27

I'm sorry, but I can only stand by quietly for so long. I keep hearing people say that franchises like Arby's, Schlotsky's, and now Firehouse Subs have the best sandwiches. That is like saying that Domino's makes the best pizza. People, people. Live a little. There is no way that any of these places compare to the REAL thing. Now go forth and find a real deli, or sandwich shop. Live damn it, Live.

You sir, have obviously never been to a Firehouse. Arby's is fast food which could never compare to a real sandwich place, all of the big chain pizza's suck, but Firehouse makes really good subs. I've been eating them since they first started in Jacksonville.

JTMoney
05-09-2008, 10:30

i'll ask since ur in FL...
where can i find one?

Looks like there's one in Hollywood, Ft Lauderdale, and Plantation.

BSea
05-09-2008, 10:46

You sir, have obviously never been to a Firehouse. Arby's is fast food which could never compare to a real sandwich place, all of the big chain pizza's suck, but Firehouse makes really good subs. I've been eating them since they first started in Jacksonville.I have to agree with Thor on this. If it's a chain, they just can't keep the quality that makes something special. Plus if you can get it anywhere, then it's just not special by definition. Give me the "One of a Kind" place anyday.

Now I like Firehouse sandwiches for what they are, but they don't hold a candle to the Lobster rueben I mentioned earlier. And I didn't even mention the best place to get a grouper sandwich. Partly because I don't remember the name of the place (but I know how to get there), and as good as it was, it wasn't "THE BEST" sandwich.

thor
05-09-2008, 10:58

You sir, have obviously never been to a Firehouse. Arby's is fast food which could never compare to a real sandwich place, all of the big chain pizza's suck, but Firehouse makes really good subs. I've been eating them since they first started in Jacksonville.

Quote from Firehouse Website:
" Our New York Steamer Sub was inspired by New York's Best Delis"

Ergo, a copy at best. You can almost guarantee that when you have something called a New York Style Pizza, Chicago Hot Dog, Philly Cheese Steak, Texas barbecue, etc., it is never as good as the original.

Fla has a deli called Too Jays, that's not bad, but still not great.

DollFin
05-09-2008, 11:33

:smiley32::smiley20: THANK YOU!!!! There used to be a TGIFridays in the French Quarter here. I would always wonder "You come to New Orleans, one of the best cities in the world for food, you're in the Quarter where there are great restaurants everywhere you look. who the hell would want to go to Fridays????" Fortunately they never reopened after Katrina and the space is now used for a local place. :)

mm2002
05-09-2008, 11:38
You can say what you want about Schlotskies, but they make the best damn sandwich in the world in my opinion, even if they are a chain. :smiley2:

Beaucoupfishies
05-09-2008, 11:40
:smiley32::smiley20: THANK YOU!!!! There used to be a TGIFridays in the French Quarter here. I would always wonder "You come to New Orleans, one of the bist cities in the world for food, you're in the Quarter where there are great restaurants everywhere you look. who the hell would want to go to Fridays????" Fortunately they never reopened after Katrina and the space is now used for a local place. :)

I do think going somewhere local and/or new is better, but I can also understand wanting to be able to go to a place where you know exactly what you're going to get. Sometimes you just want to eat something without taking a chance (though you never know what kind of cook you're going to get a chain for that matter). :)

Since we moved to Tampa, we've been looking for good Indian and Thai places and keep having bad experiences, so we're starting to get weary of trying local places and just waiting till we go to St.Louis again this Summer. :smiley36:

torrey
05-09-2008, 12:40

We've got a couple here in Plano...my wife likes them, but I just think they're so-so. Maybe it's because they steam their meat. I either it like it cold, or I like it toasted (e.g. quizno's).

You can say what you want about Schlotskies, but they make the best damn sandwich in the world in my opinion, even if they are a chain. :smiley2:

The Texas Schlotzky isn't bad...I just wish the bread wasn't so spongey.

torrey
05-09-2008, 12:44
:smiley32::smiley20: THANK YOU!!!! There used to be a TGIFridays in the French Quarter here. I would always wonder "You come to New Orleans, one of the best cities in the world for food, you're in the Quarter where there are great restaurants everywhere you look. who the hell would want to go to Fridays????" Fortunately they never reopened after Katrina and the space is now used for a local place. :)

Reminds how in Cozumel, the McDonald's is right off the pier where the cruise ships come in. I can only imagine how many tourists can't wait to get a big mac when they see the sign. Seriously, go into town and free your senses for once.

Murloc
05-09-2008, 12:52
Boar's Head Recipes for the Holidays (http://www.boarshead.com/holidayrecipe64.php)

we have a contender......

Beaucoupfishies
05-09-2008, 12:59
Boar's Head Recipes for the Holidays (http://www.boarshead.com/holidayrecipe64.php)

I want to see them stuff that into a pita!

DiverBry
05-09-2008, 21:33

So, the question is, do I cut it in halves or quarters?

aaronle06
05-10-2008, 00:12

...yeah they opened one up here in arlington, texas and when we went there I was sick of sandwiches so I got the PB&J. No, I'm not 5, but you got to feed the child inside of you or it will die:smiley11::smiley_cryingHyster. haha.

Goober
05-18-2008, 14:15
Jessica Alba moaning.

buddylee9898
05-18-2008, 14:25
Long Island deli egg sandwich, full of eggs, bacon, cheese, pepper, its an awesome breakfast

Splitlip
05-18-2008, 15:07
Just made me think. Pepper and egg hero.

Sansho
05-18-2008, 15:17
One favorite is rye bread, thousand island dressing, coleslaw, and roast beef. Don't know if there's a name for it, however, it's a tasty sandwich.

Skinsfan1311
05-20-2008, 11:30
any guy who lists monte cristo sandwiches though needs to turn his man card in at the door.

:smiley36:

What's a Monte Cristo sandwich?

Do I have to check turn in my man card if I say, "Imported prosciutto, mozzarella, olive-oil, balsamic vinegar on crusty Italian bread" ?

TRACI
05-20-2008, 11:38
My vote is for a Monte Cristo too, ....hmmmm!

paulwall
05-22-2008, 08:55
In New Orleans:

A toasted Muffaletta from DiMartino's. The ones from Serio's have the best olive salad, but they're not toasted. What are they thinking?

A Media Noche from Liborio. Sadly, they can't find the bread anymore since the storm. Ham, cheese, pickles pressed into Midnight bread...

New York:

A real ruben from a real deli, not a tourist trap. Wrapped in butcher paper and 5" thick

Florida - Grilled Grouper sandwich eaten in view of the water from whence the fish came. Light mayo and Tomato... Dewey's in Destin comes to mind.

Isola di Capri, Italy. In Anacapri, a small butcher shop's owner made us a Prosciutto, Buffalo Mozzarella, and Local Tomato Salad on crispy italian bread. My mouth waters just thinking about it. Ate it looking out over the blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea.

Rileybri
05-22-2008, 10:05
YA have to go to Barrie's deli in Wabin MA for this one but IMHO a heaping mound of lean corned beef, chopped liver, and coal slaw with Russian dressing! HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!! Now that is a sandwich.

Splitlip
05-22-2008, 17:50
YA have to go to Barrie's deli in Wabin MA for this one but IMHO a heaping mound of lean corned beef, chopped liver, and coal slaw with Russian dressing! HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!! Now that is a sandwich.

OK. Another one of my faves..substitute turkey and bacon for the corned beef. Serve on rye. Cooky's Deli on Long Island used to make the best. Too Jays will make you one in SoFla, but you need to ask for it. Turkey and bacon with a shmear of chopped liver. Russian and slaw on the side.

Rileybri
05-22-2008, 20:26

OK. Another one of my faves..substitute turkey and bacon for the corned beef. Serve on rye. Cooky's Deli on Long Island used to make the best. Too Jays will make you one in SoFla, but you need to ask for it. Turkey and bacon with a shmear of chopped liver. Russian and slaw on the side.

Ok I'm with you hear, we all know everything is better with bacon! now take a shmear of cranberry on one side of the bread and you have my dream Jewish day after Thanks Giving!!

Marcus
05-22-2008, 20:47
This is a tough topic, because it is all based on where one has been. If the quesion is which TYPE of sandwich is best, then it is tough. To tell the truth, I think that some of the best sandwiches are made at home, if you know what to do. Great paninis, fresh ingredients. If I had to choose my most memorable sandwich, I guess my favorite would be:

BBW Oyster Po Boy at Redfish Grill, in New Orleans. I'm from New York, but I don't think I've had much better food than in New Orleans. This is a GREAT sandwich. Not a typical Po Boy, as the Oysters are flash fried, and not cornmeal crusted. Try one. Real good.

Also love Cheesesteaks, Paninis on country bread with Pesto, buffalo Moz, confit tomatoes, cubans, amongst many others.

Waterdog
05-23-2008, 10:37
Maybe it was because we were just hungry after diving all day, or it could have been the mojitos, but the Cuban Sandwiches at this place in Key West still make my mouth water thinking about them.

El Meson de Pepe (http://www.elmesondepepe.com)

Madmax1997
05-23-2008, 21:08
Gouda & proscuitto panini sandwich:

Brush both sides of the slices of bread with olive oil or butter. Assemble the sandwich layers as follows: prepared bread, smoked gouda, prosciutto, onions, tomato, fontina, and bread. Place in a panini press (or in a heated grill pan or saute pan pressed with another heavy pan) and cook until crisp and golden. Serve immediately.

You can substitute proscuitto by sopressata and/or mortadella (slice very thin but put a load) and brie cheese...

scubasamurai
05-23-2008, 22:01
sorry guys and gals, a great sandwich a everything bagel with hebrew national salami , bacon, pickles and lettuce. simple and a pleasure to eat!!

bullshark
05-25-2008, 09:37
anything from Anthony's deli in ocean city, Md

jtkkym
05-25-2008, 09:55
My PBJ!

Rileybri
05-25-2008, 10:23
I am very happy to announce that Burlington VT just got a new treat! Sadie Catz Deli!!! I "true" NYC Jewish style deli. The get there meets flown in fresh and only to shelf. I have to say I was a skeptic till yesterday that is. Got my self the true deli litmus test, the Woodie Allen! Yes how lean pastrami, corned beef and chopped liver on seeded rye with deli mustard. Yes my friends they did this true masterpiece proud. I see a new XXL exposure suit in my future.....

divingchef
05-25-2008, 12:18
Jessica Alba moaning.

darn, Gooderdude....you make me hungry!

D

divingchef
05-25-2008, 12:23
Not to "belittle" this thread with a fast food comment, because the comments and sandwiches listed here are really great.....but I don't ever "crave" any of those......kind of weird, but the only sandwich I ever "crave" is an In-and-Out burger.....double-double, animal style!

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 15:04
The best sandwiches are always the ones that someone else made!

DollFin
05-25-2008, 16:58
Not to "belittle" this thread with a fast food comment, because the comments and sandwiches listed here are really great.....but I don't ever "crave" any of those......kind of weird, but the only sandwich I ever "crave" is an In-and-Out burger.....double-double, animal style!

OK, mabe we could start a "Best Burger" thread! One of the only things I miss about living in Orange County is In-and-Out! (OK, Tommy's is a close 2nd).

cummings66
05-25-2008, 21:20
I was told today that the BBQ beef brisket sandwich I made was better than that of a much more expensive restaurant that a friend went to yesterday. So, IMO that is the best sandwich I know of and I can make them at home. It takes a long time to do it though, BBQ is very long in the making if you do it right. Well worth it and better than most places I've eaten BBQ at.

bullshark
05-25-2008, 22:36
of course there is always ever popular my face sandwitched between a woman's thigh's

Goober
05-25-2008, 22:37
Jessica Alba moaning.

darn, Gooderdude....you make me hungry!

D

:metoo:

DOWNDEEP73
05-25-2008, 22:39
of course there is always ever popular my face between a woman's thigh's
So your saying Tuna Sandwich?

DEF
05-26-2008, 21:36
Best burger- Thruman burger Thurmans Cafe, Columbus Oh.
Best BBQ- brisket Big Tim's St. Pete. Fl.

Rileybri
05-26-2008, 23:26
A thing of beauty! The afore mentioned "Woodie Allen" from Sadie Catz Deli. This FYI is the small sized version.......Hot Lean Pastrami, Corned Beef, chopped liver and a shmeer of deli mustard on fresh rye.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/rileybri/05-24-08_1343.jpg

bobby_hirst
05-29-2008, 17:21
Being from Chicago, you can't go wrong with a combination Italian Beef / Italian Sausage sandwich topped off with hot peppers and marinara sauce. They're to die for! After eating those during the course of a lifetime, that may actually come true. :)

rawalker
05-29-2008, 18:52
For hot sandwiches I like any of a bunch of Italian heros.
Veal Parm
Meatball Parm
Sausage and peppers Parm
Shrimp Parm
Eggplant Parm

For cold sandwiches I'd say any of the classic kosher deli meats on a good NY Rye bread.

doczerothree
05-29-2008, 18:55
Cuban are great. got intro-ed to them when I first came out here from Texas. In the words of El Tigre...."they're greaat!!

Easydiver
05-29-2008, 19:51
Dixie's in Bellevue: BBQ Pork

Darth Fishhead
06-07-2008, 13:44
any guy who lists monte cristo sandwiches though needs to turn his man card in at the door.
I am defending my man card and the Monte Cristo! The monte cristos I've had were awesome! Meat, cheese, dressing on french toast. What's more manly than making a sandwich, and saying, you know what would rock? Dipping the bread in eggs and FRYING it before completing this bad boy. I know that some may balk at the sweet addition of maple, but I see nothing wrong with sweet. Doughnuts are sweet. Homer Simpson isn't less manly because he eats doughnuts, is he?

Splitlip
06-07-2008, 13:56
For hot sandwiches I like any of a bunch of Italian heros.
Veal Parm
Meatball Parm
Sausage and peppers Parm
Shrimp Parm
Eggplant Parm

For cold sandwiches I'd say any of the classic kosher deli meats on a good NY Rye bread.

Almost asked where you were from when you posted "hero". Checked your profile. LI. Me too after 12 years in Queens.
Now living in SoFla.

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 07:34
Atlantic City style bacon cheese steak LTO. It might stop your heart eventually.

jaxjags64109
06-08-2008, 08:24
I'm a big guy and rarely would I consider a sandwich a meal...its just a snack usually...however, if you are ever in Kansas, City MO. up north of the river on Antioch street is a deli named Giovanni's and they make a Reuben that qualifies as a meal. There are not a lot of "real" delis in the Midwest, but Giovanni's Reuben Sandwich would satisfy even the ardent East coast deli critics, as my friend from Jersey can atest.

moosicman
06-08-2008, 22:26
I don't think I've replied to this thread yet, so here is my fav. sandwich with extras:

Grilled cheese & bacon sandwich with tomato soup!!! I love this as much as any meal I can get, including a steak or some great italian pasta. And here is how you make it:

Bread (butter one side only of course), Kraft American Cheese slices (2), three slices of bacon (per sandwich), oregano, onion salt, paprika, and basil and grill until brown. For the soup, pour the condensed soup into bowl and fill the can with half water, half milk, stir in, heat and serve!

Must be in these proportions: 1 can (2nd can optional), and 3 sandwiches to dip EVERY BITE into the soup. There is something magical that happens when you combine the sandwich and the soup into one bite (like an Oreo and milk). Ok, now I gotta go eat. Yummmmmmmmmy!

torrey
06-09-2008, 12:05
In New Orleans:

A toasted Muffaletta from DiMartino's. The ones from Serio's have the best olive salad, but they're not toasted. What are they thinking?

Have you ever watched "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" on the Food Network? Bobby challenged Serio's to a muffaletta contest. Bobby's wasn't quite authentic, but looked good nonetheless. It looks like it's coming on again tomorrow at 12:30 ET.

TV : Throwdown with Bobby Flay : Muffaletta : Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_bt/episode/0,2857,FOOD_26696_52368,00.html)

thor
06-09-2008, 12:38
I don't think I've replied to this thread yet, so here is my fav. sandwich with extras:

Grilled cheese & bacon sandwich with tomato soup!!! I love this as much as any meal I can get, including a steak or some great italian pasta. And here is how you make it:

Bread (butter one side only of course), Kraft American Cheese slices (2), three slices of bacon (per sandwich), oregano, onion salt, paprika, and basil and grill until brown. For the soup, pour the condensed soup into bowl and fill the can with half water, half milk, stir in, heat and serve!

Must be in these proportions: 1 can (2nd can optional), and 3 sandwiches to dip EVERY BITE into the soup. There is something magical that happens when you combine the sandwich and the soup into one bite (like an Oreo and milk). Ok, now I gotta go eat. Yummmmmmmmmy!

I've never had it with bacon, but grilled cheese and tomato soup is my ultimate comfort food. Couldn't agree more about the dipping.

digitalman
07-04-2008, 23:21
alright gentlemen.....time to lay it on the line. what kind of sandwich is the best sandwich? Cheese steak?...Reuben?...BBQ?...BLT?

list your favorite sandwich and preferred way of having it fixed. Cheese steak with provolone or cheddar for example. any guy who lists monte cristo sandwiches though needs to turn his man card in at the door.

Monte Cristo is a glorified fried ham and cheese. How can you go wrong with anything fried??

whitworthsa
07-05-2008, 20:22
Cheese steak with edam and chopped veggies served with beef-dip style au jus. mmmm

Eddym67
07-05-2008, 20:48
My all time favorite:

San Francisco Sourdough Bread
Vine Ripened Tomatoes
Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
Cream Cheese
Mayo
Oven-Roasted Sliced Turkey
Imported Swiss Cheese
Salt + Pepper

Served with a big dill pickle and a Root Beer!
With Avocado!!!

jimmysdevoted
07-05-2008, 21:27
three slices rye bread with seeds.
fresh cold carved turkey breast
fresh cold carved roast beef
fresh thin sliced turkey ham
fresh cooked turkey bacon
thin sliced extra sharp aged swiss cheeese
banana pepper rings
slicedblack olives
dijonaise

spread a nice layer fo dijonaise on one sid eof slice of bread.
layer 1-2 cheeseslices on prepared bread, then a few slices of each met on each side layer, top with pepper rings and olives. apply dijonaise to center slice on both sides and repeat layering. squash down as flat as you can and if possible grill on both sides to make cheese melt just a bit.

serve with steak fries and coleslaw and 1/2 sour kosher pickle, Dr. Browns cream soda, coffee and cheesecake for dessert and hot pretzle for snack.....

julie

Eddym67
07-05-2008, 21:50
banana pepper rings
slicedblack olives
dijonaise

layer 1-2 cheeseslices on prepared bread, then a few slices of each met on each side layer, top with pepper rings and olives. apply dijonaise to center slice on both sides and repeat layering. squash down as flat as you can and if possible grill on both sides to make cheese melt just a bit.

serve with steak fries and coleslaw and 1/2 sour kosher pickle, Dr. Browns cream soda, coffee and cheesecake for dessert and hot pretzle for snack.....

julie
OMG! That IS the sandwich, just add green onions and avocado and Max's Opera House Cheesecake!!!!!!!!!!!

Sasha_K
07-05-2008, 22:05
quiznos all the way - chicken carbonera.

digitalman
07-05-2008, 23:06
banana pepper rings
slicedblack olives
dijonaise

julie
OMG! That IS the sandwich, just add green onions and avocado and Max's Opera House Cheesecake!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not a side of Alfredo sauce to dip in? If you're gonna die, die happy.

digitalman
07-05-2008, 23:07

I prefer subway over quiznos...don't know why.

Eddym67
07-05-2008, 23:12
Homemade IS Always better. My preference. Was "Best Sandwich"? Store or Home made? Do love a Shrimp Hoagie in New Orleans.

jimmysdevoted
07-06-2008, 01:16
arthur avenue? teh bronx.. I can move but not escape. My family was from Daily( daly) avenue. My garndmother used to shop on arthur avenue and i used to tag along...
I was from the Island, ( central Islip) so many places came back to haunt me.. the only food you cant get here in TN is a good pizza....... good rye bread... good corned beef.. pastrami.. I have learned to make my own 1/2 sours and have won ribbons with them

I have slowly become southern, but every now and then you need fix of real food............

j

Karletto
07-06-2008, 10:56
probably kebab with salad, onion, tomtoes, mayonesse njam njam :smiley20: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/D%C3%B6ner_kebab.jpg/200px-D%C3%B6ner_kebab.jpg

Splitlip
07-06-2008, 11:10
I have slowly become southern
j

Better turn in your BBQ (Brooklyn-Bronx-Queens) card :)

harb99
07-07-2008, 09:33

those are good, but I would not call them my favorite

tndiverdude
07-13-2008, 16:46
I made that sandwich with a few variations. No olive, no green stuff.
I used turkey, bacon, turkey ham, provolone cheese and miracle whip on one side and mustard on the other it was too big!

gooooood eating.

MacDiver
07-13-2008, 18:10
I'm a big fan of breakfast sandwiches. A nice big bagel with 4 scrambled eggs, a heap of bacon, and melted cheddar everywhere. :)

SkuaSeptember
07-13-2008, 18:11
Home grown beef steak tomatoes, Land O'Lakes White American cheese and Miracle Whip on Canadian brown bread. Thats lunch at least 3 times a week as soon as the garden starts producing. If there isn't any cheese I go with fresh basil!

OH-JJ
07-13-2008, 21:44
When I was in college, there was a street vendor called originally enough "Street Treats." He make the best cheese steaks, gyros, and Italian beefs.

As for Chain stores... my rule when traveling is no chain stores. what a waste it is to travel someplace only to eat the exact same thin g you can have anytime when you are at home?

Oh and of course my most favorite appetizer.... to quote Doogie, "I'll take a fur burger hold the fur."

LRDWILDER
07-14-2008, 15:19
In Boston....Al's State Street Cafe.......Proscuitto, Mozzarela, Basil and Balsamic...about 14" long pilled high $5.25!! Bread backed fresh each day and frequently still warm.

Black-Gorrilla
07-14-2008, 19:53
A thing of beauty! The afore mentioned "Woodie Allen" from Sadie Catz Deli. This FYI is the small sized version.......Hot Lean Pastrami, Corned Beef, chopped liver and a shmeer of deli mustard on fresh rye.

Can i have a loaf of bread to go with that?

Splitlip
07-14-2008, 20:11
SoFla guys.
TooJays

DollFin
07-15-2008, 11:07
Homemade IS Always better. My preference. Was "Best Sandwich"? Store or Home made? Do love a Shrimp Hoagie in New Orleans.

Um... that would be a "Shrimp PO'BOY"!! Damm Yankees! :)

unclepooty
07-15-2008, 11:13

:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36:

diver 85
07-15-2008, 11:28

2nd your opinion----send them all back home.......lol.......saw a sign @ the LSU/ UC Irvine College World Series Super Regional tournament.."Too bad the Civil War wasn't the best 2 out of 3"......

percussionist1
07-15-2008, 15:12
1. Angelo's Sliced Brisket Sandwich (Ft. Worth, TX)

2. Pulled Pork Sandwich (pretty much anywhere)

3. Jersey Mikes #13 "Mike's Way"

Suther2136
07-15-2008, 20:48
The true best man sandwich is a "Ferdie Special" at Mothers in New Orleans! Washed down with a couple of Blackened Voodoo's If you've had one you know what I mean, enough said, if not it's hard to get you there in writing.

Rileybri
07-15-2008, 20:59

Come on up to VT for some diving and I will buy luch!:smiley20:

paulwall
07-17-2008, 15:12
The true best man sandwich is a "Ferdie Special" at Mothers in New Orleans! Washed down with a couple of Blackened Voodoo's If you've had one you know what I mean, enough said, if not it's hard to get you there in writing.

Only if you're from out of town...

There are much better sandwiches than you'll find at Mothers - cheaper, too.

DollFin
07-17-2008, 17:26

Only if you're from out of town...

There are much better sandwiches than you'll find at Mothers - cheaper, too.

...and that you don't have to stand in line in the blazing sun/pouring rain on Poydras Ave. for an hour just to get in the door!!

zahgurim
07-18-2008, 09:12
Best sandwich? That's easy:

It's the one I just ate.

I always have another best sandwich on my mind...

roofless
07-18-2008, 09:31
Not very manly, and requires some prep, but I love this mozzarella & roasted bell pepper sandwich w/balsamic basil vinaigrette. It's also very pretty.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3095/2376599997_cd6a0382d7.jpg

here's the recipe (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2387/2343605644_1c57f6ca62_o.jpg). I got it out of a Carnival Cruise magazine.

pir8
07-18-2008, 09:41
John's Roast Pork in Phila has been rated one of the best sandwiches in the country!!!

Black-Gorrilla
07-18-2008, 12:55

Come on up to VT for some diving and I will buy luch!:smiley20:

i will definitely let you know when i head up that way (free lunch is never bad) I wanna see what you guys do with that pile of meat on two slithers of bread :)

maverick
07-18-2008, 15:44
Bologna and mustard

Taigin
07-18-2008, 22:37
Humph. Obviously no one from Rhode Island in this thread.

D'Angelo's steak sandwich, cheese, green peppers, mushrooms, ketchup.

I'm living in Hawaii now, and I have yet to find a good sandwich shop out here.

LittleOtter
07-18-2008, 23:34
The best is a burger grilled at 700 degrees with a liberal sprinkeling of moonshine or you favorite alchohol:smiley20: don't worry it's all legal as far as I know my grandparents still have a contract with the government but they can't taste anything so my cousins and I are the taste testers.

Bert
07-21-2008, 10:55
Tubby's Mushroom steak and cheese, withe side order of mushrooms, or ongion chips.

The Crowing
07-21-2008, 10:58

I go there frequently, Wonderful burgers. They use angus beef for all their burgers, and you can get buffalo burgers too. Also they have chipotle flavored ketchup that is awesome.

NeveSSL
07-28-2008, 05:50
My perfect sandwich is Schlotzsky's Deli. I can't remember exactly which ones it is, but I think its a turkey sandwich on a large, round sourdough bun of sorts. That and some jalepeno chips and I'm set. :D

Brandon

roofless
07-28-2008, 08:54
My perfect sandwich is Schlotzsky's Deli. I can't remember exactly which ones it is, but I think its a turkey sandwich on a large, round sourdough bun of sorts. That and some jalepeno chips and I'm set. :D

Brandon

The Schlotzsky's 'Original'. That's my go-to lunch when I'm not in the mood for anything else. I can always eat one of those w/a bag of jalapeno chips.

http://static.flickr.com/55/113940668_65558f28e5_m.jpg

obrules15
07-28-2008, 09:12
Avocado BLT from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI. Wonderful Apple Smoked Bacon and fresh baked bread. AMAZING!!!!

NeveSSL
07-28-2008, 11:29

Brandon

The Schlotzsky's 'Original'. That's my go-to lunch when I'm not in the mood for anything else. I can always eat one of those w/a bag of jalapeno chips.

Amen, brother, amen. :D

Love the picture, BTW. That must be what I usually get as well. The closest one is like 50 miles away, though. :(

Brandon

roofless
07-28-2008, 12:01

Brandon

The Schlotzsky's 'Original'. w/a bag of jalapeno chips.

Love the picture, BTW. That must be what I usually get as well. The closest one is like 50 miles away, though. :(

I'm eating this lunch right now! :icon_smile_tongue:

NeveSSL
07-28-2008, 12:21

Brandon

The Schlotzsky's 'Original'. w/a bag of jalapeno chips.

I'm eating this lunch right now! :icon_smile_tongue:

Ah man! You suck! I'll probably have Ramen noodles. Oriental, to be exact. :D

Brandon

blueeyeddiver
07-28-2008, 21:04
FMF

:smiley2:

Lawdude
07-30-2008, 20:41
"Hot and Sweet, but uses your bread and very cheesy,"

two slices of bread (duh) spread with spicy mango chutney
sliced cheicken breast
Nori (seaweed)
your favorite kind of cheese and lots of it.

Heat it in micorwave, pie irons, or George Foreman

I can just feel the asskicking coming, how about you guys?

Trey9123
07-30-2008, 21:23
South Carolina Pulled pork with Morices Mustard BBQ Sauce

dmccarver1
08-29-2008, 09:39
smashed sandwich in Marsielle, France and flying-fish sandwich in Barbados. the bread was awesome.

GIFFMANN
08-29-2008, 09:50
Hamburgers from Louis Lunch in New Haven, CT....the birth place of the hamburger. You will NOT find a better burger and they do not allow ketchup on the premises.

For a make at home sandwich, try some hearty bread like a true country white, brown it on a griddle with some butter, a bit of mayo some slick sliced bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and an over easy/medium egg.

monant
08-29-2008, 12:29
The best sandwich is any sandwich may wife make for me. Self made sandwiches are not as good as wife made sandwiches.

shovelhead91701
08-29-2008, 12:45
I'll be honest didn't want to read all of the posts so someone may have named "sandwich nirvana" before me but here I go anyways.......

THE BEST SANDWICH IN THE WORLD IS THE MONTE CRISTO!!!!!

Look into your hearts and I know you will agree.....I mean come on, it's a sandwich and its DEEP FRIED!!!! Its covered in powdered sugar for goodness sakes!!!! How could any sandwich top this? Really?:smiley20::smilie39:

Splitlip
08-29-2008, 20:33
The best sandwich is any sandwich may wife make for me. Self made sandwiches are not as good as wife made sandwiches.

I guess she watches this forum? :smiley2:

Splitlip
08-29-2008, 20:35
I'll be honest didn't want to read all of the posts so someone may have named "sandwich nirvana" before me but here I go anyways.......

Look into your hearts and I know you will agree.....I mean come on, it's a sandwich and its DEEP FRIED!!!! Its covered in powdered sugar for goodness sakes!!!! How could any sandwich top this? Really?:smiley20::smilie39:

Uh, hmm eh..

You trim the crust and it comes from France.

Ah...this is the MAN LAWS forum.

LaCroix42
08-29-2008, 21:39
I don't know if this has been brought up before either, but here goes.

Blimpie best on wheat, lettuce, tomato, onion, jalapeno. Salt, pepper, oregano, vinegar, oil. Perfect!

cbope
08-30-2008, 00:45

Another vote for the Monte Cristo here! Can't go wrong with a good Philly steak and cheese either.

highdesert
08-30-2008, 06:54
Have to post my breakfast favorite ...

One egg plus an extra egg white in the pan, fried with salt, pepper, and some Mrs. Dash seasoning ... white cheddar or Jarlsberg Swiss melted on top. Toast a couple pieces of good wheat bread, smear them with coarse German mustard and mayo, slap on the egg and a half, add a layer of dill pickle relish, maybe a handful of sprouts, and go for it. Change of pace ... fry the egg with a real thin slice of ham.

shovelhead91701
08-30-2008, 08:06

Uh, hmm eh..

I guess you don't eat freedom fries either? :smilie39:

Gumby
08-30-2008, 10:39
Italian beef and sausage with mild and hot giardiniera peppers. Lots of good places in Chicago, but I've been known to drive half way to the moon and back for Novi's (http://www.novis-catering.com/restaurant_menu.php)

bubble-head
08-31-2008, 19:05
Echoing the great Bufford T. Justice, the Diablo Sandwich with a Dr. Pepper has achieved legendary status.

Splitlip
08-31-2008, 21:23

Uh, hmm eh..

I guess you don't eat freedom fries either? :smilie39:
:smiley32:

tndiverdude
08-31-2008, 21:59
This one my wife makes and it gives me heartburn from hell

Meatballs stuffed with a whole small garlic clove, rolled in flour and fried in oil. On a fresh Garlic bread spoon hot spicy marinara sauce then layer with four cheese slices of munster, provolone, whole milk mozzerella and shredded fresh parmesean /romano
spoon the meatballs on top of that top with peperoccini, chopped black olives, green peppers, diced onions ,and fresh oregano.
try an close, brush bread with egg and sprinkle cheese on top bake until toasty

its wonderful

Splitlip
08-31-2008, 22:22
This one my wife makes and it gives me heartburn from hell

Meatballs stuffed with a whole small garlic clove, rolled in flour and fried in oil. On a fresh Garlic bread spoon hot spicy marinara sauce then layer with four cheese slices of munster, provolone, whole milk mozzerella and shredded fresh parmesean /romano
spoon the meatballs on top of that top with peperoccini, chopped black olives, green peppers, diced onions ,and fresh oregano.
try an close, brush bread with egg and sprinkle cheese on top bake until toasty

its wonderful

Now. THAT is a sandwich!:smiley20:

Joe_Tucker
09-01-2008, 20:27
80/20 Angus Burger with Cheedar Cheese. Freshly baked bun, tomato, ketchup, mustard, a little onion. Cheese burger in paradise.